PDA

View Full Version : Tarrasque idea... too much? how to change if necessary

inuyasha
2012-06-03, 07:50 PM
I am making a friend of mine make a party of 4 20th level characters using basically any rescources he could (spell compendium, defenders of faith, tome and blood, etc.) to go up against a titan and his pet... THE TARRASQUE. he has been playing a lot longer than I have :eek: . If you could please point out titan/tarrasque weaknesses and how to counter them that would be great or if you think I need to change something. (not too minor or major though, I just wanna stick with titan/tarrasque)
P.S. the titan has many magic items to protect himself such as: 2 rings of protection one +4 and one +5, +4 amulet of natural armor, +7 bracers of armor, a cloak of displacement (50% miss chance), and his weapon instead of a gargantuan warhammer is a gargantuan hammer of thunderbolts
:smallbiggrin:

VGLordR2
2012-06-03, 07:56 PM
This encounter will be a walk in the park for a level twenty party. Also, be sure to read the stacking rules; rings of protection do not stack.

Runestar
2012-06-03, 08:15 PM
A lot of your titan's magic gear will not stack. The 2 rings of protection will overlap (so only the better one applies), bracers of protection will be superseded by his magical fullplate, amulet of NA will stack though, as does the miss chance (as the titan had none to start with).

From what I see, the tarrasque's biggest weakness is that it is a purely melee foe trying to survive in a high-level arena (where melee-only enemies are really the easiest to defeat, between high lv no-save disabling spells like irresistable dance, forcecage and maze).

Even without abusing the system, a heightened slow easily reduces the tarrasque to 1 attack/round. I use slow instead of some other spell like dominate monster because astute DMs may try to compensate for a tarrasque's traditional weaknesses by tacking on templates like monster of legend, or supporting with buffs. However, the presence of the titan can complicate things, mainly due to its dispel SLA.

So my advice - forcecage the titan, concentrate on taking down the tarrasque, then dismiss the cage and focus fire on the titan. :smallamused: