PDA

View Full Version : Soo....Does anyone else enjoy "The Winx Club"?

Starwulf
2012-06-06, 02:26 AM
Hehe, I'll admit, I'm a staunch Pony disliker, but for whatever reason I very much enjoy "The Winx Club", and have for about the last 9 months when I saw my first episode while my then 3(now 4) year old daughter was watching it. I don't know what it is, I just enjoy the storyline, both the main and the subplots. Btw, this is my "coming out" as a lover of something quite so girly, so take it easy on me! LOL.

Lord Seth
2012-06-06, 12:27 PM
I remember watching an early episode and not really liking it, but later watching a later episode (this was all in season 1) and thinking it was better and watching until the end of the season. Wasn't amazing, but it was decent enough. So then I thought maybe I misjudged it and started watching from the beginning...nope, the early episodes were actually bad, the series just didn't get decent until about halfway through the first season.

Then I gave the second season a try and it seemed kind of "meh" again so I just quit watching. I think W.I.T.C.H. was far better.

Killer Angel
2012-06-06, 12:43 PM
I think W.I.T.C.H. was far better.

This is just to inform you that you're not alone. :smallsmile:

Melayl
2012-06-06, 09:04 PM
I have seen episodes of both, and am not ashamed to say I liked both of them. Maybe a tid bit embarrassed, but not much...

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-06, 09:24 PM
Ehh its not the worst and I'm amazed its still around, but I always thought the show a pale shadow of W.I.T.C.H. and even say Sailor Moon.

I could rag on the show a lot but hey anything that has an all girl team actually being heroic in any way I will give some credit. As opposed to say Strawberry Shortcake, damn you Hub why must you torment those that just want to watch some ponies with that thing before ponies.... oh right thread started by mentioning ponies is not about ponies.

Anyways I remember that while I did give it a shot back in the day and I truly could not escape the impression I was watching BarbieBratz Fairy Rangers! (Barbie is more restrained in visual design)

irenicObserver
2012-06-07, 11:58 AM
When the show first came out I had some apprehensions over the cheap-looking animation and really really "girly" atmosphere. I enjoyed it for a season or two but now it just seems weird. Does Bloom have the strongest, legendary source of magic? Whose the new Big Bad Evil Guy that seems to be superior to the Three Witches? What the heck is Believix?

In all, I found the whole setting kind of clunky. It was decent but it could have been loads better.

Starwulf
2012-06-08, 01:27 AM
When the show first came out I had some apprehensions over the cheap-looking animation and really really "girly" atmosphere. I enjoyed it for a season or two but now it just seems weird. Does Bloom have the strongest, legendary source of magic? Whose the new Big Bad Evil Guy that seems to be superior to the Three Witches? What the heck is Believix?

In all, I found the whole setting kind of clunky. It was decent but it could have been loads better.

Hehe, Blooms Dragon fire magic I BELIEVE enhances her Enchantrix and Believex powers. Believex powers are obtained once the fairies have managed to convince a single person that fairies are real. The thing about them though, is that the more people they convince, the stronger their powers grow.

Right now that is their mission, to increase the believers on Earth in order to strengthen their Believex Powers so that they can combat the Wizards of the Black Circle, a group of evil Wizards who many years ago wiped out all the Earth Fairies, except for one that apparently hadn't been born yet. Now the girl is of age and has started showing powers and they are back trying to capture her, which will complete the transcendence to ultimate power.

Initially(first episode or two), they thought that Bloom was the last Earth Fairy because she was raised on Earth, but that was mere happenstance due to what happened to Blooms real parents(resolved in a movie).

And yes, the super girly atmosphere turned me off initially, but after listening to it while my daughter was watching it while I was half asleep for a week or two, I started to naturally pick up on some of the nuances of the show, and instead of sleeping I started watching it more and more. Kind of odd, since I'm not the type to be interested in something like it, but it grew on me and now I'm a fan.

Anarion
2012-06-08, 01:34 AM
I know that at some point I did watch a couple episodes of it and wasn't disgusted, but I honestly can't remember anything about them. The idea is reasonable though and I enjoy pretty much any show that has the premise of "let's explore how magic works." I do wish they'd go just a step further and use better terms. Believex makes me shudder. Not because it's girly (I'm a pony fan, that ship has sailed), but because it's just really shoddy. Whoever wrote that was having a late night and was just about ready to hit up the bar with some friends.

Aotrs Commander
2012-06-09, 01:57 PM
I liked the first season enough I attempted to get in on DVD, but they quit after only about two or three releases over here.

I've since seen one or two later episodes, but the with the voice-acting change especially, it rather lost it's sheen.

Some of the spell names were dreadful by any standard, though. "Passus Throughus?" Yes gods that was astondingly lazy and patronising writing, even by the low standards of really bad children's television...

I think W.I.T.C.H. was far better.

I also concur, and I even saw Winx first, and it wasn't until I'd seen a few episodes I made that conclusion. I'd even go as far as to say, by the time of the seacon season, W.I.T.C.H is in my top five cartoons. The fact the W.I.T.C.H only had two seasons and the second one was not released on DVD is a crying travesty.

Traab
2012-06-11, 08:25 AM
Meh, I never got into it. When it first came out I was still enjoying my saturday morning cartoons, but I was too old to enjoy some of the more childish ones, (ultimate muscle rocked though) and winx was both too girly, and too much of a kid feeling show for me to comfortably watch.

Metahuman1
2012-06-11, 06:30 PM
The first season wasn't too bad, though part of that may be personal bias from growing up with Sailor Moon as one of my two introductions to Anime (The other was Gundam Wing if anyone's interested.) and reading Harry Potter. I did sorta loose interest after that though as it seemed forced. I though they'd canceled the show ages ago.

And I Whole Heatedly agree that W.I.T.C.H. was vastly Superior. It's one of the animated series I'd LOVE to see revived!