PDA

View Full Version : Resist Energy — that stacks! (3.5 spells, PEACH)

TuggyNE
2012-06-06, 01:23 AM
I have always hated that resist energy and protection from energy explicitly don't stack. So here is a higher-level version of resist energy that will!

Energy Ward
Abjuration
Level: Clr/FvS 3, Drd 3, Pal 3, Rgr 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One willing creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

"Fear no dragon!"

This abjuration grants a creature limited protection from damage of whichever one of five energy types you select: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. The subject gains energy resistance 15 against the energy type chosen, meaning that each time the creature is subjected to such damage (whether from a natural or magical source), that damage is reduced by 15 points before being applied to the creature’s hit points. The value of the energy resistance granted increases by 5 points for every 2 caster levels above 5th, to a maximum of 40 at caster level 15. The spell protects the recipient’s equipment as well.

Energy ward absorbs only damage. The subject could still suffer unfortunate side effects.

Note: energy ward stacks with protection from energy, but overlaps with resist energy. If a character is guarded by protection from energy and energy ward, the resistance is applied before the protection spell absorbs any remaining damage, until its power is exhausted. Additional castings of energy ward on the same subject may add resistance to different energy types without suppressing existing castings; for example, energy ward: fire and energy ward: sonic may both be cast on the same target to give both fire resistance and sonic resistance of the appropriate amount.

You'll also notice that I increased the maximum resistance another step, and in a way that allows Reserves of Strength to start doing funky things (whether this is a good idea is another matter).

Energy Ward, Mass
Level: Clr/FvS 4, Drd 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One or more willing creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart

As energy ward, except as noted.

And a fairly straight-forward mass version.

Any suggestions on how to word this more precisely or clearly are welcomed, and criticisms of the purpose are at least grudgingly tolerated. :smalltongue::smallcool:

Oh yeah, one last thing: I considered making this a fourth-level spell that wraps resistance and protection into one package; however, since it would have to contain language on additional castings of protection from energy during the duration, I decided it was a bit too complicated.

Now has a specific exception to usual spell stacking rules to allow multiple resistances of different types at the same time.

Ashtagon
2012-06-06, 03:57 AM
The mass version of spells are usually either 3 or 4 levels above the single-person version. Two seems a bit small a jump for the extra power.

TuggyNE
2012-06-06, 05:16 AM
The mass version of spells are usually either 3 or 4 levels above the single-person version. Two seems a bit small a jump for the extra power.

I was basing this off mass resist energy in SpC, which has the same pattern (Drd/Clr go up one level, Sor/Wiz two). If you really feel that's unreasonable, though, I suppose I could change it.

TuggyNE
2012-10-29, 04:09 AM
Updated to specifically circumvent annoying spell stacking rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#stackingEffects).