PDA

View Full Version : Real Life Problems from a D&D Perspective.

Sylthia
2012-06-05, 05:54 PM
One idea came about when I was trying to get to the OR in a crowded hospital, feel free to post your own.

Has anyone else had the problem when creatures in front of you in a hallway walk with a base speed of 20 feet per round, while you have a base speed of 30 feet per round?

Crow
2012-06-05, 06:30 PM
One idea came about when I was trying to get to the OR in a crowded hospital, feel free to post your own.

Has anyone else had the problem when creatures in front of you in a hallway walk with a base speed of 20 feet per round, while you have a base speed of 30 feet per round?

Sounds like when I play Skyrim and have to follow someone. If I run, I smack right into their back. But if I walk, I go too darn slow to keep up.

IRL, I roll a diplomacy check and ask them if I can squeeze by. Worked every time so far, otherwise I'd attempt a bull rush.

noparlpf
2012-06-06, 08:48 AM
Same problem, except my base speed is 40. So then I need to look up the squeezing rules, or occasionally make a bull rush.

Aedilred
2012-06-06, 08:57 AM
I was hoping that spending many hours gaining XP by defeating opponents on Stick Cricket would gain me a couple of levels; then I could invest new skill points in Knowledge: Law in time for exams.

Sadly, it turns out real life doesn't work like that :smallfrown:

Anxe
2012-06-06, 09:38 AM
I CAST FIREBALL! Now they're not moving at all! I loot the bodies!

Telonius
2012-06-06, 02:25 PM

One of my pet peeves is when people with three levels of Knight stop and have a 20-minute conversation right at the top or bottom of a stairway, or in a doorway, or ...

Riverdance
2012-06-06, 09:22 PM

This also happens on ski mountains. Usually it's level 1 skiers going back and forth across the trail and blocking the entire thing.

Vladislav
2012-06-06, 09:25 PM

I remind myself that you can move through squares occupied by allies at no penalty, and just go. Then I realize they weren't my ally, and what I just did was an Overrun attempt.

Ranger Mattos
2012-06-06, 10:54 PM
This also happens on ski mountains. Usually it's level 1 skiers going back and forth across the trail and blocking the entire thing.

I'm one of those people. I'm just trying to level up to the point where I can increase my DEX, so that I don't crash into things.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-06, 11:02 PM

I believe that's level 2 skiers. Level 1 skiers just shoot straight down while screaming. Level 3 and higher get tighter turns.

ShadowySilence
2012-06-18, 12:56 PM
I keep hoping that I will finally exceed the XP required to gain another level in student and then I can take the dedicated feat which will overrule my racial penalty of laziness...

Sadly, it does not appear to be working out. :smalltongue:

Sgt. Cookie
2012-06-18, 01:26 PM
If only all the skill points spent on Knowledge (Useless crap) could have been spent on more helpful things, such as perform (Guitar). Ah well.

Recherché
2012-06-18, 05:19 PM
My former gaming group is feeding and falling apart because some of the members, especially the primary DM did not put nearly enough ranks in sense motive. There's a reason sense motive is a class skill for DMs. On the other hand this guy just needs a higher Wis score in general.

Vladislav
2012-06-21, 01:23 AM
Someone complained to me about how she sat in a meeting and everyone ignored her "like she was invisible". I suggested that next time this happens, she should try to slap someone, and that'll make her visible.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-22, 07:14 PM
FIREBALL!!!

Pokonic
2012-06-23, 12:57 AM
Lacking money? Thats what Cantrips where made for! (as in, create fake money.)

Vizzerdrix
2012-06-25, 06:31 AM
Most of the new hires for my job seem to have dumped dex and taken a flaw that slows them. Honestly, pick up the box, take it to the pallet and place it. Repeat. (If yer ten years younger than me with good knees then I shouldn't doing 4 to yer 1! :smallfurious: ) :smallsigh:

Oh well, at least I'm getting use out of my ranks in Intimidate. :smallamused:

Capt Spanner
2012-06-25, 11:23 AM
One of my pet peeves is when people with three levels of Knight stop and have a 20-minute conversation right at the top or bottom of a stairway, or in a doorway, or ...

Yeah ... this frustrates me too. It's like they think talking is a free action or something.

Silma
2012-06-25, 12:14 PM
I was thinking... If I make enough posts in the forum I gain EXP and when I level up I will increase my STR score and thus my athletics. Why spend time working out? This is so much better.

Gligarman2
2012-06-26, 02:14 PM
Yeah. I should have put those skill points I wasted on guitar as a kid into craft(Drawing.) I also need to get Bicycle Proficiency so I can take that feat to gain Advanced Mobility without a driver's license. At least I took so many flaws at character creation.

prufock
2012-06-28, 09:05 AM
I would definitely like more ranks in my social skills: bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, perform... actually I guess I would just settle for a charisma-boosting item.

I would like to increase all my ability scores, actually. I'm working on my strength (weight training) and con (cardio training). I might try some dex (yoga) in the next year. I'm afraid there isn't much I can do to improve my int or wis scores.

Oh, and I could use a Heal or Regenerate or something on my throat. Freaking laryngitis has been going on too long.

If I were to guess, I'd say I'm something like an:
Human Expert 4 (master's degree), Str 12, Dex 8, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 8, Cha...6?, with most of my skills in Knowledge (psychology), Knowledge (statistics), Knowledge (music), Knowledge (miscellaneous science), Perform (guitar), and Perform (singing). Feats would include Skill Focus and not much else. I likely have some flaws.
Pretty lame.

If I could upgrade, I'd choose:
Human Bard 4, Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14 (25 point buy, increase Int and Cha for higher point buy), with high ranks in Perform (pretty much everything), Knowledge (pretty much everything), Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate. Feats would still include Skill Focus, but also Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple. I'd probably go Alter Self and Heroism for my level 2 spells; Unseen Servant, Charm Person, and CLW at level 1, and definitely Summon Instrument, Mage Hand, Mending, and Prestidigitation at level 0.

end overthinking

Maugan Ra
2012-06-29, 01:41 AM
My friends have essentially agreed that I radiate an aura of strong evil, at the very least. I have been looking into ways to make that undetectable. Thus far, it is not working.

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-06-30, 02:19 PM
I hate it that I have a high Dexterity and have ripped through yet another pair of my favorite jeans that have a Max Dex Penalty.

Accordion Twome
2012-06-30, 11:22 PM
I would take some friend with me in to a dangerous cave and hike try to level up, so that I could put some ranks in to as many knowledge skills as possible

Amidus Drexel
2012-07-01, 10:02 PM
I have a feeling that I dumped my Cha and Wis. Some exp would be nice, so that I could take a level of rogue :smallbiggrin:.

I usually try to use the squeezing rules. Barring that, tumble.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-07-02, 04:25 AM
I find it highly annoying that I for some reason possess both the murky-eyed and the inattentive flaws. Especially since I don't seem to have gained any bonus feats for them.

Also, it's ridiculous how hard it is to progress two PrC:s at the same time, stuntman and IT-engineer don't synergize at all :smallfrown:

Elemental
2012-07-02, 04:36 AM
Why did I have to pick a class with a low fortitude save?
I failed a save, and now I'm coughing again!

But, at least when I went out on Sunday, I managed to gain both experience and treasure. Specifically, a Ring of "That's an interesting ring!"
But maybe I should have gotten the Ring of "Colours... Shiny..." when offered the choice.

Bulldog Psion
2012-07-02, 09:10 AM
I do this all the time. :smallbiggrin: My thoughts generally run to either alignment or saving throws, but I've been thinking of real world events in game terms to amuse myself for years.

Don't tell my wife, but the first time I met her and managed to get the ice broken and us talking easily together, I thought "Diplomacy (Flirt) check -- successful". :smallwink:

Speeder pulled over at the side of the road -- "that guy blew his saving throw vs. cop -- looks like a critical failure, too."

I tend to ascribe ability scores, too -- "Intelligence 15, but Wisdom 3, it looks like :smallbiggrin: ."

Etc. etc.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-02, 02:48 PM
Occasionally, I get a little sad that I can't take levels in Wizard.

Gligarman2
2012-07-03, 08:30 PM
Many of my friends agree I have the optimized stat-set of a sorcerer, with a few ranks in artisan. Unfortunately to get those diplomacy feats, I started out with like, 28, flaws. (One is 60-point arrogance.)

Tusalu
2012-07-04, 11:18 AM
I'd like to retrain some points from my Int to my Cha, but I'm afraid I'll need the Int to advance in my Academic class.
Also I seem to have a flaw giving severe penalties to my initiative.

Randomguy
2012-07-06, 08:37 PM
Occasionally, I get a little sad that I can't take levels in Wizard.

Don't you have artificer levels though? :smallbiggrin:

I'm pretty min-maxed, I think. I took a bunch of low impact flaws (such as perpetual runny nose and Mild Allergy (everything)) and dumped all my skill points in various knowledge skills.

Stephen Hawking's probably the best minmaxer on earth. He dumped all his physical stats, took a bunch of flaws, and put everything into Intelligence. Then, he used modern technology to work around all the flaws.

Beacon of Chaos
2012-07-09, 05:30 PM
Ugh, I really need to stop trying to craft(food) while watching TV. Did you know that having the TV on in the background prevents you from taking 10? I totally forgot yesterday and I ended up with a natural 1 bowl of pasta. Ick! Perhaps I should invest some skill points next level, or at the very least find a spell that allows me to reroll.

Randomguy
2012-07-09, 09:27 PM
Ugh, I really need to stop trying to craft(food) while watching TV. Did you know that having the TV on in the background prevents you from taking 10? I totally forgot yesterday and I ended up with a natural 1 bowl of pasta. Ick! Perhaps I should invest some skill points next level, or at the very least find a spell that allows me to reroll.

This reminds me of the time I accidentally activated a moment of persience on a craft (pancakes) check. I didn't burn a single one.

And I didn't even know it was one of my spells known!

Creed
2012-07-09, 09:43 PM
That day when you realize that you're a level zero commoner.
Str- < 8
Dex- 10
Con- < 6 (use to be higher)
Wis- 10
Int- 10
Cha- 0

I don't qualify for being an adventurer, like you.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 11:36 PM
I'm probably a human expert 1 with Str 12, Dex 8, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10. I have many ranks in Profession (Writer), Knowledge (Literature), Knowledge (Tabletop Roleplaying Games), and Knowledge (Computer Games). I have a few ranks in Knowledge (Comics), Knowledge (Art), Knowledge (Language), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Linux), and Diplomacy. I have NO ranks in Bluff, Stealth, or Slight of Hand.

My dog is a maw demon.

gooddragon1
2012-07-10, 11:53 PM
Str- < 8
Dex- 10
Wis- 10
Int- 10
Cha- 0

Dragonfire Adept.

Don't need any ability scores if your target doesn't have evasion. Train Con and that's it. Also breathes fire.

I'd like to retrain some points from my Int to my Cha, but I'm afraid I'll need the Int to advance in my Academic class.
Also I seem to have a flaw giving severe penalties to my initiative.

1 level dip in marshal with motivate intelligence. Retrain charisma for an additional bonus to all int checks. If you need knowledges then either breadth of knowledge spelltouched feat or 1 level dip in dragonfire adept for draconic knowledge (+6 and make untrained for any knowledge check).

Thats a +6 +charisma to any knowledge check you want.

As for myself:
STR- 4
DEX- 12
CON- 10
INT- 18*
WIS-10
CHA- 12

*Took extreme depression flaw to get this ability score. Really not worth it imo. I get to analyze everything and come to the false realization that nothing is interesting and that I should just sleep.

An Enemy Spy
2012-07-11, 01:40 PM
I would forget to apply the encumbrance rules and have infinite carrying strength.

Capt Spanner
2012-07-12, 04:54 PM
Str- < 8
Dex- 10
Wis- 10
Int- 10
Cha- 0

0 charisma?

Doesn't that mean you're an object? (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Charisma)

How are you typing? I guess you must be one of those advanced chatbots?

Amidus Drexel
2012-07-13, 10:16 AM
0 charisma?

Doesn't that mean you're an object? (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Charisma)

How are you typing? I guess you must be one of those advanced chatbots?

Nah, it just means he is incapable of distinguishing other things from himself. There are plenty of objects that can do that. Although yes, by RAW he is an object, and therefore also has a Wis score of 0.