PDA

View Full Version : Cortana VS Durandal

Dragonus45
2012-06-04, 09:23 PM
So after seeing the halo 4 trailer this thought came into my head, assuming that Cortana were to achieve Rampancy could she take Durandal in a fight. Assume that they both been stranded on a single planet, highly advanced enough to handle the strain both of them would be able to put onto it in this fight, say some long lived cyberpunk planet where everything and anything are connected and can store data. But they have no space ships or combat cyborgs they usually travel with to help. I wonder who would win. Now suppose they do both have there Mjonlier class travel minions. Any thoughts.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-04, 10:41 PM
I don't know anything about Durandul but Cortana is probably one of the most powerful things in the galaxy after Gravemind and some forerunner AIs, and if she's running on a level where she actually thinks she's a god now, unless Durandul is the same level as her, I think she can take almost anything when an entire planet is at her disposal.

Leliel
2012-06-04, 10:53 PM
Depends.

Does Durandal's ability to think in the extreme long term win out over his cosmos-sized ego?

If the former, he wins. If the latter, Cortana wins, and probably takes a picture of his avatar's face in the process.

dgnslyr
2012-06-04, 11:45 PM
What story is Durandal from? Because I can only think of the sword from the Song of Roland. Is Cortana tougher than a mountain?

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-05, 12:27 AM
What story is Durandal from? Because I can only think of the sword from the Song of Roland. Is Cortana tougher than a mountain?

Marathon. It's sort of the pre-Halo.

TheLaughingMan
2012-06-05, 12:32 AM
Marathon. It's sort of the pre-Halo.

Except about 10678945638602.4382018 times more complicated.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-05, 12:55 AM
Except about 10678945638602.4382018 times more complicated.

Never played it. Wouldn't know.

Dragonus45
2012-06-05, 06:51 AM
Never played it. Wouldn't know.

He is an AI that does something called going rampant, which makes the AI go insane but also causes them to gain true sentience, and makes them infinity more powerful. To give you an idea of scale Durandal's goal was too escape the universe so that when it eventually ended and restarted he could become god. The only reason he failed was that he learned that it was a bad idea after helping to stop an elder god being trapped in a sun... or something like that the last game got complicated. Also he was the good guy, he was pretty much the Cortana to the Player of Marathon. While no connection between the series has ever been proven, i like to think they are. Honestly nothing would make me happier than this EVIL AI in Halo 4 being Durandal...

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-05, 11:23 AM
Considering that Marathon takes place about 250 years after Halo, that doesn't really seem possible.
I think Halo is more of a spiritual sequel rather than a shared universe with Marathon. The two share some deliberate similarities, especially with AI, but they are distinct universes.

Dragonus45
2012-06-05, 07:51 PM
Considering that Marathon takes place about 250 years after Halo, that doesn't really seem possible.
I think Halo is more of a spiritual sequel rather than a shared universe with Marathon. The two share some deliberate similarities, especially with AI, but they are distinct universes.

Oh i know that it will never happen, but it would be an interesting fight if it ever did. But the similarities with the ai are why i think they would make for an interesting matchup.