PDA

View Full Version : Bowcaster

Fineous Orlon
2012-06-05, 11:08 AM
Is there a standard way to install a wand in a crossbow so that you could fire either in a round [a weapon like Chewbacca's, of course]?

Wand would be MagMissile for low cost/ doesn't miss, but Scorching ray or other ideas are welcome.

For bonus points, allow changing the wand out for a different or better wand.

dextercorvia
2012-06-05, 11:27 AM
You can place a Wand Chamber (Dung) in a Crossbow for 100gp.

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 11:41 AM
You could also have a wand bracer from Dungeonscape. It lets you pack five wands into the bracer and you can retrieve one as a swift action. Only works if your hand is free though. It will still take two full rounds to change a wand in your crossbow with one from your bracer, and that's if you drop the one in the crossbow. If you want to stow the one from the crossbow it's three rounds total.

Qwertystop
2012-06-05, 11:53 AM
You can place a Wand Chamber (Dung) in a Crossbow for 100gp.

Yeah. Dungeonscape has so much awesome stuff.

Thanks, Rich!

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 11:55 AM
Heh, I never really noticed that before!

Qwertystop
2012-06-05, 12:02 PM
Heh, I never really noticed that before!

Noticed what?

Fineous Orlon
2012-06-05, 12:07 PM
Many thanks!

Wand Chamber sounds like it. I do not have Dungeonscape, plainly.

Can activating the wand be as simple as a second release [trigger or tickler], or must it be command word?

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 12:11 PM
Noticed what?

That Rich was one of the authors.

Fineous Orlon
2012-06-05, 12:13 PM
Also, can the wand and the bow be activated with one action?

Agent 451
2012-06-05, 12:17 PM
The wand chamber allows you to activate the wand without dropping the weapon. The activation will be a standard action, just like normally activating a wand, unless the casting time of the spell is longer.

Edit: I think you could both activate the wand and attack if the wand spell had a casting time of a swift action. There is a list of these spells here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/199603-compiled-list-swift-immediate-action-spells.html). The one thing I am not sure about is, well, the casting time. In the DMG (came out before swift actions) it states "casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action" and the only exceptions are spells that take longer to cast. I don't know if the swift action wand use was clarified in any later books.

Edit 2: Rules Compendium cleared that up. Swift action spells in wands are cast as a swift action. That means these spells can be cast, and then you can attack with your crossbow.

Fineous Orlon
2012-06-05, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Dextercorvia and Agent. If I refine the concept any more, I know where to ask, and what book to look in, as well.