PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi D20 (or Dwhatever doesn't matter)

Funinyourgame
2012-06-06, 11:14 AM
Hi giant people

Since recently I'm really into Sci-fi games and RPG, but its different play on a consol and act a character. I've been searching for a bit but the only thing that "could" do what I want is White Wolf but even now the rules and weaponry (even stats) are not Sci-fi based enough. I'm looking for something like Deus-ex: Human revolution (Awsome game) and/or Ghost in the shell (Anime serie) or Setting like that. Give me anything you find and I will check everyone of them, thank you for your help.

Have a nice day :smallcool:

radmelon
2012-06-06, 01:25 PM
Well, there is D20 Modern, and the expansion D20 Future, by WotC. That might do for your purposes.

Welknair
2012-06-06, 02:31 PM
As Radmelon mentioned, Modern D20 includes future supplements. There's also the Starwars Saga d20, if you don't mind the starwars setting.

I'd warn you about Modern D20 though... It is far from realistic. Much of it makes even less sense than 3.5.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-06-06, 03:57 PM
Another is Serenity, which is a Roleplaying game based on the Firefly TV show. I enjoy it a lot, and it may have some detail you might want.

zorenathres
2012-06-06, 04:57 PM
there are a bunch of free ogl d20 systems online, everything from "predator" to "battlestar galactica", all free pdf's using the d20 system. just google "predator d20" or "battlestar galactica d20" & your set. a lot of fringe d20 stuff for free too, google "evil dead d20" or "Dune d20"...

of worthy mention, "d20_40k.pdf" for a pretty good warhammer 40k system in d20. it should still be around if not lemme know.

radmelon
2012-06-06, 06:14 PM
Yeah, D20 modern is far from high quality, or even complete. It was fairly rushed when they saw that 4e was going to be made, so you might have to ad-lib quite a bit if you do use it.

Siosilvar
2012-06-06, 06:36 PM
Looking through my folder of games...

Eclipse Phase has a transhuman setting, and is d% based and available free (https://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/) (though they'd like you to pay the $15 if you like it).
Stars Without Number (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=86467&src=SNP_SWN_ImageLink&affiliate_id=323031) is old-school (as in, AD&D) adapted to science fiction.
Synapse (http://errantgame.blogspot.com/p/synapse-rpg.html) can probably do scifi, but its billing is that it can do just about anything. It'll also take a lot of work to build a playable universe, based on my quick read-through. I also don't think it does tech as separate from characters.
I'm also sure Lady Blackbird (http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/) could do scifi with very little modification, but it sounds like you're not looking for anything that rules-light.
There's also Shadowrun, which counts as scifi (but which is definitely NOT space opera; not 100% sure whether that's an issue).

All that said, I haven't played any of these games and am pretty much just collecting them for when I can find a group to play with, so I can't give you

Heian
2012-06-07, 10:07 AM
Let me suggest you Star Wars Saga Edition, stripped of all Lucas' influences it becomes a brilliant Sci Fi role-play system :smallsmile:

Heian
2012-06-07, 10:15 AM
Let me suggest you Star Wars Saga Edition, stripped of all Lucas' influences it becomes a brilliant Sci Fi role-play system :smallsmile:

Ashtagon
2012-06-07, 01:27 PM

This works. This, or GURPS.

Welknair
2012-06-07, 11:34 PM
This works. This, or GURPS.

Gotta love good 'ol GURPS. They have multiple supplements specifically for sci-fi settings.

radmelon
2012-06-08, 09:11 AM
Yeah, GURPS is definitely what I'd recommend. It's complicated, but extremely adaptable.

jedipilot24
2012-06-08, 11:04 AM
Alternity, though an old system long out of print, still retains dedicated fanbase. It was designed as a generic system, capable of being used for any genre. In some respects it was the predecessor of d20 modern but there are key differences--most notably: no d10's, low rolls are preferred over high rolls and there's a mechanic called the situation die where the standard d20 roll (called the control die) is modified by a d4, d6, d8, d12 or d20 to reflect the degree of favorable or unfavorable circumstances.

Funinyourgame
2012-06-08, 12:21 PM
Il will take Grups, I've seen the website and there is more than enough book to play with only need the money now XD

Thank you for your help, hope I can start read one of them soon. BTW if you have a link that let you see a bit for the book (like the first 10th pages) it will help me make a good choice (don't want to waste money in a bad book or one that doesn't fit my idea)

Thank you again and have a nice day :smallcool:

BarroomBard
2012-06-24, 08:49 PM
It was fairly rushed when they saw that 4e was going to be made, so you might have to ad-lib quite a bit if you do use it.

D20 Modern came out six years before Fourth edition, and a year before the revised version of the 3rd edition rules.

So I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

Nimbian
2012-06-24, 10:10 PM
One system not mentioned (and I'm only mentioning because I know how much Strain GMing a Gurps game can be) is Eclipse Phase,

From my read throu it has every thing Gurps has for a Space Setting, can be used in any Sci-fi settings.

radmelon
2012-06-24, 10:58 PM
D20 Modern came out six years before Fourth edition, and a year before the revised version of the 3rd edition rules.

So I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

Well that's disappointing, as that implies that they just didn't care (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyJustDidntCare). :smallsigh:

ngilop
2012-06-24, 11:05 PM
TSR's old scfi-fi generic ruleset ALTERINITY is BAWSS

i know that 99% of everybody loves anything at all D20 but really excpet for high powered fantasy to me it fails at any other incarnation of application to a particular gameplay.

Veklim
2012-06-25, 02:59 AM
There's always BESM, that did space opera rather well.