PDA

View Full Version : Odd weapons or non-weapons weaponized

Feralventas
2012-06-05, 01:54 AM
Is there any way to weaponize dice in combat as a mechanic? Other suggestions for strange weapons or mundane objects used for violent/combat purposes? Stats for chairs or ladders other than 1d4 for improvised weapons?

Ashtagon
2012-06-05, 02:24 AM
Is there any way to weaponize dice in combat as a mechanic? Other suggestions for strange weapons or mundane objects used for violent/combat purposes? Stats for chairs or ladders other than 1d4 for improvised weapons?

The last few pages of Complete Warrior have stats for these.

Weaponising something that isn't already a weapon is the Craft skill. You might "weaponise" dice into something that functions as shuriken, and go from there with crafting and raw material costs. The dice would contribute some value to raw material costs.

mattie_p
2012-06-05, 05:26 AM
You might "weaponise" dice into something that functions as shuriken, and go from there with crafting and raw material costs. The dice would contribute some value to raw material costs.

Ashtagon, you must never have stepped on any dice in bare feet, or you would know they need no weaponization, they are already caltrops.

Ashtagon
2012-06-05, 06:26 AM
Ashtagon, you must never have stepped on any dice in bare feet, or you would know they need no weaponization, they are already caltrops.

Real caltrops are made to go through shoe leather.

mattie_p
2012-06-05, 06:30 AM
Real caltrops are made to go through shoe leather.

I disbelieve your attempts to provide a realistic explanation. I disbelieve your attempts to provide a realistic explanation! :smallwink:

But seriously, in my house, my kid's dice, legos, green army men, and other such items are called floor teeth.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-06-05, 08:36 AM
Is there any way to weaponize dice in combat as a mechanic?

Take a few levels in Drunken Master, and you can deal respectable damage with improvised weapons (monk's unarmed + a bonus). Combine with Master Thrower or Bloodstorm Blade (or nothing at all) and you can be throwing dice around and doing all sorts of fun things like ricocheting them off of enemies.

Flickerdart
2012-06-05, 08:38 AM
Not much difference between a lead die and a lead sling bullet.

Axier
2012-06-05, 09:17 AM
Not much difference between a lead die and a lead sling bullet.

Except the -2 to hit you are going to recieve for using improvised ammo in a sling, and yes there is a rule for that. In fact, I think it also does 1d3 instead of 1d4

Flickerdart
2012-06-05, 10:37 AM
Considering that using any old stone in a sling is only a -1 penalty, a -2 penalty on using something more like a bullet is laughable to even suggest.

Spiryt
2012-06-05, 11:18 AM
Well, stones are generally undefined in SRD other than 'ordinary'.

So I guess that lead dice like d20++ to d100 could actually be passable bullet, d4 and d6 would cause a lot of problems though. :smallbiggrin:

Gandariel
2012-06-05, 11:36 AM
Considering that using any old stone in a sling is only a -1 penalty, a -2 penalty on using something more like a bullet is laughable to even suggest.

Do you have any recent ones? :P

kharmakazy
2012-06-05, 09:52 PM
Take a dip in warblade with stone mountain hammer. Use your d20 to bash through adamantine walls.

Namfuak
2012-06-05, 09:56 PM
If I recall correctly, there are rules out there for a deck of throwing cards, which is basically a deck full of cards with sharpened edges. I thought it was Complete Scoundrel, but I don't see them there.

phantomreader42
2012-06-06, 10:26 AM
I'd say, where possible, try to map the odd item to an existing weapon to determine damage. Treat throwing dice like throwing a rock, or a sling bullet maybe. If you hit someone over the head with a beer bottle, treat it as a light mace (probably a fragile one, which might be treated like a punching dagger once it breaks). Break off a chair leg, you've got yourself a cudgel. Apply nonproficiency penalties for improvised weapons, since they're not actually proper weapons of that type.

EDIT: The idea of an Improbable Weapon User prestige class appeals...

AmberVael
2012-06-06, 10:48 AM
The Tome of Battle discipline Diamond Mind has a pair of maneuvers (Insightful Strike and its Greater version) that basically replaces all damage you'd normally do with a concentration check.

Which basically means that no matter what you're hitting someone with, as long a you have a good concentration check, you'll deal decent damage. This lends itself very well to using any random object as a lethal weapons.

Feralventas
2012-06-06, 02:14 PM
@ Mountain Hammers and Insightful Strikes
I should have known that the Tome of Battle would be a go-to for this, so I'll be sure to keep these in mind.

@Improbable Weapon-user option
Where is this? I don't think I've seen it in the Completes or the like.

@Throwing Cards
I don't recall them being in CS either, but I'll see if I can't pull something up with google-fu instead.

@dude with the dice all over the place
You have my sympathies, those things hurt if you're bare-foot >.>;

@Complete Warrior Improvised Weapons
Well now instead of a d4 improvised it'd be a d3! Excellent.
(Though it'll probably prove useful later, I'm sure.)

Now for a little clarification, as I worded the entry poorly; I was looking for something to the effect of
Roll Dice
Effect of dice varies depending on result of the roll, attempt to use in an offensive capacity. Something to the effect of a projectile or perhaps refluffed Rod of Wonder with a little more variety and a bit more destructive potential.

Also, can anyone tell me if a Jump can count as a charge or part of a charge despite the arched pathway?

The Dark Fiddler
2012-06-06, 08:37 PM
EDIT: The idea of an Improbable Weapon User prestige class appeals...

Again, the Drunken Master PrC in Complete Warrior, with a few other alcohol-related goodies, is pretty much this. Lets you deal respectable damage, and lets you do stuff like use ladders to trip, upend tables as tower shields, etc.