PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Necro Specalist Wizard vs. Oracle of Bones

Giegue
2012-06-04, 09:01 AM
I want to play a Necromancer in an upcomming game, yet am sick and tired of always having to be a cleric. However, in this game non APG content, including the wonderful JuJu mystery, are baned. So, basicly, that means that if I want to make an Oracle-based Necromancer I'll have to go with the rather craptastic Bones mystery and thats why I'm comming to you. In a normal/non-crazy OP level game, is a bones mystery Oracle even worth it, or should I just go wizard specialized in necromancy and forget undead minions instead? Undead minions are my favorite part of Necromancy, and I would like to play around with them a bit, but don't want to have to make a cleric AGAIN, and as a result am wondering if the Bones Mystery is really as bad as people say it is or if it can actually be playable. Also, if I do go with a Bones Mystery Oracle, I would like tips on spell selection, if you can give me that.

Likewise, is the wizard really all that lousy at undead minion use in pathfinder? I mean, while they can't animate undead until later levels, they get a lot of ways to control them early on, including pathfinder's equivalent of Rebuke Undead.(which they get for free unlike a cleric.)...so if I wanted to toy around with undead, still be useful otherwise and not be a cleric would the wizard be my best bet because or dose the Bones Mystery not suck as much as people say?

Waker
2012-06-04, 10:20 AM
I would say that if you were to focus on having undead minions, I think the Bones Oracle does it just slightly better. Undead Wizard however has a better spells outside of the necromancy school, making him more versatile. If you have played too much Cleric, I would say to just go with Wizard though. The class still has plenty that it can do. It's biggest weakness as far as being a necromancer goes is the lack of inflict wounds to heal up their minions.

NightbringerGGZ
2012-06-04, 10:23 AM
Personally, I'd go with the Bones Oracle over an Undead Wizard. Both can have negative energy channeling and Command Undead right at first level, but the Oracle uses Charisma for both the number of channels/day and the DC to resist them while the Wizard uses Intellect for the number/day but Charisma for the save DC.

The Oracle will get Lesser Animate Dead and Animate Dead a level faster than the Wizard, but you'll be a level behind for Animate Dead and Greater Animate Dead. Not a big deal since you're unlikely to hit the level you need for those spells in most games anyway. While you'll know fewer spells as an Oracle, you'll be getting a bunch of useful necromancy spells for free as you level. The revelations are also pretty useful. You're also able to spontaneously cast Inflict Wound spells to heal your undead minions.

Giegue
2012-06-04, 10:50 AM
Yeah, The Oracle itself is a great class, but I heard that the bones revilations all pretty much suck, hence why I was thinking about going wizard instead. However, since the generally agreed upon opinion is that the Oracle will be better at minions(the main thing I love about Necromancy) I think I'll just suck it up and take the Bones Mystery(Though I'd really prefer to use JuJu, which is awesome). However, since I don't really know how good the Bones revelations are, I would like to know if they are really as craptastic as people have said, or if they are actually useful.

Waker
2012-06-04, 11:13 AM
The Bone Revelations are underwhelming, the ones I would suggest would be: Undead Servitude (1st), Raise the Dead (3rd), Near Death (7th), Spirit Walk (11th), Bleeding Wounds (15th), Voice of the Grave (19th).
I hurt my jaw when yawning at most of these revelations. The only worthwhile ones are Undead Servitude, Raise the Dead and Spirit Walk. The others I just threw in to occupy space.
Armor of Bones is pretty much worthless, since you could just wear armor that was better.
Death's Touch is garbage right from the start. A maximum of 1d6+10, 3+Cha/day? Amazing!
Resist Life might be useful if you could actually channel negative energy so you could heal yours minions and yourself at the same time, but you don't get that option.
Soul Siphon might be worth it. 1/day energy drain that lasts for a few minutes is weak, but if you hit them with some other energy drain you could kill your enemies before they can run.
Voice of the Grave lets you copy a somewhat useful situation spell. Meh.