PDA

View Full Version : Durandal vs. GLaDOS

TheLaughingMan
2012-06-04, 09:41 PM
Inspiration has struck me, dear playground members, for upon gazing towards a thread entitled "Cortana vs. Durandal," I decided to steal it knew in my heart that there was only one possible way a better thread topic could be created in all of world history. This, my friends, is not that way, but I shall endeavor with every fiber of my being to make-believe it is, and have made a pact to administer large quantities of corrosive acid to the face of any who oppose my delusions.

So without further ado (not that there were many do's to begin with), who is the greater utter failure of science, the door opener who became a would-be god, or the chemical-defroster-come-mass-murderer?

Dragonus45
2012-06-04, 09:49 PM
Clearly what we need a mega thread to encompass this all, Cortana v Durandal V GLaDOS. Both with there respective minions and without.

That aside Durandal doesn't have much competition here, GLaDOS is interesting, but against the raw computing power that Durandal could bring to a fight she has no defense.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-04, 10:11 PM
Yup. As much as I love the psychopathic cube-incinerating AI, she's outclassed by too many orders of magnitude to have any real hope of winning.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-04, 10:50 PM
Compared to the Bungie AIs(Halo and Marathon have very similar AIs from what I understand) GLaDOS is basically a glorified laptop.

TheLaughingMan
2012-06-05, 12:30 AM
How about we put them on a level playing field, then?

Suppose both A.I.s go by Marathon universe rules Rampancy and all. What then?

Dragonus45
2012-06-05, 06:54 AM
How about we put them on a level playing field, then?

Suppose both A.I.s go by Marathon universe rules Rampancy and all. What then?

Well GLaDOS is the textbook definition of rampancy, but i don't think she has quite the ability to out maneuver Durandal in an AI fight, and her minion is a bit below par compared to a Mjolnier MKIV combat cyborg.

HandofShadows
2012-06-05, 10:45 AM
GLaDOS have a LOT of potential she does not use. Just think a moment. She is in control of an underground facility covering square miles and going deep underground. And there are porduction facilites where she can make highly advanced equpment in large amounts. She has the capability to make a whole army of killer bots in a short period of time. But she really doesn't use any of it other than to run tests.

As for being rampant (click only if you don't want Portal 2 spoiled)GLaDOS is not a true AI. She is actually a uploaded human mind.

Prime32
2012-06-05, 01:38 PM
As for being rampant (click only if you don't want Portal 2 spoiled)GLaDOS is not a true AI. She is actually a uploaded human mind.Haloverse AIs are also uploaded human minds. Not sure if that applies to Marathon.

HandofShadows
2012-06-05, 02:58 PM
Haloverse AIs are also uploaded human minds. Not sure if that applies to Marathon.

Not quite. Halo AI's are based on on a human's mind (Cortana is a copy of Dr. Halsey, but not the woman herself obviously). GLaDOS IS Caroline, not a copy. And most likely a unwilling partisipant in the "uploading" process (also can be considered a murder). Which would explain a lot about how she acts.

Leliel
2012-06-05, 10:02 PM
Not quite. Halo AI's are based on on a human's mind (Cortana is a copy of Dr. Halsey, but not the woman herself obviously). GLaDOS IS Caroline, not a copy. And most likely a unwilling partisipant in the "uploading" process (also can be considered a murder). Which would explain a lot about how she acts.

To be more accurate, she was Caroline, but a combination of Personality Sphere add-ons (like Wheatley), and the programming of the mainframe to run tests caused GLaDOS to effectively grow past Caroline's personality, to the point where she deletes the remnants of the organic mind and shows no personality differences.

Anyway, depends on whether or not GLaDOS can needle Durandal into making a mistake. She's that good at insults and wit, she can probably find something that causes him to explode into a frothing rage if she has the time and the info.

HandofShadows
2012-06-06, 04:22 AM
To be more accurate, she was Caroline, but a combination of Personality Sphere add-ons (like Wheatley), and the programming of the mainframe to run tests caused GLaDOS to effectively grow past Caroline's personality, to the point where she deletes the remnants of the organic mind and shows no personality differences.

Did GLaDOS delete Caroline? I saw a theory (and is backed up with facts) is that GLaOS deleted Caroline's memories, but not Caroline herself (how can a person delete themselves?). The fact that there is no change in personality after the deletion is really evidence that Caroline is still there, just under the name GLaDOS.

Anyway, depends on whether or not GLaDOS can needle Durandal into making a mistake. She's that good at insults and wit, she can probably find something that causes him to explode into a frothing rage if she has the time and the info.

ROFL. If you cannot out compute the enemy, out think them. :smallcool:

Dragonus45
2012-06-06, 06:59 AM

Durandal is like the god of swarmy insults and snark. I could see it as a tie in the insult department.