PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Instant Metamagic Sorcerer

Zancrow
2012-06-05, 10:28 AM
I was told the below was a very good build for a sorcerer, but the thing is I have no idea at all what a instant metamagic sorcerer is. So any ideas? book references? etc
Instant Metamagic Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 10/Whatever 4

Rhaegar14
2012-06-05, 10:31 AM
I think you want the variant out of Player's Handbook II, which allows the Sorcerer to swap out their familiar for the ability to use metamagic without increasing casting time.

So, in other words, get rid of the familiar bookkeeping for mitigating one of the (admittedly many) major advantages prepared casters have over spontaneous.

docnessuno
2012-06-05, 10:37 AM
If that feature wasen't limited to 3+Int times/day i would actually consider it worthwile.

Eldest
2012-06-05, 11:28 AM
If that feature wasen't limited to 3+Int times/day i would actually consider it worthwile.

Please say you're joking. Intelligence?

Waddacku
2012-06-05, 11:43 AM
Nope, it's 3+Int.

Rhaegar14
2012-06-05, 11:49 AM
And it's still better than not being able to use Quicken lol.

Qwertystop
2012-06-05, 11:52 AM
If it's Intellgence score instead of Intelligence modifier, I'd say its fine. Unfortunately, it probably isn't...

docnessuno
2012-06-05, 01:12 PM
And it's still better than not being able to use Quicken lol.

Rapid metamagic (CM) is a much better option, coming online at level 9. Accelerate metamagic (RotD) is an earlier option (lvl 1-3) but requires the dragonblood subtype.
The final option is Arcane preparation (CA) but it's not worth it unless you are taking it for something else too (Exhalted spells, PRC qualification)

Loxagn
2012-06-05, 01:13 PM
I don't think my group has ever played with the various rules that defecate all over the Sorcerer class. They're already limited by Spells Known and a ton of dead levels. They don't need the added limitations on top of that.

Draz74
2012-06-05, 01:24 PM
Rapid metamagic (CM) is a much better option, coming online at level 9. Accelerate metamagic (RotD) is an earlier option (lvl 1-3) but requires the dragonblood subtype.
The final option is Arcane preparation (CA) but it's not worth it unless you are taking it for something else too (Exhalted spells, PRC qualification)

Or at semi-high levels, you can learn Arcane Spellsurge and "quicken" your spells that way. If you go this route, then it's actually an advantage to go with the 3+INT PHB2 ACF rather than the alternatives, because you want to be able to cast spells as "full-round actions" (which get shortened to standard actions under Arcane Spellsurge).

In the meantime (starting from Level 8) and in a similar vein, Arcane Fusion is kind of like having access to Quicken.