PDA

View Full Version : Major Image: Deadlier than it Seems?

VGLordR2
2012-06-04, 11:00 PM
Hey, guys. I've recently been working on a Wizard that focuses exclusively on the Illusion school. While looking through the list, I saw Major Image. I thought nothing of it, until I read the description. Here's the text:

This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you. While concentrating, you can move the image within the range. Sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect.

The image disappears when struck by an opponent unless you cause the illusion to react appropriately.

Emphasis mine.

Now, that "thermal effects" bit got me thinking. Obviously, it is meant to replicate something like a torch. If someone passes near it, they will feel heat. That's all well and good. But what happens when we take it up a notch? Let's say I create an illusion of a bit of the surface of a sun. Or even the core, if I'm being ambitious. Would my illusion create an area that incinerates anyone who fails their save, roasting them at millions of degrees? Are there even rules for anything that hot?

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? Or is Major Image an immensely broken spell?

Seatbelt
2012-06-04, 11:04 PM
When did your character see the surface of the sun?

But on a more useful note. As a DM I'd say that an illusion of a pit of lava would grant a will save for the character to notice that the heat radiating off of it isn't actually roasting them alive, even though it feels like it should be.

Oscredwin
2012-06-04, 11:06 PM
The spell is a figment, so while the victim feels like her skin is burning off there is no physical damage. You'd have to find a way to add the shadow descriptor to it if you want any real heat.

But yeah, overloading a relevant sense (I prefer sight) should turn an illusion spell into a save or suck for as many targets as you can fit in the effect.

Big Fau
2012-06-04, 11:06 PM
This idea pops up every so often. The general consensus is that the idea is purely within the realms of theoretical optimization.

Crasical
2012-06-04, 11:07 PM
No, Because

Figments and glamers are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. They cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements. Consequently, these spells are useful for confounding or delaying foes, but useless for attacking them directly.

ericgrau
2012-06-04, 11:10 PM
You would basically provide warmth not actual fire damage. At best you might argue for pain and fake damage, but I don't think that was the intent at all.

VGLordR2
2012-06-04, 11:18 PM
Oh, well. It was worth a shot. It's still a cool spell.

Also, could I replicate something that smells particularly foul to block the Scent ability with Major Image?

Oscredwin
2012-06-04, 11:23 PM
Blocking scent sounds fair. It's the same as using silent image to make a wall to hide behind.

Callista
2012-06-04, 11:24 PM
Oh, well. It was worth a shot. It's still a cool spell.

Also, could I replicate something that smells particularly foul to block the Scent ability with Major Image?Yes, just like you can replicate a wall to block line of sight. But they could still disbelieve the illusion, if they had reason to believe it was one.

Rorrik
2012-06-04, 11:24 PM
That definitely seems plausible. If not, arguably you could make the scent something that makes them plug their nose either because it smells so rotten or because it smells like it's toxic. Throw in a "it's poison!" sound and a creeping heat inside their nostrils and they'd have no doubt it was a toxic gas enveloping them.

hushblade
2012-06-04, 11:29 PM
You aren't creating any heat, you're creating the illusion of heat. Your sensation is there, the effects are not.

Endarire
2012-06-06, 07:29 PM
I noticed this a few years ago. Again, it's an Illusion and not a shadow Illusion. Nothing real, here.

You could feel that something was blisteringly hot or numblingly cold, but get through it just fine, wondering what happened.