PDA

View Full Version : How to manifest psionic powers without a psionic class

aabicus
2012-06-03, 02:31 PM
Just want to run this up the flagpole and see if it actually works.
---------------

1. Be a maenad (simplest way). You get 2 psionic points. (Fighter recommended for feat requirements)
2. Do Independant research to learn a psionic power - http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#independentResearch
3. Overchannel, bumps casting level from 0 to 1 - http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#overchannel
4. optional, but you can take Talented for no hp loss - http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#talented

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-03, 02:35 PM
Kalashtar nets more pp, I'd advise taking Hidden/Wild talent. Also, iirc, if you don't have levels in a manifesting class ml=hd.

Zaq
2012-06-03, 02:36 PM
Independent research states that "any kind of manifester" can do it. You are not a manifester, so I don't believe that this works.

Also, I could have sworn that there was a clause in there somewhere saying that independent research couldn't increase your powers known beyond what your class allows (which is why you don't see Wilders doing it constantly), but my eyes must be skipping over it. Since I can't find it, I might be mistaken about it, but if someone else can point it out, that'd be cool.

Jeraa
2012-06-03, 02:47 PM
Also, I could have sworn that there was a clause in there somewhere saying that independent research couldn't increase your powers known beyond what your class allows (which is why you don't see Wilders doing it constantly), but my eyes must be skipping over it. Since I can't find it, I might be mistaken about it, but if someone else can point it out, that'd be cool.

Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 64. Its not part of the SRD.

The number of powers that all psionic classes can know is strictly limited; manifesters can never exceed those limits even through the research of original powers.

Zaq
2012-06-03, 02:50 PM
Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 64. Its not part of the SRD.

There we go. Thanks.

aabicus
2012-06-03, 03:07 PM
So, it's illegal if you use the psionic's handbook, but for cheapskates like me who use only free stuff, it's technically valid? Though I supposed the 'any manifester' part might be a problem.

But could it be covered by the maenad's racial trait "inherently psionic"?

Jeraa
2012-06-03, 03:09 PM
Maenads gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.

Just having power points does not make you a manifester. You must have some other ability (like either a psionic class or the Hidden Talent [not Wild Talent] feat, or a race that actually grants manifesting abilities) that grants you the ability to manifest powers to be a manifester.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-03, 03:13 PM
It looks like you'll need to get the Hidden Talent feat to be able to manifest a power for this to work. Hidden Talent only appears in the XPH, it's not found in the SRD, so you won't be able to conveniently ignore the rule about using independent research to exceed your maximum number of powers known. Simply put, this combo doesn't work at all.

aabicus
2012-06-03, 03:23 PM
I guess I'll just take a rank in Psychic Warrior then.

Thanks guys.