PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder in Sharn - Eyre I (IC)

Verte
2012-06-04, 04:28 PM
You are all inside an upper level of a tower in Clifftop, an adventurers district in Upper Dura - a plain, solidly built level of one of the largest, shabbiest quarters of Sharn. Cracks of thunder and lightning can be heard even above the crowds, and the wind can be felt winding through the tower's archways. It is the first day of Eyre, the month associated with the Dragonmark of Making.

Thick stone walls rise up roughly a hundred feet above you. Small round windows at the top let in pinpricks of light, as do square windows that rise to the top of the tower. Stone buildings have been constructed within the tower itself and rise up to the tower's ceiling as well. They contain a few noteworthy establishments - there's a tavern, a locksmith's shop, an armorer, and an outfitter within sight on this level alone. There is also an adventurers' guild headquarters, the Clifftop Adventurers' Guild, in the large central building.

Throngs of people walk on the narrow streets and sidewalks that pass inside. Most are rather ordinary looking, dressed in well-worn tunics dyed a seemingly ubiquitous shade of light blue and wearing broad-brimmed hats that shield their faces from both from the frequent rain and prying eyes. Others stand out more. A young elven woman passing by wears a gold headdress studded with sigils and a great serpent drapes itself protectively over her arms. Twin halfling warriors pass by on their clawfoot mounts, all the while bickering between themselves. Two hobgoblins, one a young man seemingly garbed in blades of all sizes and the other an old man covered in many layers of heavy robes make observations in their own tongue.

A group of four carry a bulky chest, bound in steel, into the Clifftop guild headquarters. Their clothes and armor are crusted with dirt and blood stains. Each also carries a heavy sack upon their backs. One of them, a young woman with sharp features, seems to be wary of the crowd.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-04, 05:17 PM
Ri'Anthal (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=403432), with his long silvery hair cascading over the top of his green robes and cloak can he seen with a book in his hands, casually reading while leaning against the wall. He seems engrossed in his book, but does occassionally look up to see what is happening around him. Those who look close can see that the title of the book indicates that it is a book on the history of the Five Nations. Besides his silvery hair he is quite unremarkable as far as elves go, clearly lacking the natural beauty so often attributed to the elves, instead he settles for what one would call "plain" by elf standards.

OOC: I didn't get from the initial post that there was anything to directly respond too, so people can feel free to come and interupt Ri'Anthal from his readings.

Chained Birds
2012-06-04, 07:42 PM
Law

A warforged by the name of Law (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=403237) stands as a sentinel in front of the Clifftop Adventurers' Guild. His blue-tinted armored body can be seen through his cloak and sash; hardly hidden by the tattered clothing. Riding on his back is a large blade, polished and keen as though it has never been used before, and a rusty-red dagger strung to his side.
Just shy of 5ft 5inches, the warforged has an ingrained stern look (common amongst many warforged) but hardly shows signs of anger or even much of a grimace. Simply a plain blueish face staring off at the passers by with cold blue eyes.

He notices a "plain" elf walking by, holding a book. Law can't make out the title but he figures it has something to do with war or religion; both of which he finds abhorrently uninteresting. While Law was taught to be more accepting of people's individual interests, he couldn't comprehend the enjoyment of reading such silly articles of knowledge unless he/she (Elves, can't really tell) were engaged in study. Still, Law kept to himself.

TherianTheorist
2012-06-04, 11:22 PM
A shifter enters, holy symbol hanging around his neck. His name is Vicneiros Silverfang (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=399347), he's wearing leather armor over travelers clothes, and his waist length hair makes it hard to make out the backpack he's wearing, he looks around for a moment, taking note of the elf, and walks up to the warforged in front of the Adventurers' Guild.

"This is the Adventurers' Guild, right?"
He speaks with a thick Eldeen accent, and for one reason or another, all his teeth seem to be pointed to some degree.

Chained Birds
2012-06-05, 05:14 AM
Law

Law simple halfheartedly points towards the sign above hims labeling the building as "Clifftop Adventurers' Guild." Law also gives the shifter a "Is this guy an idiot?" look.

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-05, 08:25 AM
A man in a brown cloak rides a tall golden steed through one of the many large arched entrances to the tower from the pouring rain. Strapped across his back is a falchion in a heavy leather scabbard, and besides the saddle and a pair of simple saddle bags, there is also a sheath containing a shortbow and a quiver of arrows hanging from about the horse's neck. Stopping just inside, the horse shakes the rain from his head and tail, and the man pulls the hood from his face revealing sharp elven features disturbed by three large scars running diagonally across his face, and dark brown hair hanging loosely just below his ears. Xael Vaelin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=404199)'s deep green eyes glance about the crowd and his stern face gives the scene a serious, contemplative look. He gives the horse a small kick and it starts down the street toward the center of the tower. He gives the two mounted halflings a cautious, wide berth as they pass, and reigns up infront of the large central building. Looking up at the sign above the Warforged he moves his gaze to the other elf quickly, noting the title of the book before dismounting and hobbling the horse just outside the door. He heads for the door still shaking the rain from his well worn cloak, and as he does so, revealing the thin scimitar slung from his belt beside an ornate mapcase. Giving one last glance back at the other elf and the tome he is pondering he pushes through the door...

Madcrafter
2012-06-05, 10:04 AM
Quuelen follows a man on a horse into the tower, and stops to gawk for a moment. Buildings inside buildings; what will they come up with next? Walking around the horse and rider, he is almost trampled by two dinosaurs, and stands stunned for a moment before his discipline kicks back in. Continuing down the street, he spots another of those machine people standing in front of a building, and his curiosity gets the better of him.

He approaches the metal and wood statue person. "What are you?" His eyes glint with a vaguely unsettling light, and he mispronounces his words badly enough that it is difficult to understand what he is saying. It sounds like he learned to speak from a book, or deaf person.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-05, 10:34 AM
Ri'Anthal smirks as he overhears, amused at the question. Where must he hail from to not know a warforged when he sees one? Loosing his focus on his reading, he decides it's time to put the book away and he on with his tasks. As he closes the book he will walk into the adventurers guild.

Chained Birds
2012-06-05, 10:54 AM
Law

"I am patient."

The reason why Law has remained in front of the guild this whole time was because of orders given to him by one of the higher ranking members of his cult. Law was told to gain attachments to the adventurer guild in Sharn and make contacts with some of its members. But due to Law's uninterested nature, a member, by the name of Claira Lightheart, was sent to get Law into the guild and fill out his information. Though she is known to torment Law by having him perform boring tasks like waiting outside for her to finish and is most likely just stalling with idle chit-chat; much to Law's dismay.

OOC: Sorry DM for adding this NPC, but it was one of the only reasons I could think of for why Law would even be there at this stage in the story.

Madcrafter
2012-06-05, 11:49 AM
"Patient, patient..." Quuelen rolls the word around for a moment before his face brightens with a smile at the humour in the situation. The construct guardsman (what he assumes Law to be) is not providing any more information though, so Quuelen walks cautiously around him and enters the building.

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-05, 11:55 AM
Alestair Maerer, Paladin of the Silver Flame

Alestair walks the street, doing his to appear as though he wasn't staring at everything around him, at which he is failing magnificently. Of course, he isn't the only one. There is a lot to look at in any given Adventurer's quarter, and people tend to feed their curiosity.

Alestair isn't spectacularly intimidating, coming in at five foot nine, most of which was obscured by a large leather cloak. His only visible weapons are a long, curved knife at one hip and a pair of throwing knives on the other. Around his neck, he wears an arrowhead inscribed with the image of the Silver Flame. Physically, he is rather nondescript, the sort of person the eyes just slide right over.

His eyes alight on the Clifftop Adventurer's Guild Sign, and he grins. All this time, I thought the Flame was testing my patience. How many shady tavern corners can there possibly be in this city? Evidently enough to supply far more than a week of work. Alestair walks over to the guild, narrowly missing death by Valenar warhorse.

"Flame take the Valenar," he mutters under his breath.

As he comes close to the guildhouse, Alestair catches a snippet of one of the strangest conversations he has heard in some time.

"What are you?" A man, apparently lost, asks a warforged, as though he had simply missed the past century. Feeling the need to enlighten the poor man, as his old abbot would have put it, Alestair made his way over to try and answer the man's question. Of course, if the man was looking for adventure, he'd be more than happy to tag along.

"My friend, there are many in the world who would wish to be in your position. May I ask where you're from?" Alestair says, smiling.

Madcrafter
2012-06-05, 01:15 PM
Quuelen turns around on the threshold of the building at the sound of the cloaked man's voice. "What position? And I have come from Adar. You have heard of it?"

OOC:
Realized I didn't do much of a description before.
As he turns around, the paladin gets a better look at the foreigner. He looks relatively normal, black hair, ordinary build, probably six feet even. His clothing is simple and well made, though it looks to have suffered some abuse lately, with a few unmended tears and plenty of dirt. There's also a lot more than is probably needed in Sharn's climate, its a little surprising not to see any sweat on the man's forehead. He has a knife at his belt and a crossbow on his back, but is otherwise unarmed. some light chain can be seen poking through the layers of clothing, but otherwise he carries nothing else. His grey eyes glint with an understanding of his surroundings that belie his difficulty speaking, though they also have a slightly unnerving quality about them.

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-05, 01:23 PM
"Adar? Across the Barren Sea? Oh, I see. I mean the position of not knowing about the warforged. After the Last War, amy people see the 'forged as unpleasant reminders of a time they try to put behind them." Alestair says, before realizing that 'forged are considered people rather than property of the state in Breland. "No offense," he says with a nod to the intimidating 'forged.

Alestair holds out a hand. "Alestair Maerer. Nice to make your acquaintance." He probably wouldn't know about the whole cheese thing, what with the whole not-from-this-continent thing. And this man had the look of an adventurer about him. Gainful employment, here I come.

Alestair does, notably, avoid looking at the other man's eyes for too long. Dolurrh, they were creepy.

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-05, 01:46 PM
As Xael tied off his horses reigns he glanced over and saw the man in the leather cloak he had nearly rode down, "what sort of fool can not clearly hear a rider on these stone streets?, he wondered to himself.

Turning back to his horse, "my friend, I am sorry, I know you hate this place. Soon I will take you outside the city gates, so that you may feel real earth beneath your feet again." He reached back into one of the saddlebags, producing a large apple. He took a single bite and held it out to the horse, who ate it with a large chomp. Xael ran his fingers through the horses' mane with a smile, and then turned to head inside.

As he approaches the door, he overhears the conversation. And here I was thinking I was the stranger in a strange land. He pushes past the two men and gives a cursory glance and nod to the warforged as he enters the building

OOC:
Sorry about the retcon, just saw an opportunity for some characterization. PS - edited my previous post with more character description, since I failed at that before.

Chained Birds
2012-06-05, 01:49 PM
Law

As the rider moves on,

"I can tell you from experience that being a Warforged is neither pleasant or painful. The past is a place we can never go back to, so the present is where we must work in in order to create a less deplorable future.

But those are just some of the words I've heard. Don't quote me on it."

The warforged didn't change his expression or even turn towards the two in discussion.

TherianTheorist
2012-06-05, 08:33 PM
The shifter watches as the others fail their attempts at conversation with the warforged, it's glare not lost on him.

Turning away from the warforged, and towards the others that had shown up, Vicneiros trys to start a conversation with someone who will actually speak to him.
"He's just not the talkative type, is he?, what about you?"

OOC:
I dont think Vicneiros and Law are going to get along well.

Verte
2012-06-06, 12:41 AM
Ri'Anthal and Xael

You both enter a large chamber that seems to serve as a sort of lobby. A man sits behind a desk to the right. Behind the desk are half-a-dozen maps pinned to the wall. He seems to be a sort of scribe, but his clothes are well-worn and stained and he bears a long, reddish-brown scar that is visible through his blond goatee. He is currently engrossed in a quiet conversation with a tall woman, garbed in fine clothes in many shades of grey. Her expression is placid, almost cheerful; his is clearly tense. To your left are about a dozen mismatched chairs and benches circled together; all are of fine quality, yet well-worn. Half of them are taken. Three people are sitting silently, whereas three others are chatting and holding mugs or bottles. The group with the chest is carrying it up the stairs at the back of the room. A young man and a young woman each seem to be keeping watch from either side of the stairwell. Both are clad in heavy mail; the woman carries a sword and a shield, the man a large, barbed mace.

OOC:
kind of a ROBOT, I don't mind the retcon at all right now. Same goes with the additional description, Madcrafter.

Chained Birds, it's fine with me for you to add a minor contact at this point.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 06:55 AM
Ri'Anthal takes stock of the people and decor in the room.

(Is he suppose to sign in with the scribe?)
If so he waits for the man to finish with the tall woman and then gives the scribe whatever information is needed.

Ri'Anthal will then go and order himself a drink and find himself a seat. He'll attempt to sit near someone he thinks is intelligent so that if he has a conversation it will interesting. For the first few minutes he'll casually drink his drink while discreetly listening to others conversations.

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-06, 09:03 AM
"I think I count as talkative," Alestair says, "Alestair Maerer. I don't think I got a name from you,"

OOC:

Out of curiosity, do we have and OOC thread?

Madcrafter
2012-06-06, 11:10 AM
"Quuelen. Yes from across the sea." He shakes Alestair's hand tentatively.

At the feral looking human's question, he answers "More talkative than the... warforged here perhaps." Turning back to Alestair, he continues "I think I have heard of this war. It was unpleasant?"

OOC:
Not as far as I know.

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-06, 12:59 PM
Entering the room Xael glance about the four corners, paying attention to each group of people. He stands quietly just behind Ri'Anthal, also waiting for the scribe's conversation to end. His eyes seem to study the maps pinned to the wall with detached interest.

Hearing the conversation at the door. Helets out a chortle to himself, thinking that unpleasant is not the word he would use to describe the Last War, as his eyes run over the borders of the Five Nations.

TherianTheorist
2012-06-06, 05:20 PM
"My name is Vicneiros Silverfang, and as for the war, yes, you could call the war... unpleasant."
Vicneiros is thrown off balance by Quuelen's description of the war, forget the last war, who calls any war "unpleasant"?

OOC:
No OOC that I was told of, but it would be nice to have one.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 05:27 PM
While waiting for the scribe to finish with the woman, and before he goes to get a drink and sit down, Ri'Anthal will notice the person behind him.

Ri'anthal nods to Xael, Tell me friend, do you know if we need to sign in with the man at the desk? This is my first visit to this establishment.

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-06, 08:29 PM
Xael shifts his attention from the maps to Ri'Anthal. I do not know, it is my first time here as well. Tell me, do you know anything about these...guilds? He again glances at the other people in the room, frowning. His hand unconsciously goes to the pommel of the scimitar at his hip.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 08:57 PM
Ri'Anthal shakes his head I have not spent much time in these parts of the city, but I know they are suppose to be great places to find others of similar interests. My interests include some adventures and notoriety. With luck I'll find a group with a job that is in need of an arcanist. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you here?

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-06, 09:08 PM
Alestair's handshake is firm, perhaps forcedly so. "Quuelen? I'll try not to mispronounce it.

"Oh, Vinceros, it was only slightly upleasant. A hundred years of war, the death of a nation and thousands upon thousands of lives ruined? Only very slightly unpleasant," Alestair said, hoping the shifter could catch the sarcastic tone. His tone shifts suddenly to dead seriousness, "But, really, the war went beyond unpleasant. Far beyond."

Alestair fiddles with the pommel of his kukuri in silence for a second, before perking up again.

"So what brings a shifter and an adaran to Sharn? There's probably a story there. Adventure? Wealth? The war?"

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-06, 10:01 PM
For a moment he considers what exactly to tell the other elf, how could he understand the reasons. Then he remembered the book.

I came to Sharn looking for...something. But...the search is harder than I had thought it would be. Tell me, are you a scholar? He indicates the book Ri'Anthal is still holding.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 10:13 PM
I am a scholar of sorts. I have a general interest in matters of history, geography, arcane lore, artifacts, and anything else of interest. Do you have a question that I could help you with?

Verte
2012-06-06, 11:35 PM
After a fairly lengthy conversation, the woman in grey walks down one of the two doors at either side of the room (the other door leads to a mess hall that serves simple food and drinks, as Ri'Anthal already discovered). The scribe seems visibly flustered, then he notices that you're all milling around and waiting for him. He sits up straighter, looks in your general direction and asks "Excuse me, may I help you?". His accent is noticably Thranish.

OOC:
I started the OOC thread over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13356788#post13356788). Sorry about the delay.

Madcrafter
2012-06-07, 12:35 AM
"Ah, perhaps I will not bring up the subject with people then. I am here to find Reidrans. There don't seem to be any though, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. In the meantime, I am exploring. This city is full of strange things which I have never seen before."

He looks up at the sign over the door. "Clifftop Adventurers Guild. What is this place?"

XianTheCoder
2012-06-07, 08:06 AM
Hello Sir, this is my first time at this establishment, but heard it was a fantastic place for those of us looking for some excitement. Can you tell me what the general process is to effectively utilizing all that this establishment has to offer?

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-07, 10:01 AM
Xael considers for a moment. He frowns, thinking back to his failed trip to Morgrave and all the other scholars he had spoken to since arriving in this accursed city. I doubt it...

He looks over at the scribe and regards him coldly as Ri'Anthal asks about the services .

Chained Birds
2012-06-07, 11:04 AM
Law

Law continues to wait outside. His boredom seems to emanate from him making everything around him seem mundane and uninteresting.

TherianTheorist
2012-06-08, 09:09 PM
"I guess I would fall under the "Adventure" category I came her to see what this city was like, I think the guild will give me a good reason to spend some time here."
Vicneiros motions to the building.
"Should we go inside?"

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-08, 09:59 PM
"This place? Adventurer's guild. Association for the fastest and most dangerous way to get rich and famous in all Khorvaire. Better known as adventuring. Probably a good way to find your riedrans. People from all walks of life end up here." Alestair shrugs.

"Oh, we should certainly go inside." He grins toothily. "Quuelen?"

Verte
2012-06-08, 11:50 PM
The scribe looks up at Ri'Anthal "Well, you would probably want to join the guild. You need the approval of five members who have been part of the guild for at least three months. That means you should probably start getting to know people here - some will offer their approval just because they like you, while others might need a favor." He then cracks his knuckles and continues "You can travel freely through the messhall on the first floor and the library on the second floor. For other rooms you need a member to accompany you. Oh, and sign here so that we can keep track of visitors in the building" He slides a large ledger across the desk, along with a pen, and glances at both Ri'Anthal and Xael. "By the way, you can call me Taran - do you have any more questions?"

Law, you continue to wait. An old applecore falls off a cart and rolls down the street, landing in front of you. Several fat horseflies land on it, claiming their prize in unison. Then, the doors behind you finally open and a short, sunburned man in leather armor plants himself in front of you and stares in the direction of your knees while speaking in a raspy voice "Um...hello. Claira Lightborn is ready to see you. Please follow me inside."

Madcrafter
2012-06-09, 01:03 AM
"In that case, it sounds like the place I've been trying to find." He continues on his way through the door and enters the guild, giving a final curious glance at the warforged who continues to stand outside.

Chained Birds
2012-06-09, 01:54 AM
Law

Law follows the small man's instructions and follows along into the facility to meet up with Miss Lightborn. He slightly grimaces at the sight of flies, before entering the building. Law has never been much of a fan of insects.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-09, 02:08 PM
Ri'Anthal will introduce himself to the scribe and then sign the book. He thanks the scribe for his assistence and shakes his head when asked if he had any further questions. After signing he will glance over his shoulder at Xael, Looks like we have our work cut out for us, friend.

Ri'Anthal will wait for Xael to finish signing and asking any questions and then before walking further in, he will make a proposal to Xael, If you have interest in joining as well, perhaps we could combine our efforts. We need 5 members, it would go a lot quicker if we combined our efforts and tried to consolidate those that would be interested in sponsoring us. Also, if we need to perform favors having two people performing them would quicken the process. What do you think?

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-10, 07:44 AM
While the scribe is explaining how the guild works, Xael glances about the guild hall, taking measure of those who might already be members. He wonders how many might be a match for even the youngest Valenar.

He quickly signs in after Ri'Anthal, giving the scribe another cold glances and he turns away without a word.

Giving a slow nod to Ri'Anthal's question as he continues to scan the room, he answers, "I could think of easier ways to prove myself." His fingers toying with the pommel of the scimitar at his side, "but, you are not wrong. Where do you suggest we start with this rabble? He nods to the small crowd in the chairs opposite the scribe's desk.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 10:41 AM
You start on the right side of the room, I'll start on the left. Talk to everyone, find out if they are members. The ones that are asking them their thoughts of the guild, maybe chat for a few minutes and then ask them if there's any way they would consider sponsoring you and your friend. Ill do the same, when we meet in the middle we'll compare notes.

In case anyone asks, I'm RiAnthal, I underwent arcane training here in the city and I have scholarly knowledge of most topics.

kind_of_a_ROBOT
2012-06-10, 11:52 AM
He nods, glancing over his shoulder at his side of the room. And you may tell them that I am Xael Vaelin, warrior of the Valaes Tairn." And with that he heads to the group of people on the right.

He clears his throat, "pardon me, I am Xael Vaelin, of the Valaes Tairn, and my associate there is Ri'Anthal, scholar and student of the arcane arts. We have come seeking admittance to the guild. What say you?

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 07:14 PM
Ri'Anthal walks along the left side of the room approaching the nearest person/group that he sees. Hello, my name is Ri'Anthal and I was inquiring about the guild and potential sponsorship for myself and my companion. He will indicate Xael.

TherianTheorist
2012-06-12, 09:28 PM
Vicneiros enters the building, looking around for a second before walking to the desk.
"Excuse me, I'd like to join your guild."

Kiranvonstrom
2012-06-13, 05:39 AM
Alestair follows Vinceros in, smiling broadly.

"We, you mean." Alestair corrects. "How might we join?"

OOC:
Now I´m glad Alestair is charisma on a stick...

TherianTheorist
2012-06-20, 06:53 PM
"Ah, yes sorry. We." Vicneiros corrected himself.