PDA

View Full Version : J K Rowling's new book

Nekura
2012-06-06, 07:51 PM
So I just saw that JKR has a book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Casual_Vacancy due to be released on 27 September 2012.

While I liked most of the Harry Potter series after reading the plot of this I quickly became disappointed. Sounds like it will be a poorly done mystery with how she seemed to be more about trying to trick you then tying everything together in the potter books. No wizards this time but more class wars and politics. And with it being described as being "blackly comic." I don't have much hope.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-06, 07:56 PM
Uh....this new book has no ties whatsoever to the Potter series. What does it have to do with 'tricking you versus tying everything together' in a completely unrelated universe? You seem to be pre-judging her ability to write for adults based on a series she wrote for children, which seems odd at the least.

Mauve Shirt
2012-06-06, 09:10 PM
Oh yay, another book to look forward to! This is a good year for reading.
It looks like that other mystery novel she said she had bumping around in her head. I'm glad it has nothing to do with Harry Potter. As much as I like the series, it's done.

Nekura
2012-06-06, 11:27 PM
Uh....this new book has no ties whatsoever to the Potter series. What does it have to do with 'tricking you versus tying everything together' in a completely unrelated universe? You seem to be pre-judging her ability to write for adults based on a series she wrote for children, which seems odd at the least.

Yes I am aware it has nothing to do with the Potter books but what else can you judge by but what she has already written. And while they were entertaining there were many parts of the Potter books where she tried to set things up for people to think one way then turned it around to be contrary or mysterious whether or not it worked. Snape is an evil jerk after the stone but it was the stuttering professor instead. He's still an evil jerk who killed Dumbledore while having simultaneously been working for the good guys the whole time. Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse. It seemed to be more about that then making sure all the plot holes and inconsistencies that were in the books didn't show up.

And I don't buy into the whole written for children or teens vs adults stuff. A book should be well written no matter what age group it is for unless you’re talking about picture books compared to novels. Terry Pratchett wrote some young adults books and the only noticeable difference between say soul music and the tiffany aching books is the lack of old music puns and being shorter.

To get back on track popular author wrote a new book. Lets discuss who is excited and who's not. Speculation on it's popularity, if it will turn into a new series or stand alone, given how much the Potter movies made will there be a movie of this book in the future?

Othesemo
2012-06-06, 11:33 PM
I suspect that the book will be inordinately popular regardless of its quality. Name recognition will do that.

A more pertinent question would be 'will it acquire a cult following?'

Aerodynamik
2012-06-06, 11:34 PM
To get back on track popular author wrote a new book. Lets discuss who is excited and who's not. Speculation on it's popularity, if it will turn into a new series or stand alone, given how much the Potter movies made will there be a movie of this book in the future?

We don't need to 'get back on topic.' It's not off topic to discuss the quality of an upcoming book if we're talking about the book, especially if you brought up in your opening statement that you thought it was going to be bad.

I'm not necessarily excited, but I will likely read this book when it comes out, and I expect the writing to be on par with the Harry Potter books, which is to say that I expect to enjoy it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-06, 11:34 PM
+1 to Comrade. If you meant "Hallow", then only all three together are said to make you immortal (but I highly doubt it), and it's specifically said that the first two brothers died young, and Harry had the artifact belonging to the third. And who's "her"? But I like that Snape was loyal to Dumbledore throughout the whole series.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-06, 11:36 PM
Yes I am aware it has nothing to do with the Potter books but what else can you judge by but what she has already written. And while they were entertaining there were many parts of the Potter books where she tried to set things up for people to think one way then turned it around to be contrary or mysterious whether or not it worked. Snape is an evil jerk after the stone but it was the stuttering professor instead. He's still an evil jerk who killed Dumbledore while having simultaneously been working for the good guys the whole time. Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse. It seemed to be more about that then making sure all the plot holes and inconsistencies that were in the books didn't show up.

You did read these books right? It's a little hard to read because of the atrocious grammer, but you seem to be getting some major details wrong. One, Dumbledore didn't have a Horcrux. Two, it was clearly explained that Snape killed Dumbledore to save Malfoy from being punished for failing to do it, and because Dumbledore was going to die anyway. Also, Snape was trying to protect the Stone, not steal it.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-06-06, 11:46 PM
I'm totally getting this book. Rowling's mysteries were always awesome, and always caught me off guard while still being explainable in hindsight. A mark of excellence that.

Nekura
2012-06-07, 12:17 AM
You did read these books right? It's a little hard to read because of the atrocious grammer, but you seem to be getting some major details wrong. One, Dumbledore didn't have a Horcrux. Two, it was clearly explained that Snape killed Dumbledore to save Malfoy from being punished for failing to do it, and because Dumbledore was going to die anyway. Also, Snape was trying to protect the Stone, not steal it.

Hey be nice now I was explaining what I meant by JKR trying to trick us. Dumbledore had the locket that was thought to be a horcrux then I was not at the time insinuating Dumbledore made a horcrux. It was explained why Snape killed Dumbledore after the fact. I didn't say Snape was trying to steal the stone I said it was set up for us to think Snape was not that I think many people believed it was him as that would have been too obvious. I am sorry if my grammar threw you off but yeah there seems to be a big miscommunication between what I meant and what you thought I meant.

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-07, 01:35 AM
So you're saying she should have revealed every twist before it came up. Do you read the end of mysterires first so you aren't surprised to find out who did it?

Dumbledore lives
2012-06-07, 01:40 AM
Well I'll be buying this day one since it has been what 5 years now since the Potter series finished? That's a long long time, and reading some new J.K. Rowling should be great.

Avilan the Grey
2012-06-07, 01:47 AM
I am definitely interested, though I will probably wait until you good people review it here for me. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2012-06-07, 05:00 AM
So you're saying she should have revealed every twist before it came up. Do you read the end of mysterires first so you aren't surprised to find out who did it?

Yeah, this is what it sounds like you're saying... We were supposed to be "WHAT?!?? GUYS, SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE WHAT IS GOING ON?!??" not "Oh, Dumbledore was going to die anyway. Snape is totally a good guy still. I'm not anticipating an answer in the next book, so I might not even pick it up and devour it in 4 hours."

Sipex
2012-06-07, 12:13 PM
I agree, the book is going to be insanely popular because of name recognition.

I also predict that a lot of people are going to be dissapointed because of name recognition and this book not being harry potter.

However, I have no idea if the book itself is going to be good, that will require actually reading it.

razark
2012-06-07, 12:56 PM
I agree, the book is going to be insanely popular because of name recognition.

I also predict that a lot of people are going to be dissapointed because of name recognition and this book not being harry potter.
My prediction:
The new book will sell very well, because of the author.
The book will be hated by many people, precisely because it's not Harry Potter.
The author will be hated by many people, regardless of the quality of the new book, because "she's completely betrayed the fans and done something different!"

The author will either:
A. Fade into obscurity, with extremely poor sales for the rest of her career; or
B. Attempt to recreate her previous success with another new book that will be slightly different, but will try to appeal to her old fanbase. Said fanbase will not be appeased, and the author will fade into obscurity, constantly chasing whatever it takes to regain her fans.

Fragenstein
2012-06-07, 01:05 PM
My prediction:
The new book will sell very well, because of the author.
The book will be hated by many people, precisely because it's not Harry Potter.
The author will be hated by many people, regardless of the quality of the new book, because "she's completely betrayed the fans and done something different!"

The author will either:
A. Fade into obscurity, with extremely poor sales for the rest of her career; or
B. Attempt to recreate her previous success with another new book that will be slightly different, but will try to appeal to her old fanbase. Said fanbase will not be appeased, and the author will fade into obscurity, constantly chasing whatever it takes to regain her fans.

Hey. They can't all be Ray Bradbury.

Mauve Shirt
2012-06-07, 01:26 PM
My prediction:
The new book will sell very well because of the author.
The new book will prove to be a competent, if not fantastic, adult mystery novel. It won't break new ground, it won't appeal to everyone, it won't be as popular as the Harry Potter books because it's not Harry Potter. But it won't be universally reviled either.
Total Harry Potter nutcases will go cry out in horror that she's written something that's not Harry Potter. People who enjoyed Harry Potter but in the meantime actually grew up and understand that it shouldn't last forever will either like the book or dislike the book, but not feel personal hatred toward J.K. Rowling.

Rowling lives in a castle. She can fade into obscurity or not fade into obscurity and probably won't care too much. I honestly don't see her fading into obscurity within her lifetime, though. Too many Harry Potter nerds giving Harry Potter to their kids, showing them the movies, taking them to the theme park. It's still popular with young people, believe it or not. The people who grew up with it are just not young anymore.
Our kids will be less enthusiastic than we were, and theirs probably even less. I imagine the Harry Potter books being like the Oz books. Once massively popular, still read by many young people and older people, far from obscure thanks to a movie and a tv show and a theme park.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-06-09, 11:42 AM
... a tv show ...

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

An Enemy Spy
2012-06-09, 11:57 AM
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

You wouldn't know about it. It doesn't play on muggle channels.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-06-09, 01:05 PM
You wouldn't know about it. It doesn't play on muggle channels.

But ... That ... I ... *headasplode*

Pokonic
2012-06-09, 01:21 PM
Ignoring the highly amusing "ideas" the OP has, this book is guarentied to sell. The probablem is if it's going to be well-recieved.