PDA

View Full Version : Lords of Waterdeep

UserClone
2012-06-04, 04:11 PM
So I recently purchased this worker placement game from WotC for 2-5 players, and just popped all the bits out and read the instructions. First impressions:

The quality of all the bits themselves are great. I really like the shapes of the coins, with the little holes punched out of the middle.
The rules are very clear, easily referenced, thorough, and attractively laid out.
The instructions include the full text and image of each and every building tile and lord card, as well as clarifications on how many things interact with one another, such as different buildings, quests, and Intrigue cards.
The box insert fits each and every piece very snugly, and keeps everything very well organized with no need for baggies or anything, though there are many varied pieces. Seriously, the spaces for the cards even have a convex bottom, so that you can easily pop the cards up and grab the whole stack. Awesome!
The Intrigue cards seem great for keeping things interesting and different.
I really, really like that the same person will always be the first player, until someone else assigns an Agent to the space which awards them the 1st Player Token.

EDIT: I played it at my LFGS yesterday afternoon with 3 players, and it was so good, I played it again twice at a friend's house later that night, with 3 and 2 total players, respectively. Lords of Waterdeep now handily makes the top ten games for my tastes.

What are your impressions of this game? Do you own it? Have you played it?

Driderman
2012-06-04, 05:15 PM
Played it once, in my opinion it was middling to good, but not great. It certainly has some good mechanics, but I found the "gather various amounts of 4 different colours, then spend them" gameplay somewhat uninspired.
Also the various secret Lords' abilities didn't really seem very relevant in the end and it's rather easy to guess what others are playing.
The intrigue cards, the quest system and the board mechanics are pretty good though.

UserClone
2012-06-04, 05:36 PM
So by the quest system, you mean...the gathering various amounts of different adventurer types, then sending them off to complete the quest so you get victory points, and sometimes other stuff also/instead?

I definitely agree that the intrigue cards are cool. I got a promo one from my LFGS. It steals stuff from an opponent's stable and gives it to yours, then you give the card to that enemy. Its title is Inevitable Betrayal.

Driderman
2012-06-05, 03:51 PM
So by the quest system, you mean...the gathering various amounts of different adventurer types, then sending them off to complete the quest so you get victory points, and sometimes other stuff also/instead?

I definitely agree that the intrigue cards are cool. I got a promo one from my LFGS. It steals stuff from an opponent's stable and gives it to yours, then you give the card to that enemy. Its title is Inevitable Betrayal.

Well, the gathering of adventurers is pretty uninspired, as I said. I like how the quests themselves are very varied though, with all sorts of different bonuses for completing them.

UserClone
2012-06-05, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I actually like agonizing over which one to pick. Especially when one of the two I want isn't even of a type I get bonus points for, It just has a reward that really would help, like 25 VP, or six fighters for that Warfare quest that needs doing.