PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf: The Apocalypse-Chicago OOC

Pages : [1] 2

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 02:22 PM
Alright, here is the OOC thread. Before the IC is made, a few things need to be determined.

1: To make things more compatible with your vampire counterparts, I would like you all to select a Nature and a Demeanor. They can be found in the players guide or you can base them off one's found in Vampire. If you don't have one of these, please let me know.

2: A pack hierarchy needs to be established. A alpha and a Beta. I'm guessing the Shadow Lord Ahroun will take Alpha. The only other possibility I see is the Galliard Glass walker, and it doesn't strike me as a role he would take.

3: A rough story of how your pack came together, and located in the Chicago suburbs. You have a fair degree of openness in this aspect.

4: I would like good details on any contacts you have, any job you might possess, or anything else that should interfere with your pack life.

5: Pick a color. You get first pick before the vampires.

Edit: 6: If you would like to edit yourselves to have a totem, now would be the time.

EDIT 2: Needed a place to put this for organization
Characters

Laughs-at-Blood (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18970?message=true)
Heart of the Storm (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19625?message=true)
Hour-Tales (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18361?message=true)
Soft-Paws (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18437?message=true)
Deepfang (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18418)
Trashcan Sam (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18365?message=true)
Jackdaw (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18391)

NotScaryBats
2012-06-05, 02:47 PM
1. NATURE: Traditionalist. Emily believes firmly in the laws and truth behind the Litany and the Garou Nation. She strives to uphold what it is to be Garou.
DEMEANOR: Penitent. Emily is ashamed of her Metis birth. She is ashamed of her social anxiety. Though it isn't the best way to handle these feelings, she has assumed a self-abasing, masochistic outlook on life. This is what most people see when they look at her.

2. I don't really remember what role 'Beta' plays. Is it second in command, or something more specific? Emily could be an adviser, since she knows a fair amount about Garou culture, and is difficult to deceive. If she has an alpha to hide behind, she could be valuable.

3. Is there a Caern around here? Perhaps the group was somewhat constructed by elders? She could have known our Shadow Lord from before, and hung around him. Then, when the city dwellers (who likely knew each other from Bone Gnawer culture) met, it was a melding of two somewhat disparate groups?

4. Two dots of kinfolk -- the family that adopted her aren't related to her by blood. They are a human family of Children of Gaia kinfolk. They raised Emily from a baby.
One dot of Resources -- a very part time gig at the local park (probably like a 50 minute drive out of town? I've never been to Chicago...) where she teaches children about nature, does events, etc. Like an assistant ranger. If the Caern is located at the park, then it could be involved with the Sept, if not then it is just a mundane position. Though Emily is young, she is quite knowledgeable.

5. I choose "DARKGREEN"

ALSO, to post my character sheet for posterity...
Emily "Softpaws" Windham (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18437) the Metis Children of Gaia Philodox.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 02:53 PM
I could just be remembering things wrong. But yes, Beta is essentially who calls the shots when Alpha is not around and is usually a adviser.

And yes, we shall assume there is a Caern somewhere in Chicago. Based on it's size, there likely will be two. One controlled by glass walkers and one controlled by Bone Gnawers (in a park). But you wouldn't necessarily know their exact location.

And there would likely be two more somewhere in the Suburbs.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-05, 03:34 PM
Well, Emily would be available to be a Beta, then, depending on what the rest of the pack feels.

As for how we all met up, we could have the Bone Gnawers of the one Caern matched up in an 'exchange program' kind of thing to develop ties betwixt the two Caerns in the city. Emily wasn't raised in the city, but if I remember correctly calling together a pack is a big deal, so maybe she was approximately of age, the call went out for cubs to meet and form a pack, and the characters fell in with one another from there?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 03:42 PM
I try to interpret the WoD largely on the fiction they produce in their books. So my understanding is that it's not uncommon for a pack to be of mixed tribes. Just a group of individuals who came together for one reason or another, and found they fit quite nicely so they stayed together.

Now Septs on the other hand... tend to be more dominated by Tribes. There are septs inside the city that you will be dealing with, but you won't automatically get to know them.

if someone has a different understanding of the matter, I am open ears.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-05, 03:46 PM
Okay, that sounds good. So maybe we met at a Moot, liked each other, and joined up?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 03:53 PM
Entirely possible but also open to the other players

hayabusa
2012-06-05, 04:17 PM
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18361

Nature: Pedagogue (His true nature is best served helping others with the knowledge and tales that he has accumulated in his life.)
Demeanor: Conformer (Outwardly, he puts on a slight facade of being the one who would never challenge the established order of things despite how he really feels. Every now and then, this facade will slip)

Both are taken from the VTM corebook, since I don't have the Werewolf player's guide. About every single tribebook (which, thanks to garage sales, I owned before getting the core book), but not the Player's Guide.

Psiclone: That idea sounds pretty good to me.

"Speaking color"

Gerald Robinson: The head of the local historical society and a supporter of the local Parks and Recreation board, Jerry Robinson has been a friend of Jason's for the past few years. When researching local history, even on the esoteric side, Jerry's one of the men to go to.

Brief Biography

Spending the majority of his life being bounced around from various foster home to foster home, Jason Davis never thought that his life would be anything other than mundane and filled with an inability to really connect with people and poverty. After all, that's what was expected of him, wasn't it?

He did, however, love to read and used the various fictional worlds that existed in books as a sort of escapism. It was odd, however, that he always seemed to have a basic feeling of how the story was going to turn out within the first page on almost every book.

He was also blessed with a great creativity and loved writing his own short stories and poems as a child. It was then that the nightmares started. Running through the woods, the taste of blood and the thrill of the hunt. At first thought, they were simply the products of his very active imaginations, but an incident when he was twelve changed all of that. After learning that he'd be removed from the foster family that he'd been with for the past four years, the dream became even more vivid. He dreamed that he was taller than any other man and more powerful than ten. He raced through the streets of the town and devoured several small animals in his rage.

The newspaper the next morning about a rash of pet mutilations were particularly disturbing.

It was then that a local tribe of Garou realized that perhaps they had missed a wayward cub along the way. Brought into the family and taught about what he was, Jason absorbed the knowledge eagerly. At least now he would have some sort of purpose in life.

In recent years, Jason has adapted the odd balance between a "normal" human life and the life of his true heritage. He joined the Glass Walker, tribe, whom he jokes have just become too damned used to city life to change. Living in Chicago, Jason has made a brief career as an author of local history, a job he also intends to do in his pack.

Burnheart
2012-06-05, 04:51 PM
Okay here's my sheet. (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18365?message=true)

My Nature and Demeanor are both Confidant and i'll speak with an Indigo voice also, i'm fine with your met at a moot idea psiclone though i noticed a slight problem with your sheet, you've not yet added your starting Renown which for a Philodox is Honour 3.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-05, 05:21 PM
Ah, so I did. Thanks for pointing that out.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-05, 05:26 PM
Craig "DeepFang" Rignon (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18418)

1. Nature: Director
Demeanor: Autocrat

2. DeepFang wants to be Alpha. He proposes The Galliard as his Beta (my groups have always played it that Alpha is the decision maker, the beta takes control when the Allha is indisposed. In situations where the pack splits up the Beta and Alpha don't typically stay in the same group, they each lead a respective faction). The Theurge should be our Pack ritemaster/spirit negotiator.

3. In my interpretation, there aren't many garou these days, so mixed packs are more and more common, especially if they were all recently changed. DeepFang would have been at one of the Caerns for several years, so he was probably waiting to be placed in a pack. Emily having kinfolk family probably got placed with DeepFang while they spent time together at the Caern.

4. His mother who lives in the Chicago suburbs. No job. Some high school friends that he most likely doesn't keep in contact with.

5. SeaGreen will be his speaking color

6. If we want a totem I would be willing to take an additional 2-3 points of flaws to buy the same number of totem points. Is anyone else willing to contribute to a totem?

Burnheart
2012-06-05, 06:24 PM
6. If we want a totem I would be willing to take an additional 2-3 points of flaws to buy the same number of totem points. Is anyone else willing to contribute to a totem?

I'd be willing to drop 1 point of willpower for 1 point of Pack Totem.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-05, 06:39 PM
Craig "DeepFang" Rignon (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18418)

3. In my interpretation, there aren't many garou these days, so mixed packs are more and more common, especially if they were all recently changed. DeepFang would have been at one of the Caerns for several years, so he was probably waiting to be placed in a pack. Emily having kinfolk family probably got placed with DeepFang while they spent time together at the Caern.

That is certainly true in your character's perspective... But not necessarily the truth.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-05, 08:13 PM
For those not familiar with the various totems the basic options are pretty straight forward. Each totem gives a maijor bonus and one or more lesser bonuses. The major bonuses are pools of willpower, some give an increase to an attribute, some give pools of rage, and then there's some that grant interesting bonuses in the umbra. The lesser bonuses are usually Increases to dice pools (and usable only by one pack member at a time).

In my opinion, I think the permanent bonuses to attributes are better than getting 5 rage and willpower for the party per story. Many of the war totems give increases to physical attributes and the cunning totems give increases to manipulation.

Some choices I like are:

1. Boar: 1 stamina (everyone), +2 brawl (one at a time)
2. Fenris: 1 in any physical attribute (everyone), +2 honor reknown (at totem acceptance of pack)
3. Fox: 1 manipulation (everyone), 2 stealth/streetwise, 3 subterfuge (one at a time)

I will keep looking but those where the three that I liked the best initially.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-05, 08:55 PM
Three more interesting totems:

4. Sphinx: 1 wits (all), +3 enigmas (one at a time)
5. Bull: 1 Str (all), 1 glory (all once), 1 brawl (one at a time)
6. Weasel: 1 Dex (all), 1 dodge (one at a time), 1 dice bite damage (one at a time)

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions?

Burnheart
2012-06-06, 09:04 AM
I like the look of Fenris or Sphinx best but what are the Totem points costs of these things?

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 09:40 AM
I like Boar a lot, but I don't think he's very beneficial to the whole group, a disproportionate amount of his bonuses would be used by my character. Boar costs 5.

Fenris has a really restrictive ban (Never pass up a fight), costs 5.

Fox costs 7

Weasel costs 7

Bull costs 6

Sphinx costs 7, I really like sphinx, enigmas can be used by everyone when meditating for more gnosis, and the wits is a stat that everyone would find use for.

My vote would be Boar then Sphinx.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-06, 11:55 AM
Assuming we get into a fight, and I win initiative, use our brawl points and make a bite attack. Would someone else have to wait until next turn for me to give them back up before s/he could use them?

XianTheCoder
2012-06-06, 12:03 PM
Good Question. The exact wording is:

"Traits are given on a per-turn basis, and they are available to one pack member at a time. The pack member with the power designates who can use it the following turn, in effect, handing it off to another packmate."

To me that reads 1 user per round, so if you won initiative and had the brawl bonus you could attack, but if you then handed it off to me I could not use it until the second round of combat.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-06, 12:06 PM
Okay, sounds good. Yeah, Boar works fine for me, then. I will kick two points into pack Totem

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-06, 12:09 PM
Good Question. The exact wording is:

"Traits are given on a per-turn basis, and they are available to one pack member at a time. The pack member with the power designates who can use it the following turn, in effect, handing it off to another packmate."

To me that reads 1 user per round, so if you won initiative and had the brawl bonus you could attack, but if you then handed it off to me I could not use it until the second round of combat.

that is how i read it as well.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-07, 10:33 AM
Once we hear from Ichneumon I'm going to get this game going. So hopefully she comes back soon....

Wouldn't you all be surprised if I started the game with...

You have discovered where a coven of vampires is staying. Floor 91 of trump tower. Your elders let you into the stock room of weapons and then task you with taking them out.:smallamused:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-07, 11:15 AM
Wouldn't you all be surprised if I started the game with...

You have discovered where a coven of vampires is staying. Floor 91 of trump tower. Your elders let you into the stock room of weapons and then task you with taking them out.:smallamused:

You mean we're not? That's ok, that's what meta-gaming is for...

Hey Guys! I feel like screwing around with Trump, he's totally off message and hurting Mitt Romney's chances of getting elected president. Let's go trash the top floor of his tower in the city, just to get back at him. Oh yeah... why don't we bring grenades, flamethrowers, and klaives... you know... in case the wyrm is there, or something. Yes? Great, let's go!

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-07, 11:34 AM
1) I love it.

2) Jokes on you. Trump tower has 97 floors. :smallamused:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-07, 11:48 AM
1) I love it.

2) Jokes on you. Trump tower has 97 floors. :smallamused:

Touche....

Well, it's way higher than the Trump Tower I have down the street from me... I think this one only has like 40 floors. He's got a lot of towers though... I used to work near the one on wallstreet... that thing is massive.... anda tad bit gaudy.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-07, 12:50 PM
Touche....

Well, it's way higher than the Trump Tower I have down the street from me... I think this one only has like 40 floors. He's got a lot of towers though... I used to work near the one on wallstreet... that thing is massive.... anda tad bit gaudy.

Massive and a tad gaudy. Just like Trump's ego:smallwink:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-07, 07:05 PM
Massive and a tad gaudy. Just like Trump's ego:smallwink:

and personality... and hair...

XianTheCoder
2012-06-08, 11:42 AM
How long are you giving Ich? In the game she's running I haven't seen a post from her in well over a week and I haven't seen her online.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-08, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I didn't plan on giving her much more time. A real shame however, I really liked her characters.

I will put the IC up tonight, with or without her.:smallfrown:

hayabusa
2012-06-08, 01:15 PM
Sad to see us lose a player, but I'm glad that we can et started with our Werewolf characters.

Side note: If you do get the IC thread up today, I won't be able to post in it until tomorrow. I have a Call of Cthulhu game tonight with some friends.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-08, 02:04 PM
I will try to put it up late tonight, so you aren't far behind anyone else. On a bright note, if she doesn't show up I have a really good idea for the opening story. :smalltongue:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-08, 08:49 PM
And the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245929) has finally come up. The starting story may have changed, but it should be interesting...

NotScaryBats
2012-06-09, 03:50 AM
I've just got to say, the way you do the pictures in your posts is really cool. We haven't known one another for long, but I am quite impressed so far.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-09, 08:15 AM
Thank you. Description is not necessarily my strongest of points, and as they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. :smallwink: So I just try to show what I have imagined in my head.

hayabusa
2012-06-09, 11:19 AM
Hello all. Back from Cthulhu and garage sales but not quite ready to post. I'm going to let this conversation go forward just a bit more before my character shows up, so that he's actually a little bit late.

As for Cthulhu? Six characters started off, four were killed and two managed to survive but are completely mad after glimpsing the true form of Nyarlathotep. And there's a Gug loose in Seattle...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-09, 11:28 AM
don't feel obligated for your character to run late, I just put that because you said you wouldn't be posting last night:smallwink:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-09, 07:25 PM
I assume everyone has a cellphone?

NotScaryBats
2012-06-09, 07:36 PM
Softpaws has a cell phone. She works part time, and uses her cash flow mostly for food and her phone bill, but she also pays some of the rent.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-09, 08:20 PM
1) remember that most garou dislike technology. Most find tech very strange and distrust it.

2) bone gnawers have 0 starting resources. Neither trashcan or jackdaw can afford a cell phone.

So no, sorry it's not the easy. :p
Honestly i see a house phone and the glass walker having a cell phone. no one else.But i will leave that ultimately up to you.

Burnheart
2012-06-09, 08:28 PM
1) remember that most garou dislike technology. Most find tech very strange and dislike it.

2) bone gnawers have 0 starting resources. Neither trashcan or jackdaw can afford a cell phone.

So no, sorry it's not the easy. :p
Honestly i see a house phone and the glass walker having a cell phone. no one else.But i will leave that ultimately up to you.

Thats how i see it too.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-09, 08:37 PM
Homids tend to be less skeptical about technology, so arguably any homid who could afford a phone might have one.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-09, 10:38 PM
Hmmm, does the fifteen year old girlness override the Garouness?

In this case, I'd suspect it does. Softpaws went through a few years of the public school system in the 2000's, so she would definitely use her resources to get a $50/month or so phone plan.

To... Text people?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-09, 11:21 PM
The majority of the Garou nation is Homid based on the bithrates they present. Supposedly the wolf inside just makes the leary of human society, so they don't really fit in anywhere until their first change. But like i said, its up to each of you individually. Given softpaws backstory, i don't think it's out of the question to own a cell phone. Although i would ask, what is your job? unless you have fake papers, there is no way a 15 year old could be a park ranger...

NotScaryBats
2012-06-09, 11:43 PM
No, she isn't actually a park ranger.

She's sort of an assistant, who is working through a program to 'get the troubled youth of the city exposed to nature'

Obviously, she excelled in the program, knowing quite a bit about nature and being a moderately reliable person (for a teen), so she was offered to stay on as a paid volunteer. She assists with managerial duties, teaches / assists with workshops, cleans, etc.

It's a real thing in Southern California; my step brother did it.

Is that a reasonable source of resources 1, or should I come up with something else?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 08:59 AM
i can deal with that. I think Illinois has some age restriction stuff that makes it hard to get a job before age 16, but its not something i really care to worry about. So its fine. you likely work at the bird sanctuary thats a mile from your house.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 11:05 AM
did you guys officially purchase a totem?

NotScaryBats
2012-06-10, 11:52 AM
I put two dots into it, and assume my pack mates invested as they said they would.

Burnheart
2012-06-10, 12:10 PM
I picked up 1 dot of Totem like i said i would, so i assume we have.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 02:52 PM
I've got 2-3 dots to spend... Was just waiting on any other totem thoughts out of the ones I listed. We have 2 with first picks for boar, and we have 1 first pick and 1 second pick for sphinx... Was hoping at least one other person would weigh in with thoughts since the two totems are close, amongst the three of us that commented.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-10, 03:14 PM
Um, both are good. I don't really mind one way or another, but what are the themes and bans etc of the two?

It doesn't look like we're a very combat-oriented pack, so if Boar is all about combat then Sphinx would be a better fit IMHO.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 04:29 PM
The difference are as follows:

Sphinx:
Cost: 7
Permanent Stat Boost: 1 wits
Skill boost: 3 enigma
Reknown Boost: 1 temporary honor
Ban: can not refuse a riddle challenge

Boar:
Cost: 5
Permanent Stat Boost: 1 stamina
Skill Boost: 2 Brawl
Renown Boost: None
Ban: Can not hunt or eat boar/pig/pork/ham

Personally I think the renown bonus is fairly worthless. Stamina and wits are both extremely important attributes for werewolves so I consider them even. The ban on sphinx is definitely more inconvenient. Enigma is usable by everyone, but how often will it really be rolled? We can each meditate and use it for gnosis recovery but other than that I thibk it's use is going to be reserved to a select few occassions by the person with the largest enigmas dice pool to start. Brawl is something usable by everyone, while it has a specialized purpose, it's probably going to be used more often than enigmas.

So I think boar is cheaper, has a comparable stat boost, more convenient ban, with a more oftenly used skill boost.

Burnheart
2012-06-10, 05:25 PM
Boar works fine for me Xian.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 05:49 PM
Anyone else have an opinion or has an objection to Boar?

NotScaryBats
2012-06-10, 06:02 PM
Shopping at the Kosher grocery store is okay with Softpaws. Hebrew National franks are some of the best hot dogs around, though beef and turkey bacon don't even hold a candle to the real thing.

Ah well, the sacrifices we make.

Let's go boars...!

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 06:21 PM
Ok then I'll allocate 2 dots (which adds up to the 5 needed) and Boar is our totem.

We all get a stamina dot

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 07:00 PM
Shopping at the Kosher grocery store is okay with Softpaws. Hebrew National franks are some of the best hot dogs around, though beef and turkey bacon don't even hold a candle to the real thing.

Ah well, the sacrifices we make.

Let's go boars...!

Ham & eggs, to the chicken; a days hard work. To the pig; a lifetime commitment. :D

NotScaryBats
2012-06-10, 08:01 PM
Touché, CowMasterTrojan

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 08:47 PM
If you have 2 dots in resources, you may have a used vehicle or a new vehicle that you need to make payments on.... your choice.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 09:19 PM
Used is adequate

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 09:36 PM
http://tcbauto.site.aplus.net/cars/100_0818.jpg

Slightly rusted
15 year old Ford Explorer
290,000 miles
Worth 1,200$

Totally just as good as a new car :smallbiggrin:
I am of course joking.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 09:42 PM
290k miles.... Jeesh... And a Ford, that's actually impressive.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-10, 10:00 PM
what is your exact destination?

XianTheCoder
2012-06-10, 10:47 PM
The place where he said he was meeting them, Prairie Lake Park.

hayabusa
2012-06-11, 01:53 PM
http://tcbauto.site.aplus.net/cars/100_0818.jpg

Slightly rusted
15 year old Ford Explorer
290,000 miles
Worth 1,200$

Totally just as good as a new car :smallbiggrin:
I am of course joking.

I also have a feeling that it will conveniently crap out on us a couple of times...

:P

XianTheCoder
2012-06-12, 12:37 AM
Fixing my rolls

Shift: [roll0]

Perception: [roll1]

EDIT: sigh...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-12, 12:57 AM
I feel stupid for asking this, but what do you type so it displays the die rolls?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-12, 12:58 AM
Fixing my rolls

Shift: [roll0]

Perception: [roll1]

EDIT: sigh...

I feel your pain. It seems like when you start out, the die rolling gods do not favor you.

Deepfang manages to take his Glabo form, but does not see the squirrel

NotScaryBats
2012-06-12, 07:49 AM
Rollv xd10 \roll

The v makes each die show up

Burnheart
2012-06-12, 08:42 AM
Rollv xd10 \roll

The v makes each die show up

you need to put a v in both parts though like this: xd10

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-12, 08:44 AM
[roll0]

Thanks guys

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-13, 11:55 PM
Just for referencing in my mind, current forms of everyone

Deep Fang-Glabro
Hour Tales -Glabro
Soft paws-Hispo
Trashcan-Lupus

NotScaryBats
2012-06-14, 12:58 PM
A couple system questions (clarifying if my memory is a house rule or not -- we played Exalted, nWoD and oWoD, then combined some of the smoothness of n with the cool setting of o to make a homebrew game, so that is the cause of my confusion)

1:) You can spend as much Rage a turn as you have Dexterity
1a:) Spending a Rage for an extra action makes you go immediately ie at the same initiative count

2:) 10s are two successes, 1s subtract a success
2a:) -1 or more successes is a botch

3:) Spending a Willpower gives an automatic success to a roll (like, one free success)
3a:) Can't spend WP on dmg rolls

I think that is all that springs to mind at the moment.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-14, 01:17 PM
1 Rage or Gnosis per turn (only exceptions are to activate certain fetishes when listed)

I believe Rage actions go at the end of the order

10's "explode", you get 1 success and get to reroll them, but ONLY if you have a speciality related to the roll, otherwise it is 1 success and no reroll (that may be the oWoD ruling, but I think it's right)

1's basically always take away a success, negative successes are a botch

Spending a willpower gives you 3 additional dice to a roll (an automatic success was oWoD ruling)

Not sure about spending willpower to damage rolls.

Burnheart
2012-06-14, 01:43 PM

Not quite, its a botch if you roll a 1 without any successes, its possible to get negative successes by rolling a successes and a bunch of 1's but thats just a normal failure.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-14, 01:47 PM
I vaguely recall a 'Rage Round' that we used early on, but that was back when initiative was Wits+Alertness Difficulty 4.

I know we changed from that initiative roll relatively early on, but am fuzzy on the details.

I read "the squirrel is raging" as 'the squirrel spends a rage for an extra action' in the IC, which made me conclude that the actions go at the same time (claw and bite in this case)

We are playing oWoD, right?

Just a note of clarification, I really have no preference for one set / variant of the rules and am just trying to make sure I understand them as we're playing them. I'm not trying to complain or nitpick or anything. So far, I think the game has gone great :)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-14, 02:59 PM
Wow, I picked a very bad day to be away from the computer all day.

A couple system questions (clarifying if my memory is a house rule or not -- we played Exalted, nWoD and oWoD, then combined some of the smoothness of n with the cool setting of o to make a homebrew game, so that is the cause of my confusion)

1:) You can spend as much Rage a turn as you have Dexterity
1a:) Spending a Rage for an extra action makes you go immediately ie at the same initiative count

2:) 10s are two successes, 1s subtract a success
2a:) -1 or more successes is a botch

3:) Spending a Willpower gives an automatic success to a roll (like, one free success)
3a:) Can't spend WP on dmg rolls

I think that is all that springs to mind at the moment.

1) Incorrect, you may spend up to half your rage score, rounded up.
1a) You may only spend rage at the beginning of your turn, and only in times of stress.

2) a roll of 10 counts as two successes. A roll of 1 subtracts on one successful dice (Thus, if you only have a 10 and a 1, you have no successes).

3)Correct on both

1 Rage or Gnosis per turn (only exceptions are to activate certain fetishes when listed)

I believe Rage actions go at the end of the order

10's "explode", you get 1 success and get to reroll them, but ONLY if you have a speciality related to the roll, otherwise it is 1 success and no reroll (that may be the oWoD ruling, but I think it's right)

Spending a willpower gives you 3 additional dice to a roll (an automatic success was oWoD ruling)

Not sure about spending willpower to damage rolls.

There is no restriction of 1 on rage per turn unless your max rage is 2.

If by explode, you mean you get to roll another dice, then yes if it's a specialty. A 10 still counts as two successes.

Spending willpower is one automatic success. This is OwoD.

As stated above, no will power on damage. I don't know if it's a official ruling, but it's better for the player this way.

Not quite, its a botch if you roll a 1 without any successes, its possible to get negative successes by rolling a successes and a bunch of 1's but thats just a normal failure.
Negative. As stated, 1's take away a successful die. So if the difficulty is 7, if you roll 10,8,3,1,1,1 then that is a botch because it has -1 successes. Thankfully you cannot botch damage.

I vaguely recall a 'Rage Round' that we used early on, but that was back when initiative was Wits+Alertness Difficulty 4.

I know we changed from that initiative roll relatively early on, but am fuzzy on the details.

I read "the squirrel is raging" as 'the squirrel spends a rage for an extra action' in the IC, which made me conclude that the actions go at the same time (claw and bite in this case)

Just a note of clarification, I really have no preference for one set / variant of the rules and am just trying to make sure I understand them as we're playing them. I'm not trying to complain or nitpick or anything. So far, I think the game has gone great :)
I gave the surprise attack on Deep Fang, which may have been wrong of me in hindsight. But initiative never changed. When we rolled, we stuck to it.

The squirrel was considered a Fomorri, which is a normal creature empowered by the wyrm. One of the selected abilities was rage points, and he did indeed use them to make multiple attacks. Had he not been using rage, his first attack would have had a -2 to the dice roll on his first attack and a -3 to his second attack.

I'm glad you're having fun, before we do another combat we are gonna have a quick rundown of how it is supposed to work to make sure it goes right.

Burnheart
2012-06-14, 03:00 PM

We are :smallsmile: I think Xian is just getting mixed up because he's been reading the nWoD werewolf rules for another PbP game we're both in :smalltongue:

Burnheart
2012-06-14, 03:21 PM
Negative. As stated, 1's take away a successful die. So if the difficulty is 7, if you roll 10,8,3,1,1,1 then that is a botch because it has -1 successes. Thankfully you cannot botch damage.

Actually my copy of the rules (the Revised edition) says something different quotes here:

To simulate such failures, Werewolf employs the “rule of one,” otherwise known as botching. When a die comes up a 1, that 1 cancels out a success. Take
the 1 die and any one success, and set them both aside.

So it says 1's cancal out Success not dice something i was already aware of, i was infact responding to Xians point about the other part of botching which is spectacular failure, relevant quote here:

If a roll gives up no successes in the first place, yet one or more 1s show up, you have a botch. In other words, if all of your dice land with no successes
showing and any of them is a 1, you have just botched that action. Even one success can cancel the botch out. If you have one success and seven 1s on your roll, it’s still just a failure. It is only when you roll no successes that botches occur.

Xian stated that you can get a spectacular failure botch on negative successes, which is not quite correct.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-14, 03:50 PM
I'm sorry, you are correct about botches.

The thing with 1's cancelling out a die I will find at a later time when I have more time to find it. But I specifically remember seeing that wording based on how I stated it.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-14, 04:26 PM
We are :smallsmile: I think Xian is just getting mixed up because he's been reading the nWoD werewolf rules for another PbP game we're both in :smalltongue:

Yeah you are right.... I've been a little overwhelmed with a lot of different things the last 3 weeks, and my mind id clearly starting to breakdown.

Burnheart
2012-06-14, 06:16 PM
Yeah you are right.... I've been a little overwhelmed with a lot of different things the last 3 weeks, and my mind id clearly starting to breakdown.

Nothing too bad i hope Xian? :smallfrown:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-14, 07:16 PM
Nothing too bad i hope Xian? :smallfrown:

All good stuff, just a lot of it. Going to Cancun for two weeks on Sunday, my soon to be wife is in full wedding plannning mode, she also just got licensed so I am working on getting her private practice up and running, the property management company that I own has had 80% turnover in occupancy over the last month so I have had contractors doing work that I've had to manage as well as dealing with the rerentals. Lets not forget my brother is trying to talk me into buying the restaurant I worked at when I was in high school and college because the owners want to sell and he has this crazy idea that he's qualified to run it. And on top of all of that, My trading desk (which is my day job) decided to close up shop and I have had 4 firms pursuing me, Since I am going to Cancun on Sunday they have all been aggressively trying to get me to sign on with them before I leave.... I've had more interviews in one week then I have had in my entire life, and every interview is with CEOs and Presidents where I am giving presentations on how I run my business and what resources I need. And then somehow I found myself in 7 PbP games... how that happened I am not exactly sure.

Thankfully I signed on with a new firm today, the contractors completed the work yesterday, and all the new leases for the new tenants have been signed. My brothers mad at me, but I think I made it clear enough I wasn't buying the restaurant, and my wife... well she's still annoying me, but I have been able to push off the wedding stuff and the private practice stuff with a nice "lets talk about it after vacation".

Burnheart
2012-06-15, 08:16 AM
Wow you have been busy :smalltongue: Glad to hear everythings going so well for you man :smallsmile:

XianTheCoder
2012-06-16, 04:26 PM
How high up in the tree are they? is this a climbable tree in any form?

Who's got a bow?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-16, 04:34 PM
they are maybe 15-20 feet off the ground. Yes, the trees are indeed climbable. They wouldn't support many of you in Crinos however.

To my knowledge, no one has ranged weapons.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-16, 04:57 PM
Hence the laughter, I suppose.
I was waiting for Mr "I have a plan" to let us know what he thought up.

XianTheCoder
2012-06-17, 08:42 AM
Sadly it would be bad form to chop the tree down...

Anyone have any thoughts? We can't leave wyrm spawn standing.

hayabusa
2012-06-17, 09:47 AM
Sadly it would be bad form to chop the tree down...

Anyone have any thoughts? We can't leave wyrm spawn standing.

Who said anything about a whole tree?

How close are the branchs in relation to each other?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-17, 10:17 AM
As I said, the branches interlink. So very close.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-19, 11:38 AM
As hour-tales climbs the tree in Crinos, where are the other members? Also, is it safe to assume tales has taken the brawl benefit from boar?

hayabusa
2012-06-19, 12:15 PM
As I said, the branches interlink. So very close.

All right. Just wanted to check and make sure. I don't know about the totem and whether or not my character has it or not.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-19, 12:41 PM
Softpaws is under the tree, as said in ic, and yes she would give it to him when she saw what he was up to

XianTheCoder
2012-06-20, 01:39 AM
Sorry for the delay, I was out at the mayan ruins all day with limited signal... Beautiful trip, I highly reccommend it.

While he's not wild about the plan, they are limited in options so Deep Fang would be standing near the base of the tree, ready to pounce on anything that falls.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-20, 02:03 AM
Um, nice attack roll...
<.<;;

XianTheCoder
2012-06-20, 02:24 AM
I have literally failed or botched every roll in both this game and the vampire game (except for soak rolls). It's becoming really annoying now too...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-20, 02:32 AM
To be fair, the one in the vampire game was only 2 dice... But yeah, you haven't had a lot of luck with dice in this game so far. As a superstitious fool, I would say if you type the R in Roll with a uppercase, change it to lowercase, and vice versa.

I also could say "the wyrm feels your great potential, and hinders you". :smallwink: If it makes you feel better.... Your good rolls will come.

NotScaryBats
2012-06-20, 02:42 AM
Yeah, I once crit my first roll of a game, then was utterly worthless for like two pages.

Occasionally, I'll 'waste' my good rolls on damage, then fail to hit, stuff like that. It is rough though haha.

hayabusa
2012-06-25, 06:25 PM
Why is it wrong for Werewolf to have difficulty 5 bites? They can only do it in wolf, near-wolf and warforms when they have the physiology to bite properly, it should be easier for a wolf like head to bite someone.

"Ah hell" Sam curses softly as he prepers to attack again.

I kinda have to agree on this, CMT, but I'll go with whatever you say. I does make sense to me that a shape-changed werewolf with a canine jaw structure would make it much easier to land a bite in a fight than a human jaw structure.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-25, 06:48 PM
I looked it up. Five is correct. And in your wolf forms, sure I can buy that even though the base difficulty on every attack in Vampire is 6 or higher... But when you're ten feet tall in Crinos, no... not buying it.

I'm not doing any house rules though, I had just said 6 for the rest of the fight, and I've looked it since then and it's still at the start of a round, so we can just move it to 5. I was simply calling BS. That's all.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-27, 08:52 PM
If a player is absent for more than a couple of days, would anyone be opposed to me just making the rolls for them, just to keep the game from stalling out?

Burnheart
2012-06-28, 08:42 AM
fine with me CowMasterTrojan

XianTheCoder
2012-06-28, 10:29 AM
I'm fine with it to

hayabusa
2012-06-28, 11:26 AM
Cool with me.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-06-29, 01:23 AM
hayabusa, Are you grabbing the squirrel or clawing him? if you're clawing at him, roll for damage.

Psiclone and Burnheart can make their rolls. I will put the squirrel rolls up tomorrow night and hopefully we can get this combat finished quickly.

hayabusa
2012-06-29, 08:20 AM
hayabusa, Are you grabbing the squirrel or clawing him? if you're clawing at him, roll for damage.

Psiclone and Burnheart can make their rolls. I will put the squirrel rolls up tomorrow night and hopefully we can get this combat finished quickly.

Grabbing at it.

NotScaryBats
2012-07-06, 04:36 PM
First, I didn't put a /roll just a roll
Then, I responded too quickly, and had to wait 7 seconds -- which apparently flubbed my roll again
Finally, I succeeded, and got like a million successes.

Sorry about that, I didn't want to go deleting posts because I have this unsettling feeling people will think I'm cheating somehow if I do that.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-07-06, 04:42 PM
You're fine. Just leave it. It messes us all up.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-01, 02:54 AM
So I would like to apologize to you two. My posting for these games have been terrible as of late, and it is due to a large amount of RL issues with my health, but I am still very sorry. So if you haven't quit on me, let me say thank you. I have a treatment on Thursday, which should help my health come back rather quickly after that. Don't expect anything Thursday as I likely will be exhausted, but I am hoping I will be up for some big posts and long responses to the PM's I have to answer on Friday.

I have concluded that we lost Xian. Leaving Softpaws in charge of the pack for the time being. I have some more players on the wing for werewolf, but I haven't had time to look over them and figure out how to get them into the game.

If you would like, I can get more players for the vampire game. But I believe I can run that with just you two if you would prefer. It's up to you guys.

Again, very sorry.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-01, 04:22 AM
Psssh, dude don't even worry about it <3

I'd noticed your absence, but it happens to all of us for various reasons, so no biggie.

We could have other pcs be shoehorned in as additional pack mates or we could meet umbral explorers, or something. Such continuity issues are easy for me to rationalize; it doesn't bother me to recon stuff.

I hope you feel better! You have my non-donominational support!!

Hugs

XianTheCoder
2012-08-01, 02:23 PM
I'm still psuedo around... went on a 2 week vacation and then immediately started a new job running a department, so I've been a little busy. I hadn't seen much activity so I tended not to look in as often as I should have.

hayabusa
2012-08-01, 03:32 PM
Don't worry about it, CMT. Do whatever you need to do to regain your health, even if it means taking more of a hiatus from these games. Good luck on your treatment and when you're ready to resume, so will I.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-01, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not going anywhere :)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-04, 12:44 PM
I'm still psuedo around... went on a 2 week vacation and then immediately started a new job running a department, so I've been a little busy. I hadn't seen much activity so I tended not to look in as often as I should have.
Glad to know you're not gone.

Two questions for you Xian. One, if we pick up activity do you think you will be able to post several times a week? I ask because things become difficult when the supposed leader is silent, and right now Deepfang is conveniently separated from the party. So if not, I can keep him separated and lost for the rest of the day. Then in the future, he just won't leave the house. :smallwink:

Second question, are you still watching the vampire game as well? Or did you not get that link? Are you still in it or out?

hayabusa & Psiclone
Sorry to do this to you, but I'm leaving things paused for the weekend. It's more due to the new players, but if things work right they will be in the game by Monday I hope.

Once again, I am sorry about the Hiatus from my health. I'm not yet back to 100%, but I am better than I was. The main storyline I had in mind for this chronicle didn't really start until adventure 3, and we stalled mid way through one, so that's frustrating. One way or another I will get things moving again real soon.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-04, 05:27 PM
Hey it really is no problem <3

hayabusa
2012-08-04, 09:22 PM
Don't worry about it, CowMasterTrojan.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-09, 06:48 PM
Just goes to show you how a pack can develop holes when it loses members: we had a huge Occult / Ritual guy, and a combat specialist, and now we have neither.

Still, I don't think you could have planned it better, because we very organically lost our packmates and now we have to make due -- just like would actually happen in such a situation. We do have gaps in our specialties, but we would have those gaps, so it makes sense and is actually pretty cool.

hayabusa
2012-08-14, 10:06 PM
Thought that I'd share something amusing and somewhat game related that happened to me today. I was out running errands in my little corner of Mid-Missouri when I noticed that the car in front of me had Illinois plates and a dealer mark/plate holder from Elgin. Of course he or she also had a big MIZZOU (the head campus is in the city where I live) decal on their back window. I know it's just a coincidence, but I found it kinda funny.

BananaPhone
2012-08-15, 12:00 PM
Hey guys - I look forward to writing with you all. Dancing around the bush has been amusing so far.

hayabusa
2012-08-15, 12:07 PM
"I'm Jason Davis," he replies to Lifa. "I doubt that coincidence is behind us being here as well."

By this point, I think everyone has figured it out. So why don't you hop over to their IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245929&page=7) so I can stop translating.:smallbiggrin:

And the OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245577&page=4)

Yeah, I've subscribed to all of the shared world threads just to be able to read the entire story without digging pretty deep in the archives if the games ever die out. And I've seen CMT post soon after myself or psiclone posted in the main thread if he was online at the time. I eventually snuck in and confirmed my thoughts.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I thought my little anecdote didn't post correctly yesterday.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-15, 05:10 PM
Thought that I'd share something amusing and somewhat game related that happened to me today. I was out running errands in my little corner of Mid-Missouri when I noticed that the car in front of me had Illinois plates and a dealer mark/plate holder from Elgin. Of course he or she also had a big MIZZOU (the head campus is in the city where I live) decal on their back window. I know it's just a coincidence, but I found it kinda funny.

LOL. Truly a small world after all. That's funny.

Yeah, I've subscribed to all of the shared world threads just to be able to read the entire story without digging pretty deep in the archives if the games ever die out. And I've seen CMT post soon after myself or psiclone posted in the main thread if he was online at the time. I eventually snuck in and confirmed my thoughts.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I thought my little anecdote didn't post correctly yesterday.
Yeah, I knew you and Daelrog were checking up on my WoD games, so I figured you two would be the first to figure it out.

At this point we've got all the players mixed up with each other now, so I don't even hope to do anything sneaky anymore. :smallwink: I just have to get the interrelated story going.

daelrog
2012-08-15, 09:56 PM
Laughs at Blood (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/18970?message=true)

Even as a young wolf cub Laughs-at-Blood was problematic. A little too playful at times, a little too rough with that play. He was marked early on by his tribe, and none were surprised when the first change happened. He learned quickly the ways of his kind, though for how capable he was, he was three times the pain. He enjoyed playing devil’s advocate, even defending the right for man to build cities, not because he believed it, but because he enjoyed riling the others up. Most of the time he was able to avoid the blows. The time he defended cities, even for the sake of argument, he did not.

However, he had one legitimate position that other Red Talons respected grudgingly, that to defeat something, you must understand it… within limitations of course. As he attained the rank of Cliath, he claimed he had received a vision that he must explore the city, to see why man and the homids cherished them so, to see how best to convince the latter otherwise. He was granted leave to go along with a more experience wolf, but he slipped away, taking with him a rare artifact, a monkey puzzle, to help him.

Suffice to say he is not exactly spoken highly of currently by his tribe mates. Reckless, brash, arrogant, lying, but some elders have faith that he will learn his place. Though Laughs-at-Blood did not truly see a vision, they did.

In wolf-form, Laughs-at-Blood as a fairly mangy wolf, with auburn hair, and shocks of red in stripes across his sides. In homid form, he is none too pleasant to look upon with beedy, dark eyes, a large nose, and freckles all across his face.

Though he has been to smaller cities briefly, this is his first time in a city like Chicago, learning about it, seeing why so many have come to these places.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-15, 10:01 PM
Find the page

NotScaryBats
2012-08-15, 11:34 PM
Softpaws is a Metis Red Talon,** with Pure Breed 2. You might recognize her as such if you see her in lupine form

** a member of the Children of Gaia, but a Red Talon by birth.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-15, 11:35 PM
I thought you were a Metis Children of Gaia Philodox?

Dang ninjas

BananaPhone
2012-08-15, 11:37 PM
Life Freydis, "Heart of the Storm" (http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/19625?message=true)

Image:
Lifa is the archetype Get of Fenris: tall, athletic, angular features and intense blue eyes. With Pure Breed 3 she looks like she should be jumping off the front of a longboat, swinging an axe around her head, rather than walking around in jeans and a jacket.

Background: (warning: unfixed typos)
Life Freydis' case is an anomaly whose frequency is increasing in the modern nights: a lost cub. A child of a Swedish father who migrated to Australia in his early life, she grew up knowing nothing of her Garou heritage of the mystical rage that it pushed through her veins. Developing in middle-class suburbia of Sydney, Lifa was an unusually aggressive and unruly child, and achieved an unusually physical and aggressive vigor that allowed her to compete with many of the boys throughout her high school years, more often-than-not successfully. Though a natural athlete, she also possessed a very high IQ, and biological sciences came naturally to her. Despite seemingly being gifted in every way, Lifa never truly felt a part of her community. Often in her spare time she would slink away and spend hours in solitude within the botanical gardens of her city where she would sit and slip into a heightened sense of things. Life never knew what to make of this spiritual secret, and so chose to keep it to herself to avoid social consequences.

Eventually Lifa parted ways to the United States where she was accepted into med school. Seemingly having shaken off the rough edges of her teenage years, Lifa started to plan out her life and career before a late night armed robbery at a convenience store shattered any chance for a mundane future. Taking a shotgun to the stomach in an armed robbery gone bad, Lifa underwent her first change into a towering rage-beast that left the convenience store, including the would-be burglar, little more than a shredded crater. Awakening bloodied in naked in local woodland, the terrified Lifa was located and taken in by the local Garou sept.

Brought into a new life when she was almost ready to settle into her old one, Lifa took to her new path with great difficulty. The anger that she believed she had buried had resurfaced only now it was enhanced by her fury over having her old life snatched away from her, only to be replaced by one of a violent holy war. To make matters worse, Lifa struggled against the caste system of 'rank', and the idea that her opinions were of little better value than cubs. Marked by the crescent moon, Lifa gradually slipped into her new life-style before undergoing her rite of passage. Hailing from an unknown tribe and surrounded by Black Furies and Children of Gaia, Lifa proved to be quite instrumental in assisting with the dismantling of a human trafficking ring called the Emerald Circle. Boys and girls from poor neighborhoods were routinely abducted and circulated through a network of sadistic men and women that delighted in the constant supply of young flesh to torture. Lifa's knowledge of medical chemicals and their manufacturers used to subdue victims allowed the sept investigators to trace numerous members of the ring before a single, coordinated night cleared away the filth with a storm of violence. Lifa not only saw the corrupted face of the enemy and its pawns, but she could feel the misery of the victims on a spiritual level and the scars it left upon the flows of the earth mother.

When she underwent her rite of passage, Lifa entered the spirit world and came face to face with the totem of her tribe: Great Fenris. Fortified by the nightmares she had seen, Lifa's spirit was tested and accepted by the great wolfs merciless scrutiny. Ushered into the Garou world via a tempest of violence and possessed of an unusual degree of fury for a new Theurge, Lifa was christened Heart-of-the-Storm.

As the only Get of Fenris amongst a sept of two tribes, Lifa was quickly brought into another violent world: Garou politics. Though only a Cliath, Life felt that her knowledge of chemicals and the most effective way to kill humans en masse entitled her to propose ideas that often earned the ire of her sept-mates. Once when she suggested rolling a can of nerve gas into a bikie-club that was trying to establish a drug-dealing operation in a recently purified neighborhood, Life unwittingly provoked the anger of several Furies that found such a suggestion outrageous - to use tactics employed by Pentex would be a violation of all they held dear. Clearly it was the influence of Fenris that made her thick-headed, so they claimed. While most Furies took to ignoring the knowity-upstart, several of the younger ones became violent. In the aftermath of receiving several cracked ribs and scars while breaking one Fury's jaw, Lifa knew that she was a volatile element in the sept.

Gathering her meager belongings, the young Theurge departed for Chicago to join the local war-effort and make a fresh start in the Garou Nation.

BananaPhone
2012-08-20, 11:11 AM
I'll have a post up tomorrow.

daelrog
2012-08-21, 08:08 PM
Last minute vacation where there wasn't any wifi. I'm back though, and will get caught up on this and the VtM game.

BananaPhone
2012-08-21, 09:55 PM
I've always wondered if, with the right amount of Gifts and skills, one could create a pack of werewolf batmans in W;tA. Maybe throw in a low rank gift to play the exciting action music when they swing in through nearby windows.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-25, 10:55 AM
So you are returning to the safe house in Elgin, correct? How are you getting there?

hayabusa
2012-08-25, 11:03 AM
Probably the only way to do that is by taxi, unless we want to walk miles and miles and waste part of the day.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-25, 11:38 AM
The alternate option is to walk/take a taxi to the nearest metra station, which connects to all the outlying suburbs. Chicago is connected by a series of trains, and from a sky view it does have some similarities to a spider web. :smallwink:

A taxi all the way back to your safe house would be rather expensive. Like two hundred bucks or something like that. So that's why I mention it.

hayabusa
2012-08-25, 12:06 PM
The alternate option is to walk/take a taxi to the nearest metra station, which connects to all the outlying suburbs. Chicago is connected by a series of trains, and from a sky view it does have some similarities to a spider web. :smallwink:

A taxi all the way back to your safe house would be rather expensive. Like two hundred bucks or something like that. So that's why I mention it.

Yeah, that's probably a better idea.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-25, 12:11 PM
Okay, that works for me.

BananaPhone
2012-08-25, 12:12 PM
...Me too...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-08-30, 12:04 PM
When the four of you get a chance, i would like to know what your character learned from this little story today. I will be handing out xp shortly. When I hand out xp, i normally double what the book suggests. But for Bananaphone and Daelrog I won't be doubling it this time since you guys basically came in at the last minute. I hope this doesn't leave Hayabusa or psiclone feeling slighted, as they have earned some good xp.

hayabusa
2012-08-30, 12:48 PM
While Jason has learned to be a little more assertive, he's also learned not to rush headlong into things. He was badly wounded when he took the initiative to climb the tree with the evil squirrels on it and would have surely have been killed if it hadn't have been for the pack. It was also charging into the magic-user in the park which caused them to be separated.

BananaPhone
2012-08-30, 05:57 PM
Lifa's learning more about the importance of kinfolk in the garou nation (she's assuming that's who the bartender is), as well as to have a little more faith in the direction of benign spirits.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-30, 08:42 PM
Softpaws has learned self confidence. She excelled in the fights with the squirrels, killing most of them herself. Then, when she lead the charge against the magic user in the park, she doomed her pack. Clearly, she needs to temper her newfound confidence with something.

WoW!! That last roll she hears it perfectly. Nice.

daelrog
2012-08-31, 09:39 PM
Most of what Laughs has learned about is the city itself. Also had a few chuckles at Softpaws expense when they first met (subterfuge maybe?).

hayabusa
2012-09-03, 01:00 PM
Increased Gnosis, Primal Urge and Occult by one, leaving me with 2 xp.

daelrog
2012-09-03, 09:00 PM
Took the Open Seal gift for Ragabash's. Should I find a raccoon spirit, or can it be assumed he had it before and didn't use have anywhere to use it? I'm cool either way.

BananaPhone
2012-09-03, 11:13 PM
We do have a theurge. Im sure im useful for something other than a glorified tailor.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-03, 11:40 PM
A... tailor?
I know Mother's Touch, and I could teach you, I believe.

BananaPhone
2012-09-04, 12:37 AM
Ya, just dedicating clothing so that we're not nude after changing.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-04, 12:48 PM
Hayabusa
Since we have established Jason has a car, there is nothing to stop him from going to the park. What time will you be leaving? Are you going alone?

BananaPhone
You asked if you could summon Boar. Finding a comparable spirit would be possible, but that requires searching in the umbra since you don't have the rite of summoning. The answer would be no, you don't know the ritual yet. You have to wait for deepfang.

As for the Dedicating clothing, is that just for yourself or for the whole pack? Each set of Clothing you do takes a gnosis point, so you will likely want to make a roll to recover some if you just spent 4 gnosis.

The surrounding area in the Umbra is very calm. You find no trouble or wyrm spirits.

Daelrog
You have to enter the Umbra and find a raccoon spirit, but since it's the suburbs that won't exactly be hard. When you find one, do you offer him anything in exchange for his gift?

Everyone
As soon as I get a answer from Hayabusa, I will post again and get things moving once more.

hayabusa
2012-09-04, 03:22 PM
Hayabusa
Since we have established Jason has a car, there is nothing to stop him from going to the park. What time will you be leaving? Are you going alone?

Everyone
As soon as I get a answer from Hayabusa, I will post again and get things moving once more.

He'd probably leave in the morning, hopefully with a few more of his packmates with him to make up a little safety in numbers.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-04, 03:36 PM
Alright. You should probably make some sort of explanation IC, possibly asking for volunteers since this could be a important conversation.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-04, 06:42 PM
I know Mother's Touch. Can't I teach it to another werewolf? Or, do you need a spirit?

daelrog
2012-09-05, 01:16 AM
Laughs at Blood doesn't really have much to offer, so he'd offer the raccoon a favor. Being reckless, Laughs would leave what that favor was very open for the raccoon spirit to choose.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-05, 01:21 AM
The raccoon asks that you knock all the trash cans over on the nearby street the night before pickup, so that his kin can gather food from them. Once done, he will teach you the gift.

Trash pick up is on Wednesday morning.

BananaPhone
2012-09-05, 01:41 AM
That'd be fun to watch him try to justify to the cops.

"It's perfectly simple, Officer, a racoon spirit promised to teach me magical powers if I knocked over all the trash cans for its children to get at the food!"

daelrog
2012-09-05, 05:15 AM
That'll work. Do you want me to start CMT, or do you want to set up the scene?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-05, 11:18 AM
You may just tell me when, and how you do it, and we will be done with it. As hilarious as that would be, police response time is no where fast enough to catch you trash tipping.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-17, 12:23 AM
We are good at Stepping Sideways. Nice job. Unless the Gauntlet's 10, in which case, I fail.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-17, 11:23 AM
So just throwing this out there, but if you ever notice you botched a roll, you can spend will power to make it just a failure. Or even turn it into a success if you will. You just have to do it before I declare what terrible fate is happening because of the botch.

hayabusa
2012-09-17, 12:10 PM
So just throwing this out there, but if you ever notice you botched a roll, you can spend will power to make it just a failure. Or even turn it into a success if you will. You just have to do it before I declare what terrible fate is happening because of the botch.

I think I'll spend those Willpower points. I don't want to end up like my Vampire character, only instead of falling around a bathroom, it'll be tearing into my packmates.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-17, 12:41 PM
Alright, how many are you spending? And all that would have happened was you would have taken a lethal damage and been unable to change for the rest of the scene. Of course that could really suck, depending on where things go.

hayabusa
2012-09-17, 01:55 PM
Alright, how many are you spending? And all that would have happened was you would have taken a lethal damage and been unable to change for the rest of the scene. Of course that could really suck, depending on where things go.

Two points.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-09-17, 02:03 PM
Alright. Don't forget to make a note of that. It will put you in glabro form.

BananaPhone
2012-10-10, 02:36 AM
ooc:
I never would've thought the first physical action dice I'd be rolling would be against my packmate lol

Sunny times ahead guys! :smalltongue:

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 03:24 AM
oh dear, it appears you lost? 3 vs 4?

BananaPhone
2012-10-10, 01:44 PM
Yup. I'll try again next round.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 02:29 PM
Well, you are free to try.
I will post assuming I am able to continue my action and attack the Pattern Spider. If that is not what happens, I will edit my post as necessary.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 02:36 PM
That is correct. You are free to attack the spider. But unless you spend a rage point, it would be considered two actions and suffer a -3 penalty to the dice.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 02:41 PM
Okay, I posted. You can just discount my second action then, or subtract 3 from each. I rolled really well, so owuldn't mind 3 subtracted from each, but since I saw my rolls before saying that...

Feel free to adjudicate as you wish <3

More Extra Dice if needed: [roll0]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 03:41 PM
First, everyone who spent rage on the previous day, you regained 3 rage the previous night when you looked at the moon.

Second, I just wanted to confirm that the rest of the unofficial pack is watching in horror as soft-paws attempts to rip the pattern spider to shreds, correct?

Third, @Psiclone. Yes, you may regain one rage point from this situation since softpaws is so angry over the spiders. When you get a chance, make a rage roll.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 04:17 PM
I don't know if Rage works like WP in that I roll my total or my temporary score.

I started the scene at 4 Rage (full, since the moon last night)

I spent 1 Rage just now to take an extra action, putting me at 3 Temporary Rage Score.

Anyway, [roll0]

At our next rest, I would like to amend my previous exp spending, since I never learned the Gift I was gonna learn, and instead spend 4 exp for another point of Rage. Softpaws has become a bit hot-headed of late, and a punching bag will be purchased in the near future for her to work off some steam.

EDIT was that a roll to frenzy? Aren't successes in that case... a bad thing O.O

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 04:27 PM
Yes, that was indeed a roll to frenzy. :smallamused:

You're good however. You needed slightly higher rolls all around, or a couple 10's to frenzy.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 04:56 PM
lol phew. Losing my cool that much would be a bad thing. What do you need, successes equal to your Rage or something?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 04:58 PM
four successes and you frenzy. Six and you get wyrm tainted too.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure if Laughs knows our pack's pecking order, but unless I'm mistaken, Softpaws was the Beta, and is now acting Alpha.

daelrog
2012-10-10, 08:48 PM
Really? I see. I'll tweak it then.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-10, 11:08 PM
Wow.
I guess I should have refreshed my knowledge of Umbral combat before I went through with this, but damn.

Oh well, I guess a werewolf can't take 1 Pattern Spider let alone 2 :/

I'm -10 to all dice pools?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 11:30 PM
yeah, -10 to all physical dice rolls. You should still be able to use gifts and gnosis without any penalty though.

As I said, spiritual combat doesn't look right to me. These are just pattern spiders, the most basic of weaver spirits, and they have 16 essence. And as far as I can tell, they can use willpower to soak all damage (which they have 6 dice in).

It doesn't seem right. But I thought a test fight would be a good idea.

daelrog
2012-10-10, 11:33 PM
Yeah, took a look myself. Then again, if you have a pack of five lupines, they can as a group tear down pattern spiders two at a time. My guess is that comes into play some.

And fiddle sticks, I am not rolling well for Laughs. :smalltongue:

BananaPhone
2012-10-10, 11:54 PM
Gee wonderful. 18 damage dice and 4 successes...yay.....

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-10, 11:57 PM
It doesn't help with damage dice, but you only need a 4 to hit these guys.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 12:08 AM
Are we using Revised rules? I caved and borrowed the Revised Werewolf Core Book from my brother. Looking at page 237, under Rage:

"Rage also determines the difficulty to harm a spirit. If a werewolf strikes a spirit, her difficulty for damage rolls equals the Spirit's Rage. This difficulty is not normally modified, although the Storyteller has final say, as always."

So, I think your action determines the diff to hit (IE 5 for Bite, 6 for Claw) and the Rage of the Spirit is the diff to damage roll (IE 4 for Pattern Spiders)

It also says Combat Charms end after a turn, so do I break free from this Calcify after my turn, or what? There seems to be no definition of what is or isn't a 'Combat Charm" lol

I can't think of any Gift to use, so I'll just struggle against the Web as my action.

BananaPhone
2012-10-11, 12:08 AM
Hmm, it just occured to me I could've tried to use Str + Intimidate in crinos form to browbeat Softpaws out of it; I'd have 9 dice with Pure Breed 3.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 12:18 AM
Are we using Revised rules? I caved and borrowed the Revised Werewolf Core Book from my brother. Looking at page 237, under Rage:

"Rage also determines the difficulty to harm a spirit. If a werewolf strikes a spirit, her difficulty for damage rolls equals the Spirit's Rage. This difficulty is not normally modified, although the Storyteller has final say, as always."

So, I think your action determines the diff to hit (IE 5 for Bite, 6 for Claw) and the Rage of the Spirit is the diff to damage roll (IE 4 for Pattern Spiders)

It also says Combat Charms end after a turn, so do I break free from this Calcify after my turn, or what? There seems to be no definition of what is or isn't a 'Combat Charm" lol

I can't think of any Gift to use, so I'll just struggle against the Web as my action.

A good eye Psiclone. I misread that. So yes, that should make it easier to damage these things.

Calcify specifically states that it lasts until the target is released, so for now softpaws is still stuck.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 12:22 AM
Wow, that sucks. No way to avoid that ****.

Will be more careful in the future <3

BananaPhone
2012-10-11, 12:23 AM
Oddly it will apply to your first attack but not your second.

Feel free to get rid of the 2 that I rolled :smalltongue:

In the case of the spiders being easier to hurt, then that means I did 5 damage with each hit instead of the priorly abysmal 2.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 12:48 AM
Don't mean to be all rules-lawyer-y but ... it seems wrong that these dudes have essentially a no save permanent paralysis. It also makes Softpaws more of an idiot than I wanted her to be, but that's another story.

Calcify says "rolls the Spirit's Willpower against the target's Rage. Each success subtracts one dot from the victim's Physical Attributes. When the target's Attributes drop to zero, the victim is bound fast into the Pattern Web until freed."

So, is that Willpower roll difficulty of the target's Rage, or contested Willpower vs Rage roll?

Does each success subtract a dot from each Attribute or just one?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 10:35 AM
Its not as bad as you think. If they actually try, your companions should be able to free you at least partially with one attack. And then you could free yourself.

As for what your rage is doing, the way I read it, your rage is the difficulty. It seems to be a theme they have set up for spirits.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 12:15 PM
it's just inconsistent wording, since roll against is an odd thing to say.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 12:38 PM
I know you don't like your current situation. We can discuss how to correct the mechanics after the fight.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry, iI seem to be whinier than I intend to be.

Last turn, when I was - 7, my dex brawl would have been 3, or same for str brawl. If I could attempt an escape or attack with that action, rather than do nothing: [roll0]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 03:12 PM
I glanced at your sheet to try and figure out what you could still do.
In you current form, your dex and str are both 5. You have 2 dots in brawl. So with the minus 7, that would still be 0 dice. What bonus are you using that I'm forgetting?

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 06:59 PM
I was using the Boar's Brawl dice. I don't know how I got 10,though if my normal dex brawl is 7, bonus 2 only makes 9.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 07:23 PM
Just so you know, Boar's brawl bonus is not constant. It can only be used by one pack member at a time. However I'm pretty sure no one was using it, so you can bite the web or the spider if you wish.

Roll for damage.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 09:37 PM
Yes, the Stamina bonus is permanent, the brawl is one person at a time. That's why I said I took Boar's blessing when I first attacked.

is my damage pool - 7?

If so, I think I do one die of damage. If no, it is 5str +2bite +1 success

[roll0]

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't apply that to damage rolls.
Spider soak Roll [roll0]

hayabusa
2012-10-11, 10:36 PM
Wow, I just looked over subscribed posts in my Control Panel and I saw that I had 224 total posts in this shared world WoD campaign. I know it's certainly not the first among all of us in the games, but I do believe that this is the most I've ever posted in a single play-by-post game world as a player. Having two characters certainly helps, though...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 10:46 PM
And the chronicle is still in june. That's crazy to think about. Hopefully we can keep it going for many months to come.

hayabusa
2012-10-11, 11:00 PM
And the chronicle is still in june. That's crazy to think about. Hopefully we can keep it going for many months to come.

No, what I think is funny to think about is that the Vampire game that I'm in (not sure about the other one) is days ahead of this one. If I remember correctly, we're still just on the second day. Of course, I imagine that there will be a time skip leading up to the moot.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-11, 11:07 PM
Lol. Right. The werewolf game started slightly before the vampire game did. Of course I didn't think some things would take as long as they did. Nor did I predict that Sunday we would be back in the park fighting spiders.

But the werewolf game has had more combat than the vampire game too... if that counts for anything.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-11, 11:23 PM
Well, y'know, defenders of nature, blah blah blah

/sheepish 'cus the fight was my fault

daelrog
2012-10-15, 10:43 PM
Hey BananaPhone, I think it's your brawl and dex rolls we're waiting on.:smallwink:

And no worries psiclone. This fight is going to leave all sorts of drama for the characters to work out. :smallbiggrin:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-15, 11:43 PM
chapter six: Systems & Drama:smallbiggrin:

I'm sure BP is just busy. I will likely just take a turn for Lifa shortly so we can progress.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-16, 12:57 AM
Since I can shift to breed form without a roll, can I do so? Would that help me in my current predicament IE stretching / breaking some strands?

I cannot attack with -12, so I will pass the Brawl Dice to Laughs, if possible.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-16, 01:05 AM
Honestly not being able to make some stamina rolls doesn't make sense to me. But shift to breed form seems fair. Good time to be a metis.

And you control who the bonus goes to, so that's fine as well. Next round laughs will get a +2 brawl.

BananaPhone
2012-10-16, 03:28 AM
Whoops, these didn't show up in my email notification.

BananaPhone
2012-10-17, 12:11 AM
You know if we could capture and bind one of these spiderspirits into a grenade-like device that, upon "detonation", covers the area in this damn annoying webbing, that'd be very useful.

NotScaryBats
2012-10-17, 12:27 AM
Do you have that Rite? I don't think it takes the Rite of the Fetish to make a Talon, but we could probably ambush one and do that later.

BananaPhone
2012-10-17, 12:29 AM
I've got the Rite of Binding. From there I'm sure we could get someone more senior to lend a paw.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 12:33 AM
Sounds like someone wants to make a fetish. :smallbiggrin:
Spirits have their uses, both alive and dead.
Random trivia time. The remains of spider 3? You can actually use it to regain Gnosis. Of course doing so irreversibly destroys the spirit, otherwise they get better over a long period of time. I'm sure someone hear has a occult of 3 dots.

BananaPhone
2012-10-17, 12:34 AM
Yeah, someone >_>

*hides Lifa's 2 dots*

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 01:03 AM
Well after that comment I had to look. The answer is hour-tales.

I also discovered he is the most deserving to become the new alpha. Because he's the first character I've seen who actually put points in leadership, the most useless skill out there.

You can also ask Psiclone's vampire character, who has a even higher occult score. Once there's a crossover, which will be a long time. Considering the vampire game is now officially 10 days ahead of the werewolf game. And the moot will be a huge amount of time. Or so I predict. But hey, if I nuke Chicago, Psiclone and Hayabusa know first and suspiciously want to drive to Wisconsin on the 27th. Wait, did I mean that? Only one way to find out.

daelrog
2012-10-17, 09:34 PM
There. Now assuming we can tear apart these webs faster than the last spider can spin them, we're good

Unless CMT decides to send in a second wave.:smalleek:

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 09:49 PM
or he could roll incredibly good....

daelrog
2012-10-17, 09:54 PM
Yes, or the chronicle will end like this. Well last chance...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 09:58 PM
No, even if you lose the fight, the chronicle won't end like this. I think that would just leave us all angry. You will have to eat a humility sandwich though.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 10:03 PM
Laughs howls in rage. With the strength of boar running through him he still manages to move. Trying to tear at Hours' webbing to let him continue the fight.

All right, spending Laugh's last rage point for two actions.

He's also spending a willpower point on the first attack for an automatic success.

First: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Second: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Wouldn't it make more sense to attack your own webs? Since hour tales only has a -1 to dice rolls now? You can do that...

daelrog
2012-10-17, 10:05 PM
Ah yes, that does make more sense. I'll edit that.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 10:14 PM
So I wouldn't mind the input here.
Since these suckers only have to roll one success, rather than a success followed by damage, I was figuring that each success on a attack undo's a -1. So damage rolls are unnecessary. When you have nine dice to roll, that works pretty good in your favor.

But when you only have 1 die, damage dice would matter alot more. So I'm curious to your thoughts on how to undo the webbing. Attack successes, or damage successes?

daelrog
2012-10-17, 10:26 PM
I thought it was damage like everything else. At least for Laughs, it's about the same at full attacks, and as you said, much better if he's a -8.

Of 9 brawl+dex+totem let's say he gets 4 or 5 sucesses

Then he has strength six plus the three of four extra successes equalling 9 or 10.

As for the fight in general, and looking at the rules was that we didn't work as a team. If all four had attacked at once, and had dealt with the webbing as it came early on, shouldn't have been a hard fight, so I do think the rules are solid, just that we messed up. :smallredface:

NotScaryBats
2012-10-17, 10:38 PM
My interpretation of Attack Rolls is that they are 'how well you land your blow' so a 5 success attack would potentially be a neck or chest hit, while a 1 success attack would be a graze -- hence why they add to your damage roll.

Following that example, tearing web off a friendly target should be more a 'damage' thing than a 'to hit' thing since I would guess its more about how much you pull off rather than how well you 'hit' the webbing.

TL DR I think it would be a damage roll not a solid nWoD style 'just hit' roll.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-17, 10:39 PM
The irony is damage rolls can vary greatly. For example, you would only reduce hour's penalty to a -2 instead of a -1.
Of course you would reduce your penalty to a -4 rather than a -7 with your attack on your own webs.

I would be happy to change it once someone else weighs in on the matter.

As for the balance, you may be right. Honestly if you all had used a rage point or a second action for a dodge, their webs would have been much less effective. And if you had attacked them, you may not be crippled currently.
I do feel like Psiclone's claim that it should be opposed rolls had merit however, but I get the impression that calcify wouldn't really be useful then unless all 3 spiders ganged up on person at a time.

Edit: Okay, with psiclone weighing in with laughs, I will change it. Hours still has a -2 to dice rolls.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-10-28, 08:21 PM
so I hate to be the one point this out, but hour tale's homid name is jason. Not luke. There is no luke.

BananaPhone
2012-10-28, 10:19 PM
Oh....sorry Jason :(

Where did I get Luke from?

BananaPhone
2012-12-20, 10:15 AM
Reading Jasons last comment, am I the only one picturing Deep Fang saying "You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

hayabusa
2012-12-20, 01:22 PM
Reading Jasons last comment, am I the only one picturing Deep Fang saying "You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

Heh. It could happen. I'm taking a risk on this...

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-20, 02:34 PM
You're wearing a flamible shirt, standing next to a campfire, and daelrog is pouring gas on the fire. It's not looking good for you.

I will post in a few hours.....

hayabusa
2012-12-20, 03:05 PM
You're wearing a flamible shirt, standing next to a campfire, and daelrog is pouring gas on the fire. It's not looking good for you.

Okay, not so defenseless now, maybe...

Kinda bummed out today over a missed purchase. Game store got in a load of OWoD stuff a week ago, Wraith the Oblivion among them. Traded in my old Magic cards for $25 last night and guess what? It had already been sold. Only Werewolf stuff they had was either older stuff or what I already had.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-20, 04:23 PM
wraith was fun to read, but I've tried to play it on several occasions and found it unplayable. it's sooooo personal, it might be good for pbp but iI couldn't do it in person.

Basically everyone has a 'shadow' with its own mini char sheet, that tries to screw them up at every turn, and everyone has passions and fetters they have to interact with...

Harrowing is a cool rule, but again, is really tough to do correctly.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-20, 07:52 PM
Okay, not so defenseless now, maybe...

Kinda bummed out today over a missed purchase. Game store got in a load of OWoD stuff a week ago, Wraith the Oblivion among them. Traded in my old Magic cards for $25 last night and guess what? It had already been sold. Only Werewolf stuff they had was either older stuff or what I already had.

As a player, there's not many OwoD books that I would even recommend you pick up. As werewolf goes, you only need the core book, and perhaps your tribe book simply because of interest value. But of the tribe books i've read, I don't think they add much for a player.

As a story teller, there have been a few add on's I think have become necessary. Breed books. City book. Fetish book. The wild west setting looks really cool too. But as a player, you don't really need any of that, and it doesn't add much if you do have it.

daelrog
2012-12-20, 08:40 PM

Heh, that's what a Ragabash is for, right? Laughs sheet's updated. Gave him one more dot in brawl for three total. He has three experience left, but the next couple things I want to give him are worth more, so I'll hold onto it.

hayabusa
2012-12-20, 10:01 PM
As a player, there's not many OwoD books that I would even recommend you pick up. As werewolf goes, you only need the core book, and perhaps your tribe book simply because of interest value. But of the tribe books i've read, I don't think they add much for a player.

As a story teller, there have been a few add on's I think have become necessary. Breed books. City book. Fetish book. The wild west setting looks really cool too. But as a player, you don't really need any of that, and it doesn't add much if you do have it.

I would still like to have a hard copy of pretty much every core book, if only to have a pretty good crossover factor. And I would absolutely love to play a Wraith game at one point.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-20, 11:11 PM
I have every Changing Breed book, Rokea are my favorite. It's just the same problem, though;you cannot cross were sharks with anything, and no one else in the world wants to play a shark :/

Wraith is certainly cool, but you are trapped in a unique world (it isn't even the Dark Umbra, it's the Shroud) every type of creature has a power dedicated to raping you (Necromancy, Spirit, Death, etc) and there's exactly one power that let's you do anything to effect the mortal world (two if you count possession).

So, you're either all wraith, or one person is and has to be super powerful in order to be able to contribute to the party.

I'm not trying to discourage you, ymmv, but that's my opinion (even though no one asked <3)

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-21, 12:22 AM
There was a reason why there is New world of darkness rules. Everything works together better. They just dropped the ball by changing things up. Badly.

And of course, no wants to play a were-shark. The were-shark is like aqua man. Only useful in very specific settings, and no one ever wants to be him.

Also, a all Rokea game feels like you're jumping the shark for ideas. :smallbiggrin:

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 12:27 AM
<3<3<3 yeah, love the weresharks. I cannot lie.

On a serious note, I can't really justify Softpaws leaving Deep Fang -- is that gonna be a problem?

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-21, 12:39 AM
I'll manage/figure something out.

Personally I was rooting for Laughs to act like he supported Deep Fang, and then challenge him. Ragabash alpha, that would have been amusing.

daelrog
2012-12-21, 01:18 AM
I'll manage/figure something out.

Personally I was rooting for Laughs to act like he supported Deep Fang, and then challenge him. Ragabash alpha, that would have been amusing.

Almost did. Laughs isn't keen on leadership though. It may be an interesting road in the future though...

hayabusa
2012-12-21, 08:04 PM
<3<3<3 yeah, love the weresharks. I cannot lie.

On a serious note, I can't really justify Softpaws leaving Deep Fang -- is that gonna be a problem?

I kinda put your character on a pretty big spot, didn't I? Sorry about that.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 08:37 PM
No big deal, just that with Softpaws idolizing / crushing on Deep Fang so hard, there really isn't any reason for her to leave him. Especially since she feels so cooly about Lifa and Laughs. These new Bone Gnawers are kinda weird, but they haven't done anything as questionable as the whole "Pattern Spider-Gate" fiasco, which Softpaws blames Lifa for.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-21, 11:20 PM
see that's funny, because I think they blame softpaws.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-21, 11:52 PM
Clearly, she is not ready to blame herself.
Also, they just never discussed it further and walked away, so

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-21, 11:55 PM
Clearly, she is not ready to blame herself.
Also, they just never discussed it further and walked away, so

Why blame yourself when there are other people?:smallwink: Sounds like the philosophy of a 15 year old girl.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-22, 12:22 AM
:D That's what I'm going for

BananaPhone
2012-12-22, 04:02 AM
Lifa was already leaning towards Jason because she doesn't know deep fang from a bar of soap, and if Jason's known him for so long and is turning his back on him then that doesn't sound like someone she'd die for.

Laughs siding with J man sealed the deal.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-23, 01:56 AM
Lifa was already leaning towards Jason because she doesn't know deep fang from a bar of soap, and if Jason's known him for so long and is turning his back on him then that doesn't sound like someone she'd die for.

Laughs siding with J man sealed the deal.

Alright, going to assume you just walked off with him then.

BananaPhone
2012-12-23, 10:17 AM
Sure thing.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-27, 02:13 PM
Does anyone do alot of posting from their phone? If so, what browser do you use? I've got an android and having trouble getting a browser app that doesn't give me trouble when I post.

NotScaryBats
2012-12-27, 02:50 PM
iI have a Galaxy S2 and use Firefox. it works pretty well, but the occasional hiccup.

CowMasterTrojan
2012-12-27, 02:58 PM
Firefox isn't working for me. I click on post reply or submit replyand it isn't working most of the time.

BananaPhone
2013-01-06, 11:11 PM
Thanks to that jerk Deep Fang I have to spend experience on raising stamaina back up to 3.

While we're at the motel, I think Lifa will try to get in contact with a spirit to teach her Healing Touch or Mothers Touch or some sort of Touch thing that makes people better, for 3 exp.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-09, 02:27 AM
What kind of spirit does that require?

NotScaryBats
2013-01-09, 02:34 AM
I'm glad you feel better!

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-09, 03:33 AM
Thanks. I've stalled out at 70% full health, but good enough where I'm forcing myself to catch up. When I'm sick, for some reason my motivation to stay updated falls apart.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-09, 03:38 AM
I don't mind. We've all been there.

"Everything sucks."

I'm glad you feel better, though <3