PDA

View Full Version : Astro boy

killianh
2012-06-05, 10:00 PM
I've been working on some custom classes for my party and one of my players wants to play an astro boy type class. Starting off as a construct but "upgrading" through his experience. My powers of google-fu have failed me and I am wondering if this has been done before.

If not what wonder be some classes to look at to help build such a thing

Waker
2012-06-05, 10:03 PM
Well, the most obvious would be a refuffled Warforged Artificer/Fighter. I'm not overly familiar with Astroboy. What exactly does your player want to do?

killianh
2012-06-05, 10:21 PM
from wikipedia:

Astro Boy has several capabilities and abilities, as well as weapons, to aid him on his adventures. Note that these powers differ slightly from series to series. They include:
The ability to translate more than 60 languages (excluding 1980, 2003, film and video game)
Strength equivalent to 100,000 horsepower (75 MW)
The ability to fly using jets in his legs and arms
Amplification of his hearing up to one thousand times
Guns deployed from his posterior (excluding 2003 series)
Invulnerability to most forms of physical injury
An electro-heart that can discern people's criminal intentions (excluding 2003, 1980 and film)
Bright eye-lamps to assist his vision (references to additional x-ray ability in the film and 60's series)
Laser guns in his finger tips (excluding film)
Laser cannons in his arms (2003 series and film only)
An extremely accurate electronic brain

So the class would need tongues, flying, detect evil, detect chaos, INT booster, Listen, spot, and search boosts, and some form of emulating the attack method. Also the issue of deciding when they should get the powers over the course of 20 levels

JeminiZero
2012-06-05, 10:36 PM
I would go for a Warlock / Cleric / Eldritch Disciple. See the unseen, fell flight and eldritch blast. DMM persist codzilla for cleric, as well as tongues and detect X. Vulnerable to dispel though

Randomguy
2012-06-05, 10:45 PM
Isn't there some sort of evolved undead template somewhere? You could try adapting that to work for constructs.

Other than that, the best option would probably be warforged artificer, and you letting him make built-in magic items at a lower cost. (Count them as race specific items (those cost a bit less to make, IIRC) that he just can't be disarmed of).

Prime32
2012-06-06, 11:15 AM
Dragonborn dragonborn warforged paladin with an armbow?

Slipperychicken
2012-06-07, 10:16 PM
I second WF Artificer (robot-ness, emulate all spell-requirements with UMD). Max Disguise so you can appear to be a regular boy. All your items are Slotless Warforged Components. Abuse Custom Item rules to have the effects listed below all going continuously or at-will. Build your items (or have your Dedicated Wright build them) whenever you can afford them, and attach them whenever you want. Beware, this character will be a monster.

Discern Criminal Intentions = Detect Thoughts + Every Detect [Alignment] spell (chaos, law, good, evil) continuously.

Flight = Continuous Slotless Swift Fly (Bard spell list. It's level 2, which is great for cost-reduction)

Extremely Accurate Electronic Brain = Max INT, Slotless Item of Autohypnosis-boosting, or find some way to get Autohypnosis on your class skills, then max it (and boost with items).

Guns/Lasers = At-will items of [blast spell of choice], or Warforged Component [ranged weapon of choice].

Translation = Tongues

Eye-lamps = Light spell of choice. There is an X-Ray Vision ring on the SRD for 25k, but it kind of sucks.

Strength = Bulls Strength? Strength-Boosting Items? There's a spell that doubles carrying capacity if that's what you're after...

Nigh-Invulnerability = High hit points OR Take Troll-Blooded, get immunity to Fire, Acid, and Nonlethal damage. Search Emerald Legion for more info.