PDA

View Full Version : A master of death and the undead.

skycycle blues
2012-06-05, 05:40 PM
Before you read anything, I know the obvious(and possibly best) answer is Ruby Knight Vindicator. I do not want to use RKV for this for reasons that will be made clear. Please don't suggest it.

OK. So, I'm DMing a game and soon my players will be facing off against a boss, a character that is currently possessed by two wicked, outer worldly forces. One is a force that thrives off of killing opponents in close quarters combat. The other thrives off of controlling and creating undead. When they kill it, I was setting things up so that two NPCs would become possessed by these forces. However, in a previous encounter, one of the NPCs found himself on the wrong end of a Golaith Greathammer. So now it looks like they both get to possess the one that survived.

The NPC that died was going to become a Dread Necromancer. The one that survived is a level 3 Crusader that was going to head towards Eternal Blade. The Boss is a Ruby Knight Vindicator, so I don't want to use the class for this character (or Crusader X/Cleric Y if that can also be avoided).

So, in summation, please help me build a character who is both good at melee and able to create and control undead. I don't use anything from Dragon or anything setting specific. Anything from 1-20 builds to suggestions about certain classes or prestige classes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rhaegar14
2012-06-05, 05:47 PM
You want Bone Knight, out of the Five Nations Eberron book. Doesn't advance his maneuvers, but it's very Death-Knight-ish in fluff and gets a lot of class features to do with undead.

Waker
2012-06-05, 05:55 PM
If your goal is a necromancer who can fight, your best bet is to use Cleric, Dread Necromancer or Wizard with maybe a touch of Gish.

As a silly alternative though, how about Incarnate 2/Cleric 3/Sapphire Hierarch X? Shape the Necrocarnum Circlet and you can make a zombie whenever you want at no cost (get a source of temporary HP to avoid the damage). In order to meet the requirements for the PrC, take an Incarnum race or take any one of the several incarnum feats.
Simply reanimating the dead isn't enough for you. Your character feels the need to shape weapons and armor from the souls of the fallen.