PDA

View Full Version : If a player is effected by Flesh to Stone, do they have Hardness instead of HP?

TheRinni
2012-06-03, 10:44 PM
One of my players mentioned that the Flesh to Stone spell granted a DR value of 20, and gained a Hardness value in place of HP.

I can't find this in the books. Can someone point me to it?

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:49 PM
Even objects have both hardness and hp, so this can only be wrong.

TheRinni
2012-06-03, 10:54 PM
Even objects have both hardness and hp, so this can only be wrong.

I guess the follow-up question from this would be: What is the hardness for a medium, stone statue?

Jeraa
2012-06-03, 10:59 PM
I guess the follow-up question from this would be: What is the hardness for a medium, stone statue?

Hardness does not vary by size, but by material. Stone, no matter how big an object or thickness, has hardness 8.

The hardness of various materials can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#hardness).

ThiagoMartell
2012-06-03, 10:59 PM

Hardness depends only on the material. Stone has hardness 8.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-04, 01:17 AM
HP is presumably same as base, or you can recalculate using material hp if you have the time and inclination.

SSGoW
2012-06-04, 11:09 AM
Well have your monster have levels of Warblade and using Mountain Hammer so that it just doesn't matter :p

ericgrau
2012-06-04, 11:27 AM
Hardness 8, 15 hp per inch of thickness: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#hardness

However, I would think even a wide 1 inch deep wound would be quite serious. Basically most foes except rogues who want to smash someone turned to stone can do so quickly. Fire and lightning do half damage, ice 1/4 damage, sonic and acid full damage, but in all 5 cases you subtract hardness afterwards. I know people tend to get confused about sonic and acid.

There is a similar spell called iron body where hp is the same as the player's hp, but I think this situation is different.

planswalker
2012-07-03, 05:08 AM
Energy Attacks: Acid and sonic attacks deal
damage to most objects just as they do to
creatures; roll damage and apply it
normally after a successful hit. Electricity
and fire attacks deal half
damage to most objects; divide
the damage dealt by 2 before
applying the hardness. Cold
attacks deal one-quarter
damage to most objects;
divide the damage dealt
by 4 before applying the
hardness.

AFAIK, most creatures do not have hardness. The bolded clause seems to indicate that you do not apply hardness.

and if you want to reference the paragraph about hardness, that is talking about damaging objects in general. Specific trumps general.

ericgrau
2012-07-03, 05:30 AM
This was clarified in the rules compendium to be as I said.

And just because most creatures don't have hardness doesn't mean it doesn't apply when they do. There's even the spell statue to give a creature hardness. Heck, from all the surrounding rules you could take it as implied that subtracting hardness is a normal step for all damage and it's just that some damage types need to specify at which step you half it. Sundering doesn't mention subtracting hardness either.

planswalker
2012-07-03, 05:32 AM
you could have just left it at "fixed in rules compendium".

There was really no need to bring up patently absurd interpetations of the rules.

ericgrau
2012-07-03, 05:33 AM
It's an explanation of a confusing rule not a rules change.

Speculation about non-existant rules is not RAW nor specific. I think complete absence of information is the opposite of "specific".

I can understand accidentally interpreting it that way, I can't understand proclaiming it as the absolute truth when it simply isn't specified that well in that particular section.

planswalker
2012-07-03, 05:37 AM
yes, they fixed it... it was confusingly worded before, and they fixed that by making it unambiguous.

I find your concept of what does and doesn't constitute a rule to be very convenient for your side, but whatever. Your first line convinced me I was wrong, since the rules compendium is an updated collection of rules with many issues fixed, both in the kind of errata and simply clarifying ambiguous language.