PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Bloatmage Optimization?

Triforce Saturn
2012-06-06, 10:04 PM
So I'm interested in playing a Bloatmage. Are there any particular guides for optimization or guidelines to making one? If not, would any of you have any advice? It'd be greatly appreciated.

Blisstake
2012-06-06, 10:32 PM
Well, standard rules for playing a wizard applies, but I suppose there are a few points to consider when electing to be a bloatmage.

1. You need flight. Normally this is always the case, but you're an easy target, and you're a slow one. Make sure you've always got a flight spell ready to cast. If possible, cast this with your blood pool, so you can use a flight spell again if it gets dispelled.

2. Always use leeches. The constitution damage sucks, but remember it's an option to use it whenever you bloat. So if you don't feel it's worth it, just decide not to apply the affects of the leeches. This can allow you to more safely use your bloat ability, since it will take one more point to make you berserk.

3. Take advantage of your free casting. Don't prepare multiples of a spell when you can avoid it (if you're a prepared caster), since you can just re-use them with your blood pool, and refresh that with bloat. Instead, have a variety of spells ready to select.

4. Take Brew Potion once you have 10 levels, and keep as many blood potions around as possible. Keep in mind the con damage is removable, unlike many self-inflicted class abilities. Oh, and keep your own blood in a vial to gain free Arcane Bloodline abilities. Yes, that actually works :smalltongue:

Triforce Saturn
2012-06-06, 11:10 PM
See, another concern I had was what class to do beforehand, as well as potential race. I considered Wizard, but that loss of the free two spells per level hurts, and there's no guarantee you'd fine the spells you'd want. My only real other options are Sorcerer, which I think works better for Bloatmage, but I lose out on a lot of bloodline stuff. I could also try Witch, but I lose out on higher level Hexes, as well as those 2 free spells.