PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Criticals and lots of attacks: OP ideas

Fyermind
2012-06-04, 10:03 AM
I'd like to compile a list of abilities that benefit from lots of attacks, lead to lots of attacks, benefit lots of criticals, and lead to lots of criticals.

The core of my build ideas are:
Stump Knife: Arms and Equipment (Weapon: 19-20 crit range becomes 17-20 after dealing damage) edit: doesn't work due to doubling issues. Will use Kukri instead
Keen/improved critical: SRD (Enhancement/spell, feat:Doubles threat range, does not stack)
Disciple of Dispater: Book of Vile Darkness (prestige class: triples threat range with 7-8 levels, stacks with keen iirc)
Aptitude weapon: ??? (Enhancement: lets me treat stump knives as light maces)
Lightening maces: CW (Feat:Gives an extra attack with a light mace every time you score a threat with it)
Blood in the water: ToB (Stance: +1 stacking attack and damage with successful critical)
Karmic Strike: CW (Feat: take penalty to AC and extra damage from hits, if you are hit you get an AoO)
Rolibar's Gambit: PHB2 (Feat: attacking you provokes an AoO from you, you take a penalty to AC)
Double Hit: Miniatures Handbook (Feat: AoO with both weapons)
Necrocarnum Shroud: MoI (soulmeld: if a creature within 5' of you takes damage, stackable +1 to attack and damage for the rest of the round)

The effect: with all the threat range boosters, 4/5 3/5 of attacks are threats. This means each listed attack generates an average of 4 1.5 extra attacks. Being attacked and damaged generates an average of 20 10 attacks in response, roughly 16 6 of which are threats.

My questions:
1: Is this all legal?
2: Can I make my threat range wider?
3: How can I milk this framework for more cheese?
4: does weapon master's increase in threat range happen before or after threat range multipliers?

edits: I misread stump knife, so it doesn't flat change the threat range, but doubles it. This means until I find a better weapon I am stuck with the kukri's 18-20 as my base threat range, added question 4

JeminiZero
2012-06-04, 10:13 AM
3: How can I milk this framework for more cheese?

By using this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241913).

docnessuno
2012-06-04, 10:25 AM
Legality:
Stump knife doubles its threat range. Arguably being defined as a doubling means that 17-20 is not the new 'base' threat range.
This would mean the base threat range is 19-20, tripled (DoD), doubled (Stump knife), doubled (Improved critical) => x5 threat range => 11-20
If this is the case, using any 18-20 weapon would net you a better critical range (18-20 => x5 threat range => 9-20)

Improving threat range:
Psionic weapon master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) 7 lets you add +2 to the weapn threat range. Since you can apply your own bonuses in the most beneficial order, your range with a 18-20 weapon would become 2-20.

How to improve:
Extra arms + multiweapon fighting
Improving your to-hit chances (hitting touch AC for example)
Stormguard warrior feat (Combat rhythm)

Fruchtkracher
2012-06-04, 10:45 AM
Legality:

If this is the case, using any 18-20 weapon would net you a better critical range (18-20 => x5 threat range => 9-20)

wouldn't 18-20 x5 be a 6-20 threat range?

Fyermind
2012-06-04, 10:45 AM
iirc stump knife never mentions multiplication or doubling in it's description but says if becomes 17-20/x2. Clearly it IS doubling, but if it "becomes" rather than "doubles to" the exploit works. I am not at my books at the moment, so I'll probably edit this in a few hours.

Disciple of Dispater requires Iron or Steel for your weapons, so it doesn't stack with Psychic Weapon Masters bonded weapon.

Edit: it says "is doubled" I suppose this means I am back to kukri for my weapons. I was even getting a cool backstory to justify my build (lost hand at warblade academy, kicked out, learned to use stump knives like he'd used maces, trained as a fighter to meet all the feat reqs. etc.)

Campbellk8105
2012-06-04, 11:00 AM
I made a character in an evil campaign using the aptitude, lightning maces on kukri's that were keen, had imp. crit., and the disciple of dispater class levels. I believe the crit range was something like 12-20 or somethin like that.

VGLordR2
2012-06-04, 11:03 AM
I made a character in an evil campaign using the aptitude, lightning maces on kukri's that were keen, had imp. crit., and the disciple of dispater class levels. I believe the crit range was something like 12-20 or somethin like that.

Keen doesn't stack with other methods of increasing threat range.

Campbellk8105
2012-06-04, 11:14 AM
Yea i forgot about keen not stacking. I remember it was a Speed, Wounding Kukri.

docnessuno
2012-06-04, 12:28 PM
iirc stump knife never mentions multiplication or doubling in it's description but says if becomes 17-20/x2. Clearly it IS doubling, but if it "becomes" rather than "doubles to" the exploit works. I am not at my books at the moment, so I'll probably edit this in a few hours.

Against foes to whom you have dealt damage during a continuous melee, the stum kinfe's threat range is doubled (17-20).

Emphasis mine

Disciple of Dispater requires Iron or Steel for your weapons, so it doesn't stack with Psychic Weapon Masters bonded weapon.

Aptitude weapon solves this problem, either allowing you to use DoD with a crystal weapon or PWM with a steel one.

wouldn't 18-20 x5 be a 6-20 threat range?

The x5 multiplier was considering the doubling of the stump knife, so on another weapon is just x4.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-04, 01:23 PM
Aptitude weapon solves this problem, either allowing you to use DoD with a crystal weapon or PWM with a steel one.

Nope, Aptitude only works with feats which affect the use of a particular type of weapon, it has absolutely nothing to do with a weapon's materials, and it cannot work with class features which are not feats.

Fyermind
2012-06-04, 08:20 PM
Nope, Aptitude only works with feats which affect the use of a particular type of weapon, it has absolutely nothing to do with a weapon's materials, and it cannot work with class features which are not feats.

An I was getting exited about a Kaorti Resin weapon too :(

Fyermind
2012-06-04, 09:09 PM
It looks like adding AoO build ideas is incompatible with weapon master until very high levels, but having a 7-20 threat range (conservative reading) or 1-20 threat range (liberal reading) looks too good to pass up.

Feats:
Weapon focus (light Mace), Combat reflexes, two-weapon fighting, lightening maces, combat expertise, dodge, mobility, whirlwind attack, power attack, disciple of darkness, improved critical
Why:
Disciple of Dispater 7 (Combat expertise, disciple of darkness, power attack, +6 BAB, evil)
Weapon Master (Kensai) 7 (Combat Expertise, dodge, mobility, combat reflexes, weapon focus(weapon of choice), whirlwind attack, intimidate 4 ranks, +5 BAB)
Improved Critical
Lightening maces (weapon focus (light mace), combat reflexes, two-weapon fighting)

Levels:
Disciple of Dispater 7
Weapon Master 7

Sample build idea:
race:Strongheart halfling
abilities: 13 str, 15+ dex, con, 13 int, dump wis, dump cha
elite array:
12 (+1 at 4th, +1 at 20th), 17 (+1 at 8th, 12th, 16th), 12, 13, 10, 8
flaws: shaky, frail
Warblade 1: combat expertise, dodge, mobility, combat reflexes
Warblade 1/fighter 1: weapon focus (light mace)
Warblade 1/fighter 2: two-weapon fighting, lightening maces
warblade 1/fighter 3:
warblade 1/fighter 4: whirlwind attack
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 1: power attack
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 2:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 3:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 4: improved critical
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 5:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 6:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7:disciple of darkness
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 1:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 2:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 3: Rolibar's Gambit
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 4:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 5:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 6: Karmic Strike/Elusive Target
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 7:
warblade 1/fighter 4/ weapon master 7/disciple of dispater 8:

Fairly necessary Equipment:
2 +1 aptitude Feycraft cold iron kukri: total cost ~23,600gp

edits: polishing the build and putting some text outside of spoilers. As a note this build can be done without flaws by delaying twoweapon fighting to level 15 and lightening maces to level 18, but it becomes fairly unplayable until level 18 when it suddenly starts to win

jaybird
2012-06-04, 11:39 PM
Take a look at the Prismatic Burst enhancement. Yes, that's exactly what it sounds like.