PDA

View Full Version : Druidic Language alt?

ShiningStarling
2012-06-06, 02:15 PM
I've been trying to construct a Bard/Wizard/Archivist/Fochlucan Lyrist build for the tri-theurge potential, but hit a road bump on the Speak Language(druid) requirement for FL. I seem to recall a way to acquire a language by observing it , or some other way besides spending skill points, but cannot for the life of me find it. Perchance, has anyone seen something that would allow the learning of a language without spending skills or taking a Druid level? Any help would be much appreciated.

Flickerdart
2012-06-06, 02:24 PM
The only restriction on Druidic is "Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids." There is nothing at all stopping a Druid from teaching (or being forced to teach) Druidic to someone and then atoning, meaning that you can really just spend the skill points on it with enough backstory.

Venusaur
2012-06-06, 02:53 PM
Find a blighter, and get him to teach you. Should work for enough money or if you threaten him.

Glimbur
2012-06-06, 03:04 PM
How about a Pearl of Speech(MiC)? It's more than a little code-breaking for someone to actually craft one, but...

Roguenewb
2012-06-06, 03:10 PM
Talk to your DM. I'm pretty sure no DM is going to do you any favors for attempting to Theurge Wizard and Archivist. Quick DM, I really wanna mix a Tier 1 and a Tier 0, while sprinkling with one of the powers of a Tier 3, all based on INT. That's fair right? Yeah, getting no favors from me. You'd need a full written out and specced pieces of rules text to get the language in one of my games. Now, if you were playing a Wandering Bard who gained the power of their nature god and became a Favored Soul, I'd let you be taught druidic for 2 sp so you could take the class. Wizard/Archivist/Almost Free Bard Abilities, hell no

Averis Vol
2012-06-06, 03:15 PM
go find a druid and dominate him into teaching it to you, i tried that once and all it got me was a couple foresty hit squads in the night.

Fineous Orlon
2012-06-06, 03:25 PM
How about Bard 1/ Druid 1/ Archivist 1/ Wizard 3/ Divine Oracle 2 /Mystic Theurge 2/ FL as needed.

Hope the DM accepts Prescient Sense from Divine Oracle as evasion.

Able learner recommended.

It would be nice to pick up Druidic [and skip the druid level] from somewhere.

Here, Blighter, blighter, blighter....

ShiningStarling
2012-06-06, 04:03 PM
Talk to your DM. I'm pretty sure no DM is going to do you any favors for attempting to Theurge Wizard and Archivist. Quick DM, I really wanna mix a Tier 1 and a Tier 0, while sprinkling with one of the powers of a Tier 3, all based on INT. That's fair right? Yeah, getting no favors from me. You'd need a full written out and specced pieces of rules text to get the language in one of my games. Now, if you were playing a Wandering Bard who gained the power of their nature god and became a Favored Soul, I'd let you be taught druidic for 2 sp so you could take the class. Wizard/Archivist/Almost Free Bard Abilities, hell no
That is an entirely valid point, however if I were DM, I would feel better with any path that isn't straight from Arch/Wiz to Mystic Theurge, though that in itself is pretty bad too. The bard sidestep just delays, and I would be better with that than the straight.

How about a Pearl of Speech(MiC)? It's more than a little code-breaking for someone to actually craft one, but...
That is good, but no book access and ... (looks down)

The only restriction on Druidic is "Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids." There is nothing at all stopping a Druid from teaching (or being forced to teach) Druidic to someone and then atoning, meaning that you can really just spend the skill points on it with enough backstory.
I like it, esp. with a party Druid if one is at hand.

Find a blighter, and get him to teach you. Should work for enough money or if you threaten him.
Almost better, though getting to know any Blighters would be pretty chancey.

go find a druid and dominate him into teaching it to you, i tried that once and all it got me was a couple foresty hit squads in the night.
Those are the worst. You always beat 'em but end up with poison ivy. :smallsmile:

How about Bard 1/ Druid 1/ Archivist 1/ Wizard 3/ Divine Oracle 2 /Mystic Theurge 2/ FL as needed.

Hope the DM accepts Prescient Sense from Divine Oracle as evasion.

Able learner recommended.

It would be nice to pick up Druidic [and skip the druid level] from somewhere.

Here, Blighter, blighter, blighter....
Pretty nice summation/build. Thanks :smallbiggrin:

Alright guys, problem solved, I think I'm good here.(though if anyone knows a feat or something that lets you learn a language by hearing it please let me know.)

Thurbane
2012-06-07, 02:07 AM
This is something I've seen discussed a lot. Another option, if your race isn't set, is to play a Hellbred. Their racial entry says they retain any language from their "past life", so if you can convince the DM your character was once a Druid before being given a second chance from the Pits of Hell, you can know Druidic.

Darrin
2012-06-07, 06:08 AM
The old Tools for Fochlucan Lyrist Builds (http://community.wizards.com/forumhandler?t=377248) thread is probably worth a look. It discusses a few ways to get Druidic.

The Soulspeaker Circlet (Magic of Incarnum) also might work. Allows you to understand one language, which could be Druidic. Bind it to your Crown chakra and you can speak Druidic.