PDA

View Full Version : Talking Animals.. How? [3.5]

Roto
2012-06-03, 10:03 PM
I'm looking to make a cat being able to speak so that people can understand it. What do you think the best way to do that is? I'm open to Magic Items, spells, etc.. Any and all books are fair game.. Just need some advice..

Acanous
2012-06-03, 10:08 PM
Tibbit. It's a race.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-03, 10:10 PM
I'm looking to make a cat being able to speak so that people can understand it. What do you think the best way to do that is? I'm open to Magic Items, spells, etc.. Any and all books are fair game.. Just need some advice..

Awaken Animal; spell in the PHB.

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:11 PM
Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) spell, in the PHB.

VGLordR2
2012-06-03, 10:11 PM
Tibbit. It's a race.

Tibbits specifically cannot speak in cat form.

Invader
2012-06-03, 10:23 PM
You could use a pearl of speech but don't expect to get engaging conversation with something with an int of 2 or less.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-03, 10:51 PM
Engaging?
No.
Entertaining?
Oh heckles cakes yes.

Bonus points of you role play it in lolcat.

TuggyNE
2012-06-04, 03:20 AM
Engaging?
No.
Entertaining?
Oh heckles cakes yes.

Bonus points of you role play it in lolcat.

I second this awesomesauce suggestion.

In fact that is how one of my party members roleplayed her magebred tiger's occasional outbursts: "I CAN HAS EATS NAO?" We didn't get the chance to try Intimidate checks with that, sadly....

Darrin
2012-06-04, 06:50 AM
Pearl of Speech. 600 GP, MIC.

Although there's nothing in the rules that says a creature with animal intelligence (Int 2) can't speak, presumably you'd want an Int of 3, which means by RAW they understand Common. The easiest way to bump up a creature's Int to 3 is slap on a fiendish/celestial template (or anarchic, or axiomatic, or pseudonatural).

JeminiZero
2012-06-04, 07:05 AM
The easiest way to bump up a creature's Int to 3 is slap on a fiendish/celestial template (or anarchic, or axiomatic, or pseudonatural).

Or just buy a +2 Int item for 4k gp.

Prime32
2012-06-04, 08:31 AM
Are you trying to give an existing animal the power of speech, or are you trying to build a PC or NPC from scratch?

Downysole
2012-06-04, 09:35 AM
Awaken is definitely the best way if you're going for a magical kitty. But if you're looking to make this just an animal with the ability to speak, I don't think you can.

By adding intelligence, you get a creature that can understand and communicate, but you don't suddenly turn its larynx into something that can provide speech. Awakening does that, but it turns them into a magical creature, not an animal.

Invader
2012-06-04, 12:09 PM
Awaken is definitely the best way if you're going for a magical kitty. But if you're looking to make this just an animal with the ability to speak, I don't think you can.

By adding intelligence, you get a creature that can understand and communicate, but you don't suddenly turn its larynx into something that can provide speech. Awakening does that, but it turns them into a magical creature, not an animal.

The aforementioned pearl of speech works perfectly, even better if added with a scarlet and blue ioun stone or some other int bonus magic item.

Downysole
2012-06-04, 03:18 PM
Plus, your kitty could tell you what to do! (see command ability once per day).

Ravens_cry
2012-06-04, 04:12 PM
Plus, your kitty could tell you what to do! (see command ability once per day).
Nah, all cats have that. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c)
:smallbiggrin: