PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Effect Interactions

Elric VIII
2012-06-05, 07:20 PM
I have recently been contemplating the Incantatrix class (there was a recent thread that resulted in a recommendation of that class) and I was wondering about the interaction between Sculpt Spell and Metamagic Effect.

Can I change the location of a spell by using Metamagic Effect and Sculpt Spell?

Let's say I cast a Solid Fog spell in 10' high and 20' wide hallway. A few rounds later, the enemies make it through the fog. Can I use Sculpt Spell to change it into 4 10' cubes and move them to be in front of the enemy again?

Also, does Chain Spell count as something that affects the casting or could I cast Hold Person, then chain it to multiple targets next round?

I would assume that Twin Spell does count as things that alter the casting process (sill, silent, etc), but does Repeat Spell? Could I summon something and then next round metamagic effect to add Repeat Spell?

Elric VIII
2012-06-06, 10:36 AM
No ideas here? Is this just a "DM decides" thing with no rules adjudicating it?

Rhaegar14
2012-06-06, 04:30 PM
Wish I could help you, but I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "Metamagic Effect" lol.

Elric VIII
2012-06-06, 04:43 PM
Wish I could help you, but I have no idea what you're referring to when you say "Metamagic Effect" lol.

I apreciate the sentiment. It is the 3rd level ability of the Incantatrix class, found in Player's Guide to Faerun. It basically allows me to add metamagic to spells that persist for 1 or more rounds by making a spellcraft check.

It specifically says that "an incantatrix can attempt to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to a persistent spell effect that is already in place. For example, she could use Extend Spell to extend the duration of a wall of force or Maximize Spell to maximize the damage dealt by a cloudkill."

My third question is a little wrong, I now see, because I had been confusing part of the Metamagic Effect ability with Cooperative Metamagic. What I basically want to know is hif there are any rules adjudicating Sculpt Spell, Chain Spell, and Twin Spell when applied to a spell already in place. Because if there aren't any, then it's up to me to argue with whatever DM is unfortunate enough to see me playing an Incantatrix. :smallbiggrin:

Rhaegar14
2012-06-06, 04:47 PM
I apreciate the sentiment. It is the 3rd level ability of the Incantatrix class, found in Player's Guide to Faerun. It basically allows me to add metamagic to spells that persist for 1 or more rounds by making a spellcraft check.

It specifically says that "an incantatrix can attempt to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to a persistent spell effect that is already in place. For example, she could use Extend Spell to extend the duration of a wall of force or Maximize Spell to maximize the damage dealt by a cloudkill."

My third question is a little wrong, I now see, because I had been confusing part of the Metamagic Effect ability with Cooperative Metamagic. What I basically want to know is hif there are any rules adjudicating Sculpt Spell, Chain Spell, and Twin Spell when applied to a spell already in place. Because if there aren't any, then it's up to me to argue with whatever DM is unfortunate enough to see me playing an Incantatrix. :smallbiggrin:

Ohh, alright. I'm only familiar with the Magic of Faerun version, which I thought until recently was the most updated haha.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-06, 06:02 PM
I don't think there exists any RAW or official examples that support what you're proposing.

If the spell's already been cast and its area/targets determined, it probably can't be modified by metamagic that affects those things via Metamagic Effect. Sculpt Spell wouldn't be able to change its area if it's already been cast and its area determined. Chain Spell wouldn't be able to add new targets if it's already been cast and targeted. Twin Spell would add a second instance of the spell, but it would appear in the exact same place and/or on the same targets as the first instance of that spell. Repeat Spell would only work if you used Metamagic Effect to apply it before the repeat would occur had the metamagic been applied at the time it was cast. At least that's how I would expect it to be ruled. Incantatrix is already one of the most powerful classes a character could use, you don't really need to go fishing for questionable rulings in its favor.

Elric VIII
2012-06-06, 07:36 PM
I don't think there exists any RAW or official examples that support what you're proposing.

If the spell's already been cast and its area/targets determined, it probably can't be modified by metamagic that affects those things via Metamagic Effect. Sculpt Spell wouldn't be able to change its area if it's already been cast and its area determined. Chain Spell wouldn't be able to add new targets if it's already been cast and targeted. Twin Spell would add a second instance of the spell, but it would appear in the exact same place and/or on the same targets as the first instance of that spell. Repeat Spell would only work if you used Metamagic Effect to apply it before the repeat would occur had the metamagic been applied at the time it was cast. At least that's how I would expect it to be ruled. Incantatrix is already one of the most powerful classes a character could use, you don't really need to go fishing for questionable rulings in its favor.

Well, the real root of its power is Persist abuse, most of the other uses of Metamagic Effect (enlarge, maximize, empower, etc) are not incredibly useful. I'm hoping to play one without Persist, so I'm trying to find some interesting things to do with it.

Also, the fact that you can apply Enlarge Spell makes me think there is a basis for Sculpt Spell.