PDA

View Full Version : Skills Tricks and Feats

GutterFace
2012-06-06, 08:01 AM
So i have a L5 Factotum, with now the past posts are piling up...

I have a question. Since we are almost level 6 as a party i need to pick a new feat and do some skill allocations.

I want to take Quick Draw, Iaijutsu Focus.

Here is my question:

Iaijutsu(sp) Focus states that when attacking a flat footed opponent (Feint), immediately after drawing a weapon (Quick Draw) i can roll a Iaijutsu focus check to deal extra damage....

BUT that only works against the first target i would attack right? i mean if there are 2 thieves and i feint and iaijutsu....i cant against the second thief right since i already drew my weapon?

is there a way....i would be able to use Iaijutsu Focus and re-sheath my weapon before doing this again on another creature???

or is this a one and done per combat ability???

marcielle
2012-06-06, 08:24 AM
Switch out QuickDraw for EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor.
It's the most efficient weapon for Iaijutsu.
Greasing anybody with less than 5 ranks in balance flatfoots them.

GutterFace
2012-06-06, 10:03 AM
Yes so i've heard

flat foot is not an issue for me as i can feint or flank

two problems

1) no where to buy the gnomish quick razor in this game and

2) that doesn't even answer my original question

Big Fau
2012-06-06, 10:16 AM
You're gonna need to carry more swords.

animewatcha
2012-06-06, 10:21 AM
*monster is greased and so counted as flat-footed*

*players carry 500 swords and has the quick draw feat*

Player: I quick-draw my sword to iajutsu focus you. After success or failure, I drop the sword ( free action ) and quick-draw another sword so I can iajutsu focus you again in the same full attack action.

So yes, greasing does answer original question.

GutterFace
2012-06-06, 11:29 AM
ah ok i thought that was going to be the answer. i will make sure i tie all sword pommels to my belt so i dont have to remember to pick them up

Airanath
2012-06-06, 11:32 AM
ah ok i thought that was going to be the answer. i will make sure i tie all sword pommels to my belt so i dont have to remember to pick them up

Dancing swords. Once you release them they also attack on their own!

Bloodgruve
2012-06-06, 12:52 PM
Flat footed is different from 'denied Dex bonus'. I don't believe either feinting or flanking will give the status without help, also iirc fainting is a standard action so you'd be getting an IF attack every second round without help.

You can achieve Flat Footed a number of ways; Act before your target does by winning initiative, Hide versus your target, Grease/marbles against a target with less than 5 ranks in balance and a number of spells and maneuvers give it off the top of my head.

I currently run an IF Factotum/Swordsage with Quickrazors and my main tactic is Hide vs the target. I utilize HiPS from Dark Creature template for this. You still need concealment and shadows but I have ways of getting that like Greater Invis or blinding your target with Eggshell Grenades. I can consistently get 2 to 5 IF attacks per round this way using a number of tricks and a massive Hide bonus. Staying hidden through an attack is -20 to the check.

You could carry a bunch of daggers and Quick Draw>drop them per attack for IF. There are also skill tricks like Acrobatic Backstab and Hidden Blade to give Flat Footed. Swordsage has a number of maneuvers that apply it also. I believe there is also a cursed item that makes you draw it whenever you draw any weapon. Not sure if Ammo counts as being 'drawn'. There is also a material, maybe Fey Steel, that gives the weapon 'Quick Draw' iirc.

Look at Item Familiar feat also, it allows you to invest skill ranks to effectivly double one skill. I am running a +34 to IF at level 12 iirc.

It's a very fun build, happy to elaborate if needed.

GL,

Blood~