PDA

View Full Version : High Fiving Gloves [3.5 item needs advice and pricing]

Gandariel
2012-06-04, 03:33 AM
High Fiving Gloves
Moderate evocation

This pair of gloves can't be worn by a single person.
two different creatures must each wear one of them to make them function.
Three times per day, if the two creatures are adjacent, they can both use up their standard action for the turn to perform a High Five.
They both make a Strenght check.
If the sum of the results is less than 10, nothing happens.

If the difference between the two results is less than 5, every creature in a 30-foot radius take 6d8 sonic damage and are deafened for 1d4 hours (Ref save halves the damage and negates the stun)

If the difference between the two results is more than 15, every creature in a 30-foot radius take 2d8 sonic damage and are deafened for 1d4 rounds (Ref save halves the damage and negates the stun)

Otherwise, the clap deals 4d8 damage and deafens for 1d4 minutes.

What do you guys think?
What would be a good price for it?

Morph Bark
2012-06-04, 07:34 AM
If the difference between the two results is less than 5, every creature in a 30-foot radius take 6d8 sonic damage and are deafened for 1d4 hours (Ref save halves the damage and negates the stun)

If the difference between the two results is more than 15, every creature in a 30-foot radius take 2d8 sonic damage and are deafened for 1d4 rounds (Ref save halves the damage and negates the stun)

Otherwise, the clap deals 4d8 damage and deafens for 1d4 minutes.

What stun?

Callous
2012-06-04, 07:43 AM
Classic :smallwink:

Gandariel
2012-06-04, 08:32 AM
What stun?

Ops. I meant you dn't become deaf

DracoDei
2012-06-04, 12:16 PM
Even if both people have a strength of 10, the odds of rolling <10 on 2d20 are not very high.

Basing the effects on the DIFFERENCE between the results is VERY odd. It means that the best idea is actually to put one glove on the wizard's familiar (or have someone use handle animal to teach a mouse to high-five), and the other on the strongest character in the party. What is your rationale for this, or is that not what you meant?

Admiral Squish
2012-06-04, 12:22 PM
Even if both people have a strength of 10, the odds of rolling <10 on 2d20 are not very high.

Basing the effects on the DIFFERENCE between the results is VERY odd. It means that the best idea is actually to put one glove on the wizard's familiar (or have someone use handle animal to teach a mouse to high-five), and the other on the strongest character in the party. What is your rationale for this, or is that not what you meant?

Well, the greater the difference the less damage it deals, so ideally you'd want two characters with relatively close strength mods.

How does it deal with the difference in initiative ticks? does one character delay his turn until the other, or does the high-five hang in the air until the other character's turn, when they would then choose to return or ignore the offered high-five?

Gandariel
2012-06-04, 01:27 PM
Yes, in fact you ideally want two people with the same str mod (and possibly a high one, to avoid doing nothing).

I was thinking something along the lines of, "if two people give each other a high five and one is much stronger than the other, it's not really a high five, for it to be effective they gotta put in there the same strenght, more or less"

Should i remove it and put a fixed damage?

As for the initiative thing, i was imagining it like this:
Player one has initiative 10
Player two has initiative 5
When player one's turn comes up, he uses up all of his remaining actions as he wishes (move, swift, free) AND he "uses" his standard action for the gloves.
When player two's turn comes up, he uses his standard action too and the effect occurs.

Does it make sense?
or maybe should i just make it so that the one with highest initiative has to delay until the other guy's turn comes up.

ALSO: Any ideas on the price?

DracoDei
2012-06-04, 01:55 PM
Should i remove it and put a fixed damage?

No, I just derped and mis-read. Thought the damage went up as the difference went up.

Also, Delay isn't the only thing that can work... there are also readied actions. Or what you originally had, but you should spell that out in the item description.

It requires two characters, with synchronize actions, and it very variable with the effects (and having the strength modifiers both high and equal doesn't do much to affect that). I wouldn't put the price too much higher than an at-will item of 5d6 fireball (I could calculate this, but I am not feeling THAT generous, and you should familiarize yourself with the item-creation guidelines in the DMG if you aren't already).

Here is some "prior art" of mine (seriously, you should read this stuff this time around, it will probably be helpful).

First a feat that makes using items like this more practical (well, unless you keep your original envisioned mechanics, then it only helps a little): Gemini Strike (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116900).

And then the item with similar "team attack" themes that I created a while back: Arc Vest and Arcing Shield/Armor Enchantment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116902)

Gandariel
2012-06-04, 03:33 PM
Thank you very much, i think i'll go with the readied action thing, it looks the least messy to actually use.

Anyway the damage is sonic, it's 4d8, (average 18), plus deafens. I think it's a bit better than a 5d6 fireball.
I put a cap on 3 activations / day because, like most items, it would be stupid to have two charachter constantly using that. there would be no fun. Give a low-level charachter an At-Will item of Fireball and he won't use his sword for a few levels. And it gets boring when all you do is: i cast another fireball there.

I've also checked your links..
Gemini strike looks.. Well, i for one don't see anyone taking it because of all the prerequisites (Spring attack, Dodge and Mobility, which are not great feats on their own).
The idea is cool though, you all move, flank, attack, and go back leaving no squishy rogue there on the enemies' turn.

The arc vest is a bit like the gloves, i think D&D is kinda missing on cooperation actions. cool and powerful!

Morph Bark
2012-06-04, 05:50 PM
As for the initiative thing, i was imagining it like this:
Player one has initiative 10
Player two has initiative 5
When player one's turn comes up, he uses up all of his remaining actions as he wishes (move, swift, free) AND he "uses" his standard action for the gloves.
When player two's turn comes up, he uses his standard action too and the effect occurs.

Does it make sense?
or maybe should i just make it so that the one with highest initiative has to delay until the other guy's turn comes up.

ALSO: Any ideas on the price?

You mean he readies an action to high-five the second guy as soon as the second guy tries to high-five him?

Gandariel
2012-06-05, 01:29 AM
Yes, exactly.
I know it sounds stupid, but i think it's the simplest way to implement it

Techwarrior
2012-06-05, 10:58 PM
As has been pointed out, a d20 enters a lot of variance, much more than is useful for this item. Maybe the first one could have a d10 with the added Str bonus, and then have "better" versions just use smaller dice. No idea on pricing though.

Gandariel
2012-06-06, 06:15 AM
I could just drop the Str check thing and leave a fixed 4d8 damage.
i thought it would make the item more interesting, but i guess it's only messy.

So 4d8 and 1d4minutes it is!

still need pricing:
consider sonic damage (rarely resisted)
4d8 is about 5d6
deafens
BUT takes two players to activate

Veklim
2012-06-06, 08:42 AM
Just a quick thought, but on the activation front I did have a little idea...

The character initiating the high five readies an action, the person completing the high five uses a swift action (or a move action, whichever you feel more appropriate) at the start of their turn to finish it off (as long as they're adjacent/within reach). Would be slightly less action hungry since 2 standard actions equates to a fair chunk of time in a standard combat, and would be easier to rule for.