PDA

View Full Version : Locked Gauntlets to hold a person?

Acrinos
2012-06-04, 01:30 PM
I am making a character based on the Goad feat that forces an opponent to attack you unless they succeed a will save. I was thinking that you could grab a person wile wearing a pair of locked gauntlets and then spend the next full round locking them in; using a high concentration in order remain uninterrupted. Afterwards goad another person in and having 2 people fight me, with my high AC while my team kills the rest

Do you think this would even be a legitimate way to use locked gauntlets and if so how do you think it should be done?

Flickerdart
2012-06-04, 01:47 PM
Ever try to put a set of gloves on someone while they're chopping your head off? No amount of Concentration is going to force them to stand there with their hands outstretched for your benefit.

awa
2012-06-04, 01:53 PM
im not even certain how that could possible work even if they were willing. locked gauntlets are only useful in preventing disarms. using manacles would be infinitly easier and theirs is even a prestige class to that effect.

edit are you saying you want to grab a person and lock them in as if they were a weapon? you would first take a -20 penalty (i think thats right) to your grapple check for grappling with only one hand, and you would need to pin your opponete and becuase pin only last 1 rnd you would not also be able to lock them in (full rnd action) unless you had multiple actions a turn.

And even then it only give you a bonus vrs being disarmed it would be completly up to the dm as to what happens next. (I would penalise you for being grappled and entangled bare minimum+ prevent you from using that limb)

all in all it sounds vastly more complicated and less effective than just hitting them

Bahamut Omega
2012-06-04, 02:00 PM
I think the OP's intent was that he wear the locked gauntlet and grab someone then lock the gauntlet to make them escaping nigh impossible. By the RAW, no, this can't be done. Locked gauntlets give a substantial bonus to avoid being disarmed and requires a full round action to equip or unequip a weapon in the gauntlet provoking an attack of opportunity.

I think allowing this just cheeses the intent of the rules and shouldn't be allowed. If I were the DM, I'd say the gauntlet doesn't close enough (or too much) for you to effectively grab someone with them.

ericgrau
2012-06-04, 02:10 PM
I think you'd want something like handcuffs, grapple checks and house rules. But even with handcuffs designed for such a thing I think it would usually take too long to be an effective strategy in a life-or-death battle. You would have to grapple the foe one round (or fail your check) then apply the restraining device (or fail your check) the second round.

Telonius
2012-06-04, 03:19 PM
The Justiciar PrC in Complete Warrior has some mechanics for this sort of a character. It's ... complicated, and involves Pinning an opponent.

awa
2012-06-04, 03:55 PM
although it uses mancales not locking gauntlets if im correct. also dosent it just hog tie them rather than tie you together?

Razgriez
2012-06-04, 04:43 PM
I'd say no to this: The description implies that the chains and straps of the device are sized pretty much only for weapons' hilts and shafts that are designed to be held by a similarly sized wearer. (actually I have my own DM rule, that at the very least, reduces/negates the effects of the Locked gauntlets, when the user wields undersized/oversize weapons)

Secondly, this is a further headache to grapple checks, and there are better solutions for binding a foes hands, at least 3 mundane ideas exist in the PHB.
-Rope (hempen or silk)
-Chains
-Manacles (standard or masterwork)

Galanar
2012-06-04, 05:30 PM
sovereign glue? apply as poison to chain, net, whip , then attack and pin the opponent to let the glue dry?

awa
2012-06-04, 05:36 PM
you would only have one round to make the attack before the glue set and even then losing a bit of skin as you pull free isn't the end of the world at least not compared to getting hit by an ax

Ravens_cry
2012-06-04, 06:30 PM
you would only have one round to make the attack before the glue set and even then losing a bit of skin as you pull free isn't the end of the world at least not compared to getting hit by an ax
Apply it to their armour, and pin. Much harder to break free I would think

Occasional Sage
2012-06-04, 07:56 PM

I read this originally as "getting hit by an ox" and was really wondering what goes on in your games.

Now that I read it correctly, the world is just a tiny bit duller.

Voidling
2012-06-05, 03:07 PM
their is also Bloodhound for the Complete Adventurer but that has more tracking. The Justiciar class which is mention above as the feats and abilities you seem to want.

The Justiciar:

at level 2
Improved grapple at level 2

at level 3
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Manacles): Intimately familiar with the capture of criminals, justiciars have learned to do more with a pair of manacles than restrain a lawbreaker. A justiciar of 3rd level or higher can swing a pair of metal manacles in one hand as if they were a club without taking a penalty for using an improvised weapon. Masterwork manacles can be wielded as if they were a masterwork light flail.

at level 5
Hog-Tie (Ex): When a justiciar of 5th level or higher successfully pins an opponent while grappling, he can attempt to hog-tie the opponent in addition to his other options.

then at level 8
Improved Hog-tie (Ex): A justiciar of 8th level or higher can make a hog-tie attempt without first pinning his opponent.Whenever a grapple is established, the justiciar can use an attack action to make a hog-tie attempt. Also, if the justiciar has the Quick Draw feat, he does not need to be holding the rope, chain, or manacles in his hand before making the attempt.