PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Counting as a halfling

Quirp
2012-06-04, 02:32 PM
Is there any way (ideally for a faun from Deities & Demigods) for a member of another race to count as a halfling to meet the entry requirements of a prestige class (specifically this one:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

Asking the DM is not a possibility, since this is a theoretical build not meant to be used in play any time soon.

Thanks.

Telonius
2012-06-04, 02:53 PM
Broken link is broken. What's the name of the PrC?

Quirp
2012-06-04, 02:55 PM
Halfling Whistler

Telonius
2012-06-04, 03:13 PM
Polymorph Any Object would be the only thing I can think of. Same kingdom (animal) +5, same class (mammals) +2, same or lower intelligence (going by the statblocks) +2, so you just barely get the 9 duration needed for the Fey-to-Humanoid (Halfling) type change to be permanent.

There may be some complications if the effect is ever dispelled. The DM will need to rule what happens then, since (I'm pretty sure) the "losing prerequisites" rule was never fully explained, as it applies to Prestige Classes. (Do you keep BAB/saves/skills/HP/Class Features/all of the above/none of the above?)

Unusual Muse
2012-06-04, 04:48 PM
I would suggest talking to your DM about it; if you can come up with backstory that would justify it, perhaps your DM would allow it for a non-Halfling. For example, if your character was raised among halflings and had strong ties to their community, and worshipped Yondalla, it could make sense for the character to be entrusted with the training and secrets of the prestige class. Remember the "R" and "P" in RPG! :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2012-06-04, 04:52 PM
Changeling has a feat that lets you.

Dwarf, Goliath and Gnome have stoneblessed, but I know of no Halfling equivalent.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-04, 05:08 PM

Dwarf, Goliath and Gnome have stoneblessed, but I know of no Halfling equivalent.

This. Racial Emulation is the easiest (both crunch and fluff-wise) way to do this.

Arcanist
2012-06-04, 05:25 PM
I would suggest talking to your DM about it; if you can come up with backstory that would justify it, perhaps your DM would allow it for a non-Halfling. For example, if your character was raised among halflings and had strong ties to their community, and worshipped Yondalla, it could make sense for the character to be entrusted with the training and secrets of the prestige class. Remember the "R" and "P" in RPG! :smallsmile:

This. :smallsmile: but to be fair with RP'ing racial pre-requisites don't mean anything :smallwink: Racial Emanation for changling is pretty kick ass way to get around racial prerequisites

Kogak
2012-06-04, 05:47 PM
Asking the DM is not a possibility, since this is a theoretical build not meant to be used in play any time soon.

Emphasis mine. I know it appears an answer has already been found to this question, but I noticed that two of the five responses were 'ask the DM' despite the OP clearly stating this was not an option. Please, read the posts. There is no DM to be asked.

Arcanist
2012-06-04, 05:49 PM
Emphasis mine. I know it appears an answer has already been found to this question, but I noticed that two of the five responses were 'ask the DM' despite the OP clearly stating this was not an option. Please, read the posts. There is no DM to be asked.

SO CHANGELING IT IS :smallbiggrin:

Amphetryon
2012-06-04, 06:53 PM
There's also a Prestige Class in Dragon Magazine Compendium (Shaper of Form) that gets an ability that would let you qualify as a Halfling with a 1-level dip.

Asheram
2012-06-04, 06:57 PM
This. Racial Emulation is the easiest (both crunch and fluff-wise) way to do this.

I'd suggest this as well, but might be tricky to get past a DM with this since it's just a temporary form.

Little Brother
2012-06-04, 06:58 PM
This is a valid use of the Rituals in Savage Species, I believe.

Ritual of Association, congrats, you're a halfling.

Quirp
2012-06-05, 08:42 AM
There's also a Prestige Class in Dragon Magazine Compendium (Shaper of Form) that gets an ability that would let you qualify as a Halfling with a 1-level dip.

This is a great idea, but I don't know how the class feature should work. Does it transform you into a halfling (in that case I could just play a halfling) or does it work like Stoneblessed?

This is a valid use of the Rituals in Savage Species, I believe.

Ritual of Association, congrats, you're a halfling.

Sadly the Ritual of Association cannot grant you the halfling/human/elf/... type. When it could, this would be the way to go.

Changeling works. No Faun for me :smallfrown:

Little Brother
2012-06-05, 09:39 AM
Sadly the Ritual of Association cannot grant you the halfling/human/elf/... type. When it could, this would be the way to go.Fine. Be a halfling, then use one of the other Rituals to become something decent.

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 09:55 AM
This is a great idea, but I don't know how the class feature should work. Does it transform you into a halfling (in that case I could just play a halfling) or does it work like Stoneblessed?My reading of it says it should work like Changeling with Racial Emulation.

Quirp
2012-06-05, 10:07 AM
Fine. Be a halfling, then use one of the other Rituals to become something decent.

7000 gp and 1000 xp for a new race
The only remaining question is: Do I keep my type and subtype (humanoid[halfling])?

My reading of it says it should work like Changeling with Racial Emulation.

It's official, Shaper of Forms is the new Stoneblessed (even having a casting progression at first level)!

Thanks a lot, all of you.

Altair_the_Vexed
2012-06-05, 10:19 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about how halflings count in base twenty instead of base ten, 'cause of going barefoot all the time.:smallwink:

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 02:36 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about how halflings count in base twenty instead of base ten, 'cause of going barefoot all the time.:smallwink:

Halflings learned to count in base 12. (I'll be borderline amazed if anyone gets the reference).

Theroc
2012-06-05, 04:38 PM
Halflings learned to count in base 12. (I'll be borderline amazed if anyone gets the reference).

Isn't that how many meals they eat in Hobbiton?

Metahuman1
2012-06-05, 06:58 PM
Make an affiliation using rules in PHBII.

Make the benefits of member ship basically be the stone blessed PrC progression, except geared toward halfing instead of Gnome, Dwarf or Goliath. Done.

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 08:54 PM
Isn't that how many meals they eat in Hobbiton?

Not that I know of, nope.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-06-05, 09:54 PM

I'm thinking something to do with Kender, but I'm not 100% sure here...

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking something to do with Kender, but I'm not 100% sure here...

Nothing to do with anything from Dragonlance.

Siosilvar
2012-06-05, 10:00 PM

"Eleventy-one". How is that a hard reference? Tolkein's practically the definition of classical fantasy.

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 10:09 PM
"Eleventy-one". How is that a hard reference? Tolkein's practically the definition of classical fantasy.

It's not the one I was using, particularly given that "eleventy-one" didn't equal 12 in Bilbo's lexicon.

Siosilvar
2012-06-05, 10:11 PM
It's not the one I was using, particularly given that "eleventy-one" didn't equal 12 in Bilbo's lexicon.

The existence of an "eleventy" implies at least base 12. :smallwink:

Amphetryon
2012-06-05, 10:48 PM
The existence of an "eleventy" implies at least base 12. :smallwink:

I'm not disputing that. I'm saying it wasn't what I referenced.

LikeAD6
2012-06-08, 08:46 PM
When counting days in a tenday, use your pinky instead of your thumb to count the first day and you will be counting like a halfling.