PDA

View Full Version : Call of the Wild

THEChanger
2012-06-05, 10:53 PM
Prologue-The Gathering of Prophets

Apush.

A council of Dwarves sit deep within their cavernous capital, a map of the world sitting before them. Too long they have been hiding within their impenetrable continent. It was time to return to the world once more, and if it was not to their liking, reform it.

Kilicora.

A meeting between representatives the Bronze Gnome Collective and the Jungle Gnome Tribes has just concluded. Though nothing official has been written, all involved feel excited about the process of collaboration with their long lost cousins against a hostile world.

Icecastle.

The various Chieftans of the Halfling Tribes have come together for the annual Wildmeet once more. They dislike the arrival of newcomers on their shore. The intrusion of the smooth-skins. The time has come to strike back, many say. Icefang and Forstspear stand firm against the mob mentality, but plans are already in motion to remove Icefang from Grand Chieftanhood.

Har-Shadan.

A huge slave revolt has begun, led by the kobolds and a messiah figure calling himself the Sleeping Song. In the silken halls of Al-Shiram, the Thar and his council prepare for a counter-attack, though feeling secure in the power of the Elven state. Meanwhile, the revolt pushes more and more Elves from their homes.

Crossroads Island.

As ever, wares are being sold, bargains being struck, and all manner of trades are being praticed. The Brothers of Orobrous and the Arcanists are no longer in open conflict with the Sons of the Forge and the Soil Kings, but old grudges are slow to be forgotten. Yet, in a shadowy room long forgotten by men, six shadowy figures sit, plotting humanity's next moves.

Malthan.

The giants are on the move again. It's been decades since the last stampede, and the orckin know that when the giants stampede, it is never a good omen. Many shamans find the ancestors strangely silent, while others are discovering ancestral spirits they never knew they had. And a lone tribe marches toward a sacred wood, where their shaman tells them a new journey might be found.

Six unknowing mortals wandered through the wood, feeling themselves drawn towards its center, where three ancient, slumbering spirits awaited them.

Who arrived first?

Fredaintdead
2012-06-06, 11:58 AM
With strong, purpose-filled strides, Starke steps into the clearing, Lucy protectively close behind him. He marvels in the beauty of the place for a moment, smiling at the fact that there are still some places no taint has yet touched. His right hand wanders instinctively to his sword, and while he does clasp the hilt, he does not draw the giant blade.

Lix Lorn
2012-06-06, 12:33 PM
Sonya lurks at the edge, staring at the man with the lion, wondering whether he was a threat.

whoiam
2012-06-06, 03:01 PM
[roll0]

It probably wouldn't shock people in or around a clearing with a Lion in it to hear the call of a Lion.

But as Starke, Lucy, and anyone not directly in front of Starke would instantly know, it wasn't the Lion in the clearing who had made the call.

Not Hungry, not mating, not my range

Lions (obviously) don't have any real language, but they can convey some basic emotions through their calls. Like 'Go Away', 'Hungry/Not Hungry' and the like. A combination of reasons as to why she didn't feel like fighting was the closest Ainariel could get to saying 'I come in peace'.

Slowly, she emerged from the trees, following the same route Starke and Lucy had taken. It wasn't a coincidence - ever since she and Matmellon had been forced down to ground, Ainariel had been following the easiest paths available for the sake of her (dire) Eagle. And the easiest route into the clearing was to follow Starke and Lucy's trail.

The Eagle was one of the reasons for her slow approach (not startling the Lion being the other). For not only was the bird a slow walker, but it was rather dubious about the idea of approaching a ground predator while stuck on the ground herself. It was only Ainariel's hand on her neck that kept her moving forwards. She was bucking a little in her Druid's grasp... just little movements to show that she was unhappy with the situation, but following regardless.

Ainariel, for her part, was hoping Matmellon would settle down before she wrenched her arm out of the socket. Unlike Starke and Lucy, who were each other's equal in strength, Ainariel was hopelessly outclassed by her eagle...

It probably looked quite ridiculous, the little elf (appearing to be barely more than a little girl) in the dirty tunic and silver-trimmed cloak, leading a monster that she could not possibly have controlled had it decided to leave, towards a Half-Giant and a Lion...

...and the advance finally came to an end, Ainariel not stopping until she was inside both the clearing... and Lucy's dash-and-pounce range. But then, she wouldn't have been an experienced Druid if she hadn't been confident in her ability to befriend random animals...

The Crash Man
2012-06-06, 04:55 PM
Crisal shivered as he wandered through the forests, lost and alone in a place where everybody was big enough to hurl him like a log. He had seen roving packs of giants before, truly a dangerous omen. Fortunately, though, his small and unobtrusive size made forest navigation and avoiding harm very simple.

He noticed others in a nearby clearing: bigger, stronger, and one of them was backed up by a lion. They outnumbered him, and if they wanted to do the halfling harm even the little elf girl would probably match his strength. Were they friendly? Were they hostile? Only one way to find out.

Slowly and solemnly, Crisal stepped into the clearing.

Wyntonian
2012-06-07, 08:38 AM
Cadmael ducked under a low branch and stepped into the clearing. The Eagle had lead him to Crossroads Island, true, but he had still been drawn here. He looked around at the others, noted that all but perhaps one were smaller than him and relaxed slightly. A pressure, a hum too deep to hear with the ears on his head pulsed around him. This is the place...

Fredaintdead
2012-06-07, 01:49 PM
Starke relaxes a little, releasing his grip on his sword. As his hands rest at his sides, Lucy also relaxes, lieing down behind Starke's legs.
"Well, it seems we're not alone here then." his voice booms across the clearing.
His stance shifts slightly, still imposing via the virtue of his size, but no longer threatening.
"I appreciate honesty over sneakyness, and would prefer this whole situation be solved without fighting. My name is Starke, and I'm here simply because it feels like where I need to be."

whoiam
2012-06-07, 01:59 PM
"Who said anything about sneaking?" Ainariel's voice sounded rather different when she was speaking to non-felines. A lot less like a Lion, for a start.

"I'd have probably caught up with you ages ago if this birdie was a little faster on her talons..." The pat she aimed at Matmelon's beak was very affectionate. The but she received in return nearly staggered her.

Still, all this went to show: However close you feel to animals, ignoring your surroundings to concentrate on the Lion you want to play with will result in you missing things. Such as Crisal and Cadmael...

The Crash Man
2012-06-07, 03:17 PM
Crisal looked nervously at the massive half-giant and his lion. They were easily the most massive and frightening of this little group. However, his expression seemed to calm as the man shifted to a less imposing stance. Judging by his words, he didn't want to start a fight either.

"I-I'm not trying to sneak . . . I'm Crisal, and I'm here looking for someone . . . someone important to me . . . "

Trusting a group of perfect strangers with info as important as who he was looking for? Not something Crisal was really comfortable with.

Wyntonian
2012-06-07, 08:02 PM
Cadmael nods. "I'm Cadmael Gadwaldr, ordained shaman and warrior of the Oakheart tribe. I'm here for the same reason as Starke, more or less. I need to be."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-07, 08:27 PM
Slowly, Sonya emerges from the trees, looking at them all with curiosity and distrust. Currently, she is in her wolfen form.

Amakule
2012-06-08, 04:17 AM
As Therro wanders through the wood, not quite knowing the way, he ponders the possible reasons he was unable to fly. "Could the sacred grove be in danger? Could the Sky Father be in danger? Is this another test from the Fath-?" his train of thought cut off by the realization that he is standing just past the edge of the grove already. "Oh! Hello there." It seems he's walked into some sort of meeting. Almost as many animals as not, and a great variety in appearance. Therro pulls off his hood and puts on a friendly face. "I didn't mean to intrude on your gathering."

Fredaintdead
2012-06-08, 09:47 AM
"No need to apologise little one. It seems we're all welcome here for one reason or another."
Starke's smile is genuine and gentle, almost soothing.
He then turns towards Sonya.
"I thought I smelled Wolf. There is nothing to worry about little one, there are no foes here."
He slowly drops down to one knee to look her in the eye, and removes his sword from its sheath, laying it down on the ground to show both her and everyone else that he doesn't mean to fight anyone here.

Amakule
2012-06-09, 04:23 AM
Therro steps further out and looks comfortable, at east, and harmless."Then, again pardon my interference, but might I know what you are all gathered here for?" His curiosity leading him, Therro hopes the people here are related to his summons.

Fredaintdead
2012-06-09, 07:10 AM
"I am not sure I know entirely. But I know that right now, I need to be here, wherever here even is. Nevertheless, no matter what reason we are here for, we've truly found a blessed place. There are too few pure places of nature left. Too little land untouched by greedy hands."

The Crash Man
2012-06-09, 09:46 AM
"At first I was here to find somebody, but something about this place . . .

It just feels like I need to be here. Like its some kind of sanctuary. I . . . I don't know how to explain it, but it just does . . ."

Crisal was not an expert wordsmith, even when his usual nervousness was calmed by an oddly friendly half-giant.

Lix Lorn
2012-06-09, 10:25 AM
"No need to apologise little one. It seems we're all welcome here for one reason or another."
Starke's smile is genuine and gentle, almost soothing.
He then turns towards Sonya.
"I thought I smelled Wolf. There is nothing to worry about little one, there are no foes here."
He slowly drops down to one knee to look her in the eye, and removes his sword from its sheath, laying it down on the ground to show both her and everyone else that he doesn't mean to fight anyone here.
She stares distrustfully, and then a soft green glow envelops her and her form shifts, changing in the blink of an eye to a humanoid form, pretty, with narrowed purple eyes and hair of the same deep black of her fur. Her hair lies in a loose ponytail, and she wears a dark shirt, and a skirt, slit at the sides.

"You are in my forest." she says, but she sounds a little uncertain about it. Something seems to be telling her to trust them.

Fredaintdead
2012-06-09, 10:31 AM
"None can truly own somewhere as lovely as this place little one. Just as the Lion, although king of the Savannah, does not own the land itself, the wolf does not own the forest. Besides, now is not the time to be fighting over territory."
Starke picks his sword back up off of the ground and sheathes it quickly before rising to his full height.
"To soil this sacred place with bloodshed would be a true crime."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-09, 10:35 AM
"Just what I'd expect from one of yours." she says dismissively. "The forest is no less mine for your belief. Regardless, I don't need to drive you out yet."

Fredaintdead
2012-06-09, 11:01 AM
"It is wise not to bother a sleeping lion little one. And if you think for a second you have half a chance of making me go anywhere, you have quite the surprise in store."
Starke growls, and for a split second his smile and calm demeanor are gone, replaced by an expression entirely feral in nature.
Lucy follows suit, standing between Starke and Sonya, eerily quiet but staring intently at her, not backing down until Starke places a hand on her head and shakes his own quietly.
"Nevertheless, we were all drawn here for a reason. There is no need for fighting because of old grudges forged by the old of our kind."
Starke sighs and whispers softly.
"Useless strength without discipline. Pointless fury without control."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-09, 11:35 AM
Sonya doesn't even bat an eyelid. "I already said that you may stay. The prey is plentiful, and lions do not feed on wolves. Regardless, something about this clearing tells me we are all meant to meet here."

Wyntonian
2012-06-09, 01:59 PM
Cadmael looks around the loose circle. "So, none of us have a concrete reason why we're here? But we all arrived at the same time at the same place. If you were Orckin, I'd say this was the work of the Ancestors."

Fredaintdead
2012-06-09, 02:22 PM
"This is the work of something higher than us indeed. If it is the Orckin ancestors so be it. Any being, divine or not, that can preserve a place such as this is worth paying some attention too."

THEChanger
2012-06-09, 02:39 PM
"Indeed."
A voice rang out through the trees, loud, but old and tired. It seemed to come from all directions, echoing through the forest and bouncing from the trees. Both Starke and Sonya can feel the earth rumble beneath their feet, as though something deep below the ground was tunneling it's way to the surface.

"Welcome, children."
A second voice boomed forth. It too was old, but full of vigor and energy. It sounded from the sky above, and a fierce wind blew down upon the assembled six, as though a storm suddenly had riled itself up. Cadmael and Therro could both feel electric energy running across their skin, as though the air itself were charged, about to burts.

"It is time."
A third voice spoke. It crashed over the assembled six like a tidal wave, almost being loud enough to hurt, and then quiet as the wave sliding back out to sea. The air filled with the smell of the sea, salty and heavy. Ainariël and Crisal felt the earth tilt back and forth under their feet, as though they were on a ship once more.

From the earth burst a huge column of stone, glowing with a strange green light. From the sky fell, like a flash of lightning, another monolith, glowing with a gray light the color of storm clouds. A third monolith seemed to form itself out of the water of the spring, glowing a dark blue, the color of deepest ocean.

"We are the greatest among the Fey. I am Mother Earth."
"I am Father Sky."
"I am Lord Oceanus.
"We have called each of you here for a special purpose."
"The world has grown sick, and twisted."
"It's people use and abuse our gifts."

"And we grow tired of it!

"So we charge you six with this task."
"You shall have a year and a day."
"Convince the mortals of this world to treat us with greater respect, and to value the world they live in."

"Or we shall destroy this world and start anew!"

Fredaintdead
2012-06-09, 02:57 PM
"As the fey command. This world will hear a Lion roar in defiance one last time at least."
Starke drops to one knee in reverance of the three great spirits.
"The denizens of this world, man and beast alike, can and will be saved."

whoiam
2012-06-09, 04:20 PM
"On a practical note..." Just because Ainariel found the manifestations of nature impressive, didn't stop her mind from switching quickly to the likely problems they'd encounter. "Will you be doing anything to help, or are we on our own? For instance, would you make an example of the first nation that refused to listen to us, so that the others would take our message seriously? Would you help with transport for those of us not used to traversing great distances in a hurry?" She meant the wolf lady there. Someone who'd likely never been outside the current forest probably didn't have arrangements made for intercontinental travel... "Powerful as I, and presumeably the others present, have become... I don't think the six of us are enough to force a major nation to obey without your help..."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-09, 05:31 PM
Sonya gives a dubious nod.
"The world without only dubiously deserves such a chance." she spits. "...but I for one will do as I can."

Wyntonian
2012-06-09, 06:09 PM
Cadmael kneels at the manifestation of divine power before him. "If by my life or death, I can serve you, I will. I offer you my sword."

Amakule
2012-06-10, 06:04 AM
This was not amongst the things Therro expected to happen, but he showed no sign of concern. Only awe sprawled across his gentle face. When they finish, he bows his head, saying only "I accept your quest."

The Crash Man
2012-06-10, 09:51 AM
Unlike the others, Crisal wasn't so calm. He looked nervously from side to side as voices rumbled from all sides. The ground shook beneath his feet and strange monoliths emerged from the earth, land, and sky, but halfway through he noticed he wasn't trembling anymore. His fear was gone, replaced solely by determination.

This was where he was meant to be. This was the call of the wild, and he was going to heed it.

He looked at the others, slowly starting to kneel. Some of them were unreadable, obviously impressed with nature's spectacle. The talking wolf sounded almost hostile: would she want the world destroyed? In contrast, the friendly half-giant (Starke, was it?) had the same viewpoint as he harbored. At least Crisal would have one ally in the quest to save mankind and nature alike.

Crisal started to kneel, at first with unsteadiness but soon with surprisingly great vigor for a creature so small. The halfling reverently sat on one knee, head bowed so low that he nearly touched the floor.

"I-I may be small, but I will do my best to serve the forces of nature. I . . . I won't fail you!"

THEChanger
2012-06-10, 11:23 PM
A deep chuckle came from the monolith in the spring.

"Practical indeed, my Elven champion is. Indeed, you shall have our assistance, should you truly require it."

"But your goals are ill-served by force of arms. Words are your strongest allies here. Something I suspect you shall have to learn, wolf-sister."

"But if all are in agreement, then the pact is struck! Step forward, champions of the Three!"

The glow emenating from each of the mighty stone monuments grew, and the air began to shimmer from the sheer power concentrated in such a small area. From each two bolts of lightning shot forth, striking each member of the newly formed group of heralds square in the chest. Instead of being fried alive, each hero felt their bodies surge with power. A glowing rune briefly appeared upon the point where the lightning struck, and then faded away.

"Now you bear our Marks! Go, and let none slow your travels!"

Just as suddenly as the monoliths had appeared, they vanished. A vast silence filled the grove, as the animals frightened by the sudden manifestation of nature's fury slowly returned to their daily habits. Each of the heralds could still feel the presence of their patron within them, blessed by nature. Now all that remained would be to decide where to start.

Therro/Matmellon
You now instinctivly know you are once more able to fly.

whoiam
2012-06-12, 03:17 PM
As (apparently) both the least religiously inclined party member (and the biggest cynic), Ainariel was the fastest to regain her composure after the branding.

"Alright, before we begin charging off, there are some questions we should be asking ourselves. The first is, who are we and what do we do? My name is Ainariël Melwasúl. I'm an elf, but something of an outcast from my people, so having me with the party isn't going to make any elves we encounter inclined to help us. I've been working as a nature guide for trading and exploration ships the last few decades. I am a talented singer and a passable lutenist, as suits any travelling bard.

Oh, yes... and I happen to be a classically trained Druid. Which is why this birdie" she gestures at Matmellon, a Dire Eagle, " follows me around so readily.

Your turns."

Fredaintdead
2012-06-12, 05:07 PM
"Starke. Son of Macht, Warblade of the Fathers of Stone, and Hilda Proudclaw of the Mountainclaw Clan."
Starke draws himself up to his full height.
"You can probably tell by looking at me, but I am a Barbarian and a Half-Giant. For the last twenty years I've been guarding the entire Savannah beneath the mountains from all manners of threats. While I cannot offer magical assistance, and I do not possess a voice that moves nations, on any who would harm you, or stand in our way, face the wrath of the Lion, the discipline of Iron Heart, and the heat of Desert Wind. As of now, you are my Spiritkin, and I will lay down my life to keep you all safe if that is what it takes."
He pats the large Lion next to him gently on the head.
"The Lioness is Lucy. A companion of mine who has been with me since my first days in the Savannah."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-12, 06:20 PM
"I am the alpha of this forest." says Sonya levelly-before adding as an afterthought. "And an archer."

The Crash Man
2012-06-12, 07:18 PM
"I-I may not look like much, but I have quite a few tricks up my sleeves. I c-can change my form with ease, whether strengthening this body or changing into a new one.

L-like this-"

Crisal's form started to shift and change. His back hunched over until he was on all fours, white tufts of fur sprouted from his body, and his fingers sharpened into claws. His features were oddly serene as they slowly changed from a face into a muzzle, giving the impression that he had done this many times before. Nonetheless, there was still a pained look in his eye as the transformation neared his end: no amount of training could ever make complete bodily reconstruction painless.

The effect went from impressive to comical, though, when Crisal continued to be just as bashful in polar bear form.

"I-I know I don't look like I fit in, but I'm not familiar with many animals outside of the Arctic . . . yet."

New physical stats are Str 27, Dex 13, and Con 21 (Con boosted by the Vow of Poverty bonuses, as they are feat-granted rather than innate.)

Wyntonian
2012-06-12, 08:02 PM
Cadmael stands up, as tall as the half-giant. "I'm Cadmael Gadwaldr. I'm an ordained shaman, trained in calling and treating with spirits. I am also a competent warrior, with their aid. And, while we're doing showing off..." He closes his eyes for a moment and inhales deeply. As he lets the breath out, it turns to a thick mist and weaves itself around him until he is thoroughly cloaked. With a further effort, a passing breeze forms itself into tangible armored plates of a dark storm-front shade and floats over to affix itself to his body.

"See? Good armor."

Amakule
2012-06-13, 09:48 AM
After the monoliths disappear, Therro puts on a more serious demeanor. "I am Skysworn master Therro Hain, and I am a defender of peace." he bows once again, to the group. "Though I am capable in combat arts, I hope to accomplish the task of the great fey without shedding blood."

whoiam
2012-06-14, 06:23 PM
"Second, decisions. With only six of us against the entire world, we cannot afford to be working at cross-purposes. This means that when we do act, we must all be acting towards the same goals, and ideally on the same plan.

How do we achieve this? Vote on courses of action beforehand? Pick a Leader to coordinate us? Something or anything between the two?

Personally, I would prefer to select a leader. There's a reason all the big ships have Captains - ships that operate democratically tend not to operate at all. But then, we may be a small and unified enough group that this proves unnecessary."

Quietly, she thinks to herself Actually, we've displayed the unity of a six-way succession war so far, but they may still surprise me...

Fredaintdead
2012-06-14, 06:40 PM
"None of us know each other well enough to choose a leader. And I have a feeling some of us may be uncomfortable with someone outright stating that they are in charge of this mission. Perhaps for now we simply act as one collaborative unit, and then adjust if a leader arises amongst us in the future."
Starke looks quizzical for a moment.
"But for now, we do need to decide how we intend to make the people of this world take better care of it. After all, I doubt simply going to their leaders and suggesting they change is going to work. And neither is breaking down doors and demanding it at swordpoint."

Lix Lorn
2012-06-14, 07:09 PM
Sonya nods.
"Somehow we need to make it obvious that everything will be better if they listen to us, and they'll all be dead if they don't." she says bluntly.

The Crash Man
2012-06-15, 12:57 PM
"Maybe . . .

Maybe we could try helping out. Don't come in breaking everything and screaming like crazy people, but instead help make things better. Maybe then they'll see our way works!"

Wyntonian
2012-06-15, 07:08 PM
Cadmael sits heavily on a nearby log, letting his cloak and armor dissipate. "Right enough, but what's "our way"? Not actively destroying nature? Perhaps these people need a little more than a cuff on the head to make them stop."

whoiam
2012-06-15, 08:16 PM
"I honestly believe that, given infinite time, we could convert the entire world without a single deliberate act of violence.

Sadly, I also believe that the gap between 'One Year' and 'Infinite Time' is large enough to mean total pacifism won't solve the problem in time.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards finding a faction in each region whose leader will listen to us - and grasp our message - and then involving ourselves enough in their struggles with their rivals to get that one faction into overall control. And to remind its leader that we're powerful enough to replace them with another, if needs be."

Amakule
2012-06-16, 02:54 PM
"I agree with you, Ainariël. Though, I hope you are wrong in regards to force necessary." Therro's face is stern and focused. "We should start with settlements on Crossroads Island. As the most industrious and dependent on the abuse of nature, they will be the hardest to convince to change their ways. The more time available, the more those of influence can do their work."

Fredaintdead
2012-06-21, 10:01 AM
"Good thinking. If we can solve what is essentially the root of the problem, then we'll have a much easier task of changing the rest of the world."
Starke looks towards the horizon.
"If all is settled, we should be making haste."

whoiam
2012-06-21, 04:27 PM
"Alright, then. I'd probably have picked an easier target to start off on - if we're going to make mistakes on this we'll make them the first time around, and better if that first run isn't wasted on the group we'll need the most work to convince."

Ainariel offers the rest of them a somewhat disinterested shrug.

"Then again, humans are also one of the easier groups to persuade, so it may not be as bad a choice as I fear. Anyway, since we're still in her forest, I'm sure we could prevail upon the Alpha here to lead us to the edge. We could probably all find a path if we needed to, but she'll know the best ones. Lead on, dear wolf, lead on."

Wyntonian
2012-06-24, 10:35 PM
Cadmael stands up as well, settling the sword across his back and picking up his staff of pine and holly. "I know this land as well, my tribe hails from a couple day's journey away. Let's be off."

Amakule
2012-06-30, 04:15 PM
"Whoever is most adept at leading us out of here is fine by me." Therro is eager to get the quest on track, and he follows Cadmael out.

Fredaintdead
2012-06-30, 04:51 PM
"Let's be on our way then."
And with that, Starke follows whoever is leading. This isn't the savannah after all, and even Lions need to bow their heads sometimes.

Lix Lorn
2012-06-30, 05:16 PM
Sonya, who was a little caught of guard by the talk of boats and ships, finally comes out of her reverie having missed her chance to take charge. She quietly shrinks back into her canine form, and follows them like an embarrassed puppy.

Whoops I missed the post of someone talking to her. Either I derped or was in a /terrible/ mood, sorry.

Wyntonian
2012-06-30, 05:52 PM
Recalling several voyages to the coast, Cadmael quickly finds a suitable trail towards the nearest sizable port and sets off, clearly at home in the wilderness.

Feel free to take over, THEChanger.

THEChanger
2012-06-30, 08:46 PM
And so the six set off, flying swiftly through the forest and down the hills. With a quick pit stop to explain things to Cadmael's tribe, the newly minted Heralds found themselves in the port of Swampsmouth in three days time.

Swampsmouth was aptly named, being built where the waters of Blackwater Swamp filtered out into the World Ocean. A smaller sized city, it was run by Mayor Abarca, a fairly just man. With a thriving fishing trade, as the Heralds entered the city, their noses were assaulted by the overpowering smell of fish. Swampsmouth was not a huge trading city, but being a human colony, enough ships passed between here and Crossroads Island that one could probably be hired-or stolen.

The question being, how would the Heralds find their boat? And where would they start?

whoiam
2012-07-01, 03:23 AM
"Ahh, a port. I spend way too much of my life in these places. Alright, people, I'm going to go visit the taverns and look for a captain whose ears still work. Starke, I'd appreciate it if you and Lucy remained outside the city until after we've found transport - as Matmellon and I learned long ago, when you've got a pet larger than the captain you're trying to negotiate with, they tend to get a little nervous about negotiating with you."

As she's talking, Ainariel 'suggests' to her animal companion that this would be a good time to circle far overhead instead of following her near the ground. Matmellon (having been through this routine many times before) immediately starts gaining altitude. She can watch her master from far enough up to not trouble civilians on the ground, after all.

"You should be fine, though, Alpha." Sonya never actually gave a name in her introduction, after all, simply referring to herself as the alpha of her forest. "Stick close to heel and I doubt there's anyone in that Swampsmouth who could tell you from a wolf-dog.

I don't really *need* help to find passage for 5 people and 3 animals, but anyone happy to brave the smell for longer than they need to is welcome to come along. "

--Pause for the rest of you to decide who's coming into the port with me, then I'll continue.

Fredaintdead
2012-07-01, 07:33 AM
"While they should learn that they have nothing to fear from me or Lucy as long as they remain unhostile to us, I will agree to your request for the time being."
Starke frowns, clearly not happy about being forced to stay behind. He's not THAT big after all, and Lucy isn't THAT ferocious.

Lix Lorn
2012-07-01, 11:54 AM
Sonya gives a slow nod, too busy being uncomfortable about the boats to be insulted by the dog comment.

Wyntonian
2012-07-01, 12:40 PM
Cadmael steps forward to join the elf. "I've heard that humans aren't terribly chivalrous, especially those in ports. I'll come."

Lix Lorn
2012-07-01, 04:12 PM
Suddenly having a thought, Sonya blinks, regaining her normal form.
"I'm afraid it may be a few more... before I left, I told three of my pack to follow behind me. I'm not sure how far back they lurk, but I cannot leave them."
She seems slightly apologetic for forgetting.

whoiam
2012-07-02, 02:10 PM
"I know that. They don't. When you're trying to make a good impression on someone, it pays - sometimes literally - to consider what situations look like from *their* perspective. And their perspective is just going to be 'My Gods, look at that giant cat! It could eat me in two gulps and those strangers from out of town haven't even bothered to muzzle or leash it! This cannot stand, let us go fetch the watch, the mob of angry and ill-informed peasants, the flaming torches and the pitchforks! Drive the monster OUT!'."

As a side note, Ainariel did a very good rustic peasant voice. She'd probably never admit that it was probably closer to her 'true' native accent than the cultured tones she usually used. She had grown up as a farm slave, after all.

"Right. Four Wolves, one Lion, One Dire Eagle, and the five of us who travel as bipeds. Does anyone else have any Gold on them? I'm thinking we may end up paying up front for this one..."

Fredaintdead
2012-07-02, 02:29 PM
"If they attempt to drive me out like that then the world will find itself missing a town. And you might want to tell the cowards about the irritated Giantfolk nearby then, warn them not to make any jokes about me grinding bones to bake my bread. I have around 400 gold pieces anyway. It has been a while since I have had to use coins for anything other than melting them down for something useful in Grandfather's forge, so I am not sure how far that would go, but I assume we should all split the cost of transport equally."

whoiam
2012-07-02, 02:45 PM
"...and we'll find ourselves missing a boat and potentially garnering a very nasty reputation in the process. We've got a year to convince the entire world to follow our lead: If we just start burning little shipping ports all we'll achieve in the year is a large bounty on our heads. Which is why we have to try and anticipate these problems before some ill-educated peasants blow up over a misunderstanding."

...or before some hot-headed colleague of mine blows them up over a misunderstanding and an awful lot of pride...

Amakule
2012-07-02, 03:54 PM
"Here." Therro pulls out four platinum and hands them to Ainariel. "I can't imagine it'll cost so much just for a trip, but better safe than sorry. Perhaps you'll encounter someone willing to sell a boat in good condition. I'm going to have a look around town." and he heads off to see if the town's people are respecting the wishes of the great fey.

Fredaintdead
2012-07-02, 04:26 PM
"I never said I'd burn anything.
Starke sighs.
I apologise, what I am is very important to me."
Starke remains where he is, tensed somewhat, but more relaxed than he was a few moments ago.

Lix Lorn
2012-07-02, 04:27 PM
"I have... I'm unsure as to the exact amounts." admits Sonya, fishing into a small satchel, pulling out a handful of platinum coins. "How many would we need?"

The Crash Man
2012-07-02, 09:38 PM
"O-oh, gold? I don't carry gold . . . I'm an ascetic."

While usually just quietly listening to what everyone else had to say, Crisal decided to pipe up once finances were the topic of the day.

"But if we need to get the world saved in a year, we can't waste any time. But at the same time, dealing with prejudices is going to be hard . . .

We'll need to walk the high road and set a good example. E-every town we wrong is another town that won't listen . . ."

whoiam
2012-07-03, 04:40 PM
"A couple of those each and another one or two for each 'animal' would be about the normal rate." Correspondingly, she would take four of Sonya's Platinum to go with the four Therro and carefully stowed them in a different pocket from her own stash. She didn't want them to get mixed in together - and certainly didn't want anyone else to get the impression she was just pocketing their money.

It would be hard to convince the rest of the world to trust them if they couldn't trust each other.

Alongside everyone that had wanted to go with her (which I think is everyone except Therro and Starke?), Ainariel headed into town.

Along the way, she explained to the others "Most of the shipping back to Crossroads Island is done by members of the Brotherhood of Oroborous. So, my plan's pretty simple. I'm going to walk into their guildhouse, sing a couple of songs, then ask who'll offer me the best rate to get back to Crossroads Island. While they'll normally always offer paying travellers passage, if you can convince some of the captains they *want* you on their ship you get better rates. Especially if several of them want to take you, I've inspired inverse auctions before..."

THEChanger
2012-07-07, 10:08 PM
Ainariel and Company

As the four of you moved through the town, the first thing that struck you was the sheer amount of grime in the city. It was a rather odd feeling, having to watch your step to avoid stepping in mud, piles of detrius, or worse. Indeed, it seemed like even the buildings were covered in a thin layer of dust and grime-perhaps the sanitation department wasn't getting payed?

In any case, the lot of you finally make your way to the guildhouse of the Brothers of Orobrous. In construction, it seemed more like a temple than a place of business-graced with stone serpents, and a gigantic two headed snake at the very top. There were many workers climbing all over the building, scrubing it clean of the dirt which had accumilated over the town. Come to think of it, many of the larger buildings had similar crew working on them.

But Ainariel played her song. And it was very beautiful. The workers upon the guildhouse stopped their work, and stared down, marvelling at the talented desert beauty who graced them with her prescence. Indeed, many windows opened, and men and women alike poked their heads out to get a better look at the source of the melodious sound. As the song faded, there was clapping from the onlookers, a few whistles, and some cries of "Encore, encore!"

But these were silenced by the opening of the great oak doors which were the entrance to the guildhouse. Out stepped a man, cloaked in a pitch black robe, with piercing blue eyes which sparkled in the sunlight. His smile was cold as the wind of Crisal's homelands. "It is not often we have visitors here from Har-Shadan, nor from Vanir. Welcome to our humble town. I am Claude Frollo, Guildmaster of the Brothers in this port. How may I assist you?"

Therro
Walking in a general northward direction, you quickly found yourself in what appeared to be the mercantile district. You noted the same amount of grime as the others. However, many shopkeepers had already begun the clean-up in the area of their businesses. You also saw more than a few shops whose roofs had caved in-or were smashed.

About the time Ainariel's group found themselves face to face with the Guildmaster Frollo, you entered a large market square. It was high noon, and the place should have been bustling with hagglers and vendors. Instead, you found a worn and filthy place, where tiny cyclones whipped dirt and cloth. A few men and women worked to clean the place, throwing buckets of water and sweeping up the mess. The remains of what must have been food carts remained scattered about the square. The strangest part was that none of the people cleaning seemed the least bit distressed about what was occuring.

Starke
As you wait outside the town, doing who knows what, the roads to the north and south catch your eyes. You can see Blackwater Swamp, for which the town is named, extend on northward, and to the south, the once-noble Twistheart Forest. You knew of Twistheart-it was one of the larger marks of Morteregis' corruption upon Malthan, and an unfortunate reminder of what had passed. The air was calm, almost uncomfortably so.

Which was probably why you could hear the screeching.

It wasn't a human voice, for it was too shrill. Almost sounding like a bird of prey, from what you could tell it came from the swamp. It was loud, harsh against your ears. Then, as suddenly as the screeching had begun, it stopped, and all was again quiet.

Fredaintdead
2012-07-08, 08:11 AM
Starke tenses his muscles, leaning back and drawing his sword instinctively. He listens and watches closely in the direction of the swamp.
Lucy does the same as she notices her master tense.

Starke activates Punishing Stance, gaining +1d6 damage per attack, but taking a -2 penalty to AC (dropping from 18 to 16).
Starke listen check: [roll0]
Starke spot check: [roll1]
Lucy listen check: [roll2]
Lucy spot check: [roll3]

whoiam
2012-07-08, 09:19 AM
Ainariel extended a hand towards Claude as soon as he'd finished introuding himself. She was smiling as well, but hers was rather warmer than his. "I am known as Ainariël Melwasúl, a Bard trained in the old Elven styles. Some of your brothers may have heard of me - my Eagle and I make the trips out to Malthan and the Mordan Isles fairly often, have done for decades now. I serve as a wilderness guide for expeditions like this lot - " she gestures at Crisal and Cadmael - "whenever I want a break from performing on Crossroads. Now if I actually want to get paid for my little holiday, I've got to get them and the animals they collected back to Crossroads.

So I need to find a Captain willing to take us. In total, there's five Humanoids, four Wolves, a Lion and my pet Dire Eagle. Now, I'd never dream of trying to influence your brotherhood's minds as to what they'd carry or for how much, " although the fact that she was speaking loudly enough to be heard by the people leaning out of the windows indicated that some of that statement wasn't entirely accurate... "but I do sing on sea voyages... and I'm not averse to doing a proper recital for the Brotherhood before I go."

[roll0]

And now we see why she sang *first*. Offering her voice as a bribe would have been worthless a few minutes ago, but now with half the Brotherhood dying for an encore, it held real value... not least because if she didn't perform for the Brotherhood again, then they'd all know who to blame...

Amakule
2012-07-11, 08:32 PM
Concerned for the health of the villagers, Therro walks up to a shopkeeper, "What happened here?" and begins to help clean up, using the wind to move what is too vile to touch.

THEChanger
2012-07-22, 07:47 PM
Ainariel and Company

When you mentioned finding a captain, the air became deathly still, and Claude's face blanched pale white. "I...err...that is..." Claude sighed. It is obvious something is troubling him greatly. "Perhaps we should have this conversation inside. Please, won't you join me?"

Therro
The merchants in the square smiled as you helped to clean the filth. "Thank you, stranger. It is a most unfortunate thing which has befallen our port. Every night, while we sleep, something comes out of the swamp. It spreads this filth, burns our ships with some acid, and destroys anything left out in the open. No one who remains outside after sundown comes back. Your help is apprieciated, but if you are planning to remain in the area for any length of time, I'd suggest finding somewhere covered to stay."

Starke
Once the screeching faded, the silence returned, the air once more still. Though it is faint, you thought you could see something in the air above the forest. But whatever it was, if there was something there, it quickly dipped beneath the swamp's canopy, vanishing from sight.

Amakule
2012-07-23, 06:21 AM
"Have you seen this creature that terrorizes your streets?" Therro could not simply pass through as the town was terrorized by a swamp monster. He fully intends to help the people of Swampsmouth, confident that one day will not make a difference in the main mission. All the heroes must do is stand at the Northern entrance of the town and make the beast stop attacking the town.

Fredaintdead
2012-07-23, 09:14 AM
Starke growls , his grip tightening on his sword, remaining tense for a few minutes before sheathing his sword again and relaxing somewhat. He then folds his arms and waits, eyes focused on the swamp.

whoiam
2012-07-24, 10:30 AM
"There's a problem, isn't there?" Luckily her reaction to Claude was more disappointment than anger, as she allowed him to lead her and her companions indoors. And her ability to state the obvious was strong as ever.

As they walked inside, she continued. "I don't think it's a lack of ships. I can see some in the harbour. And I know they wouldn't be there unless they were yours. So there's some other problem... is it Plague? War? Endless Locusts eating your sails each morning? Come on, tell us - we may be able to help."

Switching to a somewhat more determined tone, she added "And with the alternative being 'herding wolves and a lion down the coast to the next port', we're definitely willing."

THEChanger
2012-07-24, 11:08 PM
Inside Claude's Office
The inside of the Guildhall was just as impressive as it's outside, and much cleaner. With floors of marble, and gold patterns lining the halls, it was clear that a large amount of money went into the construction of this place. A mahogany door, stained a dark red, was the entrance to the Guildmaster's office. A similar opulance could be found there, the centerpiece of the room being a large leather chair behind a sturdy granite desk. "Now, as to our issue." The Guildmaster sighed, and pulled out a sheet of parchment. Upon it was a charcoal sketch. The creature pictured upon it looked like something out of a child's nightmare. The beast started as a cross between a wolf and a lizard, but with a few key differences. The forelegs seemed to have been replaced by two bat-like wings, and the tail extended up and over the back, curling like a scorpion. Indeed, it ended in a stinger not unlike those desert insects-except this tail split in two. "This is as best a representation of what lives in Blackwater Swamp as we were able to capture. A few weeks ago, they attacked our town, flying out of the swamp and spreading filth and disease everywhere. That first attack they contented themselves with destroying our property. But now, they either slaughter or kidnap anyone left outside after sundown. Every night they come back. What's worse, if a ship tries to leave the harbor, it is sunk. None of us have been able to kill them, they move too fast. So we barricade ourselves in at night, and clean up as best we can each morning." Claude eyed the group, and stroked a small goatee thoughtfully. "You know, if you can get rid of these things for me, I'll take you to Crossroads myself, free of charge. I need to report back about all this anyway. I might as well have you with me."

The Marketplace
"I've not seen it myself. But I hear tell-" The man looked about suspiciously. Evidently satisfied no one was around who shouldn't hear what he was about to say, he leaned in closer to Therro. "I hear tell they're some sort of corrupted beasts, made by the blood of that foul dragon-thing that popped up not too long ago. No one's really sure though, except the Brothers of Orobrous. They're the only ones who got a good look at them, the first night the things attacked." With Therro's help, the marketplace seemed relatively clean, and the man smiled, going over to a small cart. "Name's Mordacai, by the way. I sell assorted magical trinkets. Mostly fun little toys for the kids. If you ever need anything while you're here, stop by. Your help's most apprieciated."

Outside the City
Nothing else came over the swamp, nor did any more shrieking sound. Whatever is in that swamp, it seemed to have quieted down, for now.

whoiam
2012-08-02, 03:50 PM
"It does not look as though we are getting on a boat unless we help, so yes, we'll see what we can do. Is there anyone around town that's survived a close encounter with them? It may be useful to hear the tales first-hand before we tackle the problem ourselves..."

Not that hard of a choice, really. Walking to another port was easier, but they only had a year to get around the entire world, so right now time mattered far more than the danger.

[roll0]

Amakule
2012-08-03, 02:24 AM
Therro looked out to the marketplace with satisfaction, "My name is Therro Haine, and it was my pleasure to help, Mordacai." He motioned to shake Mordacai's hand, but pulled it back when he saw the grime coating their hands. "I'll stop by before I depart, but I've got to tell my companions of the monsters. Where might I find these brothers?"

What time of day is it?
What season?

THEChanger
2012-09-03, 07:41 PM
Inside Claude's Office

Claude shook his head. "The beasts are vicious, and those who are not slaughtered in the street are carried off into the swamps. But I thank you for your assistance, and you will of course have salvaging rights on anything you find within the swamp."

The Marketplace
"If you head towards the water, and then just south, you'll see their guildhouse. Big stone serpents on it, can't miss it." Mordaci threw up a lazy salute, and began opening up his cart. "I'll be hear for awhile, if you decide you want to buy anything. Just make sure you're back inside before night falls!"

It is roughly noon-time, and in the middle of spring.