PDA

View Full Version : [PF] We're gonna need a bigger boat...

grarrrg
2012-06-04, 07:00 PM
EDIT: Disclaimer: The following build no longer does what it was supposed to do. There was a FAQ that basically said "You get one 'whole body' effective size increase, and one 'specific part' effective size increase". While parts of the following can still be mixed and matched, the whole is no longer valid.

Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner), level 13+ w/Huge Eidolon through Evolution points.

Improved Natural Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/improved-natural-attack) Feat treats the Eidolon as one size bigger for Natural Attack damage.
Eidolon Huge, Attacks Gargantuan

Improved Damage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons) Evolution increases the damage dice of an attack by one step.
Eidolon Huge, Attacks Gargantuan +dice

Cast Enlarge Person (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person) on Eidolon.
Eidolon Gargantuan, Attacks Colossal +dice

UMD a wand of Strong Jaw (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/strong-jaw) cast on Eidolon, treats Eidolon as two sizes bigger for Natural Attack damage (if Eidolon would be 'bigger than colossal', double damage instead)
Eidolon Gargantuan, Attacks Colossalx2 +dice

Choosing "Slam" as our main Eidolon Attack.
Medium size damage is 1d8 per attack.
Going by the upgrade listing in the Improved Natural Attack feat
1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.
we have 4 Size increases, followed by a doubling, followed by bumping the dice up a notch (BAM!).
12d8 damage per attack.

On the other hand... we can combine the increases in the order of our choice, so if we do Strong Jaw first, that would be 6 Size increases, followed by a bumping of the Die...
12d8 damage per attack. Hmm... same damage...

What about 3 size increases, Strong Jaw, the last size increase, and bump dice?
12d8...
Well that settles that. Our Slams do 12d8 damage. EACH.

Did I miss anything?

Larpus
2012-06-04, 08:35 PM
Holy mackerel...I can already imagine everyone's disapproving glares would this ever actually come into play.

Well...add Energy Attacks for an extra 1d6...?

jaybird
2012-06-04, 08:52 PM
Just saying, you'd technically get more damage out of Claw attacks with that :smalltongue: still...12d8 per swing is...a lot of pain. 54 points of pain, to be precise, without considering Str bonus or Power Attack...:smalleek:

doko239
2012-06-04, 09:07 PM
Let's just take this to its inevitable conclusion, shall we?

L13 Half-Elf Summoner's Eidolon has 20 evolution points and maximum of 5 attacks per round.

Take Quadruped base form with the following evolutions:

Huge - 10 pts
Limbs (Arms) x2 - 4 pts
Slam x2 - 2 pts
Improved Bite - 1 pt
Improved Damage (Slam) - 1 pt
Improved Damage (Bite) - 1 pt
Pounce - 1 pt

Total - 20 pts

Stats:

Str 36, Dex 15, Con 22, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11

AC 25 (Touch 12, Flat-Footed 23)

Fort +13, Ref +9, Will +5 (+9 vs Enchantment)

Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (Slam), Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Multiattack

Special Qualities: Darkvision, Link, Share Spells, Evasion, Devotion, Multiattack, Pounce

Attacks: 2x Slam +21 (12d10 + 26) plus Bite +21 (12d8 + 39) OR
2x Power Attack Slam + 18 (12d10 + 32) plus Bite +18 (12d8 + 48)

Edit: messed the math on bite. Edit again: Changed slams as it was pointed out you only get one slam per two arms. Also die calc was wrong.

Just saying, you'd technically get more damage out of Claw attacks with that :smalltongue: still...12d8 per swing is...a lot of pain. 54 points of pain, to be precise, without considering Str bonus or Power Attack...:smalleek:

Actually, base damage on Slam is 1 die step higher than on Claws, that's why it ends up at 12d8 instead of 8d8.

Edit again: Actually, looking at it, I think grarrrg messed up:

Base damage on a Slam attack for a Huge eidolon is 2d8. Up one size category from Improved natural attack is 3d8. Up again from Enlarge Person is 4d8. Up again from Strong Jaw makes it 6d8 x2 = 12d8. Increase the die size from Improved Damage evolution = 12d10 per slam attack. :smalleek:

Rentaromon
2012-06-04, 09:17 PM
Eidolon's are a tad OP.

jaybird
2012-06-04, 09:19 PM
Actually, base damage on Slam is 1 die step higher than on Claws, that's why it ends up at 12d8 instead of 8d8.

Yeah, but you get 2 Claws for every Slam, and you can Rake as well. Still, the Slams are good enough to get books thrown at you :smalleek:

doko239
2012-06-04, 09:21 PM
Yeah, but you get 2 Claws for every Slam, and you can Rake as well. Still, the Slams are good enough to get books thrown at you :smalleek:

Huh, never noticed that actually; always assumed it was 1 slam per arm. In that case, yeah, claws are the way to go. Cheaper too in terms of evolution points spent.

grarrrg
2012-06-04, 10:03 PM

Slam was picked for 2 reasons.
A: They have the best damage per attack of all the Eidolon attacks.
B: We still have to worry about the Max Natural Attack cap.

Using doko239's stats as a base, by level 20 we can easily have 11 more Evo point to play with (possibly up to 5 more than that if we spend feats on the Extra Evolution feat).
We shall assume we took the feat once for a total of 12 more Evo points.
12 Points means up to 4 more Slams, bringing us up to the Max Attack Cap of 7 (6 Slams, 1 Bite).
Add another Extra Evolution Feat and we can take Bite again to get 1-1/2 STR to damage.

Claws top out at (if I did the math correctly this time...), 6d8 each.
So yes, Claws are faster/cheaper, but if we are going for sheer damage (which we are, by the way...), they fall far short.

Edit again: Actually, looking at it, I think grarrrg messed up:...
12d10 per slam attack. :smalleek:

Yes.

Eidolon's are a tad OP.
If built to be OP yes.
If built for "flavor" then they can wind up Average, or even weak (Spellcasting Eidolon anyone?).

jaybird
2012-06-04, 10:29 PM
Slam was picked for 2 reasons.
A: They have the best damage per attack of all the Eidolon attacks.
B: We still have to worry about the Max Natural Attack cap.

Using doko239's stats as a base, by level 20 we can easily have 11 more Evo point to play with (possibly up to 5 more than that if we spend feats on the Extra Evolution feat).
We shall assume we took the feat once for a total of 12 more Evo points.
12 Points means up to 4 more Slams, bringing us up to the Max Attack Cap of 7 (6 Slams, 1 Bite).
Add another Extra Evolution Feat and we can take Bite again to get 1-1/2 STR to damage.

Claws top out at (if I did the math correctly this time...), 6d8 each.
So yes, Claws are faster/cheaper, but if we are going for sheer damage (which we are, by the way...), they fall far short.

On the other hand, Rake, if you take it to apply each time an Eidolon scores 2 Claw hits, adds significantly to damage. However, the math for that becomes more complicated, particularly if Power Attack starts being factored in.

No argument whatsoever on Slams coming out on top for damage per attack, though.

Feralventas
2012-06-05, 12:35 AM
Eidalons are Outsiders. Does PF's Enlarge Person work on non-humanoid type creatures?

Benly
2012-06-05, 12:40 AM
Eidalons are Outsiders. Does PF's Enlarge Person work on non-humanoid type creatures?

The eidolon's Share Spells explicitly allows it. "A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list."

Stone Heart
2012-06-05, 12:44 AM

I don't believe it does, but that is irrelevant, the summoner can target the eidolon with spells that normally would not be allowed, and enlarge person is the one that this comes up with that the most. I think it is called share spells.

Edit:Now see thats why I should just post and check my sources later.

doko239
2012-06-05, 05:00 AM

Already factored into my build.

Doorhandle
2012-06-05, 06:29 AM
Base damage on a Slam attack for a Huge eidolon is 2d8. Up one size category from Improved natural attack is 3d8. Up again from Enlarge Person is 4d8. Up again from Strong Jaw makes it 6d8 x2 = 12d8. Increase the die size from Improved Damage evolution = 12d10 per slam attack.

So you're saying my Jotaro Joestar build is a reality? :smalltongue:

Chained Birds
2012-06-05, 09:05 AM
So you're saying my Jotaro Joestar build is a reality? :smalltongue:

I'd rather make a Dio Brando. "Za Warudo!"

grarrrg
2012-06-05, 11:30 AM
And now for the "fun" part...
*maniacal laughter*

We have TWO Summoners.
Both are Synthesists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist).
Both are Ratfolk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/monsters-as-pcs#TOC-Ratfolk).

A Synthesist:

While fused with his eidolon, the synthesist can use all of his own abilities and gear...

Ratfolk have a racial ability called Swarming:

Up to two ratfolk can share the same square at the same time. If two ratfolk in the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares.

:smallbiggrin:

doko239
2012-06-05, 11:40 AM
...Ratfolk have a racial ability called Swarming...

Not really worth it, as you'd lose the extra evolution points from being a Half-Elf. It's essentially paying 5 evolution points to be able to share space with another summoner; you could get another slam attack for cheaper :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2012-06-05, 04:45 PM
Give it improved Unarmed Strike, then Beast Strike if it uses claws. You'll deal the over-Colossal Unarmed Damage then the over-Colossal Claw Damage with each hit.

WebAngel
2012-12-10, 09:05 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Improved Natural Attack Feat and the Improved Damage Evolution have to be taken for every attack.
For a level 13 summoner/level 10 eidolon, it means 5 dedicated feats for 5 natural attacks (bite/slam/slam/slam/slam) ... it's getting really expensive don't you think so?

grarrrg
2012-12-10, 11:08 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Improved Natural Attack Feat and the Improved Damage Evolution have to be taken for every attack.
For a level 13 summoner/level 10 eidolon, it means 5 dedicated feats for 5 natural attacks (bite/slam/slam/slam/slam) ... it's getting really expensive don't you think so?

Well, Thread Necromancy aside...
The wordings are,
Improved Damage Evolution:
"...Select one natural attack form and increase..."
Improved Natural Attack:
"Choose one of the creature's natural attack forms (not an unarmed strike). The damage for this natural attack increases..."

Since it puts the word "form" in there, it implies type of attack.
So 1 Feat/Evolution should cover all of the Slams.

No one really cares about the Bite though. It is only there cause we can't remove it.
So even going by the unfavorable interpretation, we'd only need 4 Feats for bite/slamx4 :smalltongue:

WebAngel
2012-12-11, 06:47 PM
Improved Natural Attack (Monster)

Attacks made by one of this creature's natural attacks leave vicious wounds.

Prerequisite: Natural weapon, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit: Choose one of the creature's natural attack forms (not an unarmed strike). The damage for this natural attack increases by one step on the following list, as if the creature's size had increased by one category. Damage dice increase as follows: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

Special: This feat can be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, it applies to a different natural attack.

The wording here can be misleading but the rest of the description is not. When you pick the feat you have to select a form of attack but it only applies to one attack of that specific form of attack.

It means 4 feats out of 5 available for a level 10 eidolon. It is still a valid option but quite costly.

grarrrg
2012-12-11, 07:20 PM
The wording here can be misleading but the rest of the description is not.

Technically, the WHOLE description is misleading.
If you try to read through everything regarding Natural Attacks and/or Eidolons, you come to the conclusion pretty quickly that NONE OF IT is written clearly.

I am merely going by the more "build favorable" interpretation.

And even then, just getting _one_ attack, at level 13, that does 12d10 damage (PLUS whatever ungodly STR score you may have) is enough to get a book thrown at you.

SystemOverload
2014-07-03, 09:11 AM
Hoping you can help me settle a discussion I'm having with a fellow player who's more experienced than I am.

His argument is that you can not cast Enlarge Person on an Eidelon that has the Large/ Huge Evolution as these effects do not stack.

I tried to point out that Evolutions aren't magical effects or spells and that it is the nature of the Eidelon, leaving it subject to spells such as Enlarge person when cast by the Synthesist for the Share Spell ability.

However, I can't find anything to prove my case and he keeps pointing to the Spell/ effect stacking where it states that effects of the same nature do not stack together regardless of where they came from.

Anyone able to help me out? been trying to find an Erata, Official FAQ, anything on d20psfrd...

Spore
2014-07-03, 09:29 AM
Hoping you can help me settle a discussion I'm having with a fellow player who's more experienced than I am.

His argument is that you can not cast Enlarge Person on an Eidelon that has the Large/ Huge Evolution as these effects do not stack.

This increase changes the creature's size category to the next larger one.

Having a certain size isn't a typed buff on a number. It's a category (it's a sequential category but still a category not a number). Like outsider. Also tell him that it is no polymorph effect so you don't morph into a specific size but rather increase your size by one step.

Or if he is mathematically inclined tell him these both sentences are not in equilibrium:

Starting size+1 != Size always will be large regardless of your starting size.

grarrrg
2014-07-03, 10:28 AM
I tried to point out that Evolutions aren't magical effects or spells and that it is the nature of the Eidelon

You are correct here.

Large Evolution is an (Ex) ability.
(Ex)traordinary (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Extraordinary-Abilities-Ex-) abilities are NOT magic:

Indeed, extraordinary abilities do not qualify as magical, though they may break the laws of physics.

Enlarge Person (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/enlarge-person) says:

Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

It is perfectly legal to Enlarge a Huge Eidolon.

If it's general stacking rules he has a problem with, then you're fine there too, as the size increase is coming from different sources.

Arbane
2014-07-03, 12:21 PM
I'd rather make a Dio Brando. "Za Warudo!"

Thankfully, Eidolons can't get Time Stop as a SLA. They can be broken enough as it is...

SystemOverload
2014-07-06, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks :) it's nice to hear I'm not 100% crazy (and god do I love being right lol)
Now back to the drawing board I go to try and make this synthesist as good as I can with my limited knowledge.
As a side note, is it worth taking 1 Level of Oracle - Mystery Lore with Sidestep Secret and 2 levels of Paladin for the increased saves?
My biggest worry is my eidelon being dismissed/banished...
We rolled 2D6 +6 for stats and I ended up with 18/18/17/16/15/12. If I take aging and Half Elf, that puts me at 23/21/20/10/9/6

Makes me not have to worry too much about a hit to con.
Torn on if I should go with weapons (perhaps even guns) or stick to natural attacks and figuring out what the best BAB is I'm going to get out of this as it seems to be a tad low (might also be my math that is off)

Snowbluff
2014-07-06, 10:31 AM
Thankfully, Eidolons can't get Time Stop as a SLA. They can be broken enough as it is...

That's be an interesting archetype, actually. Instead of Summon Monster, they get time-themed spells like Haste and Time Stop.

Spore
2014-07-06, 10:37 AM
That's be an interesting archetype, actually. Instead of Summon Monster, they get time-themed spells like Haste and Time Stop.

You mean interesting as in "conjuring all the swallowed hate people have for summoners anyways"?

Snowbluff
2014-07-06, 10:39 AM
You mean interesting as in "conjuring all the swallowed hate people have for summoners anyways"?

:smallbiggrin:

I don't think it would be that much of a power bump. They don't have many spells that are particularly useful in Time Stop. Without Summon Monster SLA, they would have very little to do. They wouldn't be able to channel these effects while the eidolon is present, anyway.

Made a thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?360471-What-kind-of-Summoner-Archetypes-would-you-make)

grarrrg
2014-07-06, 11:17 AM
As a side note, is it worth taking 1 Level of Oracle - Mystery Lore with Sidestep Secret and 2 levels of Paladin for the increased saves?
We rolled 2D6 +6 for stats and I ended up with 18/18/17/16/15/12. If I take aging and Half Elf, that puts me at 23/21/20/10/9/6

Paladin dip might be good, Smite Evil plays nicely with lots of attacks (even if the damage bonus will be low), best stat to all Saves is sweet, and the All Martial Prof gives you good weapon selection, should you go that route.

I'd skip Oracle though. Mainly because the Eidolon will still have a respectable DEX score. And that's one less level of Evolution points and such.

figuring out what the best BAB is I'm going to get out of this as it seems to be a tad low (might also be my math that is off)

Partly depends if Fractionals are allowed or not.
Going "as written":
Paladin 2/Oracle 1/Summoner 17 has 14 Bab, 15 in Eidolon-suit
Going with Fractions:
Paladin 2/Oracle 1/Summoner 17 has 15 Bab, 16 in Eidolon Suit.

Either way
Paladin 2/Summoner 18 has 15 Bab, +1 in Eidolon-suit

SystemOverload
2014-07-06, 02:10 PM
Paladin dip might be good, Smite Evil plays nicely with lots of attacks (even if the damage bonus will be low), best stat to all Saves is sweet, and the All Martial Prof gives you good weapon selection, should you go that route.

I'd skip Oracle though. Mainly because the Eidolon will still have a respectable DEX score. And that's one less level of Evolution points and such.

Partly depends if Fractionals are allowed or not.
Going "as written":
Paladin 2/Oracle 1/Summoner 17 has 14 Bab, 15 in Eidolon-suit
Going with Fractions:
Paladin 2/Oracle 1/Summoner 17 has 15 Bab, 16 in Eidolon Suit.

Either way
Paladin 2/Summoner 18 has 15 Bab, +1 in Eidolon-suit

Thanks for the feedback Grarrg. Any suggestions on how to best boost that bab?
Also (and again, I'm super new at dnd/pathfinder in general. played a lot of World of Darkness but that's much different system) for evolution points, taking the 1 dip into oracle, would cost me 1 evo point on the table I believe? Nothing is gained from the extra lvl of prefered class and the extra AC from Oracle CHA and extra to saves, would offset the extra purchase of an evolution in Natural armor, no?

Renen
2014-07-06, 02:37 PM
Quite the necro gents

Ellowryn
2014-07-06, 03:08 PM
The only way to boost BaB is to either take more levels in a class that has a better BaB progression, or gestalt. As for the difference one summoner level can make, you gain between level 17 and 18 the following: 1 HD, 1 BaB, +1 to good Saves, 4 Skill Points, and 1 Evo point. Honestly gargle is right in that the one level of Oracle isnt really worth it.

grarrrg
2014-07-06, 06:18 PM
Quite the necro gents

For whatever reason, people keep replying to this thread once every 6 months or so...

Nothing is gained from the extra lvl of prefered class and the extra AC from Oracle CHA and extra to saves, would offset the extra purchase of an evolution in Natural armor, no?

Eh, I still say the couple AC you gain isn't really worth it, and the extra couple to REF save aren't either.
There may be a better dip than one more level of Summoner though, I just don't think Oracle is it.

Grarrg...
gargle

Who? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RunningGag) :smallconfused:

SystemOverload
2014-07-10, 07:16 AM
Who? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RunningGag) :smallconfused:

Sorry grarrrg, didn't even notice that I had missed 1 r.

Haven't been able to really find another dip that would be worth it then. Toyed around with Monk for an extra in saves and a touch of AC, but no major value there either...

grarrrg
2014-07-10, 10:24 AM
Sorry grarrrg, didn't even notice that I had missed 1 r.

No one can spell it right, hence the link to the "Running Gag" trope. :smallwink:

Haven't been able to really find another dip that would be worth it then. Toyed around with Monk for an extra in saves and a touch of AC, but no major value there either...

There's always the Dipping Guide (check signature below).
Might give you some ideas. Or explode your brain. I say 50/50 chance of either.

SystemOverload
2014-07-10, 11:35 AM
There's always the Dipping Guide (check signature below).
Might give you some ideas. Or explode your brain. I say 50/50 chance of either.

I did take a look through your guide and must admit that as a new player, it mostly exploded my brain :p
Sadly I have the habit to keep digging and learning more and try to piece it all together while common sense should be telling me to stop and move along. "Analysis Paralysis" pretty much sets in and I end up not deciding on anything lol.

what I have so far..

Eidolon Abilities
Base - Darkvision, Evasion, Improved Evasion, Devotion, Multiattack
Form - Biped - claws, limbs (arms), limbs (legs)

Claws (x2)
limbs (arms) (x2)
Immunity (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic)
Spell Resistance (28)
Flight Su (30ft)
Improved Natural Armor (8)
Improved Damage (claws)

-Class / Feat Progression-
P 01 Dodge, Skill Focus Perception, Toughness
P 02 Combat Expertise
S 03
S 04 Extra Evolution
S 05
S 06 Combat Reflexes
S 07
S 08 Extra Evolution
S 09
S 10 Vigilant Eidolon
S 11
S 12 Extra Evolution
S 13
S 14 not sure yet
S 15
S 16 not sure yet
S 17
S 18 Extra Evolution
S 19
S 20 Something...

Ellowryn
2014-07-10, 01:24 PM
You forgot to account for the Large/Huge evolution. Also, go with the quadruped base form so you can pick up pounce, yeah you are not a charger but being able to run up and full attack is worth the extra 2 points for an extra set of arms.

My suggestion would also to be keep the flight to Ex just in case someone starts throwing around an AMF, and drop the immunities for more arms/slams.

grarrrg
2014-07-10, 09:33 PM
Might want to start your own thread, you'd get more help that way.

drop the immunities for more [other stuff]

It might be worth buying 1 Immunity if it is common enough, otherwise you are better off using Evolution Surge and getting the Immunity you want as you need it.

SystemOverload
2014-08-01, 03:05 PM
Might want to start your own thread, you'd get more help that way.

It might be worth buying 1 Immunity if it is common enough, otherwise you are better off using Evolution Surge and getting the Immunity you want as you need it.

Evolution surge might indeed be a better way to go.
I'll have to keep that one in mind!

Daimon
2014-11-07, 12:55 PM
Let's just take this to its inevitable conclusion, shall we?

Attacks: 2x Slam +21 (12d10 + 26) plus Bite +21 (12d8 + 39) OR
2x Power Attack Slam + 18 (12d10 + 32) plus Bite +18 (12d8 + 48)

Sorry for the necro, guys! But I'm really lost on where this much damage is coming? Slam +26? Bite +39? How? From what I can figure, he is applying 2 times the str bonus on slam and 3 times on bite!

But if there is a way to do that, I'm on board! Thanks in advance!

grarrrg
2014-11-07, 09:07 PM
For whatever reason, people keep replying to this thread once every 6 months or so...
I think I need to update my estimate...

Sorry for the necro, guys! But I'm really lost on where this much damage is coming? Slam +26? Bite +39? How? From what I can figure, he is applying 2 times the str bonus on slam and 3 times on bite!

I...never really noticed/payed attention to that before. Was more concerned with "optimizing Slam damage into triple digits" than STR bonuses.

I think it's more "forgot to divide by 2 for STR-mod" than "doubled", but yeah, those numbers should be about half of what they are.
14 Base + 5HD +2 levels +16 Huge =37 STR
So the STR score of 36 is correct, for a STR-mod of 13
+13 damage to the Slams, and +19 to the Bite (Imp Bite > x1.5 STR)

And now that you point it out, I think the To-Hit numbers are off as well.
Bab is 10
Bab + STR should be +23 to-hit, all attacks are Primary, so +23 is solid.

Power Attack should be -3 / +6 for the Slams, and -3 / +9 for the Bite

Attacks: 2x Slam +23 (12d10 + 13) plus Bite +23 (12d8 + 19) OR
2x Power Attack Slam + 20 (12d10 + 19) plus Bite +20 (12d8 + 28)

Snowbluff
2014-11-07, 10:26 PM
I should make a "we need the biggest boat" for Synthesist Pummeling Strike Slam Optimization. :smalltongue:

Make all of the slams at once, if one crits they all crit.

Ellowryn
2014-11-07, 11:27 PM
I should make a "we need the biggest boat" for Synthesist Pummeling Strike Slam Optimization. :smalltongue:

Make all of the slams at once, if one crits they all crit.

Unfortunately they appeared to of errata'd that so it only works with unarmed strikes so you lose a good deal of damage if you use that feat.

Snowbluff
2014-11-07, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately they appeared to of errata'd that so it only works with unarmed strikes so you lose a good deal of damage if you use that feat.

Feral Combat Training allows you to Pummeling Strike with your slams.

Daimon
2014-11-10, 10:29 AM
I think I need to update my estimate...

I...never really noticed/payed attention to that before. Was more concerned with "optimizing Slam damage into triple digits" than STR bonuses.

I think it's more "forgot to divide by 2 for STR-mod" than "doubled", but yeah, those numbers should be about half of what they are.
14 Base + 5HD +2 levels +16 Huge =37 STR
So the STR score of 36 is correct, for a STR-mod of 13
+13 damage to the Slams, and +19 to the Bite (Imp Bite > x1.5 STR)

And now that you point it out, I think the To-Hit numbers are off as well.
Bab is 10
Bab + STR should be +23 to-hit, all attacks are Primary, so +23 is solid.

Power Attack should be -3 / +6 for the Slams, and -3 / +9 for the Bite

Attacks: 2x Slam +23 (12d10 + 13) plus Bite +23 (12d8 + 19) OR
2x Power Attack Slam + 20 (12d10 + 19) plus Bite +20 (12d8 + 28)

We necro because it's a good thread, with lots of useful information!

Thanks for the clarification grarrrg!