PDA

View Full Version : X-men comics.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-06-05, 01:19 PM
I recently stumbled upon one of my favourite childhood TV shows ever (X-men Evolution) and that kind of rekindled my interest in the X-men, so I thought I would look for some of their comics and I was wondering if there was or is any issue that is a must read.

I was also wondering if the x-force issues were also good.

DiscipleofBob
2012-06-05, 01:58 PM
I can't read most of the modern comics due to the clusterf*** they've done to the story with everything from House of M to Emma Frost, but I will say that Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men was definitely worth the read-through. It contained a lot of previous plot elements I never liked (Beast now a cat-person, Cyclops and Emma Frost together, etc.) but Whedon can spin that s*** into comic gold.

Cen
2012-06-05, 02:25 PM
Dark Phoenix Saga. Or any other story ending in Jean Grey's death. There are plenty.

Jayngfet
2012-06-06, 07:16 PM
I'd say start where I started and track down one of the big compilations of classic X-Stories from like the 70's. I mean they're pretty weighty and dense, but that at least means you're getting your monies worth and in any case it's always cool to read about classic members like Wolverine and Banshee coming into the team for the first time.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-06, 08:58 PM
The entire classic Claremont run? Its is kinda diffuse like that. Though aside from the obvious one Days of Future Past and God Loves, Man Kills are probably the most remembered storylines of the period.

The early part of Whedon's Astonishing X-men is great stuff, presumably better since you won't have to wait six months between an issue. I ended up despising it with a passion the end for being ridiculously never ever published. (Six months between issues sometimes, that's shameful and unprofessional)

Grant Morrison's run on New X-men is well regarded before the end.

For getting into anything recent you will need to look into House of M/Decimation and Messiah Complex. The former perhaps just grab an abstract from a wiki, the latter is still a good yarn.

And umm X-Force... which one? Because you go far enough back and umm it was created by Rob Liefeld, that should tell you everything you need to know. The more recent one unrelated and just using the name started Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost (which I presume from the Evolution link is what you meant) was excellent stuff when it started. It managed to conquer my distaste for Wolverine because he was actually being used properly: leading a black ops team. I have no clue how it turned out since I had to stop collecting comics no more then a year after it started.

Dark Phoenix Saga. Or any other story ending in Jean Grey's death. There are plenty.

No there aren't.

Jean Grey has died twice. The famous time and the current one which has held for some what... seven eight years now?

Actually if you want to get really technical she did not die at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Because she was not per retcon, actually in said comic story.

CapnRedBeard
2012-06-06, 11:36 PM
Soooooooooo many storylines.

I collected in the 90's. The "Age of Apocalypse" series was really good.

All the "Weapon X" Wolverine stuff is really good.

Gambit...Deadpool...Cable...all had great mini-series.

Try to find a beginning...I have not read up on the re-telling/complete change in the newer realities/whatnot...but they cannot all be bad...

thegurullamen
2012-06-06, 11:54 PM
Soooooooooo many storylines.

I collected in the 90's. The "Age of Apocalypse" series was really good.

All the "Weapon X" Wolverine stuff is really good.

Gambit...Deadpool...Cable...all had great mini-series.

Try to find a beginning...I have not read up on the re-telling/complete change in the newer realities/whatnot...but they cannot all be bad...

Didn't know Gambit had a miniseries--will totally have to check that out along with Whedon's run, which always seems to slide when something else comes onto my radar.

But I totally recommend the Cable & Deadpool spinoff--great stuff.

Avilan the Grey
2012-06-07, 01:42 AM

Heh when I read that I was young enough to believe people stayed dead in comics (Seriously).
Admittedly her name is Phoenix, but the repeated deaths are just annoying at this point.

But yes, Claremont's entire run is worth it.

Cen
2012-06-07, 02:28 AM
No there aren't.

Jean Grey has died twice. [/COLOR]

interesting link (http://www.alternatecover.com/features/how-many-times-has-jean-grey-died/)

Selrahc
2012-06-07, 05:24 AM
Jean Grey has died twice. The famous time and the current one which has held for some what... seven eight years now?

Actually if you want to get really technical she did not die at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Because she was not per retcon, actually in said comic story.

I would say that when a character is portrayed to the readership as dead, then turns out not to be dead that counts as "Coming back from the dead", regardless of whether or not the character actually dies "For real" within continuity. It's things like "But I was never dead at all! It was really a clone/robot/psychic replicant/trick!" that create the impression of death being impermanent far more than actual legit resurrections.

Devonix
2012-06-07, 06:41 AM
interesting link (http://www.alternatecover.com/features/how-many-times-has-jean-grey-died/)

Read that link years ago. If you are reffering to Real Deaths then Jean has died 2 times. If you talk about it the way that that paged does then Batman had died like 20 times or so not counting alternate continuities.

quite literally half of the "deaths" on that list occur in the same issue with jean regenerating in seconds, I'd say you need to be dead at least an hour to count as a real death.

One of the "Deaths" was an alternate universe character

One of the "deaths" Was just her sending her mind into another person's body while people thought she was dead

One of the "deaths" was part of the whole Thanos destroying half the life in the Marvel Universe which counts as a death for half the Superheroes marvel owns and was brought back next issue.

The only Real times Jean died were the whole Phoenix thing the first time and when Magneto killed her. Just Two Times.

comicshorse
2012-06-07, 07:50 AM
Grant Morrison's run on New X-men is well regarded before the end.

[/COLOR]

But the ending, indeed the whole final two storylines, were appalling

Avilan the Grey
2012-06-07, 07:53 AM
I would say that when a character is portrayed to the readership as dead, then turns out not to be dead that counts as "Coming back from the dead", regardless of whether or not the character actually dies "For real" within continuity. It's things like "But I was never dead at all! It was really a clone/robot/psychic replicant/trick!" that create the impression of death being impermanent far more than actual legit resurrections.

Agreed, definitely. Any event where the reader believes the hero is dead is dead.

Devonix
2012-06-07, 08:21 AM
Agreed, definitely. Any event where the reader believes the hero is dead is dead.

But that only boosts her death count up to 3 times. I am just saying that when a character is only dead for a single panel and then back on the next page completely on their own power of regeneration... That doesn't count as dead.

Counting the Emperor Joker storyline Batman died dozens of times. Not counting that he's still died more than Jean Grey even including the silliness of that link.

Closet_Skeleton
2012-06-07, 09:11 AM
One of the "Deaths" was an alternate universe character.

A timeline that was erased by time travel may be an 'alternate universe' but its not 'out of continuity' either.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-07, 09:36 AM

Which is why I began by noting how Jean Grey has died twice. At the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga, retcon be damned how they brought her back and weaseled her out of the blood of billions, and at the end of Morrison's run at the hand of "Xorneto." They even had an entire mini-series to establish that one in an Ascend to Higher Existence fashion so she could come back any time she chose.

The delusion though is that Jean did this every issue/storyline when she's actually on the low end for such trickery despite having better cause.

But the ending, indeed the whole final two storylines, were appalling

Oh quite so.

Cen
2012-06-07, 10:13 AM
But that only boosts her death count up to 3 times. I am just saying that when a character is only dead for a single panel and then back on the next page completely on their own power of regeneration... That doesn't count as dead.

so Mr. Immortal never died? not even once?

Devonix
2012-06-07, 06:52 PM
so Mr. Immortal never died? not even once?

Well he is Mr. Immortal, not Mr. multiple deaths. ;)

DiscipleofBob
2012-06-08, 08:13 AM
Well he is Mr. Immortal, not Mr. multiple deaths. ;)

In that case, where does Multiple Man fall on the spectrum? :smallconfused: