PDA

View Full Version : [WFRP] The Waters of Life (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2

Thragka
2012-06-04, 10:05 AM
IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245410)

Welcome to the game! Please include your character sheet in your first post in this thread, so that it's easy to find and can be edited as necessary as the game progresses.

THE RULES
Activity

The expected post rate is no less than one post every two days. If you do not meet this, I will autopilot your character as necessary.
If you don't post for a week and haven't given any reason, I reserve the right to kill off your character.
Going on hiatus and giving a reason for it is totally fine, as long as you let me know and give me a good idea how long you'll be gone for. In this case, I'll autopilot your character until you return.


Posting

It's not necessary for you to colour your speech, but you're free to do so if you want to.
As a minor note, I will tend to write in the past tense, but you can go with past or present as you prefer.
Good spelling and grammar is somewhere between highly appreciated and necessary. I think we're going to have a lot of fun telling a good story (well, I hope so), and part of that is readability. Please take a short amount of time to make sure your posts are free of spelling errors and include capital letters at the start of sentences and quotation marks around speech.


Dice rolls

All rolls should be made with the forum dice roller, either in a spoiler in the IC thread or in a separate post in this thread.
You're free to, and indeed encouraged to, make most of any necessary rolls yourself. The exception is that if your character shouldn't know whether they've succeeded or failed - leave those to me and I'll roll in secret.
Tzeentch's Curse is always a secret roll.


Combat

When combat starts, I will roll everybody's initiative (if I remember to), so that we can jump to the action faster.
You can post out of initiative order. Please do! Once everyone has posted their actions for a round, I will resolve it in the correct order with an IC post and an OOC explanation. Such posts by me signify that one round has ended and another has begun.
I'd really appreciate it if you could try to post at least once per day when we're in combat time.
Here (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2413588/combat-crib-sheet-pdf-december-2-2010-11-26-am-801k?da=y) is a combat cheat sheet that might be useful for quick referencing during combat.


Spoilers

If a spoiler in the IC thread is marked X only, please do not read it if you are not X. I don't see this occurring very often, but hey, it might, so I thought I'd mention it now.


WFRP house rules originally created by LCP
At Your Mercy: Should one character be at another’s mercy (i.e. in a hold with a knife to their throat/back), the character holding the other hostage may make an attack against them under this condition. The attack will automatically hit the location of the hostage-holder’s choice. The damage is resolved as normal: however, in addition, it triggers a Critical Hit of the same value as if the victim had been at 0 wounds when the attack was made.

This condition applies solely at the GM’s discretion, and cannot be triggered simply by moving into contact with a character and declaring that you are holding them hostage: they must first either be overpowered by force or successfully snuck up upon.

Magic In Melee: A spellcaster who is engaged in combat must make a successful concentration (WP) test in order to cast a spell. Spells with multiple-round casting times require a concentration test every round that the spellcaster is engaged in combat.

Magic missiles may not be cast out of combat, although they may be cast on the wizard’s own attacker/s.

Point Blank Shots
Symmetrically to the -20% penalty for shooting a missile weapon at long range, a shot at Point Blank range (within 6 yards/3 squares) receives a +20% bonus. Pistol-type weapons fired in close combat do not receive this bonus.

Swift Attacks
All-out Attacks and Guarded Attacks can be made in conjunction with a Swift Attack, each remaining a Full Action and allowing the attacker to attack a number of times equal to his Attacks characteristic. The +20% from an AOA only applies to the first attack made; the -10% from a Guarded Attack applies to both attacks.

Critical Hits: ‘Medical Attention’
Wherever the rules specify a condition “until medical attention has been received,” this refers to a successful Heal test.

LCP's Mounted Combat House Rules
A rider and mount move as one unit. The rider essentially substitutes the mount's Movement score for his own; the mount acts as an extension to the rider at the rider's Initiative.
Mounts are split into two categories: trained for combat, and not trained for combat.

Failure Modes: Ways To Fall Off Your Horse
In combat, when riding a mount not trained for combat, making any of the following actions requires a Ride Check:
Charge Attack
Disengage
Jump/Leap
If the check is failed, the desired action may not be taken, and a half action is lost. If the check is failed by three degrees or more, the mount throws its rider and bolts: he will require a Stand action to get back to his feet, and may suffer falling damage if the mount is tall enough.
A rider who does not have Ride trained must test Ride (Ride being a Basic Skill) to perform the following actions, regardless of whether his mount is combat-trained:
Run (test at +30)
Jump/Leap
If the check is failed, he falls from the saddle, as described above. If the check is failed by 3 degrees or more, the mount also bolts.
In a situation where an untrained rider is riding an untrained mount, the second list takes priority over the first (i.e. should the rider fail a Ride check to induce his mount to Jump/Leap, he will fall from the saddle regardless of his degrees of failure).
Should a mount be killed while still being ridden, the rider must make an Ag test. A pass means he falls freely to the ground, exactly as if he had been thrown; a failure means he falls under the mount's body. Freeing himself is a full action, requiring a successful Strength test – he cannot stand or move from the spot where he has fallen until he is free.

Fighting From Horseback
When attacking enemies on foot, being mounted grants the Higher Ground bonus (+10%).
A mount counts as another friendly character for the purposes of Outnumbering.
Opponents in combat with a mounted combatant may choose freely to target either the rider or the mount.
One may not use the Dodge Blow skill while mounted.
When making a Charge Attack, a mounted character may make the attack at any point in his movement. The two squares before the attack is made must still be in a straight line, and there must still be at least two squares between the start of the move and the target for the move to qualify as a charge. Using the remaining movement to move on and out of contact does not trigger a free attack from the target.
If the rider made a Charge Attack, a combat-trained mount may make a Charge Attack alongside him. Otherwise, if the mount and rider have moved no further than would be allowed by a Half Move, it may make a Standard Attack; if it has not moved at all, it may make a Swift Attack.
Untrained mounts will not attack alongside the rider.
While mounted, the following actions may be combined with a Half or Full Move:

Aim (missile weapons only)
Standard Attack (missile weapons only)
Cast
Ready
Reload
Use a Skill
Should any of the above be taken as extended actions (e.g. a casting or reload time of more than one Full Action), they require a successful Ride check to avoid automatic failure.

ACTIVE PLAYER ROSTER
Since there's been quite a bit of change to the players, I thought it would be best to mark exactly who's still around out of the original bunch and link to the new players' character sheets. We are:
ZeltArruin with Heinrich Bischof (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13340472&postcount=4)
BlueMagnusStorm with Siegfried Lehirman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13340481&postcount=5)
TheSummoner with Lothar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14962860&postcount=430)
Perius with Sir Hector de Quincey (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14963621&postcount=433)


1

Map of Remy-sur-Orne
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/remysurorne.png


NPCs you have met or heard mentioned


Marperic d'Abenne, up-and-coming L'Anguiller merchant, employing you as caravan guards on an overland shortcut between L'Anguille and Couronne;
Achille Degaré, Marperic's business partner whom you were meant to meet in Remy-sur-Orne, and who has apparently cut a deal to sell Marperic's goods to Lord Forsard to avoid bankruptcy;
Laurent, young adult from Remy-sur-Orne, employed by Marperic as a guide and assistant while in Remy;
Marianne, female friend of Laurent's, seems distrustful of Émilie;
Émilie, local priestess of Shallya, pox-scarred, in her thirties, a matronly figure;
Gideon, Lord Forsard's bailiff, ordered Marperic not to trade until his cargo is inspected tomorrow, "only doing his duty" according to the innkeeper;
Edgard, the village elder, tall, with a distinctive nose, carries an ornate quarterstaff as a mark of office;
Ronsard, the innkeeper, proprietor of the nameless tavern, Remy-sur-Orne's sole inn;
Lord Ælfric Forsard, the Viscount Remy, local lord of Remy-sur-Orne, has struck a deal with Achille Degaré, expected to inspect Marperic's trade goods tomorrow morning;
Lord Leofric Forsard, Lord Ælfric's late father, said to be less harsh on his villagers and on merchants passing through;
Henri, moustached captain of the Wind Whisper, transported you from L'Anguille to Flers the first morning.

Hemnon
2012-06-04, 10:30 AM
Character Sheet

Character

Name: Valerie Hellsing
Race: Human
Current Career: Apprentice Wizard.
Previous Careers:


Personal Details

Age: 16
Gender: Female
Eye Color: Purple
Hair Color: Auburn
Weight: 115 Pounds (52.3 kg)
Height: 5' 4'' (1.65 m)
Star Sign: The Dancer - Sign of Love and Attraction
Number of Siblings: 2 (two twin elder brothers)
Birthplace: Diesdorf, Reikland
Distinguishing Marks: Strange Colored Eyes (a faint glow). Curious Smell (the scent of wild flowers)


Character Profile

Main
WS: 29%/0%/29%
BS: 31%/0%/31%
S: 34%/0%/34%
T: 37%/0%/37%
Ag: 27%/0%/27%
Int: 43%/0%/43%
WP: 37%/5%/42%
Fel: 31%/0%/31%

Secondary
A: 1/0/1
W: 11/0/11
SB: 3/0/3
TB: 3/0/3
M: 4/0/4
MAG: 0/1/1
IP: 0
FP: 3/0/3


Weapons

Name:Quarterstaff, Enc: 45, Group: Ordinary, Damage: SB-2.
Qualities:
Defensive (Grants +10% bonus on parry attempts when wielded), Pummeling (Grants +10% bonus to S when using the Strike to Stun talent). Best Quality (+5% to WS when wielded, encumbrence is reduced by 10%.

Name:Dagger, Enc: 10, Group: Ordinary, Damage: SB-3.
Qualities:
None


Armour
Advanced Armour:
Armour Type:
Encumbrance:
Location:
Armour Points:

Armour Type:
Encumbrance:
Location:
Armour Points:

Armour Type:
Encumbrance:
Location:
Armour Points:

Armour Type:
Encumbrance:
Location:
Armour Points:


Experience Points

+1 MAG (Free Starter Advance)
+5% WP (100)

Aethyric Attunement (100)


Available: 50
Total Spent: 200


Combat Movement

Move/Disengage: 8
Charge Attack: 16
Run: 24


Skills

Basic Skills
*Untrained
*Animal Care (Int)
*Charm (Fel)
*Command (Fel)
*Consealment (Ag)
*Consume Alcohol (T)
*Disguise (Fel)
*Drive (S)
*Evaluate (Int)
*Gamble (Int)
Gossip (Fel)
*Haggle (Fel)
*Intimidate (S)
*Outdoor Survival (Int)
*Perception (Int)
*Ride (Ag)
*Row (Ag)
*Scale Sheer Surface (Ag)
Search (Int)
*Silent Move (Ag)
*Swim (S)


Advanced Skills

Academic Knowledge (Magic) (Int)
Channeling (WP)
Common Knowledge (The Empire) (Int)
Magical Sense (WP)
Perception (Int)
Read/Write (Int)
Speak Arcane Language (Magick) (Int)
Speak Language (Breton) (Int)
Speak Language (Classical) (Int)
Speak Language (Reikspiel) (Int)


Talents

Aethyric Attunement:
Grants +10% bonus on all Channelling and magical Sense Skill Tests.

Fast Hands:
Grants +20% Weapon Skill bonus when casting touch spells.

Luck:
Grants an extra fortune point each day.

Petty Magic (Arcane):
May cast any arcane spell from the 'petty' list.

Savvy:
Grants a permanent +5% to Intelligence.

Very Resilient:
Grants a permanent +5% to Thoughness.


Trappings

Antitoxin Kit [0 enc.]
Contains a small knife, several herbal packs and live leeches. IF poisoned and failed the Thoughness Test, you may spend 2 full actions to try and safe your life. If still you're still alive after the 2 full actions, you may re-roll your thoughness Test.
Backpack [20 enc.]
Capable of carrying up to 250 units of encumbrence.
Blanket [10]
Used for sleeping.
Cloak [10 enc.]
A cloak with a hood.
Clothing, Good [15 enc.]
A somewhat clean Shirt, Skirt, fitting boots, undergarments and socks.
Dagger [10 enc.]
A sharp small weapon that can be tugged away in boot or belt.
Deck of Cards, Good Quality [1 enc.]
A set of 72 vellum tarot cards with painted panels, carried in a small wodden case.
Printed Book [35 enc.]
A book, made from a printing machine.
Purse [1 enc.]
Can hold up to 100 coins.
Quarterstaff, Best Quality [45 enc.]
A fine staff with iron casing on the top and bottom tips, along with great quality leather wrapped around the middle part, to better the grip.
Rations (7/7) [50 enc.]
A mix of salted meat, nuts and other conservated food items)
Tent, Good Quality [1 enc.]
A water resistant 1-man tent.
Waterskin, Full [1/100 enc.]
Can be filled with 1 gallon of water, which makes the enc. to 100.
Wooden Cutlery [2 enc.]
Contains a Fork, knife and spoon.
Wooden Tankard [5 enc.]
A large drinking mug.

Spell Ingredients
Spell Ingredients Pouch [1 enc.]
Used to care odds and bobs, used for spells.

2 Bells, Tiny [0 enc.]
A tiny bell that can ring.
1 Butter, Pound [1 enc.
Contains A LOT of dabs worth of butter.
20 Darts, Small
a very small dart.
20 Down, pieces of
A lot of small fluffy downs in a pouch.
10 Fireflies [1 enc.]
Dead fireflies contained in a tiny box.
50 Oil, Drops [5 enc.]
Oil in a small ceramite vial. contains about 50 drops and can fuel a lamp for about 4 hours.




Money

Gold Crowns (gc): 2
Silver Shillings (s): 12
Brass Pennies (p): 24


Spell Grimoire

Spell Name: Glowing Light
Casting Number: 3
Casting Time: Half action
Ingredient: A drop of lamp oil (+1)
Description: You can cause any item in your grasp to glow with the light of a lantern for 1 hour or until you let it go.

Spell Name: Sounds
Casting Number: 4
Casting Time: Half action
Ingredient: A tiny bell (+1)
Description: You can create a phantom noise with this spell, with volume ranging from a whisper to a roar. You can choose the type of noise and the volume; the spell can reproduce any type of noise but speech. The noise can last for up to one round.

Spell Name: Drop
Casting Number: 4
Casting Time: Half action
Ingredient: A dab of butter (+1)
Description: You compel a target character within 24 yards (12 squares) to drop whatever he is holding. The subject of this spell can resist it with a successful Will Power Test.

Spell Name: Marsh Lights
Casting Number: 6
Casting Time: Full action
Ingredient: A firefly (+1)
Description: You create the appearance of a number of distant lights that suggests torches or lanterns. They appear within 100 yards (50 squares) of you and can then be sent off in any direction. They naturally follow corridors or paths and do not need to be controlled or overseen in any way. You can control then more closely if desired, but only as long as they remain within line of sight. You can't perform any other actions while controlling the lights. The light travels at various speeds, but never slower than 8 yards (4 squares) per round. They last for one hour and then gradually fade and vanish.

Spell Name: Magic Dart
Casting Number: 6
Casting Time: Half action
Ingredient: A small dart (+1)
Description: You throw a dart of magical force at an opponent within 16 yards (8 squares). Although small, the Magic Dart strikes with considerable force. A Magic Dart is Magic Missile with Damage 3 (1d10+3 Damage total).

Spell Name: Sleep
Casting Number: 6
Casting Time: Half action
Ingredient: A piece of down (+1)
Description: Your touch causes one opponent to fall into a slumber for 1d10 rounds unless a successful Will Power test is made. Sleeping characters are considered to be helpless. Sleep is a touch spell.

Spell Name:
Casting Number:
Casting Time:
Ingredient:
Description:





Physical Description

Valerie is a slender girl with her curves, and other girl-related parts, still developing and a heartshaped face. Her hair is auburn and her eyes are a purple with a faint glow to them that has intensified slightly over the 4 years she's been with her master. She's got some flowers braided into her long flowy hair which are ever-blooming, or at least that's what most people seem to believe.


Personality

Valerie is mostly a calm, gentle and bright girl. She's in her prime youth, so her interest in boys is there without a question. Talking to the trees, plants, creeks and rivers is something she quite enjoys. She doesn't like the idea of killing but if her own life is a risk, she CAN defend herself quite well. Having no friends, expect maybe her master, has made her a little shy towards people she's unfamiliar with. Valerie loves music (Particulary pipe-instruments) and singing.


Background

Valerie Hellsing was born and raised in Diesdorf, Reikland. She was the youngest of three in a well-off family – her father owns The Warm Winds, Diesdorf’s signature inn. But from a young age it was clear that Valerie was destined for more than a barmaid’s life. From an early age, people were disconcerted by the faint purple glow from her eyes.

It seemed at first that she was a source of luck to the family, for her eldest twin brother Johan was accepted as a local knight’s squire for an act of gallantry before his seventeenth birthday – a chance for a noble life not many commoners in Diesdorf would ever get. But tragedy struck shortly afterwards when a pack of bandits raided the village. In the panic many of the villagers fled north, and it was while she was wandering in the village that she was found by the magister that would become her master. Recognising the signs of magic, he took her under his wing and prepared to train her for the Jade Order.

Four years later, Valerie is a formal apprentice of the College. She has travelled the length of the Empire and seen more than she ever dreamed she would – not least the interior of a College of Magic in the capital City of Altdorf. Now she finds herself in Bretonnia – why, she is not sure, but her master hinted that they were possibly looking to recruit a rogue magic user in L’Anguille. Shortly after getting in contact with a hedge wizard, though, Valerie’s master disappeared, and she and the hedge wizard are left looking for work and hoping for a plan to get back to the Empire and find her master.




My character will be speaking in Green. thoughts will be colored, but without the quotation marks, thet represent speech.

Micha Sieling
2012-06-04, 10:45 AM
Character Sheet


Character Info
{table]Name|Matias Leitmann|Height|5'11"
Race|Human|Weight|185lbs
Career|Mercenary|Hair|Ash Blonde
Age|25 years|Eyes|Green-Blue[/table]

Characteristics
{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
32|31|35|35|33|34|33|29
+5%|+5%|-|-|-|-|-|-
37|36|35|35|33|34|33|29
A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
1|10|3|3|5|-|0|2
-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
1|5|3|3|5|-|0|2[/table]

Gear
{table]Weapons|Armour|Trappings
Crossbow|Mail Shirt|Backpack 189/250
Sword|Leather Jack|Blanket
Dagger|Leather Skullcap|Tankard (Wooden)
Shield||Cutlery (Wooden)
10 Bolts||Coinpurse
||Bone Dice
||Deck of Cards
||Healing Draught
||2x Healing Potulice
||2 weeks, Rations
||Bottle, Spirits
||2x torch
||Pack, Matches
||Rope (20 yards)
||Leather Flask[/table]

Skills & Talents
{table]Talents|Skills|Bonus
Fleet-Footed|Common Knowledge (The Empire)|
Quick Draw|Common Knowledge (Bretonnia)|
Rapid Reload|Dodge Blow|
Sharpshooter|Drive|
Super-Numerator|Gamble|+10%
|Gossip|
|Haggle|
|Perception|+20% on Est
|Speak: Battle Tongue|
|Speak: Bretonnian|
|Speak: Reikspiel|
|Swim|[/table]

Advances
+5% BS free
+5% WS 100xp

Currency
2 gc
17 s
27 p

Physical Description
Matias has close-cropped hair along the sides and back, while having a longer mess of hair at the top. Think army officer hair. He is of average height, with an athletic form built through several years of selling his blade. His right ear is missing the lower lobe, where a scar reaches from the back of the right ear, along the jaw line and down to the centre of his throat. He shaves when he can, but is typically rough of the face.

Personality
Matias is a person with very little patience for ignorance. Hard living has made him wary of others, but the enticing shine of gold will motivate Matias more than his fear would dissuade him. When pulled out of his shell, Matias grows a passionate loyalty to those who would reciprocate, holding firm belief that a man's word is his honour.

Character Background
Matias doesn't remember his parents. His mother was alone when he was born, and she was killed when he was merely three years old. From then he grew up in an Orphanage in the slums of Altdorf, developing the quick wit and tough skin required to survive in such an environment.

When he reached 16 years old, Matias left the Orphanage to work as a shovel & sweep boy for a woodworker's shop. He lived above the shop in a small storage loft when he wasn't working, saving the pittance weekley wage until he could afford to leave the dreary city forever. See, Matias knew he was destined for something so much bigger and better. Growing up with no identity set a fire within Matias' soul, and it wouldn't be long before he would carve a name for himself out of all the opportunity the world provides to those willing to risk everything. After almost 5 years of saving, Matias made his way from Altdorf 2 weeks shy of his 21st birthday to seek fortune beyond the only city he had ever known.

The only problem was where he would go. He was certain that his abilities would earn him pay from any merchant or noble looking for a strong arm and the will to use it, but finding employment is always infinitely harder than it seems. A slew of side-jobs and busywork left Matias bitter, often seeking his fortune on the gambler's circuit. Through lack of work and lack of patience, Matias never stood still for long, bouncing from hamlet to town, doing what he could, when he could to ensure his next meal. Matias lived like this for 3 years, until his travels found him in the Bretonnian city of L'Anguille, where he had all but run out of money. But if there was work to be found anywhere in Bretonnia, he would find it in L'Anguille. It didn't take long for Matias to find a bonafide, well-paying job for a promising, emerging Merchant, Marperic D'Abenne.



Matias will speak in red. Thoughts will be in italics.

ZeltArruin
2012-06-04, 11:21 AM
Character Sheet
Heinrich Bischof
Human Pitfighter
Exp: 75!
{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
35|28|40|35|28|32|31|33
+15%|-|-|+10%|+10%|-|+10%|-
45|28|40|40|28|32|31|33
A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
1|12|4|4|4|0|0|3
-|+2|-|-|-|-|-|-
1|9/12|4|4|4|0|0|2/3
[/table]
Skills: Dodge Blow, Intimidate, Common Knowledge (the Empire), Gossip, Speak Language (Reikspiel, Brettonian)

Talents: Disarm, Quick Draw, SWG (Flail, Parrying, Two-Handed), Strike Mighty Blow, Very Strong, Sixth Sense, Super Numerate

Trappings: Hand Weapon, Great Weapon, Knuckle-duster, Buckler, Mail Shirt, Full Leather Armor, 5 gc

Armor: Body: 3, Everywhere else: 1

Physical Description: Heinrich is a tall, strong, and durable looking man, sporting plenty of odd scars from his profession as a pit-fighter. His hair dark is very closely cropped, yet he seems to have little to no beard. His armor appears as well used as the myriad of weapons Heinrich has strapped to him.

Personality: Heinrich is a rather free-spirited individual, very un-fitting for his career choice of pit fighting, but it has served him well. He takes to others rather easily, but for the most part, his relationships with others are rather vapid, and more a means of passing time than developing any depth. He takes pleasure in the small things in life and is mostly out for himself, though he has been known to have a few too many honorable streaks in his life.

Background: Heinrich was born in Middenland, and as he grew, he got accustomed to getting in, and winning, fights with the other boys. After his fifteenth winter, he made his way to Middenheim and fought in the pits for nearly a decade, traveling from city to city, improving his skills and fighting a breadth of foes. His wanderings had now brought him to L'Anguille, where he signed on for yet another trip.

Talky bits will be in Royal Blue, because Heinrich is a royal dude.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-04, 11:24 AM
Sheet:


Character:

Name: Siegfried Lehirman
Race: Human
Career: Apothecary
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Eye Colour: Green
Hair Colour: Red
Weight: 145 Pounds
Height: 5' 2"
Star Sign: Rhya's Cauldron
Number of Siblings: 2 ( a younger sister and an older brother)
Distinguishing Marks: Ragged ear


Statistics: Advances:

WS: 36 0
BS: 37 0
S: 30 0
T: 41 5/5
AG: 30 0/5
INT: 46 10/10
WP: 31 0/10
FEL: 24 0/5

Wounds: 11 0/2
FP: 2
Movement: 5
Armour: Head 1, Body 1, 0 everywhere else.


Talents:

Resistance to poison + 10 to toughness vs poison
Very Resilient +5 toughness
Ambidextrous Use either Hand at no penalty
Fleet-footed +1 movement


Skills:

Academic Knowledge (Science) (int)
Gossip +10% (fel)
Haggle (fel)
Heal (int)
Perception (int)
Read/Write (int)
Secret Language (Guild Tongue) (int)
Speak Language (Classical) (int)
Trade (Apothecary) (int)
Common Knowledge (the empire) (int)
Speak Language (Bretonnian) (int)
Speak Language (Reikspiel) (int)


Trappings:

Healing Draught
Light Armour (Leather Jerkin)
Trade Tools (Apothecary’s Kit)
Hand Weapon (Axe)
Light Armour (Leather Skullcap)

Money: 9.5 gc


Background:

Personality:
Siegfried is a generally optimistic, curious person who longs to see everything the world has to offer. Having seen the poor quality of the life of the poor in Altdorf Siegfried has a fondness for gold and is determined to never end up like them.

Character History:
Siegfried was born in the city of Altdorf. The son of an innkeeper Siegfried spent most of his childhood aiding his family in the running of the inn. Being the second son of the family Siegfried was not set to inherit the inn upon his father's death so as soon as he was old enough he got himself an apprenticeship with a local Apothecary. He trained as an Apothecary and when his master died in an accident several years later he took over his shop and customers. Preparing for them various unguents, powders and solutions that they wished. Life was good for Siegfried until an unfortunate fire in the city burned down his shop. Unable to afford a new one and unwilling to become a beggar or return to his family's inn Siegfried set out into the world with two goals in mind. To find something new and exciting to do with his life or to earn enough money to buy himself a new shop. Siegfried spent the next couple of years wandering around not really achieving these goals untill he ended up in the Bretonnian city of L’Anguille. There he met a promising new emerging merchant called Marperic d’Abenne. In Marperic d’Abenne Siegfried saw a chance at achieving his goals so he quickly signed up with him.



I'll take Pink for Siegfried.

Edit: actually I think i'll take orange instead that pink is rather hard on the eyes.

That combat summary chart looks really useful I may have to steal it for future use.

Thragka
2012-06-04, 11:47 AM
Edit: actually I think i'll take orange instead that pink is rather hard on the eyes.

That combat summary chart looks really useful I may have to steal it for future use.

Thanks, I think the orange is definitely a better idea. Feel free to steal the sheet, I found it from another game, so yeah I'm sure it's doing the rounds!

Hemnon
2012-06-04, 02:00 PM
will post in the IC once sentinel finishes his character:smallsmile:

need to know what im working with:smalltongue:

vegetalss4
2012-06-04, 06:02 PM
Name: Sir Abel De Celeste
Career: Knight Errant
Race: Human

Backstory

As the youngest male scion of five born to the Marquiss Theudis D'Celeste, Abel's path through life had always been known to him. Owning to his large number of older siblings no illusions of inheritance could be held, nor would he need to be married off to secure one alliance or another.
Therefore only the noblest and purest of ways a son of the Bretonian nobility might follow could possibly hold his destiny.
That being the way of Chivalry and great deeds in the name of the Lady. As such it was with his head held high that Abel left his home in Carcassonne to prove himself as a knight errant by protecting those in need elsewhere from whatever danger might lurk where they lived.

After some time on the road, which was somewhat less glamorous than abel had hither believed, he found himself in L’Anguille, where he would join and protect a merchants caravan, so that their important last can reach the destination where they so sorely is needed.
And if said merchant would be grateful enough to gift Abel with a suitable sum for his services, then so much the better.


{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
38|26|31|40|37|31|31|34
A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
2|1/13|3|4|5|-|0|2/2
[/table]

Talents
{table]Name|Effect
Etiquette|+10% charm and gossip with nobility or when etiquette is important
Fleetfooted|+1 movement (noted)
Resistant to disease|+10% to resist disease
Seasoned Traveller| +10% to common knowledge and speak language
Specialist Weapon Group (Cavalry)|can use cavalry weapons
Strike Mighty Blow| +1 damage with melee weapons
Virtue of Chivalry|Can pray for Lady's blessing (and receive it)[/table]


Skills:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry), Animal Care, Animal Training, Common Knowledge (Bretonnia) +10%,
Dodge Blow, Gossip, Outdoor Survival, Ride, Speak Language (Breton), Speak Language (Reikspiel)

Trappings:
Mail Shirt, Mail Coif, Leather Jack, Helmet), Lance, Shield, Light Warhorse with saddle and harness,
Sword, saddlebag, clothing, dagger, blanket, wooden tankard and cutlery set,
Shield
6 gold crowns

XP: 205/305

Advances:
+1 Attack (free)
+5% toughness


I am not really sure what color I should use, any suggestions?

Hemnon
2012-06-04, 06:13 PM
royal blue, maybe? this one

Micha Sieling
2012-06-04, 06:21 PM
ZeltArruin already has that colour. Dark slate gray is a good one.

Thragka
2012-06-04, 08:11 PM
Anyone can post in the IC thread, incidentally. It's not just for me. :smalltongue: I know it's a fairly quiet beginning, but believe me, it'll get exciting soon enough.

-Sentinel-
2012-06-04, 08:59 PM
Simon will speak in Dark Slate Blue.


Name: Simon
Age: 15
Career: Hedge wizard

Description:

Background: Simon is the son of a L'Anguille fishwife, born nearly a year after his mother became a widow - a fact that, obviously, cast doubt on his legitimacy. He was always sickly in his childhood, and his keen intelligence was of little use to him since education was out of the question. He became known among his many siblings as "the useless one", not strong enough to fish, or dexterous enough to wield a harpoon, or even outgoing enough to sell fish on the public place. He was also very lazy, seeing all physical work as beneath him. As he grew up, he became increasingly contemptuous of the people of his own social class, viewing himself as more clever than them and destined for much better than a life of drudgery. Fate, he decided, had caused him to be born in the wrong class; he belonged to the thinkers, not the peasants. His attitude worsened over time and people began mockingly referring to him as the Barefoot Baron. Those who mocked him often met bad luck shortly afterwards, though no one could directly connect Simon with their misfortunes; not even Simon himself, who used his nascent aethyric powers without even realizing it. He had never lived without them, and would not know how to turn them on and off even if he were aware of them.

A short time ago, a wizard and his apprentice arrived in L'Anguille from the Empire, claiming to be looking for young talents to be taught at the Colleges of Magic. Though unaware of his own powers, Simon heard his fate calling. Wizards were universally feared, and fear, he had learned while growing up in the worst streets of the city, could easily be turned into power and respect; two things he had always felt entitled to. He did not know that magical powers had to be innate, and was convinced that someone as intelligent as him could become a wizard with enough hard work. Armed with his technically true yet misled certainty in his ability to learn magic, he sought out the wizard and volunteered to join the fabled Colleges. It did not take long for the wizard to see that Simon showed promise... although his ego problem might prove troublesome.

Before Simon's education could begin, however, the wizard's corpse was found floating in the river one night. The circumstances of his death were never made entirely clear, but the Watch suspected religious fanatics opposed to the wizard's recruitment mission. Simon and the wizard's apprentice, Valerie, were left to make their own way back to Altdorf, where Simon cannot wait to begin his education in the arcane secrets.


WS: 24
BS: 26
S: 31
T: 31
Ag: 28
Int: 40
WP: 33
Fel: 35

W: 12 / 13
Mag: 1
FP: 1 / 2


Skills: Channelling, Charm, Charm Animal, Common Knowledge (Bretonnia), Gossip, Haggle, Heal, Magical Sense, Perception, Search, Speak Language (Breton)
Talents: Hardy, Hedge Magic, Petty Magic (Hedge), Super Numerate

Equipment: Best craftsmanship quarter staff (+5 WS), dagger, common clothing, 3 healing poultices, healing draught
Starting Gold: 9 gc

Advances: +1 Magic, +5 Int, +5 Fel

vegetalss4
2012-06-05, 03:28 PM
ZeltArruin already has that colour. Dark slate gray is a good one.

I think I will go with regular Blue. I sometimes have a slight difficulty reading DarkSlateGray from certain angles I use.
But thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Hemnon
2012-06-05, 11:11 PM
does Valerie know how long i'd take to travel to altdorf? from a Jade magister POV, it might be a rather abridged number (in comparison to a ranger, guide or peasant).

-Sentinel-
2012-06-06, 07:03 AM
Still finishing my background, and I'm wondering why it wouldn't be possible for a wizard to publicize the Colleges openly in the Empire. Wouldn't his status as a wizard lord give some sort of diplomatic immunity? And while the peasants are superstitious about magic, I don't believe Bretonnia has any dedicated, licensed witch-hunting organizations like the Empire.

The way I see it, neither country is tolerant of wizards, but only the Empire really has ways to regulate them (the Orders of Magic and the Templars). In Bretonnia, most would-be spellcasters are taken by the Fey during childhood, so no one bothers to actively suppress or support them. And I remember that the 6th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle sourcebook for Bretonnia mentioned that some 'gifted' children from upper class families were sometimes sent to the Colleges of Altdorf, although it was rare.

In short, I believe backwater peasants may be hostile to a wizard recruiting for the Colleges, but the authorities and the more cosmopolitan, open-minded city-dwellers of L'Anguille have little reason to oppose a guy who comes to take their spellcasters very far away.

Thragka
2012-06-06, 07:49 AM
(assuming all this was in bretonnian, right? If not, I guess he sounds smarter in Reikspiel)

Yup, and good point - by default, everyone's speaking Breton for the length of this adventure.


does Valerie know how long i'd take to travel to altdorf? from a Jade magister POV, it might be a rather abridged number (in comparison to a ranger, guide or peasant).

I reckon a Jade magister would be fairly familiar with travelling the Empire by foot. Marienburg is roughly 250 miles from Altdorf, and travelling by foot that would probably take you in the region of one to two weeks, depending on the terrain. To actually get to Marienburg your best bet would be to get on a ship from L'Anguille rather than try to cross the Marches of Couronne on foot - it's a dangerous journey from Couronne to the Wasteland, and would likely triple your travelling time. Whether or not Valerie knows that depends on how she first entered Bretonnia.

I suspect you meant "east south-east" instead of "west south-west", though.


Still finishing my background, and I'm wondering why it wouldn't be possible for a wizard to publicize the Colleges openly in the Empire. Wouldn't his status as a wizard lord give some sort of diplomatic immunity? And while the peasants are superstitious about magic, I don't believe Bretonnia has any dedicated, licensed witch-hunting organizations like the Empire.

The way I see it, neither country is tolerant of wizards, but only the Empire really has ways to regulate them (the Orders of Magic and the Templars). In Bretonnia, most would-be spellcasters are taken by the Fey during childhood, so no one bothers to actively suppress or support them. And I remember that the 6th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle sourcebook for Bretonnia mentioned that some 'gifted' children from upper class families were sometimes sent to the Colleges of Altdorf, although it was rare.

In short, I believe backwater peasants may be hostile to a wizard recruiting for the Colleges, but the authorities and the more cosmopolitan, open-minded city-dwellers of L'Anguille have little reason to oppose a guy who comes to take their spellcasters very far away.

Having given it a bit of thought, I think you've got a fairly solid argument - I might have been a bit overzealous before (probably because most of this adventure will be set away from a large population centre, as should be apparent). So, I take back my previous misgivings. Feel free to incorporate that into Simon's background.

-Sentinel-
2012-06-06, 07:55 PM
The distance to Altdorf doesn't really matter to me. I had my character say it only to highlight his haste to leave stinking Bretonnia behind and get to the place that will turn him into a mighty wizard.

Thragka
2012-06-07, 05:50 AM
For Matias and Heinrich, and anyone else that joins the game, I'll need to know how much money they're willing to put up. Then, it'll be a series of Opposed Gamble tests between them and Laurent to see which way the winnings ebb and flow.

This opening scene is primarily so that the characters can get introduced - once everybody feels they've made enough conversation, we'll gloss over the several hour long trip upriver. So the manly men downstairs won't be able to get too drunk by midday. :smallamused:

ZeltArruin
2012-06-07, 07:41 AM
Well, I've got 5 crowns to my name, I think I'll put up half of that, assuming that I have a bunch of silver and copper too, which is likely.

Bet: 2.5gc.

Edit: if no one else is near how much I am tossing in, I'll drop to what ever is the next highest bet.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-07, 09:46 AM
Siegfried will bet half a gold crown.

Thragka
2012-06-07, 10:38 AM
Edit: if no one else is near how much I am tossing in, I'll drop to what ever is the next highest bet.

Well, you can't win more than anyone else puts in, so by default the maximum effective contribution to the pot is going to be the second highest bid in any case.

Micha Sieling
2012-06-07, 08:08 PM
Matias would certainly not stand down from a bet. 2.5gc works.

Thragka
2012-06-08, 06:36 AM
Alright, in that case we'll have five rounds of half a crown each, with Siegfried bowing out after the first round. (Incidentally, in Bretonnia, the gold coins are called ecu, the silvers are deniers and the coppers are still called pennies.)

SO MANY SUPER NUMERATE CHARACTERS TO REMEMBER.

[roll0] Laurent
[roll1] Matias
[roll2] Heinrich
[roll3] Siegfried

[roll4] Laurent
[roll5] Matias
[roll6] Heinrich

[roll7] Laurent
[roll8] Matias
[roll9] Heinrich

[roll10] Laurent
[roll11] Matias
[roll12] Heinrich

[roll13] Laurent
[roll14] Matias
[roll15] Heinrich


So, after the game:

Laurent is up two crowns, not that it really matters to you guys.
Matias is down one.
Heinrich, having lost every round, loses his entire bet of 2.5 crowns.
Siegfried sweeps the first round and leaves up 1.5 crowns.

Long update coming later this afternoon.

ZeltArruin
2012-06-08, 07:57 AM
I was going to ask why I lost every round when I clearly won four, then I remembered this is wfrp, and rolling high is bad. Hah, oh well.

Thragka
2012-06-08, 05:29 PM
Sorry that took so long - bit of a wall of text, I'm afraid. If there's anything else anybody wanted to happen before reaching Flers, feel free to make a post happening back in time, as it were.

Gamblers - don't forget to update your character sheets after the game.

I might as well bookmark Wikipedia's Glossary of Nautical Terms at this rate.

Hemnon
2012-06-09, 01:42 PM
Seems like the game's going forwards at a decent pace. we also have some nice interaction between our characters:smallsmile:

i can feel this game is going the positive way:smallcool:

Thragka
2012-06-09, 01:58 PM
Well, uh, thanks! I almost feel it's a bit early for feedback since not much has really happened yet, but glad you're enjoying it so far.

To me it kind of feels like I haven't given your characters a lot of freedom to do their own thing yet - just need to get this intro-ish segment out of the way. Rest assured the entire game is not just going to be me describing your travels across the Bretonnian landscape.

Hemnon
2012-06-09, 02:08 PM
Well, uh, thanks! I almost feel it's a bit early for feedback since not much has really happened yet, but glad you're enjoying it so far.

To me it kind of feels like I haven't given your characters a lot of freedom to do their own thing yet - just need to get this intro-ish segment out of the way. Rest assured the entire game is not just going to be me describing your travels across the Bretonnian landscape.

I don't feel tied down or anything, cuz if i wanted to i could go 'MORTAL KOMBAT!!!' just for laughs or throw magic around just to try get doubles/tripples/quadrubles and 'accidently' summon a greater daemon.:smallsmile:

too many games start with fallout 3 openings... wide-open world that would scare us half to death to attempt doing ANYTHING in, cuz a game needs a kinda linear beginning so the characters can bond together with eachother, thus creating a good reason for the group to stay together at all.

That's my 5 cents:smallwink:

Thragka
2012-06-09, 02:21 PM
I don't feel tied down or anything, cuz if i wanted to i could go 'MORTAL KOMBAT!!!' just for laughs or throw magic around just to try get doubles/tripples/quadrubles and 'accidently' summon a greater daemon.:smallsmile:

And if that happened, just for laughs, I think a dead gull might drop out of the sky the good villagers of Flers might spontaneously decide to burn the temporarily concussed witch. <_<

But I appreciate the sentiment.

vegetalss4
2012-06-09, 05:24 PM
I would like to second Hemnon's comment about the need for structure early in a game.
Furthermore I would like to add that you appear to be really really good at setting the scenes. It makes it quite easy to get immersed in the scenes.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-10, 12:18 PM
I also agree. Things seem to be going in a good direction and I'm eager to see where everything goes.

Thragka
2012-06-10, 05:41 PM
Well, I'm very glad to hear that most of you have had a positive first impression!

I was aiming to make a small post tonight freeing you up to investigate Flers a little if you wanted, but after Ireland's dismal performance in the Euro 2012 today, 'fraid I wasn't in the mood.

Thragka
2012-06-11, 11:06 AM
For those with Common Knowledge (Bretonnia), which means Abel, Matias and Simon:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/TheralindsBrood.jpg
I note that Siegfried also has Common Knowledge (Bretonnia) listed as a skill - BlueMagnusStorm, is that meant to be Common Knowledge (The Empire)?

Sentinel, are you still planning to add more to Simon's backstory?

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-11, 04:18 PM
Woops, yea it should be. Better go change that.

-Sentinel-
2012-06-11, 04:26 PM
Sentinel, are you still planning to add more to Simon's backstory?
Sorry, I'm a pathological procrastinator. :smallredface: I'll work on it tonight.

Thragka
2012-06-14, 09:45 AM
Updates will probably be a bit sparse until the weekend on my part - I've been travelling a bit over the last couple of days and staying with friends so internet access is a bit limited. Probably will be a little bit next week as well.

It'd be good if you could indicate here or with your next post if there's anything much you guys want to do between eating and getting back on the road. If not, or after that, I'll be doing one more long-distance travel post.

Hemnon
2012-06-14, 10:46 AM
oh god... i hate not being able to sleep.

If my posting quality is declining a little, then that's because i just might be suffering from insomniac or atleast a mild form of sleeplessness-ish thing.:smallsigh:

ZeltArruin
2012-06-14, 11:29 AM
oh god... i hate not being able to sleep.

If my posting quality is declining a little, then that's because i just might be suffering from insomniac or atleast a mild form of sleeplessness-ish thing.:smallsigh:

I think I am mildly narcoleptic, if that makes you feel any better.

Hemnon
2012-06-14, 11:57 AM
I think I am mildly narcoleptic, if that makes you feel any better.

and what in the heck is that?:smallconfused:

ZeltArruin
2012-06-14, 12:58 PM
and what in the heck is that?:smallconfused:

Falling asleep without meaning to, being tired a lot for no reason, that kind of stuff.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-14, 11:42 PM
oh god... i hate not being able to sleep.

If my posting quality is declining a little, then that's because i just might be suffering from insomniac or atleast a mild form of sleeplessness-ish thing.:smallsigh:

I can sympathize. I suffer mildly from insomnia and not getting sleep really does suck.

Thragka
2012-06-16, 12:01 PM
I take it from the lack of responses that you guys are fairly happy to move directly on? I'll be in London tomorrow so I won't be able to update until the evening or perhaps Monday morning, but if nobody has any objections I'll set the group on the road then. Please do shout if anyone has any other idea though!

Micha Sieling
2012-06-16, 07:46 PM
Sorry, had been busy and quite intoxicated over the last few days. Big event at my unit and I couldn't find time to be on here. I'm good to move the story along. Or get Matias plastered drunk in delay, whichever suits the group, :P

Hemnon
2012-06-16, 07:58 PM
Sorry, had been busy and quite intoxicated over the last few days. Big event at my unit and I couldn't find time to be on here. I'm good to move the story along. Or get Matias plastered drunk in delay, whichever suits the group, :P

as long as he doesn't try any funnybusiness with Valerie, hen he may drink all he like:smallbiggrin:

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-17, 10:12 AM
I take it from the lack of responses that you guys are fairly happy to move directly on?

That sounds fine to me.

Hemnon
2012-06-18, 02:25 PM
I take it from the lack of responses that you guys are fairly happy to move directly on? I'll be in London tomorrow so I won't be able to update until the evening or perhaps Monday morning, but if nobody has any objections I'll set the group on the road then. Please do shout if anyone has any other idea though!

oh yeah, go on ahead :3

Thragka
2012-06-18, 03:34 PM
Cool. Sorry for the delay; I forgot I'd signed up for an 80 kilometre cycle today. It was a bit of a surprise this morning. The update will go up within the next couple of hours; it might take a little time because something exciting happens no reason.

Thragka
2012-06-19, 09:38 AM
Combat time! Rolling initiative:
Valerie [roll0]
Matias [roll1]
Heinrich [roll2]
Siegfried [roll3]
Abel [roll4]
Simon [roll5]
Goblins [roll6]
Goblin Chief [roll7]

So that's:
Laurent
Matias
Abel
Goblin Chief
Marperic
Siegried
Heinrich
Simon
Valerie
Goblins

Before the first round begins, the six goblins to the front of the coach fire their shortbows.

At Abel: BS30 [roll8] Damage [roll9]
At Abel: BS30 [roll10] Damage [roll11]

Abel takes 11 damage to the left leg. He has 13 wounds, so he's not in critical territory yet.

At Laurent: BS30 [roll12] Damage [roll13]
At Laurent: BS30 [roll14] Damage [roll15]

At Matias: BS30 [roll16] Damage [roll17]
At Matias: BS30 [roll18] Damage [roll19]

Matias takes 4 wounds to the chest.

Then the first round begins. Everyone inside the coach must spend one turn exiting. I'll be whipping up a combat map, but until I do, the goblins with bows are approximately 15 yards from the front of the coach, while the others are about five yards behind. The road and surrounding open space is about eight yards across - beyond that, you enter the forest, which you can move through but with penalties to speed and targetting missile weapons between the trees.

Thragka
2012-06-19, 12:38 PM
And of course, while remembering all your initiatives, I forget the NPCs.

Marperic: [roll0]
Laurent: [roll1]

Hemnon
2012-06-19, 06:01 PM
darn it... some magic would come in handy right now... but i don't want to blow me and simon's cover.... does magic make a big spectacle (bright lights and pulsing auras? or is it only other aethyr-sensitive creatures that can see the winds of magic being manipulated into let's say, sleep or drop?

vegetalss4
2012-06-19, 06:38 PM
How far would I be able to move in one round, given that I am on a horse?

Thragka
2012-06-20, 10:19 AM
Causing lights or sounds will, well, cause lights and sounds, but spells like Sleep and Drop - no, there would be no spectacle, although you will have to recite the spell and possibly wave your hands a bit, which might attract attention.

Assuming that Dawn is a Light Warhorse, she has a move characteristic of 8.

Here's a fairly boring combat map - hopefully, ,later ones will be prettier. Note that, for this single combat, the scale is one square = one yard x one yard, as opposed to two by two. The darker green at the top and bottom is the denser wood that is more difficult to move and aim through.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/ambush0.jpg

vegetalss4
2012-06-20, 12:18 PM
I am not very familiar with mounted combat in WFRP, what kind of action is it for me to control Dawn? and what can I make her do?

Hemnon
2012-06-20, 03:19 PM
Causing lights or sounds will, well, cause lights and sounds, but spells like Sleep and Drop - no, there would be no spectacle, although you will have to recite the spell and possibly wave your hands a bit, which might attract attention.

Assuming that Dawn is a Light Warhorse, she has a move characteristic of 8.

Here's a fairly boring combat map - hopefully, ,later ones will be prettier. Note that, for this single combat, the scale is one square = one yard x one yard, as opposed to two by two. The darker green at the top and bottom is the denser wood that is more difficult to move and aim through.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/ambush0.jpg

good thing im fairly down the chain of initiative, so i can properbly cast something once the others (except maybe simon) leaves the wagon, wothut them hearing anything.:smallsmile:

vegetalss4
2012-06-20, 03:35 PM
good thing im fairly down the chain of initiative, so i can properbly cast something once the others (except maybe simon) leaves the wagon, wothut them hearing anything.:smallsmile:

You trust our merchant employer with that kind of info more than the rest of us? Truly I am hurt:smalltongue:

Hemnon
2012-06-20, 03:45 PM
You trust our merchant employer with that kind of info more than the rest of us? Truly I am hurt:smalltongue:

an apprentice wizard isn't even a legal mage per say. First at journeyman wizard rank do they recieve the 'legal wizard papers'.

Thragka
2012-06-20, 04:39 PM
I am not very familiar with mounted combat in WFRP, what kind of action is it for me to control Dawn? and what can I make her do?

There don't seem to be too many hard and fast rules about mounted combat in the core rulebook, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't take any special action to move about or charge on horseback under normal circumstances - if something happens to spook her, say, you may need to make Ride skill tests. Right now, feel free to take move actions as though you had a Movement characteristic of 8. Any attack actions you make simply reflect Abel's attacks.

Dawn will automatically start fighting back if somebody attacks her in close combat. If you want to order her to attack when she hasn't yet been threatened, it will take a successful Animal Training test (half action), but then it will also take another successful test to have her respond to other orders again afterwards.


good thing im fairly down the chain of initiative, so i can properbly cast something once the others (except maybe simon) leaves the wagon, wothut them hearing anything.:smallsmile:

Sorry, I should have been clearer; those of you inside the carriage are not entirely sure what's going on yet, and can't target the goblins with missile weapons or magic until they leave it, or see the greenskins through the side windows.

Incidentally, all of the rules in my first post under the Combat heading now apply - in particular, I'd like to remind you that you're encouraged to post whenever you get the chance rather than wait your turn in the initiative order. It's also fine to make conditional posts, saying what you'll do depending on what other characters have already done, as long as we don't start metagaming around contingencies that characters are magically communicating to each other with out-of-character telepathy.

Hemnon
2012-06-20, 05:46 PM
I'll post tomorrow, been quite busy, but luckily that's over soon :3

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-21, 08:50 AM
This is a bit short notice I know but my internet has been driving me crazy for the last couple of days and today's the first time i've actually managed to get online. I won't be around tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday so I won't be able to make any posts on those days unfortunately.

Again sorry about the short notice. I would have said something earlier but my blasted internet prevented that.

Thragka
2012-06-22, 04:08 AM
No worries BMS; I'll autopilot Siegfried if you get to another round by then.

Still waiting on Valerie, Simon and (primarily) Matias (since he could actually do some damage this round).

Thragka
2012-06-23, 05:17 PM
Okay, for this round I'll autopilot Matias, since Micha Sieling hasn't submitted an action in a few days.

Laurent readies his sword and moves around behind the coach, out of sight of the archers.

Matias Quick Draws, aims and fires his crossbow at the topmost archer - he's at a -10 penalty due to the intervening tree trunk, as is anyone else aiming missile weapons at them. His effective Ballistic Skill is 46: 36, -10 for the trunk, +20 for aiming with the Sharpshooter Talent.
[roll0] Missed!
Damage: [roll1] How unfortunate!

The Goblin Chief makes a standard attack against Abel.
WS 35 (amazing, right? :smallbiggrin: ) [roll2] - hit!
Damage: [roll3]
Abel's Dodge vs 37: [roll4] Dodged!

The archers reload and fire off another volley.

At Siegfried: BS 30 [roll5] Damage [roll6] Siegfried hates 8 damage to the head. Nope, long range penalty makes that a miss.
At Siegfried: BS 30 [roll7] Damage [roll8] Miss

At Simon: BS 30 [roll9] Damage [roll10] Simon takes 8 damage to the left arm.
At Simon: BS 30 [roll11] Damage [roll12]

At Matias: BS 30 [roll13] Damage [roll14] 2 damage to the right arm
At Matias: BS 30 [roll15] Damage [roll16] 4 damage to the left arm, putting him on 0 wounds. Next stop: critical territory!
Both actually miss due to long range penalties, leaving Matias with six wounds remaining.

The goblins (mostly) charge!

Laurent is outnumbered by two charging goblins.
First: Effective WS 45 [roll17] Damage [roll18]
Second: Effective WS 45 [roll19] Damage [roll20]
Nope!

Heinrich is attacked by a charging goblin.
Effective WS 35 [roll21] Damage [roll22]
Heinrich's Dodge, at -10 due to spears having the Fast quality, vs 28 [roll23]
Not dodged, but totally soaked, so Heinrich takes no damage.

Siegfried is attacked by a charging goblin.
Effective WS 35 [roll24] Damage [roll25]
Miss.

I might not get the IC update up until tomorrow, so if you could hold off your next round actions until then (and I have to update the map, of course), I'd appreciate it.

Thragka
2012-06-23, 05:30 PM
I forgot: Abel is attacked by the final goblin.

WS 25: [roll0] Damage [roll1] Missed.

Micha Sieling
2012-06-23, 09:19 PM
My sincerest apologies for the delay. I had a rather hectic work-week, but all has settled now. I'll wait for the update to declare my actions, but it's quite obvious where the priority lies. Drop to cover and inhale some of that healing draught.

Thragka
2012-06-24, 02:12 PM
Not to worry, Micha Sieling - I just felt it was better not to let the first round of combat drag out too long.

Here is the updated combat map. I noticed that I left Dawn facing the wrong direction - I'll fix that next time, hopefully!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush1.jpg

From within the coach, Valerie can now see both the goblins that are in base contact with Heinrich - she can't cast Magic Dart at them, though, as it would have to pass through him.

EDIT: Oops, forgot that everyone that got shot this turn was at long range, so Siegfried and Matias actually escapes unharmed. Simon still takes the 8 damage though. I'll edit the IC post.

vegetalss4
2012-06-24, 02:30 PM
I intend to make a swift attack, and will be rolling for it here so that I can describe the action appropriately.
Attacks goes to chieftan, should he die to the first the second goes to the normal goblin

First strike:(38) [roll0] [roll1]
Second:(38) [roll2] [roll3]

:Edit: why couldn't the damage have been the other way around

Micha Sieling
2012-06-24, 03:12 PM
Matias will reload (half) and take aim at the goblin archer (half). Hopefully he survives long enough to get that shot off for a quick reload next round.

Hemnon
2012-06-24, 03:33 PM
is it possible to cast 2 half action spells in one turn?

vegetalss4
2012-06-24, 04:58 PM
is it possible to cast 2 half action spells in one turn?

According to page 127 or the rule book, you cannot cast more than one spell each turn.

ZeltArruin
2012-06-25, 07:12 AM
Aim and attack the goblin above me.

to hit: [roll0] vs 45
damage: [roll1]

Also, I prefer using parry before dodge, just so you know.

Edit: Do we have an outnumber bonus? It's kinda 3v1.

Thragka
2012-06-25, 11:20 AM
Also, I prefer using parry before dodge, just so you know.

Edit: Do we have an outnumber bonus? It's kinda 3v1.

I'll remember to prioritise Parry over Dodge for Heinrich in future. You have a 2v1 outnumbering bonus, as Simon doesn't count as being in combat.

ZeltArruin
2012-06-25, 11:47 AM
I'll remember to prioritise Parry over Dodge for Heinrich in future. You have a 2v1 outnumbering bonus, as Simon doesn't count as being in combat.

Alright, then with the +10 more WS, I hit, cool. I'll make an IC post soon.

Thragka
2012-06-26, 02:22 PM
Just a gentle reminder that it's been two days and we're still waiting on actions for Simon, Valerie and Siegfried - BMS might not have Internet access back yet, but hopefully Hemnon and Sentinel can post soon enough - you guys seem fairly active generally.

Thragka
2012-06-27, 08:09 AM
Alright. First of all, Laurent attacks the upper goblin and then enters a parrying stance.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

The goblin chief attempts to parry Abel's hit, at WS35, or takes two wounds. [roll2]

Sensing weakness, it makes an all out attack back. Effective WS65 [roll3] Damage [roll4]
Hits but is parried - no harm done.

I'll autopilot Siegfried to make a standard attack and them enter Parrying Stance. Simon hasn't yet joined the fray so it's still only +10 for outnumbering,
Effective WS 46 [roll5] Damage [roll6]
Crits and numbs the left arm

Heinrich does a +2 crit to the goblin. Critical roll [roll7] Causes internal bleeding.

If it's still alive, Valerie causes the injured goblin to drop its spear.

The archers have very few targets - they just reload and aim this turn.

One attacks Abel: effective WS 35 [roll8] Damage [roll9]
Abel's dodge against the first successful hit, this or the goblin chief: [roll10]

Two attack Laurent. Effective WS 35
[roll11] Damage [roll12]
[roll13] Damage [roll14]
Laurent's parry: [roll15] against 18.

If not dead, the injured goblin picks up its spear and enters a defensive stance. The other attacks Heinrich with a possible +10 to hit from outnumbering.
[roll16] Damage [roll17]
Heinrich's parry: [roll18] against 38.

Full update will be this evening - I'm doing this from my phone while on a train.

Thragka
2012-06-27, 08:13 AM
Siegfried's +1 crit to the goblin's left arm: [roll0]

Thragka
2012-06-27, 10:05 AM
Hang on, since Siegfried already wiped out the goblin's wounds, Heinrich's crit is actually +8, indicating acute murderisation.

This has consequences down the initiative order. Valerie presumably targets the other goblin instead (although in future I'd like to avoid this sort of ambiguity, particularly when it means you might end up knowing the result of an action before testing it), so it drops its spear. It missed anyway, but effectively it now picks back up its weapon and enters a defensive stance.

Since Siegfried and Simon are no longer in combat, the archers have a wealth of targets, and divide their shots in three as before.

Against Siegfried:
[roll0] Damage [roll1]
[roll2] Damage [roll3]

Against Simon:
[roll4] Damage [roll5]
[roll6] Damage [roll7]

Against Matias:
[roll8] Damage [roll9]
[roll10] Damage [roll11]

Only Matias is hit, and he easily soaks it.

Thragka
2012-06-27, 02:42 PM
Dangit, the goblin gets a willpower test to resist Valerie's spell.
WP 30: [roll0]
Didn't think so.

Okay, updated combat map, now featuring correctly oriented warhorse!

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush2.jpg

I notice some of you are tracking your wound totals in your character sheets and some aren't - it would be really helpful if all of you could do this, so that I don't have to go checking previous rounds of combat if I think somebody's down to 0, and also so that after the combat I know how severely wounded everybody is and how effective any healing is.

I might not be able to update tomorrow, as I'm flying to Portugal. I'll be there with some friends until the 7th of July - I will have internet access, but I'll just have to find the time to write. I think our current rate of one combat round every two to three days should remain manageable.

vegetalss4
2012-06-27, 05:47 PM
Just as a point of clarifycation, Abel is currently using his sword, not his lance.

I continue doing so,
attacks go to chief, then other goblin should he die to the first strike.
first attack (38) [roll0] [1d10+4]
Second attack (38) [roll1] [1d10+4]

Micha Sieling
2012-06-27, 06:51 PM
Matias will let loose that bolt, and slap home another.

Attack vs Goblin (46): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Micha Sieling
2012-06-27, 06:52 PM
Damn. Well he certainly isn't earning his keep so far, eh?

Thragka
2012-06-28, 05:18 AM
Just as a point of clarifycation, Abel is currently using his sword, not his lance.

Oops, my oversight. I've edited the IC post.


Damn. Well he certainly isn't earning his keep so far, eh?

Doesn't look like it. :smallbiggrin:

Hemnon
2012-06-28, 09:11 AM
oh well, my cover is blown it seems...:smallfrown:

what the heck... it was bound to happen anyways.

Thragka
2012-06-29, 01:52 PM
This is your two-day reminder; actions for Heinrich, Valerie and Simon ASAP, please, and I'll update tomorrow.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-30, 12:24 AM
My internet lives again!! Sorry I was away for so long took a lot longer to fix than I thought it would. Had to replace all sorts of stuff to get it to work again.
Been a real nightmare. At least it works now I guess.


Been reading the combat and trying to understand whats happening and I have a question in relation to that. Have I taken an action this round? Or do I still need to take one?

Thragka
2012-06-30, 04:17 AM
Glad to hear you got it sorted out! You haven't taken an action this round, the round - the end of a round is when I make an update in the In Character thread, and I was only choosing actions for autoiloted characters when doing all the NPC dice rolls. So, please do take an action for this round.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-30, 09:57 AM
Ok, cool. I'll get on that as soon as possible.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-30, 10:28 AM
Siegfried's attempt to liberate the nearest goblin's head from his body.

[roll0] (36)

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-30, 10:30 AM
Oops for got to roll damage (1d10+3) [roll0] = (10)

Thragka
2012-06-30, 11:13 AM
Looking good. Just waiting on ZeltArruin.

ZeltArruin
2012-06-30, 12:06 PM
Attack on the goblin (not aiming)
to hit [roll0] vs 45
damage [roll1]

Thragka
2012-06-30, 05:13 PM
The Chieftain once again All Out Attacks Abel. (His suspicions that poncy 'umies can't hit nobody sneaky and tough as he is are being confirmed, so he sees no need to play defensive.)
[roll0] Damage [roll1]
Hits, and does two damage to the head after soak, putting Abel on 0 wounds.

Siegfried does a nice +1 crit to the goblin - forget what I said about it going into defensive stance last turn, that would be too many actions.
Critical roll: [roll2]

"Knocked to the ground and dazed. All his tests and attacks suffer a -30% penalty for one round and he must use the stand action to regain his feet"

Heinrich misses, and the goblin misses him too when he breaks off. He goes around the top of the combat, through the woods - even though he moves at half speed while in the darker green squares, he still moves far enough to reach the other goblin.

Simon steps to the left and does get a (+20) outnumbering bonus. Thanks to Siegfried also wiping out this goblin's wounds, he achieves a +2 crit.
Oops, deleted this roll, but it was something like 76.

"Leg incapacitated until medical attention is achieved. Character's movement characteristic is reduced to 1 and he cannot dodge. Related agility tests also suffer a -20% penalty."

The archers, this turn, really do just reload and aim.

The goblin next to Abel also all out attacks the outnumbered knight errant.
Effective WS 55 [roll4] Damage [roll5]
Four damage to the left arm after soak - a +4 crit in the next post.

The one just in contact with Laurent AOAs him.
Effective WS 35 [roll6] Damage [roll7]
Miss

The one now sandwiched between Laurent and Heinrich attacks Laurent and then enters a parrying stance.
Effective WS 15 [roll8] Damage [roll9]
Miss

Finally the really outnumbered one attacks Simon, the softest-looking target, and then goes for defensive stance. spends his turn standing up due to the crit dealt by Siegfried.
WS 25 [roll10] Damage [roll11]

I'll edit the map into this post.

1

On a slightly different notice, I feel I should bring to the attention of everybody except Sentinel of a discussion in a different game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13473932&postcount=762) that seems to be building a fairly sophisticated set of rules for mounted combat, as opposed to me not having worried about it too much right now. I will be giving a bit of thought to this and stealing/adapting them to implement in future combats in this game, although I'm not going to introduce them halfway through this one. Since I've already stolen LCP's other house rules, I don't feel too bad about doing it again. Anyway, perhaps read that discussion and let me know if you have any major issues with implementing this idea.

Thragka
2012-06-30, 05:23 PM
The +4 crit to Abel's left arm: [roll0]

"Arm demolished by attack. Anything held in this hand is dropped (excepting a shield). Blood loss is such that character has a 20% chance of dying each round until medical attention is received. Test at the start of victim's turn each round. Use the Sudden Death rules for any further Critical Hits on this opponent."

Thragka
2012-06-30, 05:25 PM
WAITwait Abel's dodge vs 37!
[roll0]

:smallfrown:

So, before I update, I need to ask - vegetalss4, would you rather Abel lose the arm or a Fate Point?

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-06-30, 05:54 PM
Thragka he could fortune point the dodge roll to reroll it before deciding. It might just save the arm/fate point.

Thragka
2012-06-30, 06:10 PM
That is totally true - thanks for the catch! However, I'll let veg roll it him(?)self rather than either force him to spend or give away the outcome before the decision.

-Sentinel-
2012-06-30, 06:34 PM
Since I've already stolen LCP's other house rules, I don't feel too bad about doing it again.
Rules aren't copyrighted in any case. You can't steal what doesn't belong to anyone.



So, before I update, I need to ask - vegetalss4, would you rather Abel lose the arm or a Fate Point?
Actually, the #6 critical result cannot cause you to lose the arm - that's the #8 result. #6 is only blood loss. That still means his time is short if he doesn't receive medical attention.

Thragka
2012-06-30, 06:47 PM
I know, but after LCP put the work in I feel it's only fair to credit him.

I originally thought that the clause on page 198 saying (emphasis mine) "Many of the critical effects result in the loss of limbs ... " to imply that the word "demolished" should be interpreted literally, but now I see that in fact you are correct. Still, as you saw, veg may wish to spend a fortune point anyway to avoid blood loss.

vegetalss4
2012-07-02, 07:42 AM
I would like to spend a fortune point to reroll my dodge.

Before I do a question through: The original arrow hit on Abel did 11 points of damage by the dice and hit me in the leg, was there any particular reason why it ignored my toughness bonus? Because if that was just an accident then the crit should only be a +1,
which means that Abel drops everything in his left hand except for the shield that is all he has in said hand.

In either case I will spend the fortune point, since being at 0 hit points wont be good for me with the battle still raging.

dodge reroll against 37 [roll0] - sucess

Thragka
2012-07-02, 08:13 AM
Ah - sorry about that, it seems I forgot to apply toughness bonus throughout the goblins' bonus round. That means that Matias is also three wounds better off than I'd thought. Good catch.

I should get to update later today. However, between now and Saturday I'm going to be fairly busy as I'm hosting a bunch of friends, so the next update by me (after today) might not be until Sunday.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I am too tired to put the update together right now. I'll do it early tomorrow afternoon, but after that I think I definitely won't be able to make another until Sunday. Sorry to slow things down in the middle of a combat scene, but at least you won't be pressured by the two-day rule - although if there are still outstanding actions by Saturday evening, I'll autopilot the missing characters.

Thragka
2012-07-03, 06:38 AM
Updated map:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush3.jpg

vegetalss4
2012-07-03, 02:19 PM
Yet another swift attack, priority is still on the chieftain.

attack one (37) [roll0] [roll1]
attack two (37) [roll2] [roll3]

ZeltArruin
2012-07-03, 02:25 PM
My one attack against the goblin threatening Laurent. Aiming first.

to hit: [roll0] vs 35+10(aim)+10(outnumber?)
damage: [roll1]

ZeltArruin
2012-07-03, 02:27 PM
Ulric's Fury!
to hit: [roll0] vs 45/55
damage: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]

I really doubt I will roll more 10's than that, though when I was about to post the above rolls, I thought to myself: 'I bet I'm gonna ulric's fury this attack...'

-Sentinel-
2012-07-03, 04:26 PM
By the way, additional damage for Ulric's Fury is only d10, not d10 + weapon's damage. (Not that it matters here, since the Fury didn't confirm.)

Pretty nice blow all the same.

Thragka
2012-07-04, 04:27 AM
Exciting news! (http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2012/PR17.12E.html)

Hemnon
2012-07-05, 04:12 PM
Attack on goblin above laurent:
WS 29+5(Best quality)=34 vs. [roll0]

any outnumbering-, higher ground-bonuses, etc. is for the GM to include.

Hemnon
2012-07-05, 04:59 PM
GM:

Valerie is still inside the carriage, on the square next to the goblin above laurent.

Thragka
2012-07-05, 07:16 PM
I'm afraid that won't work; as I mentioned in the IC post when you were loading the carriage, the inside is partitioned; the back section is not accessible from inside the carriage. In the passenger section, the only ways to get line of sight are through the door on the left (top) and window on the right (bottom). From within the carriage, you wouldn't be able to hit the triply-outnumbered goblin - the angle is too bad and Simon is in the way. (You can, however, move past/through Simon on your exit from the carriage.)

I'm sorry that this wasn't clear earlier; Hemnon (and anyone else, in fact), it's fine to change your actions before Saturday evening.

Hemnon
2012-07-05, 09:37 PM
I'm afraid that won't work; as I mentioned in the IC post when you were loading the carriage, the inside is partitioned; the back section is not accessible from inside the carriage. In the passenger section, the only ways to get line of sight are through the door on the left (top) and window on the right (bottom). From within the carriage, you wouldn't be able to hit the triply-outnumbered goblin - the angle is too bad and Simon is in the way. (You can, however, move past/through Simon on your exit from the carriage.)

I'm sorry that this wasn't clear earlier; Hemnon (and anyone else, in fact), it's fine to change your actions before Saturday evening.

I have edited my post to suit the correct situation.:smallsmile:

sorry about my screwup, totally forgot how a carriage actually works.:smallsigh:

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-07, 03:43 AM
Attack roll on goblin:

All out attack + outnumbering = +30 [roll0] vs (66)
Damage = (1d10+3)= [roll1] +3 = 11

Thragka
2012-07-07, 10:13 AM
Flying back to Ireland in a few hours. Micha, you have until this evening to post an action for Matias or I'll autopilot for tomorrow's update.

Thragka
2012-07-08, 06:00 PM
Laurent pokes at the goblin to the south and enters a parrying stance.
WS 28 [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Miss

Matias aims and fires. Maybe he'll hit something this time!
Effective BS 46 [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Hah, nope.

The chieftain's soak on the arm and the legs is 3; Abel does five more wounds to it. Not quite in critical territory yet, but nearly there.

In response, the chief attacks and enters a parrying stance too.
Effective WS 45 [roll4] Damage [roll5]
Abel's dodge, against this or the next hit: [roll6]
No dodge, so that's a +2 crit to the left arm.

Siegfried actually has a +40 bonus - 20 from All Out and 20 from triply outnumbering the goblin. Unfortunately, he still misses.

Heinrich's furious blow does a +9 crit if it hits - 80% chance of immediate death.
Goblin's parry: [roll7] - no parry
Critical roll: [roll8] - dead!

The goblin archers ... well. I think, to be fair, the ones that were firing at Simon and Siegfried keep firing at them even though they have an effective 0% chance to hit. Normally I'd randomise the would-be hits (i.e. rolls of 20 or less) but I think given the fact that that would completely excuse the actual target, I'll count those as an automatic miss.

The remaining two fire at Matias.
[roll9] Damage [roll10]
[roll11] Damage [roll12]
Both miss.

The second goblin attacks Abel.
Effective WS 35 [roll13] Damage [roll14]
+3 crit to the left leg.

Laurent's foe, AOAing again:
Effective WS 45/55 [roll15] Damage [roll16]
Laurent takes two more wounds.

Heinrich's foe, single attacking and parrying:
Effecive WS 35 [roll17] Damage [roll18]
He's dead.

The badly outnumbered goblin enters a defensive stance, expecting imminent death.

Thragka
2012-07-08, 06:14 PM
Abel's +2 crit to the left arm: [roll0] Arm incapacitated until medical attention is received.
And +3 to the left leg: [roll1] Blood loss and helpless.

Now, Abel can fortune point the dodge, but it can only apply to the first hit so he's going to start testing for blood loss - and might lose the leg. So, vegetalss4, would you like to burn a fate point now or possibly wait and see if you can survive another few rounds of combat? It's probably in your best interest to do the second, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Sorry that I didn't get this update done earlier today - my flight last night was delayed several hours, so I didn't get home until the wee hours of this morning.

vegetalss4
2012-07-09, 08:03 AM
I will trust your judgment, and wait a few more rounds.
As far as I can see, I wasn't currently using that arm for anything anyway, so saving my fortune point for now.

EDIT:
I think you forgot my soak again, with the goblin chief.
I have toughness 3 and a leather jack on my arm, so he does only 2 points of damage there.
As I started with 3, wounds left, that leaves me on 1 wound and not critted at all, the second goblin should thus only get a +2 critical, which however do have the effect you said his crit should have as opposed to the "near instant death" a roll of 2 would have on a +3 crit.

Being helpless in combat is rather bad, so I think I will spend my second fortitude point for the day on rerolling the dodge, which if successful should leave me uncritted, but with exactly 0 wounds.

vegetalss4
2012-07-09, 08:19 AM
Rerolling dodge
[roll0] - damn, a failure, oh well, helpless and bleeding it is then.

vegetalss4
2012-07-09, 08:27 AM
I just noticed something when reading the section on fortune points.
One can be spent to get an extra parry or dodge, so I use my third and last fortune point for the day to try and parry the crit to my legs.
WS 38 [roll0] - YES! success.
That should leave abel standing, with a whole wound to his name.

Thragka
2012-07-09, 08:37 AM
Damn, I made two mistakes - what I forgot was that you'd successfully rerolled the parry in the previous round, I think; I believe I was counting you as being at zero wounds before you took any damage this round. In addition, I thought Abel had a leather jerkin instead of a leather jack.

So, here's what should have happened, the way I see it:

Chief does six damage. Toughness 3 + armour 1 = soak of 4, so you take two damage, leaving you on one wound.

Other goblin does six damage. Toughness 3 but no armour on the legs = soak of 3, so you lose one wound and take a +2 crit to the left leg. The roll of 2 that I made gives a result of seven, which, as you said, has nearly identical effects to what I had originally thought.

So ... yeah I think we have both come to the same conclusion. Sorry for the mess; I guess now we know I shouldn't start trying to resolve a round of combat at midnight.

EDIT: Actually page 129 says you can't try to parry and dodge the same attack, so you can't spend your final fortune point to do that right now.

vegetalss4
2012-07-09, 08:41 AM
Actually page 129 says you can't try to parry and dodge the same attack, so you can't spend your final fortune point to do that right now.

But I didn't do that, I tried to dodge the first attack (and failed) used a fortune point to reroll the dodge (and failed again) Then lastly I used a fortune point to parry the second attack (and succeeded)

Thragka
2012-07-09, 08:54 AM
That is entirely correct. So, yup, Abel's got one wound left.

Keep bugging me when I make these silly mistakes, guys; it's the only way I'll ever learn. :smallredface:

vegetalss4
2012-07-09, 08:59 AM
That is entirely correct. So, yup, Abel's got one wound left.

Keep bugging me when I make these silly mistakes, guys; it's the only way I'll ever learn. :smallredface:

Hey, no problem. Anyone can make a mistake.

Thragka
2012-07-09, 02:40 PM
Damn, forgot Laurent could try to parry:
[roll0]
Nope.

Map:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush4.jpg

ZeltArruin
2012-07-09, 03:04 PM
Would I be able to close with Abel and the goblin chieftain? It looks like he could use some help. I should be able to, it's only 4 open squares.

Though, I do want to clear Laurent and help the other two, I dunno, maybe go for a morale thingy? Whatever.

What's the bonus for charging? If it's +20, I'll do that, otherwise just a normal move.

Attack on the GC: (no aim, 2:1 outnumber)
to hit: [roll0] vs 45
damage: [roll1]

Attack of opportunity from the goblin next to me
to hit: [roll2] vs ?
damage: [roll3]

Thragka
2012-07-09, 03:19 PM
You can close with the goblin chieftain at a charge, but charging only provides a +10% bonus. Still, I don't see any reason not to do that.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-09, 07:39 PM
Oh, I thought there was some penalty to parry/dodge if you charged. Turns out you don't, and with that knowledge, I would have declared a charge to begin with.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-10, 02:37 PM
Matias is certainly useless with that bloody crossbow. I'll reload and aim yet again.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-10, 02:46 PM
Assuming Matias misses yet again, I might get him to move that carriage as to allow it to better provide cover from the archers. He should do something useful, :P

Thragka
2012-07-10, 06:06 PM
I'll just publicly quote what I said to Micha in a PM:

Moving the carriage would require a successful Drive test, as the horses are probably a little spooked by the smell of the greenskins and the constant back-and-forth of arrows and quarrels. Note that they cannot reverse; you'll have to move them forward into a turn, if you catch my meaning. It would take a full action to complete the whole manoeuvre of cajoling them to move and then getting them to stop promptly.

Hemnon
2012-07-11, 05:21 AM
Im rather afraid of casting more magic... but the secret is already out so: should i just go magic dart on the little bastards?

Thragka
2012-07-11, 12:46 PM
I present a slightly nicer map:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush4-1.png

Ech, some of the proportions (and the perspective) are a bit skewed, but I'll keep working on it.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-11, 05:59 PM
Which program did you use for that map? If MS Paint; well done, sir.

Thragka
2012-07-12, 07:05 AM
Hah, thanks but no; the programme I've been trying to learn to use is called Inkscape (http://inkscape.org), and it's considerably more sophisticated than Paint. Practically did all those fancy gradients for me.

Thragka
2012-07-12, 03:17 PM
Two-ish days' notice. I'll autopilot anyone with outstanding actions by ~3 p.m. tomorrow (British Summer Time).

Micha Sieling
2012-07-12, 07:53 PM
Ah, you know what, I'll use a Fortune Point to take that shot, too.

Please, forum goblins, let this happen!

[roll0] vs 46
[roll1]

Wish that could have been more. 7 to the right arm, anyway.

Thragka
2012-07-13, 11:33 AM
Okay, time for another round of rolling.

Laurent decides to retreat - he disengages back, slipping behind Heinrich to the edge of the forest, and enters a defensive stance.

Matias does four points of damage to one of the goblins. At this rate, he may kill one before using up all his bolts!

Abel does not get up to much apart from entering parrying stance.

The chieftain once again attacks and enters a parrying stance.
Effective WS 45 [roll0] Damage [roll1]
Abel's Parry [roll2]
A successful hit, and unparried, so Abel takes 12 damage to the head. Toughness 3, helmet + mail coif give 4 armour points, so that's 5 damage after soak, or a +4 critical. I swear, if I've calculated this wrong again I'm going to either give up or go break something.

Autopiloting Siegfried: he all-out attacks once again, eager to finish his enemy combatant off. WS 36 + 20 AOA + 10 Outnumbering - 20 Goblin's defensive stance = effective WS 46
[roll3] Damage [roll4]
A nice hit to the left arm, delivering a +8 crit.

The top goblin's attack of opportunity misses. Heinrich's charge turns his roll into a hit (to the right arm), dealing six points of damage after soak, or a +5 crit. Critical roll: [roll5]
Goblin chieftain's parry: [roll6]
The chieftain parries what would otherwise have been a very gorey death.

Simon swings and misses.

Since Hemnon dithered about whether or not to cast a spell, Valerie just sits tight and doesn't get up to any funny business inside.

The archers all take aim. Three of them shoot at Laurent as he comes into view past Siegfried, but at an additional -10 penalty to hit due to him stepping into the forested region.
[roll7] Damage [roll8]
[roll9] Damage [roll10]
[roll11] Damage [roll12]
All miss.

The other three shoot at Matias.
[roll13] Damage [roll14]
[roll15] Damage [roll16]
[roll17] Damage [roll18]
All miss.

Laurent's erstwhile foe moves to the back of the coach and tries to climb onto it. The flange and the rear door's handle provide adequate footholds (especially for small feet), so it's a Very Easy (+20) Scale Sheer Surface test.
[roll19]
Easily successful.

Finally, Abel's other little green friend has another all-out go at poking him to bits.
Effective WS 55 [roll20] Damage [roll21]
A miss.

Thragka
2012-07-13, 11:40 AM
The chieftain's +4 crit to Abel's head: [roll0]
8. Face shattered and knocked to the ground. Character is now considered helpless. Blood loss is such that the victim has a 20% chance of dying each round until medical attention is received. Use the Sudden Death rules for any further Critical Hits on this character. If he survives this combat, he must make a successful Toughness Test or lose an eye permanently.

Siegfried's +8 crit to the goblin's left arm: [roll1]
9. Major artery severed. After a fraction of a second, character collapses with blood pouring out of the ruins of his shoulder. Death from shock and blood loss is almost instantaneous.

Updated map, now with wound markers for NPCs and a very special helplessness marker for one of you guys:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush5.png

ZeltArruin
2012-07-13, 12:16 PM
I know where my attack is going. Abel's horse! I mean the goblin chieftain!

Aiming first.
to hit: [roll0]vs45
damage: [roll1]

Parry/Dodge [roll2]

Edit: A resounding miss. Lol.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-13, 02:11 PM
Matias will load and fire at the goblin who had joined him on the coach.

BS 36 + 20 point blank = 56 vs [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Down to 10 bolts.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-13, 02:13 PM
Sigh... Well done, Matias.

vegetalss4
2012-07-13, 10:32 PM
Ouch, sadly it seems that you have calculated correctly and that Abel thus falls.
So 20% chance of death, should I not get medical help (which I find unlikely to happen just yet, what with both goblins still standing right next to me.).
Now watch me start to roll low, now that I no longer are rolling attacks on my foes.
[roll0] - nope, still not dead.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-14, 11:04 AM
And since he's missed that goblin, he'll quick draw his sword. I'm assuming I'd have to separately draw his shield? If not, it's coming out, too.

Thragka
2012-07-14, 11:07 AM
It's fine to draw more than one thing at once without having to worry about how many actions it takes.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-14, 11:34 AM
Too easy. Sword and shield, then. It's the minor things I'm unsure of at this point, but I feel like I've gotten the hang of the system on a large scale.

Edit: How far is the ground from the seat/coach roof?

Thragka
2012-07-15, 08:02 AM
From the seat of the coach - not far. Not far enough to incur damage if you fall off, and low enough to hop down without needing any sort of test.

From the roof, you would need to climb down or drop off carefully. I think an Easy agility test to jump off is appropriate, and if you fail then you fall over when you land and need a half action to stand up.

Thragka
2012-07-15, 05:26 PM
BlueMagnusStorm, you around? I almost feel bad piloting Siegfried when he's doing a disproportionate amount of the successful violence. Why is it always the medical ones that end up the most dangerous? :smallbiggrin:

Micha Sieling
2012-07-15, 09:12 PM
BlueMagnusStorm, you around? I almost feel bad piloting Siegfried when he's doing a disproportionate amount of the successful violence. Why is it always the medical ones that end up the most dangerous? :smallbiggrin:

When you know how to heal the body, you know how easily it's damaged.

Thragka
2012-07-16, 02:11 PM
Still waiting on a few actions. Am I rushing you too much by trying to cleave to this two-day round rollover? It seems for the last couple of rounds I've had to chase down the last few actions. I realise this combat is dragging out a bit - I have to admit I might have overestimated how long it would take you to deal with the goblins.

So, basically what I want to know is are you guys just busy, am I pushing too fast or are you just wanting the combat to wrap up soon? I'll take onboard any input you have, either now or in the future.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-16, 03:22 PM
I'm just busy a lot, and even though figuring out and writing up my actions only takes 10 minutes, I lose track of it. I should have time to get that done tonight.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-16, 04:54 PM
BlueMagnusStorm, you around? I almost feel bad piloting Siegfried when he's doing a disproportionate amount of the successful violence.

I'm sorry last week was absolute hell for me didn't get a second to myself at all but i'm back now.


Why is it always the medical ones that end up the most dangerous? :smallbiggrin:

To fix the body you need to know how to break it! :)

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-16, 05:09 PM
As his next turn Siegfried's gonna move to the nearest goblin and attempt to liberate him from his body parts. [roll0] Vs 36 Damage: (1d10+3) [roll1] +3= 7

Edit: Actually before I make my post. Is it possible for Siegfried to charge the goblin chief or the other goblin closets to him? If so that'll be my action.

Thragka
2012-07-16, 05:35 PM
You will be able to make a roundabout charge on either the chieftain or the other goblin that was attacking Abel. However, if you do I'm going to ask you to re-roll your attack - otherwise you already know the charge is going to hit. In any case, this is a bit too close to a free reroll for comfort - in the future, I'd appreciate if everyone could make sure to declare their actions clearly before making any rolls, just so that there's no possibility of taking advantage of retroactive changes.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-16, 06:30 PM
Aim and attack GC!

to hit: [roll0] vs 45
damages: [roll1]

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-16, 06:36 PM
You will be able to make a roundabout charge on either the chieftain or the other goblin that was attacking Abel. However, if you do I'm going to ask you to re-roll your attack - otherwise you already know the charge is going to hit. In any case, this is a bit too close to a free reroll for comfort - in the future, I'd appreciate if everyone could make sure to declare their actions clearly before making any rolls, just so that there's no possibility of taking advantage of retroactive changes.

Ok that's fine. Sorry I'll make sure to get my actions clear in future before I make any kind of roll. I can spend a fortune point and make it a sort of reroll of the attack if you'd like so that it's not a free reroll. Just came to me after the roll that I should probably try to get as close to Abel asap to stop him from bleeding out.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-16, 06:46 PM
I'll charge the goblin that's not the chief then.
[roll0] vs 46
Damage: (1d10+3) [roll1] +3= 9

Micha Sieling
2012-07-16, 07:09 PM
I may be the "lone wolf" on this one, but an increase in the combat speed would be more to my liking. Now, I've had my absences as well, but a 1/day round is well within my capabilities. That said, I'm more for a faster pace because in my (limited) pbp experience, the more time people are given to complete posts, the more likely they are to lose track.

Now keep in mind, that's just my two pennies, and can deal with whatever pace the group can support.

Thragka
2012-07-17, 09:23 AM
Alright then, just waiting on Hemnon and Sentinel for actions and feedback. vegetal, I'm guessing you're happy enough with Abel not doing anything this round, and I'm also guessing that since you're generally pretty quick in submitting your actions that you can handle the current round rate and possibly a slightly higher one.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-17, 04:24 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't acted this round...

Is it possible to cast a touch spell with a charge attack?

Thragka
2012-07-17, 06:09 PM
Is it possible to cast a touch spell with a charge attack?

Well, you can grapple on a charge, so I'm going to say yes, you can also cast a touch spell on a charge, and factor the +10 to hit into the Weapon Skill test to touch. However, you still need to take the concentration test against Willpower. Can you tell me who you're trying to do this against so I can set the concentration difficulty?

(I feel pretty silly for only just noticing I didn't put the house rules in the first post of this thread ...)

-Sentinel-
2012-07-17, 06:13 PM
Oh, right, the WP test... Never mind then, I'll just charge and attack normally the goblin at the rear, near the goblin chief.

+10 charge bonus, +5 for best craftsmanship staff.

WS 39: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

*sigh* Soaked.

Thragka
2012-07-17, 06:16 PM
Pity. For future reference I'll generally be applying positive modifiers to the Concentration check for "small" combats, especially in a case like this where you had the advantage of charging from out of sight.

EDIT: Since we've had bad results in the past with me trying to resolve combat rounds after midnight, I'm going to leave the customary wall of dice until tomorrow.

vegetalss4
2012-07-18, 08:53 AM
Alright then, just waiting on Hemnon and Sentinel for actions and feedback. vegetal, I'm guessing you're happy enough with Abel not doing anything this round, and I'm also guessing that since you're generally pretty quick in submitting your actions that you can handle the current round rate and possibly a slightly higher one.

Well I am not exactly happy about it, but I am out of options and have accepted the lot fortune dealt me :smalltongue:
Your other assumption is entirely correct for the time being.

EDIT: even should I have missed some option I could have taken, In the interest of speed I am certain that it could wait for next round.
A question through? is the roll to see if I bleed out at start of the round or the end of it? that is if someone gives me aid next round do I still have to roll for it then?

Thragka
2012-07-18, 04:01 PM
A question through? is the roll to see if I bleed out at start of the round or the end of it? that is if someone gives me aid next round do I still have to roll for it then?

At the start of every round, so once you get the Heal test you're fine.

1

The chieftain feints and then attacks. Opposed WS test: Chieftain [roll0] Heinrich [roll1] Heinrich wins.
Chieftain's attack roll: [roll2] Damage [roll3] It misses.
Heinrich's parry, if he won the opposed test: [roll4]

Siegfried does six wounds to the goblin, bringing it down to zero.

The chieftain's parry against Heinrich: [roll5] Unsuccessful
If he doesn't parry, Heinrich does six wounds to the chest after soak, dealing the chieftain a +5 critical.
Critical roll: [roll6]

7. The blow results in serious internal bleeding and the character is helpless. Blood loss is such that the victim has a 20% chance of dying each round until medical attention is received. Test at the start of his turn each round. Use the sudden death rules for any further Critical Hits on this opponent.

Simon unfortunately does not manage to crit the goblin he charges.

The archers reload. Two of them aim at Laurent, two take potshots at Matias.
To hit [roll7] Damage [roll8]
To hit [roll9] Damage [roll10]

The other two move closer to the coach. The one on top of the coach closes with Matias and attacks, with a higher ground bonus.
Effective WS35 [roll11] Damage [roll12] Miss
Matias' parry: [roll13]

On another note, Micha, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Matias took one wound in the surprise round - the shot that hit him did seven damage, and he has a soak of six to the chest, if I'm correct - so that'll be marked on the map.

Map:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush6.png

vegetalss4
2012-07-18, 04:14 PM
At the start of every round, so once you get the Heal test you're fine.


I am afraid that I am still uncertain.
Does that mean that I can roll for bleeding right after the IC post, or would people be able to get me help before then*?

*in which case I would wait so that people wouldn't know if Abel will bleed to "death" before they make the choice to save him or not.

Thragka
2012-07-18, 04:19 PM
You test at the start of your turn, which means in initiative order. Since nobody ahead of you in the initiative order has the Heal skill, you may as well test now if you want.

vegetalss4
2012-07-18, 04:24 PM
Okey dokey then

Watch me bleed [roll0] curses, slain by my quick reflexes.
I am guessing that means I lose the first fate point of the campaign.

Thragka
2012-07-18, 04:38 PM
That's what gallantry gets you! Is there any particular way you want to characterise this for the next round's write-up? If so you can either go ahead and post Abel's fall into unconsciousness, or I'll incorporate it into the next round's write-up.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-18, 04:56 PM
You would be correct, Sir. 1 wound suffered as of yet.

Now, may I post my intended actions, and if they don't pan out, burn my last Fortune Point to gain a third action before that goblin makes his turn?

If not, I'll just burn the point and delay the last action - if necessary.

Thragka
2012-07-18, 05:14 PM
Not sure I exactly follow, but if you're saying you want to be able to make the choice of whether to use the Fortune point or not before I do the next round's resolution, then that's fine. You can include some sort of conditional clause in any set of actions, for future reference, saying something like "If X roll hits, I do Y, otherwise I do Z". Either way, if you post the first set of actions now I'll see them and check whether you want to use the fortune point or not before resolving the next round.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-18, 05:48 PM
Gotchya. You definitely answered my question, thanks.

Matias will simply step up to the roof of the coach by the quickest means possible, forgoing his guard for mobility. He will use the remaining half action to attack the goblin.

WS: 32 vs [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Crossing fingers!

Wow. Always the way with this guy! A fortune point can't re-roll damage, can it?

Hemnon
2012-07-19, 06:40 AM
I hope people don't mind that Valerie doesn't do much combat-ing. she's not a trained warrior or an experienced wizard as of yet, so she's not great for fighting... atleast not yet.:smallsmile:

Thragka
2012-07-20, 12:16 PM
A fortune point can't re-roll damage, can it?

No, it can't - I imagine because when you fail a characteristic test, it's no worse to fail again, but if you re-roll damage and get a lower result there's a propensity for an argument over whether it's always the better roll or the later roll that counts.


I hope people don't mind that Valerie doesn't do much combat-ing. she's not a trained warrior or an experienced wizard as of yet, so she's not great for fighting... atleast not yet.:smallsmile:

No problem in my view, anyway - seems a pretty reasonable way of playing the character.

Two days! Actions ASAP, please.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-20, 01:43 PM
No, it can't - I imagine because when you fail a characteristic test, it's no worse to fail again, but if you re-roll damage and get a lower result there's a propensity for an argument over whether it's always the better roll or the later roll that counts.

No doubt. Well that's the risk, I suppose.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-20, 04:24 PM
Simon vs goblin:

Parrying stance.

Regular attack, WS 24: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]


Simon, is there no rock bottom to your uselessness? (-_-)

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-20, 10:28 PM
Siegfried all out attacks the goblin:

[roll0] vs 56

Damage (1d10+3):
[roll1] +3 = 5

Thragka
2012-07-21, 07:29 AM
Just waiting on Hemnon and ZeltAruin.

Hemnon
2012-07-21, 04:18 PM
Wait, i need to post?? um, what about the goblins turn?

Thragka
2012-07-21, 05:19 PM
All the goblins except for the chieftain are last in the initiative order so their turn comes at the end of each round - last round, the one on the roof moved forward to Matias and two of the archers came forward from their cover, as you can see on the map. Each of my IC posts following my OOC rolls denotes the start of a new round.

vegetalss4
2012-07-21, 06:16 PM
So I was thinking, since Abel is now unconscious, could I perhaps get someone to send me a pm once he wakes up, or if there is some OOC development or ruling I should be aware of?

Thragka
2012-07-21, 06:35 PM
Absolutely. It's most likely only going to be until the end of the combat, though; I feel the main reason for representing burning fate as something like temporary unconsciousness is so that you don't just charge right back into the danger zone and get killed all over again.

vegetalss4
2012-07-21, 08:15 PM
Absolutely. It's most likely only going to be until the end of the combat, though; I feel the main reason for representing burning fate as something like temporary unconsciousness is so that you don't just charge right back into the danger zone and get killed all over again.

Thank you.
I agree with your judgment.

Thragka
2012-07-22, 05:39 PM
Okay, since ZeltAruin hasn't been online in two days, I'll autopilot Heinrich for a round.

Matias deals two damage to the goblin on the roof post-soak.

Since Dawn is pretty much surrounded on all sides by fighting and her rider is unconscious, she's a little spooked and backs away from the log.

Siegfried deals a +2 crit to the outnumbered goblin's head.
Critical roll: [roll0]
Knocked to the ground and dazed. All his tests and attacks suffer a -30% penalty for one round and he must use the stand action to regain his feet.

Now, Heinrich first does a standard attack against the helpless chieftain ...
Damage [roll1]
Critical roll: [roll2]

Thragka
2012-07-22, 05:51 PM
... which definitely kills the chieftain. For his second half action, Heinrich closes with the other goblin. This additional outnumbering bonus plus the fact that the goblin is stunned actually boost Simon's roll to a hit, but he still doesn't manage to do any damage.

The triply-triply outnumbered goblin stands up and then flees, prompting a variety of attacks from the humans nobly ganging up on it.
Siegfried: [roll0] Damage [roll1] Crit: [roll2]
Heinrich: [roll3] Damage [roll4] Crit: [roll5]
Simon: [roll6] Damage [roll7] Crit: [roll8]

The rest [roll9]
take [roll10]
a [roll11]
series [roll12]
of [roll13]
willpower [roll14]
tests [roll15]
to see if they stand their ground or not.

Thragka
2012-07-22, 05:57 PM
The archer that didn't flee aims and shoots into the combat atop the coach. It hits Matias on a roll of 1-20 and the other goblin on a 21-40.
To hit: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
And would you believe it, Matias takes 8 damage after soak.

If it's still alive, the rooftop goblin tries to flee, needing a successful agility test to avoid falling off the coach. If it falls it takes [roll2] damage and stands up; otherwise, it scarpers.

Thragka
2012-07-22, 05:58 PM
Damn, forgot the actual agility test: [roll0]

Thragka
2012-07-22, 06:00 PM
LAST POST BY ME: THE FALLING GOBLIN'S +3 CRIT TO ITSELF. [roll0]

Killed itself. As you will see from the map, combat is nearly over.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/Warhammer/The%20Waters%20of%20Life/ambush7-1.png

Micha Sieling
2012-07-22, 08:22 PM
Jeeze. Well I'll quick draw the crossbow, load and fire at that last goblin in a desperate attempt to succeed in killing SOMETHING.

[roll0] vs 36
[roll1]

Hah. Couldn't have just ended there.

Thragka
2012-07-23, 04:40 PM
Can you do me a favour and write that up yourself in the IC thread? I don't want to double-post, but also there's no real point dragging out another round of combat where most of the PCs likely won't try to engage the lone enemy - if nobody else minds, I'll just have Matias act and then the goblin respond.

Micha Sieling
2012-07-23, 07:30 PM
Can you do me a favour and write that up yourself in the IC thread? I don't want to double-post, but also there's no real point dragging out another round of combat where most of the PCs likely won't try to engage the lone enemy - if nobody else minds, I'll just have Matias act and then the goblin respond.

Sounds good to me. One of Matias or that bloody goblin will die, mark my words.

Quick question, though; what kind of action am I looking at to down that Healing Draught? Just expanding options.

Also, let's hope I can recover at least half of those (currently) six bolts I've shot with.

Thragka
2012-07-24, 09:48 AM
One of Matias or that bloody goblin will die, mark my words.

Heh - as someone who plays Orcs and Goblins in the tabletop game, I think you're underestimating a goblin's self-preservation instinct.

Combat time's over, everyone. vegetal, Abel is free to come around now.

EDIT: Henceforth we'll be adapting LCP's Mounted Combat rules, as I mentioned earlier, which I'm about to add to the first post in this thread.

vegetalss4
2012-07-25, 02:05 PM
Heh - as someone who plays Orcs and Goblins in the tabletop game, I think you're underestimating a goblin's self-preservation instinct.

Combat time's over, everyone. vegetal, Abel is free to come around now.


While I have permission to have Abel wake now, I would prefer if someone treated him first since I think being saved by a peasant in that way would be good for him.


EDIT: Henceforth we'll be adapting LCP's Mounted Combat rules, as I mentioned earlier, which I'm about to add to the first post in this thread.

Excellent. I predict that the combination of this and me remembering that having a shield in my off-hand gives me a free parry each round shall increase Abel's effectiveness to a rather large degree next combat.

Thragka
2012-07-25, 02:39 PM
Excellent. I predict that the combination of this and me remembering that having a shield in my off-hand gives me a free parry each round shall increase Abel's effectiveness to a rather large degree next combat.

Heh, hopefully - although you did manage to pass quite a few Dodges, which won't be allowed any more. And the very first arrow did account for an awful lot of your wounds. To be honest I'm pretty glad the archers did turn out to be as useless as I'd expected, I hardly wanted to nearly kill two characters in the first combat of the adventure.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-25, 04:29 PM
@ vegetalss4, I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but your character's last name should be De Celeste, not D'Celeste. The [d'] contraction comes only before a vowel, except in spoken language.

vegetalss4
2012-07-25, 04:44 PM
@ vegetalss4, I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but your character's last name should be De Celeste, not D'Celeste. The [d'] contraction comes only before a vowel, except in spoken language.

I bow to your superior knowledge of french (meaning anything more than a short trek through google and assorted sites.)

Thragka
2012-07-25, 04:55 PM
Just in case you weren't aware, vegetal, a healing poultice is pretty much a mix of herbs, mud, dung, ground up bones and whatever else the maker has learnt to add in via local folklore, rather than actual medical knowledge. So if Abel wakes up now, he wakes up to a peasant rubbing something unpleasant on him to no apparent beneficial effect.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-26, 10:02 AM
Sorry about that guys, I was away on vacation since last friday. I will now be back to posting regularly.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-07-26, 10:06 AM
Healing for Abel

[roll0] (41)

Since Abel is heavily wounded and I don't have surgery I believe he gets one wound back.

Thragka
2012-07-26, 10:10 AM
Healing for Abel

[roll0] (41)

Since Abel is heavily wounded and I don't have surgery I believe he gets one wound back.

That's correct.

Thragka
2012-07-30, 08:40 AM
So I take it Heinrich is going to try to move the trunk - anyone else doing anything? Is Matias looking to get patched up at all?

Micha Sieling
2012-07-30, 10:24 AM
So I take it Heinrich is going to try to move the trunk - anyone else doing anything? Is Matias looking to get patched up at all?

Matias can't heal himself, that much I'm sure of. With only one wound left, the draught won't do a thing, and he can't heal himself.

As for anything else, I think Matias would be pretty useless trying to move anything except himself atop his own two feet.

Thragka
2012-07-30, 10:30 AM
Simon and Siegfried can try to heal him, though - I don't believe there's a limit on how many different people the Heal skill can be use in, just that the same person can't receive multiple successful Heal test in the aftermath of the same encounter. Thanks for clarifying though.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-30, 10:31 AM
So I take it Heinrich is going to try to move the trunk - anyone else doing anything? Is Matias looking to get patched up at all?

That would be correct. Gotta use them muscles for something.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-30, 12:44 PM
Simon and Siegfried can try to heal him, though - I don't believe there's a limit on how many different people the Heal skill can be use in, just that the same person can't receive multiple successful Heal test in the aftermath of the same encounter.
Simon has already tried and failed.

Thragka
2012-07-30, 02:49 PM
Simon has already tried and failed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that Heal Test was for Abel, wasn't it? I don't think that means you can't try again on Matias.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-30, 03:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that Heal Test was for Abel, wasn't it? I don't think that means you can't try again on Matias.
Oh right, sorry... I still have trouble remembering who's who.

Thragka
2012-07-31, 08:03 AM
Oh right, sorry... I still have trouble remembering who's who.

No worries, I generally had to proofread my combat resolution posts to check that I haven't mixed people up. I think I'm getting better though.

I'll let you guys play out the healing IC. Before we move the scene along, I need to ask two things:
Hemnon, how does Valerie respond to Marperic's request?
ZeltArruin, can you roll a few Strength tests for Heinrich to move the trunk? The number of tests before you get a success will simply determine how long it takes him to drag it to the side of the road.

ZeltArruin
2012-07-31, 08:59 AM
Sure thing. I was actually going to put these in my last post, but decided against preemptively doing so.

Rolls:
[roll0]vs 40
[roll1]vs 40
[roll2]vs 40
[roll3]vs 40
[roll4]vs 40
[roll5]vs 40
[roll6]vs 40
[roll7]vs 40
[roll8]vs 40
[roll9]vs 40

Ten should be plenty.

-Sentinel-
2012-07-31, 05:05 PM
Forgot to heal myself...

Heal 35: [roll0]
Wounds healed: [roll1]

Hemnon
2012-08-01, 04:44 AM
Hemnon, how does Valerie respond to Marperic's request?


She Helps Marperic of course, do you need me to post that she does it, or will this do?

Thragka
2012-08-01, 05:16 AM
This'll do, thanks; I just didn't want to skip over the chance for you to make an IC post for her if you wanted.

Hemnon
2012-08-01, 09:53 AM
This'll do, thanks; I just didn't want to skip over the chance for you to make an IC post for her if you wanted.

Thanks for the consideration then :3

I asked because i didn't really see the need for an IC post of her simply walking over to the carriage.:smalltongue:

ZeltArruin
2012-08-01, 02:48 PM
Incidentally, being a somewhat good person, I also want to clear the other trunk off the road.

More S checks if needed:
[roll0] vs 40
[roll1] vs 40
[roll2] vs 40
[roll3] vs 40
[roll4] vs 40

vegetalss4
2012-08-01, 05:01 PM
Hey Hemnon, are Valerie quiet when she holds her speech, or would the rest of us be able to hear her?

Hemnon
2012-08-01, 06:46 PM
Hey Hemnon, are Valerie quiet when she holds her speech, or would the rest of us be able to hear her?

Quiet (Like Marperic) and hissing of course, why do you ask?

Thragka
2012-08-01, 06:49 PM
Hey Hemnon, are Valerie quiet when she holds her speech, or would the rest of us be able to hear her?

Good question - I was going to ask this if nobody else did. Either way, I think it's fine for Simon to hear it since I reckon he'd be keeping an ear out for that sort of conversation.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Hemnon. Personally, I imagine learning that the young foreigners are wizards might be of interest to a Knight Errant.

Nice roll, ZeltArruin - Heinrich easily tugs the rear tree aside.

I'll post again tomorrow - bedtime for me here.

Hemnon
2012-08-02, 09:25 AM
Would it be okay if the place Valerie pointed at when asking if she could 'Go over there to cool off', was over near Abel and his horse (and the flipped-over tree). it is in the exact opposite direction of Marperic, so it would make sense, right?

Thragka
2012-08-02, 09:55 AM
I've no problem with that! Feel free to carry on a conversation between yourselves if you want; I'm just going to put up Marperic's short response to Valerie, but after that the next update from me will be back on the road again. That won't be until this evening as I'm a bit busy today, but in any case I want to ensure you all have the chance to do or say anything else you want at the ambush site before moving on.

Thragka
2012-08-02, 06:06 PM
'Fraid I have to postpone the update until tomorrow - I can never write when I'm tired, it seems. So, still time for anyone to talk or whatnot - Micha Sieling, do you still want to search for those bolts? If so, it's a straight fifty-fifty chance to find each of them, rolled independently.

Otherwise, next you'll hear from me will be the further trials and tribulations of the Bretonnian travelling merchant.

Micha Sieling
2012-08-03, 12:53 AM
Indeed I'll search for any good bolts. If memory serves, I fired 6?

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

1 recovered. 10 bolts left then.

Thragka
2012-08-03, 04:30 PM
Alrighty, with that monster post out of the way, I think it's time I dished out some XP. First of all, combat XP: the easiest to calculate, methinks, and the fight with the goblins was worth roughly 50 XP. I've been enjoying seeing how you guys have been developing relationships between your characters and generally roleplaying in the sort-of prologue we've been having up until now, so that's definitely worth 20 XP or so. And, since this is the first XP you're getting from me, and so far you've put up with my tendency to vomit walls of text at you, so I think I'll round that up to a nice 100 XP for everyone. Feel free to spend it however you wish - please just notify me here when you've made your choice, and go ahead and update your character sheets.

I'll try to draw up a basic map of Remy-sur-Orne over the next few days.

-Sentinel-
2012-08-03, 04:45 PM
Thanks! I'll go with +5 Int. I update my own character sheet, though.

Thragka
2012-08-03, 05:08 PM
I update my own character sheet, though.

That's what I was trying to ask you to do, thanks - sorry if I mangled my instruction.

Hemnon
2012-08-03, 06:54 PM
I bought +5% Will Power.

ZeltArruin
2012-08-03, 07:10 PM
+5 WS. Don't think I have many good options remaining for talents.

Micha Sieling
2012-08-04, 12:08 AM
+5 WS for Matias, too. Sheet updated accordingly.

Thragka
2012-08-04, 04:59 PM
Alright, here's my attempt at a narrative map. Please note that this is neither necessarily definitive nor to scale. The stone building is the Shallyan shrine, the lighter rectangles in the south-east are the market stalls, and the big empty squares west of the river are animal pens. The messy yellow thing represents fields of wheat on the hillside.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s243/Thragka/remysurorne.png

I'm hoping BlueMagnusStorm will pop up sometime soon - I notice he hasn't logged into the forum in a week. I might bother him with another email tomorrow.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-08-04, 09:02 PM
Wow really a week? Ooops, slipped my mind sorry.
I'll Take +5 int for Siegfried.

Thragka
2012-08-05, 06:37 AM
Well, speak of the devil, eh?

I ought to mention that I have absolutely no problem with characters going in separate directions - play by post makes that particularly easy, and if necessary I can sequester your updates into separate spoilers so that there's not too much OOC knowledge floating around.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-08-05, 02:57 PM
Well, speak of the devil, eh?

And I will come :smallbiggrin:.

Thragka
2012-08-05, 06:56 PM
Just waiting to know what Abel intends to do.

Thragka
2012-08-08, 12:18 PM
Heh, managed to post the IC update in the wrong thread, but no harm done thankfully. I've partitioned you into spoilers as you go in different directions, so for now please only read the one involving your character; while that's not so important right now, it's good practice as it might be needed later.

ZeltArruin
2012-08-08, 12:54 PM
Who's this Sigurd, and why has he taken Heinrich's space on the way to the shrine?

Thragka
2012-08-08, 01:04 PM
Ech, my bad, managed to get confused with a different game. :smallfrown: Editing now.

Thragka
2012-08-11, 04:12 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, was travelling over the last few days.

BMS, Siegfried up to much at the market? I would prefer to avoid one group of PCs getting further ahead in time than the others.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-08-11, 10:06 PM
Nope not really. Just taking in the sights and sounds of the city mostly.

Hemnon
2012-08-12, 10:35 AM
why are the bretons praying to imperial gods?:smalltongue:

don't they have that lady of the lake or something?

Thragka
2012-08-12, 10:54 AM
Good question. The gods such as Shallya, Morr, Verena etc. aren't just Imperial gods; they're venerated across the Old World. Some nations just give particular gods larger roles in their culture - Sigmar, for example, is rarely worshipped outside the Empire, and Myrmidia in particular usurps Ulric's position as the warrior deity in Tilea and Estalia. It's more to do with what is important in your average Old Worlder's life: those living near or relying on the sea will think of Manaan as more important. Shallya and Morr in particular are two gods that are seen as important in all Old World human civilisations; after all, everyone needs the services of a midwife and healer at some point in their lives, and everybody dies (and wants to stay dead when they do). I'd go so far as to say that Shallya is probably the most frequently worshipped deity in the Old World.

The Lady of the Lake is restricted to Bretonnia in much the same way as Sigmar is the patron of the Empire. However, there's an important distinction; the Lady is properly the goddess of the noble classes of Bretonnia, as she stands for chivalry, honour and protecting your people. While some peasants such as Grail Pilgrims do devote their lives to her, this is extremely uncommon - usually, the only interaction your average Bretonnian has with the Grail Faith is when the Fay come for their children. If they are lucky, there might be a nearby grail chapel, and the local Grail Knight will give a sermon there every week. Other than that, though, the common people of Bretonnia stick to the same pantheon as Imperials, with the absence of Sigmar.

Hemnon
2012-08-12, 03:34 PM
ah, now i understand a little better:smallsmile:

Micha Sieling
2012-08-15, 05:44 PM
Sorry for the lack of attendance, guys. Needless to say, work got in the way - 24-hour jobs are miserable - but I'm here to stay. Of course until another such time that I'll be unexpectedly volun-told to work a week-long event with very limited network coverage.

Thragka
2012-08-16, 09:04 AM
Not to worry, Micha. In fact, I had just been intending to ask you all how you felt the spoiler system was working. Since (not to give you too much OOC knowledge, but so it goes) all three groups are currently just engaging in conversation, I've been doing my best to update only when it's suitable for at least two of them. So far I think it's been a good balance between making sure everyone gets time to respond and not letting one group slow down the other two. I'm conscious that in the large group, though, sometimes not everyone gets a chance to add to the conversation before it moves on - I don't want anyone's ability to post quickly unduly affect their character's ability to get a quick word in. So, any comments or suggestions?

vegetalss4
2012-08-16, 04:16 PM
I think it works pretty well from what I have seen. So thumbs up.

While I am giving compliments, I would like to say that I am very impressed by your skill Thragka.
When I choose to stay in the inn I was afraid that I had written myself temporarily out of the game with my character choice. But you had something ready for me, and furthermore I suspect that if I had chosen something else as my first spoilered action you would have had something completely different for me to engage with.
Mad probs to you sir, for you are great:smallcool:.

Hemnon
2012-08-16, 04:30 PM
I'm ready to move on with the Shallya scene.

don't really see a need for a skip to the pray itself, so i'm totally fine if we timeskipped to our return to the inn.

Thragka
2012-08-17, 08:23 AM
Well, I didn't want to write you out of the game either, veg. I feel like it's too early in the game yet to accept consequences, but I'm glad you feel it's all working well so far.

I'm going to be away for the weekend and I might not have enough time or internet access to put together an update until Sunday or even possibly Monday. So I'll handle group movement then.

Thragka
2012-08-18, 06:13 PM
Just a quick addendum from me: BMS, it'd be great if you could get a post in between now and Monday, as then I'll be able to update for everyone at once.

Thragka
2012-08-24, 06:50 AM
Anyone at the shrine who is no longer interested in the conversation is free to pray or wander off as they see fit. In any case there is probably going to be a bit of a timeskip coming up if nobody wants to do anything else immediately - but if any of you have other plans feel free to act upon them.

BMS, I'm assuming that Siegfried doesn't want to do anything for the immediate moment, but if I'm wrong do correct me.

To my left you can see my attempt at OotS-ifying Marperic. Freakishly small hands were not intended.

Thragka
2012-08-24, 10:36 AM
Bad news I'm afraid - my laptop seems to have gone completely kaput and I won't be able to get it examined by someone who knows what they're doing until at least Monday. I have a smartphone but that's pretty useless for writing long updates on, so we're a bit stuck for now. On the plus side this gives everyone plenty of time to decide what to do next and have some intra-party conversations. If you don't have any other plans, I will consider a post of wandering going to the inn to be a vote for time-skipping to later.

BlueMagnusStorm
2012-08-26, 10:17 PM
BMS, I'm assuming that Siegfried doesn't want to do anything for the immediate moment, but if I'm wrong do correct me.
.

You would be correct he doesn't.

Thragka
2012-08-28, 12:12 PM
Hey guys, still having pretty bad computer issues viz. my laptop doesn't actually work at all. I do still have limited internet access. I think we're just waiting on Hemnon if Valerie wants to say something in character - Zelt, Micha, you guys seem fine with being silent so I'll move things on after a Valerie post.

ZeltArruin
2012-08-28, 01:05 PM
I'm good to move on. Heinrich doesn't have much to add, at the moment.

Hemnon
2012-08-28, 01:57 PM
I don't really have anything to add either.:smallsmile:

Thragka
2012-09-01, 05:55 AM
Well, it's unusual for me to have to call two days with no replies in narrative time - I think this is only about the second time it's happened? So, who's about? It's not that I'm in any rush, as I'm still having computer issues, but I'm just wondering if everyone is just busy - which does tend to happen this time of year, understandably - or if there's something I ought to do to help the pacing. I don't want to rush through a scene without givin you a chance to interact and develop it, and even if your characters don't take a huge action, seeing how they respond will help me know how to write small reactions in my own posts.

Micha, don't worry if you're still having work issues, I just want to touch base with everyone.

-Sentinel-
2012-09-01, 10:01 AM
I am kind of busy, but frankly, that's just an excuse. I realize I created a character that doesn't inspire me. I also think I'll need to take a long break from WFRP after this game (LCP's excellent games excluded, of course), because I've been playing it too much.

I'll try to post something today.

Thragka
2012-09-01, 02:37 PM
I am kind of busy, but frankly, that's just an excuse. I realize I created a character that doesn't inspire me.

I can sympathise with that. If it helps, I think some of the pre-planned plot will lead to character development for several players. And (to everyone) you shouldn't be afraid to strike out with your PCs and have them follow their own interests - it's definitely not your job to wait for me to tell my own story. I figure I can improvise pretty well if things go wildly away from my original plans. :smallamused:


I also think I'll need to take a long break from WFRP after this game (LCP's excellent games excluded, of course), because I've been playing it too much.

I'll try to post something today.

I also understand this; it's very easy to get saturated and fatigued with a particular system. Glad you're sticking with us for this one.