PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Any way to apply metamagic without increasing casting time?

Chess435
2012-06-04, 04:25 PM
I've done a fair bit of SRD diving, and I can't seem to find a way to not extend the casting time in order to apply metamagic to Sorcerer casting. I'm asking this because I'd like to apply Nonlethal Spell do all my damage-dealing spells, but would still like my move action.

deuxhero
2012-06-04, 04:53 PM
Arcane bloodline, either as your natural bloodline (or one of them if crossblooded) or Eldritch Heritage (requires 3 requirement feats 1 of which is free for a Half-Elf, the other isn't terrible)

Spontaneous Metafocus can do it for one spell.

Spell Perfection can also do it for 1 spell AND remove the cost increase, but it doesn't come online till 15 level.

Spells with Quicken are still swift regardless of what other metamagic you apply

You can dip 2 levels (or more) in Pathfinder Savant to add Arcane Concordance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-concordance) to your spell list as a 4th level spell and (as you are your own ally) apply enlarge, extend, silent or still for free even without the feat (you could also UMD an item of it, but eh), but that doesn't help for non-lethal.

Mustard
2012-06-04, 05:44 PM
In a case like this, I'd recommend asking the GM to houserule that either A) Merciful Spell does not extend the casting time for spontaneous casters, or B) your sorcerer's spells are reversed: by default, damage is nonlethal, and Merciful Spell works the opposite for your character (and does increase the casting time).

Of course, if this is PFS, this is impossible, but if not, then hopefully you have a GM that's willing to work with you on this. Sometimes, I believe tailoring the game is the best course of action, and this sounds to me like one of those cases.

Edit: I realize asking for a houserule is always an option or a last resort, and it seems not to be particularly helpful for me to suggest it, but it may be a helpful nudge if you're apprehensive about requesting it. And it seems like too important an aspect of your character, to rely on scrounging around for a limited number of conversions per day, or enabling it for certain spells.

QuidEst
2012-06-04, 07:51 PM
The following is not a helpful suggestion.

Well, if you straight-class Barbarian, you can apply Merciful Spell to every spell you cast!

More seriously, though, asking for a houserule that makes your character less powerful is often okay, especially since the rules aren't going to get you very good options here.