PDA

View Full Version : Staff of Limited Wish (mayfly)

0Megabyte
2012-06-03, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the help, in advance.

I'm trying to stat up a staff of limited wish for an artificer player, and honestly I just can't figure out the price. After struggling with the rules for awhile... I honestly give up. Has anyone else made a staff with these rules? The main problem is the extra XP that it costs per use, and how that interacts with the rules. Do I add that 25 times the XP price to the cost of making it, or just buying it, or what?

Basically, what do you guys think the price would be?

VGLordR2
2012-06-03, 11:05 PM
I would consult this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Creating_Magic_Items).

Quietus
2012-06-03, 11:09 PM
It'd be easy enough. Just build it as though it were any normal staff, then add the cost for the exp per use into it. Generally the cost is 5 gold per point of exp spent, so 1500 per use of Limited Wish. Multiply by 50 charges in the staff, and you get 75,000 GP just for the experience cost, plus the normal cost for the staff itself.

If you want to cut down the experience cost, then you can make Limited Wish take more charges. Divide the cost by the number of charges it takes, so if it takes 3 charges, it's 25,000 GP for exp cost. If it takes 5 charges, it's 15,000 GP. All separate from the cost of the staff, of course.

0Megabyte
2012-06-03, 11:56 PM

I'm aware. I have the rules. They're just unclear to me. For example, when adding the extra XP, do I add that to just the final price, or do I somehow add it to the price to create as well, since the only reason for it is that experience points are valued at 5 gp each?

That part was unclear to me. So, if making the staff, do I add 1/2 of that 75,000 GP, or is that only if I'm buying that staff, since my player would be using the experience points himself?

Ashtagon
2012-06-04, 02:07 AM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm is generally more reliable.

Masterwork quarterstaff: 600 gp

Materials: 375 x 7 (spell level) x 13 (minimum caster level) = 34,125 gp. This staff has a single power, so no extra material costs. Divide this number by the number of charges used for each casting of limited wish. 1/25 ths amount (1365) is spent in xp.

Spell component XP: 300 x 50 (charges) = 15,000 xp. Again, divide by the number of charges used per casting. Limited wish has no material component.

Total: 34,725 gp, 16,365 xp.

I expect there's a mistake in my calculations above. I never did fully grok those rules.

I would also rule that if the limited wish is used used to duplicate a spell that would normally cost more than 300 xp, one use is spent for each 300 xp (or part of 300 xp) cost of the duplicated spell. The spell allows for material components of up to 1000 gp value per casting to be duplicated. Again, if the limited wish is used to duplicate a spell that has material components worth more than 1000 gp, multiple uses are spent in that casting.

killianh
2012-06-04, 02:32 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm is generally more reliable.

Masterwork quarterstaff: 600 gp

Materials: 375 x 7 (spell level) x 13 (minimum caster level) = 34,125 gp. This staff has a single power, so no extra material costs. Divide this number by the number of charges used for each casting of limited wish. 1/25 ths amount (1365) is spent in xp.

Spell component XP: 300 x 50 (charges) = 15,000 xp. Again, divide by the number of charges used per casting. Limited wish has no material component.

Total: 34,725 gp, 16,365 xp.

I expect there's a mistake in my calculations above. I never did fully grok those rules.

I would also rule that if the limited wish is used used to duplicate a spell that would normally cost more than 300 xp, one use is spent for each 300 xp (or part of 300 xp) cost of the duplicated spell. The spell allows for material components of up to 1000 gp value per casting to be duplicated. Again, if the limited wish is used to duplicate a spell that has material components worth more than 1000 gp, multiple uses are spent in that casting.

If its unlimited use you calculate as if the staff had 100 charges.

Demonic_Spoon
2012-06-04, 02:43 AM
And here I was hoping for a staff that summons mayflies.:smallfrown:

Ashtagon
2012-06-04, 03:37 AM
If its unlimited use you calculate as if the staff had 100 charges.

Could have sworn the OP said limited :smalltongue:

krai
2012-06-04, 03:47 AM

I like the idea of a group of PCs showing up after a staff like that had been used and just finding an area littered with dead mayflies.

Sampi
2012-06-04, 04:05 AM

It's a Limited Wish staff, it can do that too.

CigarPete
2012-06-04, 08:12 AM
Since Limited Wish only has an XP cost when it is duplicating a spell with an XP cost, I would just have it take a second charge/300 XP.

ericgrau
2012-06-04, 11:57 AM
Limited wish always has an xp cost. When it duplicates a spell with an xp cost that might sometimes make it higher, that's all.

Remember these are only guidelines, so I wouldn't allow any loopholes. I wouldn't allow unlimited use limited wish nor would I let the player use it to duplicate spells with an expensive material cost or an xp cost over 300, unless he pays those costs himself.

On the flipside this staff is an excellent candidate for a high charge cost (1/2 to 1/4 price for 2-4 charges per spell) since the player simply won't need it that many times over an entire campaign. It's best for "Wtf is that and how could we have prepared for something so unusual and specific? Oh, limited wish!"

Duke of URL
2012-06-04, 12:03 PM
Another alternative, which would require a small amount of Rule 0, since this isn't explicitly allowed for or otherwise addressed in the rules, is to make the staff without the XP component built into it and require the user of the staff to provide the appropriate XP each time the staff is used.

While a houserule, I find it useful for those cases where you are trying to use spells that have a potentially variable XP or expensive material cost (animate dead is a classic case of the latter).

Yuki Akuma
2012-06-04, 12:04 PM
Since Limited Wish only has an XP cost when it is duplicating a spell with an XP cost, I would just have it take a second charge/300 XP.

People seem to love claiming this. It's not true. Limited Wish has an XP cost of 300. If it mimics a spell with an XP cost higher than 300, you just pay the higher cost, rather than both.

CigarPete
2012-06-04, 01:23 PM
People seem to love claiming this. It's not true. Limited Wish has an XP cost of 300. If it mimics a spell with an XP cost higher than 300, you just pay the higher cost, rather than both.

Limited Wish Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, XP
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: See text

Target, Effect, or
Area: See text
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

A limited wish lets you create nearly any type of effect. For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.

Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.

Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.

Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.

Undo the harmful effects of many spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.

Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a –7 penalty on its next saving throw.

A duplicated spell allows saving throws and spell resistance as normal (but the save DC is for a 7th-level spell). When a limited wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay that cost or 300 XP, whichever is more. When a limited wish spell duplicates a spell with a material component that costs more than 1,000 gp, you must provide that component.

XP Cost: 300 XP or more (see above).

Pretty clear to me.
When a limited wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay that cost or 300 XP, whichever is more.
Says nothing about paying an XP cost when the spell you are trying to replicate has none.

Duke of URL
2012-06-04, 01:27 PM
Pretty clear to me.
Says nothing about paying an XP cost when the spell you are trying to replicate has none.

Except the part that says:

XP Cost: 300 XP or more (see above).

300 XP is the minimum cost of using the spell; the details "above" provide for higher costs in certain cases. There is no provision for it ever costing less than 300 XP.

Fouredged Sword
2012-06-04, 08:06 PM
I would say that the staff can not be used in a way that would require more than 300 exp unless the maker deliberately used a higher exp equivalent than stated. The staff simply wasn't built with that level of power.