16|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Major Runes
17|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Sigil of Stasis
18|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|
19|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Epic Runes
20|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Sigil of Death
[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Forgery (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Runecraft (The Rune-based equivalent of Spellcraft) (Int), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

The Runeblade

Runeblades are few in number, and are only trained in The Aimless Tower, Aleric. The Aimless Tower is a flying structure housing many of the more powerful magic-users and their families. While it is not unusual for a resident to leave the Tower, most of them return to visit family and friends quite frequently. Becoming a Runeblade requires a cool head and connections.

Making a Runeblade

Abilities: Strength offers higher attack rolls and slight damage bonuses, which are useful for a Runeblade. Intelligence is an integral part of being a Runeblade, as it affects various abilities and DCs. Wisdom is often appreciated by others in the Tower, and most people with low common sense aren't likely to be taught the Runeblade's skillset. Constitution increases your hit points, and is obviously helpful.
Races: Anyone with a strong affinity for magic can gain access to the tower and the Runeblade's training.
Alignment: While the foundation of 'training' circles around lawful behavior, there are no alignment restrictions for this class.

Class Features

Runeology: A runeblade may activate a single rune as a standard action or as part of an attack at will as long as he is in physical contact with the object it's on. A runeblade must set a condition for a Sigil to be activated, or he can activate it as a Standard action if he is touching it directly (which means it will affect him as well). Once a rune is activated, it remains so for rounds, or until it is dispersed. That means that if a runeblade has a Flaming rune and an Icy rune, he can activate the Flaming rune on one round, and activate the Icy in the next during his attack, and deal +1d6 Fire Damage +1d6 Cold Damage if he hits.

A Runeblade must succeed on a Runecraft check in order to memorize a rune, much as a Wizard would copy a scroll. The difference is that a Runeblade does not use a book to store it - once known, he can access it whenever he wants, but it serves him no other purpose than the ability to make runes of the types known. One can know as many runes as he can succeed on his roll for. He can retry his skill check every time he gets a new point in Runecraft.

The DC used for any Sigil or Rune that requires a save is 10+[Int Mod]+[Runeblade Level].

Erase Rune: A runeblade of 2nd level or higher can take a 10 minute period to remove any rune or sigil from a weapon, item, or other surface, during which he is focused on his task intensely. In the case of runes/sigils that are larger than 5'x5', it takes 10 additional minutes for every other 5' square that it exists on, at DM discretion. If he stops during the process, he must start over again with no prior progress having mattered.

Runes: Runes are magical markings that are placed upon Weapons, and occasionally other surfaces. Runeblades are the only people that can utilize such symbols, and they bear no use nor meaning for anyone untrained in their ways without extensive study or direct 'translations'. A Dispelled Rune acts as a magic item, using the rules for them as such. If Equivalent Spell Levels are needed for calculations, they can be found below, unless otherwise specified in the rune's description. A non-runeblade can attempt to copy a rune, but it holds none of the magical properties unless it is made with help by a runeblade.
A weapon can hold runes based on the runeblade's size category, the weapon's size category, and whether the weapon is a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon. If the weapon is made to be used by a person outside the inscriber's size category, the maximum number of runes changes by 1, 2, or 3 for light, 1H, and 2H weapons respectfully, based on the weapon category (that is, Light, 1H, 2H) for its intended size category, with a minimum of 1. So, a Human Runeblade using a Shortsword would get 1 rune. A Human Runeblade using a Large Shortsword would get 2 runes. A Halfling Runeblade using a Small Shortsword would get 1 rune. A Halfling Runeblade using a Large Shortsword would get 3 runes, because of the two-size-category difference.
Runes are not compatable with other enchantments. When an enchanted item has runes on it activated, the stronger (The Rune, or the net enchantment level) takes precedence. When multiple runes are active, add their levels together. For this, Runes have levels which are as follows.
[I]Simple (+1), Minor (+2), Sub-moderate (+3), Moderate (+4), Major (+5), Epic (+6).
To create a rune, a runeblade must spend gold and time equal to the amount a Wizard would spend crafting a Wand of equivalent level, or he may simply purchase one from a fellow runeblade for approximately double the cost of making it.
In the case of double-weapons, treat each end as a separate weapon. If you are only using one end, only the runes on that end may be used.
Simple (0), Minor (2), Sub-moderate (4), Moderate (5), Major (7), Epic (9).

Simple Light: This rune acts as the spell light when activated, and can be activated from up to 60 ft. away if it is in sight.
Sigma A: Cure Minor Wounds, as the spell. This rune can be used without causing damage, but the target must be touching the weapon.
Daze: As the spell.
Shine: This rune, when placed, is forever active and is compatible with other magical enchantments. The object is immune to normal wear-and-tear, forever looking spiffy. It does not protect it against damage, but blood, acids, oils, and the like do not stick nor do harm to the object, and it can be used, without harm, against monsters that normally dissolve such materials (such as various Oozes). It is protected from non-magical elemental damage (Note: If it sprang from a magical source, such as a Dragon's Fire-breath, it still harms it), as well.

Minor Flame: +1d10 fire damage for every 2 levels of Runeblade the user has.
Ice: +1d10 cold damage for every 2 levels of Runeblade the user has.
Lightning: +1d10 electricity damage for every 2 levels of Runeblade the user has.
Acid: +1d10 acid damage for every 2 levels of Runeblade the user has.
Keen: Threat Range is doubled. (Does not stack with Keen nor Improved Critical)
Sigma B: Cure Light Wounds, as the spell. This rune can be used without causing damage, but the target must be touching the weapon.
Power Attack: Acts as the feat. (Does not qualify you for things that require the feat.)

Sub-moderate Sonic: Your melee attacks gain Range: Close, and do normal damage +1d6 sonic damage for every 2 levels of Runeblade the user has.
Ghost Strike: As Enchantment.
Sigma C: Cure Moderate Wounds, as the spell. This rune can be used without causing damage, but the target must be touching the weapon.
Cleaving: Acts as Great Cleave, the feat.

Moderate Force: Your melee attacks gain Range: Medium, and all damage is changed to force.
Sigma D: Cure Serious Wounds, as the spell. This rune can be used without causing damage, but the target must be touching the weapon.

Major Speed: As Enchantment
Sigma E: Cure Critical Wounds. This rune can be used without causing damage, but the target must be touching the weapon.
Delta: You spend 3 rounds in a sort of suspended animation, and for that time you are flatfooted. If you take damage, treat it as if you were casting a spell. At the end of the three rounds, you roll 1d20. 1-10, nothing happens. 11-20, your target's HP is halved for a week. You may use this multiple times on the same target, the effects are cumulative (always based of off the current Total).

Epic True Strike: You gain +20 on all of your melee rolls for one round. This can only be used twice per encounter.
Heart-Strike: Your melee attacks are Touch Attacks. This can only be used twice per encounter.
Sigma F: Your friend has failed at life and died. You may revive a friend once a month, with this rune. You may only ever make 1 of these.
Time Stop: As the spell, twice a day.

Sigils: Sigils are larger magical markings that are placed on various surfaces, and may also be written onto flat, mobile items. When made, a Runeblade may specify a simple condition upon which the rune will activate, as a contingency (in a sense). In example, one could specify "Activates when stepped on " but not "Activates when a kobold steps on it". They can activate only once unless otherwise specified, and remain in place until they are activated, their surface is destroyed, or it is removed by a Runeblade. To create one requires a process that takes 1 hour, and a location of at least 2 square-feet area unless otherwise specified(doubled or halved based on size-category increase or decrease, respectfully). A runeblade can choose to make it larger, so that it may affect more people when he activates it, but it cannot be smaller because the details are so fine. If he chooses to double its size, it takes double the amount of time. (obviously, keep in mind that you can As sigils are often volatile and filled with arcane energies, it is unwise to place any near eachother. If one unwise sod places more than one within 30 feet of another, there is a cumulative 30% chance of it failing, checked when they first come too close, and from then, hourly, for each sigil. Failure means that you must then roll 1d% for each failing sigil. There is 20% chance that the failed rune will disappear with no effects, 70% chance that the it simply activates early, and 10% chance that it explodes with magical energy, dealing 2d10 per class level in a 20ft.-radius burst and an additional 1d10 per class level in a 40ft.-radius burst. The explosion does unnamed damage.

Sigil of [Elements]: A runeblade of 5th level can place a Sigil of Fire, Cold, Acid, or Electricity. When activated, this Sigil does 1d6 damage for each level of Runeblade the creator has, in a 10-ft burst. This sigil uses a 5'x5' area and cannot be changed. Reflex for half.

Sigil of Fast Travel: A runeblade of 8th level or higher can place a Sigil of Fast Travel. This sigil is, upon completion, linked to all other known locations of Sigils of Fast Travel and can be used to access any of them. If one is no longer where he wants to go, the teleportation simply does not work, and the sigil remains unactivated. When directed to a possible location, anyone standing completely on it will be teleported to the designated, familiar Sigil upon activation. Anyone not standing completely on it will take 1d30 damage (If you don't have a d30, 1d20+1d10 should be fine, and if the higher minimum bothers you, Get a d30), but are still teleported. Even if a targeted sigil is not permanent, it is not used up in the teleportation. Only the origin is dispersed. The creatures and objects that are left out of the final area, whether it be because they were partially on the sigil when it was activated or the target is smaller than the origin) take 1d30 damage.
An unwilling subject may make a Will save if he is able. Unattended objects are brought.
A runeblade of 15th level or higher can choose for a Sigil of Fast Travel that they later make after gaining that level to be permanent.

Sigil of Slow: A runeblade of 11th level or higher can place a Sigil of Slow. When activated, this mark acts as the 3rd level Wiz/Sorc spell, where the runeblade's level replaces Caster Level for determining the effects of the sigil. It will affect the nearest creatures within 20 ft. up to its maximum.

Sigil of Antimagic: A runeblade of 14th level or higher can place a Sigil of Antimagic. This mark creates an Antimagic field with a radius equal to ten times the Runeblade's level in feet. It lasts for 1 day per class level. This field does not affect rune-magic, but other antimagic fields might.

Sigil of Stasis: A runeblade of 17th level or higher can place a Sigil of Stasis. This mark causes a highly volatile force to strike all creatures within 15 ft. Those creatures must make a Fortitude Save or be knocked unconscious for [Int Mod of Runeblade] rounds.

Sigil of Death: A runeblade of 20th level can place a Sigil of Death. Any single creature that touches it must make a Will save or be disintegrated into dust.

Authors Notes:
Suggestions are very welcome, constructive criticism is what makes things improve. I'm short on ideas for more Runes, and if you've got some new Sigil ideas, I welcome the chance to share it.
I'm having fun with my first class!

Though not a class feature, most beginning runeblades start with a Minor Rune gifted by a master.

Empedocles
2012-06-06, 02:12 PM
Why not post the class here? Your current format is very confusing.

Welknair
2012-06-06, 02:17 PM
Why not post the class here? Your current format is very confusing.

Seconded. You're much more likely to get meaningful feedback if you repost the class here, using the local format.

PrinceRenais
2012-06-06, 03:36 PM
Aye, as I said, I was going to be working on that. I posted the class the way it is to see if I could get some early feedback.

I don't see how it's so confusing, though. The first 21 lines are the normal chart you see above, now. After that is a list of the feature descriptions (though, I admit, quite overly colored) with a short description of Runes, Sigils, and a note about the DC for the abilities that call for a save.

Empedocles
2012-06-06, 05:51 PM
Aye, as I said, I was going to be working on that. I posted the class the way it is to see if I could get some early feedback.

I don't see how it's so confusing, though. The first 21 lines are the normal chart you see above, now. After that is a list of the feature descriptions (though, I admit, quite overly colored) with a short description of Runes, Sigils, and a note about the DC for the abilities that call for a save.

Well, I'll take a look, but I prefer to be able to quote the class as is.

Also, this (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/) might help. It'll generate a class table for you, just change the format in the top left hand corner to GITP and copy-paste. It's saved me a ton of time.

PrinceRenais
2012-06-06, 07:44 PM
How did I forget a Skill List? :smallconfused:
Thanks, that does help actually, The first post does have the table and class-feature-descriptions done, though.

Other than the missing Rune/Sigil lists, Does anything stick out as poorly planned or overpowering?

Edit: I have just gotten feedback from a friend, I shall post it here so that anyone viewing knows what I'm considering. Theses were his suggestions.
Rework Runes Per Day limit;
Put Rune Levels in its own collumn, like the warlock;
Consider a Separate sigil list and sigil mechanics. times/day, how long do they last, how many times can they activate, etc;
stasis: unconscious is spelled wrong;
antimagic: needs a unit of measure;
Make rules for placing sigils near one another, don't leave the DM as the first line of defense;
How long does the AMF last?;
Hit Die: d8, not 1d8;
Class skills should have their key stat mentioned;
Change Erase's time, mention what they're doing during that time;
How does this interact with double weapons? (treat both ends as different weapons);
make the Rune Maximum independant of weight. Perhaps size categories, or increasing with level;
Make a note about equivalent spell level, for dispelling purposes;
Changes coming another day.

PrinceRenais
2012-06-17, 06:03 PM
I've worked slowly, but it is now located here, and the Google Doc is outdated.
I believe It is as ready to receive review, but I remind everyone, it's still a work in progress. I have more Runes to add, and things are likely to change.

Oh my! I'm playing through Diablo 3, and I just found out the Spirit at some Temple is named Alaric. Bummer, and I came up with it on my own... It's pronounced differently, though. I'll just change it.

PrinceRenais
2012-07-01, 01:57 PM
*Bump* Anyone?

Deviston
2012-07-27, 09:21 PM
I ANSWER THE CALL!!!
I want ot caveat this with the fact that I play Pathfinder nowadays. I balance for pathfiner. However, for you my good sir I shall 3.5.

Why do you get Runeology before you learn any runes? Simple are first learned at level 4 but you gain the runeology class feature at level1. I personally think Simple should start at 1, and of course toss in some +1 electric runes to the list. Allow yourself some combat buffing at an early level so the class feels like it's getting something besides some bard spells.

Also, I'm a little confused as to how the runes work. I'm going to yap, and you tell me I'm right or wrong. It will be a few situations. The important parts will be italicized.

Jeff the level 10 Runeblade (from accounting) tosses the Flame and Lightning rune on his ax. He activates them both at the same time as a standard action. Next round, he takes a full attack action and deals the bonus damage from the two runes on only his first attack. Jeff (from accounting) now drops his ax. This morning he prepared about 10 long swords with the same rune combination. However, the condiction he set them to activate was "when this blade stops after being swung with X newtons" (aka when I hit something with it). Now, luckily he has quick draw, so as a full attack action he.... draws a sword, hits and deals both runes in damage, drops as a free action and draws another and swinging again and dealing the damage from both runes. Jeff (from accounting) has been at this for a bit and is down to one sword.

As we see that the class does not state a rune is erased after it is used, nor does it talk about any priming or recharging or uses per day, we assume he can use his last blade constantly.

Jeff (from accounting) now uses this last blade with wanton abandon. He then goes out to buy a storm giant's greatsword, and armed with the monkey grip feat and his HALF GIANT heritage, he places all of the Damage per two class level runes on his blade. He now swings and with every attack deals 20d10 of energy damage on top of base damage and STR.

This is the confusion I have. Also, if the runes ARE in fact completely gone after use, I still forsee people making multiple runes on multiple short swords and going the two weapon fighting route. Lots of extra attacks and with quick draw, the tons-o-damage happens nearly every attack. A few changes would fix this, "the bonus damage from this rune can only discharge once per round" or "having this rune etched on a runeblade magically nullifies the other damage runes on the runeblade" or simply reducing damage significantly.

But i REALLY like the class concept and the aim of the mechanics :p

Also, at level 20 Jeff is dealing 40d10's plus other junk XD Oh Jeff! Accounting must be SUCH a lively place with you around!

Edit: The ranged Moderate rune... Does that mean Jess will be doing his 40d10's plus base at medium spell range? I'm not sure what "Medium range" is. Also, all damage is changed to force, does this mean that Jeff's 40d10's are force now? And how can the runeblade have a Minor rune (gifted by master) before being able to use minor runes? Can one, for example, put in their back story that they have been gifted with a blade that has a Epic rune? Why not if gifting runes (and using them before the class feature is obtained) is plausable? Could I take the class to level 20, craft my Uber Blade, retrain down to level 1 in the class level 19 Fighter and still have my Uber Blade with all the effects?

That is why I would vote that you can only use a rune if you have the appropriate class feature.

PrinceRenais
2012-07-28, 11:05 PM
First, I'd like to thank you for the response! And here I thought I'd get no more interest from anyone!
As a note, this class is probably closest to the Duskblade, but instead of magic from the user being channeled through the weapon, this class is based on magic from the weapon being used by someone to enhance an attack. A vague comparison between the two stands as "Magic People using Relatively Mundane Weapons" vs. "Crafty People using Relatively Mundane Weapons with Magical Symbols"

Q's: 1.) Why do you get Runeology before you learn any runes?
2.) Why not start with Simple Runes?
3.) Does Runeology allow you access to any rune?
A: I don't think a level 1 Runeblade should be able to craft runes (even 'simple' ones) if the same person wouldn't be able to craft a masterwork weapon very quickly/efficiently even if he put max ranks in it. This is due to the magical nature of the runes. A level 1 Runeblade could theoretically have a pimped out sword, the way that things are. Perhaps it should be limited to things 2 tiers higher than the highest you can make? The issue is a good thought. While no sane DM would allow such a thing at level 1, it is easily achieved by RAW, and could too easily be abused.

Q: How do Runes work?
A: Jeff from accounting, the same Level 10 Runeblade as your own, is much more boring than he seems at a glance. Runes do not disappear (unless Erased by a level 2+ runeblade. Should probably limit the tiers that one can erase, same as the above method of 2 higher than he/she can make) It takes a standard action to activate a single rune, or you can activate one during an attack. As in, at most in a single round with only one standard action, you can activate a single rune on your weapon. Once activated, it remains activated until you hit something, at which point the rune is deactivated. During a full attack, a rune is activated on the first successful hit and deactivates unless otherwise specified in its description (True Strike Rune is a good example).

This part is the most open to discussion, as the way I have it set up could be too limiting (once worded so that it isn't controversial). Many people consider me to be an intelligent person, but I'm not very experienced with character class creation for D&D. I never did finish making the list of runes, either, so it is still incomplete. I'm accepting ideas, by the way!

Q: Does the Force rune do what I think it does!?
A: It was supposed to, yes, but hearing someone else point it out leaves no question as to how overpowered it could be. I think I'll change the Sonic rune by removing the range. Force will become sub-moderate, and will grant Range: Close (as though it were a spell, Close is 25+5/2 Runeblade levels.) and change the physical damage of the weapon to Force damage.
If I missed anything important, ask again and I'll get back to you! Again, thanks for the feedback!

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-29, 07:36 AM
The way you fluff it, it seems more like a prestige class than a base class

Deviston
2012-07-29, 08:32 AM
Another question. Craft wand is CL X spell level X 750 gp. So... what's the spell level for these runes? Also what's the minimum caster level to craft them at? Also... again. After reading that runes and enchantments don't mix... or rather you lose the enchantment for the attack in the round that the runes go off, this class now strikes me as a Soulknife that has to pay for his class features, oh AND they can be taken from him. I'm not sure how to rectify this without a massive overhaul.

The first thing that comes to mind, I don't know HOW to put a rune on my blade! It actually doesn't say as far as I see. Is it a craft check? Attunement at the start of the day?

Might I suggest this?

1. Simple Runes start at level 1. They are nothing but magical hen scratch, as such can be made by anyone with at least retard level runeology training.
Simple (lvl 1) Minor (lvl 4) Sub-Moderate (lvl 8) Moderate (lvl 12) Major (lvl 16) Epic (lvl 20)
2. Runes are applied to any weapon but fade away if the weapon leaves the runeblades hand for over 1 round per rune on it, or instantly in another's hands.
3. Runes are applied to a weapon as a full round action per rune. After this, the runeblade may spend a move action to focus on a rune to change it into another that he knows. His power is like the water, ever flowing and ever changing to face a challenge, not the hard rock to stand in its way.
4. You can write your runes any size, as such the size of the weapon does not effect how many runes are on it. Each rune has a rune energy value, 1,2,3,4,5,6. At level 1, a weapon may only hold 1 rune energy, as your power is still erratic and unfocused. As you increase in levels, your rune energy cap increases by 1 per level as you focus you power.
5. Simple mark of the elements - weapon deals bonus damage equal to 1 point per two class levels of chosen element (fire ice elec acid)
-Simple mark of the elements (improved, requires minor mark of elements) weapon no longer gains benefit from SMotE but must still have it on the weapon. You may now choose from (force, sonic)
-Minor Mark of the Elements - weapon deals bonus damage equal to 1d6 per two class levels of chosen elements (fire ice elec acid)
-Minor Mark of the Elements - blah blah blah
-Sub-moderate - increase damage to 1d8
-Moderate - increase damage to 1d10
-Major - gain bursting property, increase damage to 1d10+1 (per 2 class levels)
With this fix you can have it deal the damage every attack. You wouldn't need to worry about such things as activation and what not. Which IMO, the activation makes it hard for this 3/4 BAB class to keep up.