PDA

View Full Version : Did The Goat Turn Yet?

Jack of Spades
2012-06-03, 03:33 PM
So, I was re-reading the comic, and I got to the Roy's father's prophecy/prediction in comic #15, "When the goat turns red strikes true" or "When the goat turns, Red strikes true." I was immediately reminded of the fact that Ian Starshine makes note of the fact that he was once known as "Red." So, despite the fact that the prophecy has been "fulfilled" at least once before, I am drawn to assume that Ian is the "Red" in question.

So, how likely is this? Has a goat turned, and Ian strike true, and I missed it? Does this thread already exist (I couldn't find it via search)? Or has the Giant been planning something important involving Ian for the last 840 comics and counting? I really hope it's the latter.

Mutant Sheep
2012-06-03, 03:39 PM
My brain hurts and you should feel bad.

Mike Havran
2012-06-03, 03:48 PM
While I do hope that Ian will play a role at some point later on (though not necessarily in the current arc), I seriously doubt that the particular prophecy will be ever mentioned again (in the comics, that is). I think it was just meant to point out/spoof some tropes related to the "messages from beyond", and it fulfilled its purpose well before the comics started to have bigger ambitions.

Hardcore
2012-06-03, 03:56 PM
{Scrubbed}

SaintRidley
2012-06-03, 04:00 PM
So, how likely is this? Has a goat turned, and Ian strike true, and I missed it? Does this thread already exist (I couldn't find it via search)? Or has the Giant been planning something important involving Ian for the last 840 comics and counting? I really hope it's the latter.

To answer your questions in order: Not at all likely, no, no, no. You hope in vain.

Have a pleasant day.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-06-03, 04:12 PM
For a moment I thought we had found the ultimate example of thread necromancy...

CoffeeIncluded
2012-06-03, 04:13 PM
For a moment I thought we had found the ultimate example of thread necromancy...

NerfTW
2012-06-03, 04:36 PM
So, I was re-reading the comic, and I got to the Roy's father's prophecy/prediction in comic #15, "When the goat turns red strikes true" or "When the goat turns, Red strikes true." I was immediately reminded of the fact that Ian Starshine makes note of the fact that he was once known as "Red." So, despite the fact that the prophecy has been "fulfilled" at least once before, I am drawn to assume that Ian is the "Red" in question.

No, he makes note of the fact that he was known as "Red" to jog any less attentive reader's memories that he is in fact Haley's father.

The prophecy was fulfilled TWICE. The Chimera, Trigak, and the first battle with the Linear Guild. To answer your question, YES, it happened already, and no, I strenuously doubt that it's going to come up a third time, 7 years later, having never been mentioned EVER in the intervening 7 years.

Especially since it was delivered by Eugene, not an oracle, and he would have had no reason to have pestered Roy at that point about an event that wouldn't happen for over a year (their time) that he wouldn't care anything about. He just wanted Roy to beat Xykon. Why would he deliver a prophecy about a guy in jail on another continent that Roy would have no reason to ever visit at that point?

Edit- Oh, not to mention that strip 78 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0078.html), right after the battle, Eugene himself says the prophecy referred to Haley shooting at Nale in that exact battle. So no. Absolutely not.

martianmister
2012-06-03, 06:19 PM

That would be so awesome.

martianmister
2012-06-03, 06:20 PM

Chessgeek
2012-06-03, 06:35 PM

Did you quote both posts?

Chessgeek
2012-06-03, 06:36 PM

Gift Jeraff
2012-06-03, 06:46 PM
Clicking the green arrow things says yes. :smallamused:

Dark Elf Bard
2012-06-03, 06:48 PM
Really?

No, no, It's SO obvious that Ian will discover that Tarquin's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather was a goat (kinky) and that Tarquin will knock over a can of red paint, marking him CLEARLY for Ian to strike.

Jack of Spades
2012-06-03, 06:53 PM
Really?

No, no, It's SO obvious that Ian will discover that Tarquin's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather was a goat (kinky) and that Tarquin will knock over a can of red paint, marking him CLEARLY for Ian to strike.

Finally, someone who isn't out to drown me in their hateful, ouchy cynicism and better knowledge of the timeline than me :smallwink:

martianmister
2012-06-03, 06:56 PM

Real question: Did you quote both posts? :smalltongue:

WindStruck
2012-06-03, 07:06 PM
Or maybe Nale will turn tail and escape. Meanwhile, wherever Ian Starshine is hiding out.... He'll be playing darts and suddenly get all bull's eyes (or even the tiny sliver that's actually worth MORE).

Also at the same time, Haley will have to disarm a trap by ricocheting an arrow off of 4 statues and a gong, but they'll probably just not try and go somewhere else or run through it.

137beth
2012-06-03, 07:07 PM
Finally, someone who isn't out to drown me in their hateful, ouchy cynicism and better knowledge of the timeline than me :smallwink:

Pffft, your speculations are tame, the real question is:
In strip #2, Elan sang about his new skill points. So he could have been randomly singing...or MAYBE he was using his Bardic Music class feature. So the question is, what bonus was he getting from that song!?!?

Answer: Yes, the goat already turned, and no, it will never come up again. Ever.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-06-03, 07:16 PM
Yeah, that Prophesy has been fulfilled. :smallwink:

What I'm waiting on is the return of Hilgya, with Durkon's Love Child in tow!

Hell Hath No Fury... Than a Single Mom Scorned! Ouch!

t209
2012-06-03, 08:01 PM
I never thought of the double prophecy. I think Rich can unleash double prophecy on someone.

Mutant Sheep
2012-06-03, 08:07 PM
Real question: Did you quote both posts? :smalltongue:

You guys double posted on purpose to laugh at another persons double post laughing at another persons double post... WHO ARE THESE GUYS??:smalleek::smalltongue:
My brain hurts less now and you should feel good. :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2012-06-03, 08:11 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you like double posts, so I put a double post in your double post so you can double post while you double post.

:smallbiggrin:

Flame of Anor
2012-06-03, 08:16 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you like double posts, so I put a double post in your double post so you can double post while you double post.

:smallbiggrin:

You're pretty cool, by the way. I hope you know that. :smallsmile:

malloyd
Especially since it was delivered by Eugene, not an oracle, and he would have had no reason to have pestered Roy at that point about an event that wouldn't happen for over a year (their time) that he wouldn't care anything about.

Though that does leave an interesting question, how did Eugene know? Nobody else who has been shown dead seems to have gained an ability to prophecy, nor does Eugene make another one. I'm assuming the real answer is this early in the strip Rich hadn't plotted anything out in much detail, but even then, well *I've* certainly constructed links to adventure plots retroactively.

Gift Jeraff
I never thought of the double prophecy. I think Rich can unleash double prophecy on someone.Is a double prophecy like a double post?

Siosilvar
2012-06-03, 08:39 PM
Is a double prophecy like a double post?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Go ask the Oracle about it.

Gift Jeraff
2012-06-03, 08:48 PM
So it's like when a deity accidentally says something twice due to poor interplanar connection? Maybe they should upgrade to a new servant.

t209
2012-06-03, 10:10 PM
Is a double prophecy like a double post?

No! I mean like Fulfilling it more than once or twice if you count the chimaera's death.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-03, 10:30 PM
My brain hurts and you should feel bad.

I agree. Now let's talk about stuff that really matters like is Therkla Red Cloak's niece or Thog's sister?:smallwink:

the_tick_rules
2012-06-03, 10:53 PM
maybe he forgot.

Unisus
2012-06-04, 05:26 AM
On the "double prophecy"-thing: seeing how nearly any given prophecy is fulfilled in some way (as you connect actual situations to prophecies they fit), there is no reason why there should not be more than one situation where you could say that given prophecy is met. And that is exactly what happened in the comic. While Eugene's prophecy actually predicted the situation with Nale, the OotS at first interpreted it with the chimera.

Whiffet
2012-06-04, 07:20 PM
So it's like when a deity accidentally says something twice due to poor interplanar connection? Maybe they should upgrade to a new servant.

That was funny. Then I realized there was a pun in there and it was even funnier. :smallbiggrin:

Caractacus
2012-06-06, 10:15 AM

Or should that be 'savant'? :smalltongue:

denthor
2012-06-06, 05:33 PM

CoffeeIncluded thank you for bringing laughter to my day.:smallbiggrin:

I was feeling down your comment made me smile. plus 351 for you.

Minor and Major fullfillment of a prophecy interesting thought

Morquard
2012-06-08, 08:28 PM
Though that does leave an interesting question, how did Eugene know? Nobody else who has been shown dead seems to have gained an ability to prophecy, nor does Eugene make another one. I'm assuming the real answer is this early in the strip Rich hadn't plotted anything out in much detail, but even then, well *I've* certainly constructed links to adventure plots retroactively.
Rich said somewhere, I think in a comment in one of the books, that till around strip 100 there was no real plotline, and he only came up with it at around that time.

But Eugene is a mage, he might have cast a divination spell that gave him some small insight into the future that he then passed on. Or some of the devas gave him a note that he actually passed on instead of burn unread.

Kish
2012-06-09, 10:14 AM
Eugene barred Divination*, remember?

*Information from On the Origin of PCs. Yes, you could bar Divination in 3.0ed, which On the Origin of PCs was. If he was updated to 3.5ed post-death, presumably he was forced to redo his barred schools, but he'd still have a spellbook mostly or entirely devoid of Divination spells.

Jack of Spades
2012-06-10, 06:37 AM
Eugene barred Divination*, remember?

*Information from On the Origin of PCs. Yes, you could bar Divination in 3.0ed, which On the Origin of PCs was. If he was updated to 3.5ed post-death, presumably he was forced to redo his barred schools, but he'd still have a spellbook mostly or entirely devoid of Divination spells.

Well, Eugene can cast (possibly Greater) Scrying, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html) so assumedly he picked up some Divination spells after the edition shift.

stsasser
2012-06-10, 08:04 AM

That's nothing! In #1000, I predict:

NOTHING! and shame on you for even looking.

:smallcool:

grimbold
2012-06-11, 11:31 AM

me too

this thread made me do a double take :P

anywho on topic, i think that prophecy is more of the "Old oots" which wasn't as serious as it is now and thus will not be brought up again

Kaemon
2012-06-11, 06:41 PM
:mitd: { What goat? )