PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Exemplar

Ralasha
2012-06-06, 11:45 PM
A twist on the Paladin. I will be removing it's spells, and upgrading some of it's abilities to act somewhat more as a warrior/guardian.

HD: D12

Skills: (4+Int Mod)x4 at first level, 4+Int Mod at each level after 1st.
The class skills of the Holy Exemplar are as follows: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge History (Int), Knowledge Nobility and Royalty (Int), Knowledge Religion (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

{table=header]Level|BAB|FS|RS|WS|Special
1|1|2|2|2|Blessed Weapon, Detect (Alignment)
2|2|3|3|3|Healing Touch
3|3|3|3|3|True Courage, Shield Other
4|4|4|4|4|Blessed Health, Blessed Armor 1
5|5|4|4|4|Radiance of (Alignment)
6|6|5|5|5|Smiting Weapon, Remove Disease
7|7|5|5|5|Special Mount
8|8|6|6|6|Blessed Armor II, Neutralize Poison
9|9|6|6|6|Sympathetic Resonance
10|10|7|7|7|Holy Weapon, Remove Curse
11|11|7|7|7|Undead Bane
12|12|8|8|8|Blessed Armor III, Raise Dead
13|13|8|8|8|Guardian's Stance
14|14|9|9|9|Transposition, Restoration
15|15|9|9|9|Aurorum
16|16|10|10|10|Blessed Armor IV
17|17|10|10|10|Outsider Bane, Resurrection
18|18|11|11|11|Avenger
19|19|11|11|11|Guardian's Charge
20|20|12|12|12|True Resurrection, Blessed Armor V, Final Smite[/table]
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Holy Exemplar is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armor and all shields.

Blessed Weapon (Su): Any weapon held by the exemplar is treated as having a +1 bonus for the purposes of bypassing damage reduction of any evil creature. The weapon is also considered good. This effect immediately fades from any weapon not held by the exemplar. If the exemplar does not have a weapon equipped treat its natural and unarmed attacks as having this trait.

Detect Alignment (Su): The exemplar is always aware of those of opposing alignments. When anything with an alignment more than 1 step from the exemplar's comes within 60' the exemplar is immediately aware of what direction it is in, and its relative power compared to itself.

Healing Touch (Su): The exemplar may heal a number of hit points per round equal to it's level. This may be used to heal its own wounds, or the wounds of others. This may also be used as a bonus on damage against undead, or evil/chaotic outsiders.

True Courage (Ex): True Courage is not the lack of fear, but the ability to act in spite of it. The Exemplar always has the effects of fear lowered by one category, even natural fear, or horror effects.

Shield Other (Ex): The exemplar may give it's Shield bonus to AC (If any) to any individual within 10', for all other class effects specifying the exemplar's protective target treat the individual as this target until the exemplar picks another one.

Blessed Health: The exemplar gains a bonus to all saves versus poison and disease equal to it's level. If a poison ro disease does not normally grant a save to prevent it, the exemplar's first save decides if the poison or disease is contracted.

Blessed Armor: Starting at level 4, and every 4 levels there-after the exemplar gains a +1 divine bonus to it's armor class from both shield and armor worn. These bonuses may be used to purchase enchantments for the armor and shield as normal enhancement bonuses. Thus with Blessed Armor 5, the Exemplar may choose to have heavy fortification. These bonuses and enhancements do not disapear even when the exemplar is naked. Each day when others prepair their spells the exemplar may instead choose to change the enhancements on his shield and armor for the day, or merely leave them as raw bonuses.

Radiance of (Alignment) (Div): The Exemplar gives off a visible aura of its alignment. From a golden glow (LG) or Silvery glow (NG) to a grayish light (TN). Enemies entering this aura must make a Will Save dc 10+Exemplar Level or flee as though turned. This aura has a 5' radius per 5 levels. so 10' at level 10.

Smiting Weapon (Div): A LG exemplar deals 2d6 additional damage to any of chaotic or evil alignment that it successfully attacks. A NG Exemplar deals an additional 4d6 to any of Evil Alignment that it attacks. A TN Exemplar deals 1d6 damage to any not of a TN Alignment that it attacks, or 2d6 additional damage to those of extreme alignments.

Remove Disease (Sp): Once per minute the exemplar may remove disease as a spell-like ability. It's caster-level equals its levels in this class.

Special Mount (Ex): The exemplar may choose any creature of the same alignment as it's special mount as long as it is OK'd by the DM. TN exemplar's may choose any non-evil creature.

Neutralize Poison (Sp): The exemplar may cure poison once per minute as a spell-like ability. It's caster-level equals its levels in this class.

Sympathetic Resonance (Su): Whenever the exemplar's protective target is under attack, or takes damage half of the damage is taken by the exemplar. The exemplar is immediately aware of the direction, distance and condition of it's protective target.

Holy Weapon (Div): The exemplar's weapon deals an additional 1d6 damage per level to those targets considered valid for smiting weapon (see above).

Remove Curse (Sp): Once per minute as a spell-like ability the exemplar may cast remove curse as a spell-like ability. It's casterlevel is equal to it's levels in this class.

Undead Bane (Div): The exemplar is considered to posses the undead bane quality. This ability effects all attacks the exemplar makes.

Raise Dead (Sp): Once per day the exemplar may use Raise Dead as a spell-like ability. This ability may only be used on it's protective target until level 17.

Guardian's Stance (Ex): The exemplar may occupy the same square as it's protective target. This causes neither the exemplar, nor it's protective target any penalties. Any damage done to the protective target is instead taken by the exemplar.

Transposition (Sp): The exemplar may at any time, as an immediate action, suddenly be occupying the same space as the protective target. This ability is usable once per minute, per level beyond 14. This ability otherwise acts as a teleport without error spell.

Restoration (Sp): Once per minute the exemplar may use restoration as a spell-like ability. It's caster-level for this effect is equal to it's level in this class.

Aurorum: The guardian's weapon flashes the color of gold. Any undead or outsider of an opposed alignment to the exemplar must make a fortitude save DC 10+exemplar level when critically hit, or die. This ability is usable once per hour.

Outsider Bane (Div): The exemplar is considered to posses the outsider bane quality. This ability effects all attacks the exemplar makes.

Resurrection (Sp): The exemplar may cast the spell resurrection once per day as a spell-like ability. This ability may only effect the protective target until level 20.

AVENGER (Div): The exemplar's weapon now functions as a holy avenger against any targets considered valid for Smiting Weapon. The Avenger matches the alignment of the exemplar.

Guardian's Charge (Ex): Whenever an enemy attempts to attack the exemplar's protective charge the exemplar may immediately move to make an attack of opportunity, if the attack hits the enemy's attack is interrupted but no damage is dealt. This uses the exemplar's next turn.

True Resurrection (Sp): The exemplar may cast True Resurrection once per day as a Spell-like ability. This may only be used on the protective charge. In addition, if the exemplar dies in defense of the protective target it is immediately effected by a raise dead if the exemplar has not yet used it that day.

Final Smite (Ex): In a final act of protective zeal, whenever the exemplar would be dropped below 0 health or killed by an attack while occupying the same square as the protective target the exemplar may make a full attack, applying it's level as bonus damage to each attack that successfully hits. If the enemy is killed the exemplar is stabilized at -9. If the enemy lives, the exemplar is at -1, and dying.

LordErebus12
2012-06-06, 11:58 PM
hmm, good start. give me a day to review it and build a character with it.

nonsi
2012-06-11, 09:18 AM
You need to specify what alignments are allowed for a Holy Exemplar.
Also, Smiting Weapon needs streamlining and uniformity. Different damage values by different alignments is annoying.

Other than that, this class is definitely better than the core Paladin.

Madara
2012-06-11, 10:33 AM
Sympathetic Resonance (Su): Whenever the exemplar's protective target is under attack, or takes damage half of the damage is taken by the exemplar. The exemplar is immediately aware of the direction, distance and condition of it's protective target.

Shield Other (Ex): The exemplar may give it's Shield bonus to AC (If any) to any individual within 10', for all other class effects specifying the exemplar's protective target treat the individual as this target.

Sympathetic Resonance would be really cool and useful if your protective target didn't have to be within 10'. Allow the individual to remain a protective target until the exemplar selects another one, but they lose the shield bonus when they go further than 10'

Veklim
2012-06-11, 12:34 PM
May I suggest that Smiting Weapon deals 1D6 damage for every step away from your alignment the target is..? Gives the extremes a higher range but makes TN the most reliable, and is a streamlined mechanic.

Spotted a few other bits, with give a better PEACH once I'm in front of a computer instead of on my 'smart'phone :smallwink:

Welknair
2012-06-11, 01:30 PM
I'm a little concerned about Healing Touch being usable at-will.

What does the (Div) tag represent? I'm not familiar with it.

Ralasha
2012-06-11, 04:11 PM
I'm a little concerned about Healing Touch being usable at-will.

What does the (Div) tag represent? I'm not familiar with it.

Healing touch is usable at will. Once per round.

(Div) Tag means Divine.

I will post the 3 accepted alignments above. The table.

Smiting is good to me. I don't particularly find addition confusing.

Protective Target remains the Protective target until you chose a new one.

This is the first time I'm going for tier 3.