PDA

View Full Version : Lich's Phylactery as a creature

worldeater47
2012-06-06, 11:55 PM
Hello playground I was wondering if anyone new a way to turn a lich's phylactery into a creature of any type (guessing construct would be easiest).

In case people are wondering why I want to do this it is to see if it is theoretically possible to create a lich with a phylactery that is also a lich.

Thanks

VGLordR2
2012-06-06, 11:58 PM
Polymorph any Object twice should do the trick.

Aegis013
2012-06-07, 12:00 AM
Second on the PAOx2.

The Phylactery section in the Monster Manual implies the phylactery is a wondrous item, made via the feat. So it wouldn't be able to be a golem or a creature normally.

Little Brother
2012-06-07, 12:30 AM
PaOx2 doesn't actually work.

I don't see why you couldn't make it part of a construct, though, then Incarnate Construct(Or, just PaO into a Construct, then Incarnate. Should work). Then you might as well Ritual of Vitality(Or whatever, one of those stupid rituals from SS) to turn it into a humanoid, which then, yes, could become a lich(I'd actually make it go through Walker in the Waste).

dantiesilva
2012-06-07, 12:53 AM
I always agree when it comes to walker in the waste there is nothing better then knowing that when they destroy one, they still got four more to go.

Aegis013
2012-06-07, 01:04 AM
PaOx2 doesn't actually work.

Why wouldn't it? I thought it was typically interpreted that if you PAO anything then PAO that thing into the same, new form it would become permanent, a la Beholder Mage entry trick.

ericgrau
2012-06-07, 01:11 AM
Probably not RAI though. And by RAW possibly a violation of spell stacking rules.

Since the phylactery is presumably a wondrous magic item you could make it into an intelligent magic item which is treated as a construct. Still not an actual construct/creature though, so I dunno if that helps.

There's the old PaO + mind switch trick that might be done with a lich psion with psionic/magic transparency.

worldeater47
2012-06-07, 01:12 AM
PAO X2 doesn't work since PAO can only work on nonmagical objects. ya from construct the plan was to use incarnate construct then make it a lich or dry lich, repeat that cycle a couple of times and make the last ones phylactery a grain of sand and bury it in a desert. I just wasn't sure if you could create it as part of a construct or what would happen if you incarnate constructed a construct that that was a small part of.

that way you would have to find and destroy that grain of sand, and every other phylactery in reverse order (or all at once) in order to destroy it otherwise the phylactery lich would res from it phylactery

Aegis013
2012-06-07, 01:21 AM
PAO X2 doesn't work since PAO can only work on nonmagical objects.

Forgot about that clause. Thanks for the clarification.

Arcanist
2012-06-07, 01:28 AM
PAO X2 doesn't work since PAO can only work on nonmagical objects. ya from construct the plan was to use incarnate construct then make it a lich or dry lich, repeat that cycle a couple of times and make the last ones phylactery a grain of sand and bury it in a desert. I just wasn't sure if you could create it as part of a construct or what would happen if you incarnate constructed a construct that that was a small part of.

that way you would have to find and destroy that grain of sand, and every other phylactery in reverse order (or all at once) in order to destroy it otherwise the phylactery lich would res from it phylactery

If your phylactery is a grain of sand, why just leave it at that? :smallconfused: I'm pretty confident your not going to die... ever because sundering a grain of sand is friken hard if you've ever actually tried to do it :smalltongue:

I recommend making the grain of sand immune to magic and then clearing its magic aura :smallamused:

worldeater47
2012-06-07, 01:38 AM
Why not.... really this was meant to see if it was possible.

and besides you can have an army of Lich's plus it would be hilariously mean to do as a DM... :smallbiggrin:

Arcanist
2012-06-07, 01:45 AM
Why not.... really this was meant to see if it was possible.

and besides you can have an army of Lich's plus it would be hilariously mean to do as a DM... :smallbiggrin:

Staffs for Trap the Soul would be much more expensive and eventually all the Liches would be captured and an artifact that legend will call the "Archliches Phylactery" shall be discovered... and it must be taken to the top of mount doom where it must be tossed into its fires for its destruction to be completed...

Grim Reader
2012-06-07, 02:50 AM
Its a wonderful idea, especially if the creature phylactery doesn't know its own origin. If the Lich has been defeated and is reforming, it could burst from the chest of the phylactery alien-style. Or it could proceed like a normal pregnancy, possibly of mysterious origin.

Bonus points of the phylactery was introduced as an NPC before the party ever met the Lich. Extra bonus points if you got a PC romantically involved with it.

Squiderking
2012-06-07, 04:24 AM
Double bonus points if the phylactery is the protagonist of one of the most remarkable pieces of literary phenomenon of all time.

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-06-07, 05:28 AM
In case people are wondering why I want to do this it is to see if it is theoretically possible to create a lich with a phylactery that is also a lich.

I properly wont do this, as because you are giving a lich your soul. There is nothing to stop that lich from dominating you.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-07, 06:35 AM
Hello playground I was wondering if anyone new a way to turn a lich's phylactery into a creature of any type (guessing construct would be easiest).

Thanks

Put a scar on its forehead, then hide it away with magic-hating Commoner foster parents until its latent sorcerer powers start manifesting?:smallbiggrin:

hushblade
2012-06-07, 06:51 AM
Abduct a child(preferably a bright one), cut open the back of his head, carve the runes into his skull, making him your phylactery, train him as a wizard, Once he's strong enough, assist him in the ritual making your skull his phylactery. Now to kill one of you, both need to be killed before the first resurrects.

DigoDragon
2012-06-07, 07:36 AM
I once ran an adventure where a lich's phylactery was a peasant girl. She had died when the lich was then a mortal wizard and the wizard ressurected her by bonding them both tigether. The results were... not perfect.

Not only did the players have to track down the living phylactery, but they had to bring her to a specific mountain and destroy her by dropping her in a unique magical chasm. Double literary points!

Garagos
2012-06-07, 07:55 AM
I read a Salvatore book once where a lich's phylactery was stored inside the torso of a golem (iron or stone i think). That would be a good way to allow it to still be in an object but be part of a construct as well.

The book was in the War of the Spider Queen series if anyone is interested.

Little Brother
2012-06-07, 08:55 AM
This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another. The duration of the spell depends on how radical a change is made from the original state to its enchanted state. The duration is determined by using the following guidelines.Yeah, PaOx2 doesn't work.

Thurbane
2012-06-07, 09:07 AM
Can you make a Phylactery of Riverine, or one of those other virtually indestructible special materials?

dantiesilva
2012-06-07, 09:20 AM
You can make it out of anything. You could make it into a all powerful holy weapon and donate it to a church without them knowing then endless never dieingness.

Tanuki Tales
2012-06-07, 10:38 AM
Wasn't there a published Drow Lich who had an entire Iron Golem as a Phylactery though?

Chambers
2012-06-07, 10:55 AM
You want the Dream of Metal. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121334)

doko239
2012-06-07, 05:53 PM
Bit of a segue, but does a phylactery have to be a manufactured object? And are there any size limitations?

"My phylactery is the Moon! Good luck blowing THAT up!" :smallcool:

VGLordR2
2012-06-07, 06:08 PM
Bit of a segue, but does a phylactery have to be a manufactured object? And are there any size limitations?

Just so long as you don't go up against Piccolo...

doko239
2012-06-07, 06:12 PM
Just so long as you don't go up against Piccolo...

"STOP MOCKING ME!!!!" :smallbiggrin:

Griffith!
2012-06-07, 08:02 PM

Yeah, my DM let me do that once. There was a whole adventure built around it too, where we had to get a portal to the moon. The bard suffocated before anyone realized we need oxygen.

Too bad the big bad of that campaign was essentially Galactus and the moon was his appetizer. Effectively made me mortal again, which kind of defeated the purpose of turning myself into a lich in the first place.

dantiesilva
2012-06-07, 09:30 PM
Normally the bigger it is the sooner you will die. Size is not an issue though, it is a wounderous item you create. Thus anything you want. Something already made can not be it though. The moon being the example. For example we went to nine hells stole asmundus spell book replaced it with my gem in the form of the spell book word for word and then gave it back.

Chained Birds
2012-06-08, 02:04 AM

You could also Carve a freaky looking smiling face on it while you're at it to just mess with everyone.

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 02:25 AM
You could also Carve a freaky looking smiling face on it while you're at it to just mess with everyone.

Yes then craft a wondrous item called May Jora's Mask that allows you to perform acts of Chaos but this item is secretly cursed... the moon feels a weird desire to crash into the mask :smallamused:

Rejakor
2012-06-08, 02:48 AM
What if you made a phylactery out of someone's corpse, and then that corpse got Raised?

nedz
2012-06-08, 09:04 AM

Thanks
You could have a whole chain of Liches, where each ones phylactery is another Liches skull; ending with some Demi-Liches at the end of course.

Staffs for Trap the Soul would be much more expensive and eventually all the Liches would be captured and an artifact that legend will call the "Archliches Phylactery" shall be discovered... and it must be taken to the top of mount doom where it must be tossed into its fires for its destruction to be completed...

They would never guess the old hidden in plain sight approach where a phylactery is disguised as a simple Ring of Invisibility.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-06-08, 12:07 PM
A question this tread brings to mind is can you turn the skull of another creature into a Demilich? I think it could be done if you magic jar inside it after cutting the head of before the ritual.

The Glyphstone
2012-06-08, 03:30 PM
You could have a whole chain of Liches, where each ones phylactery is another Liches skull; ending with some Demi-Liches at the end of course.

They would never guess the old hidden in plain sight approach where a phylactery is disguised as a simple Ring of Invisibility.

And now I'm remembering the story someone posted here about an epic campaign they played where the 'boss villain' was 206 Demiliches acting as a single skeleton.

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 03:34 PM
And now I'm remembering the story someone posted here about an epic campaign they played where the 'boss villain' was 206 Demiliches acting as a single skeleton.

...This makes me wonder: Can a Beholder Mage have a bunch of Demiliches where his old Eye Stalks were and still be able to cast spells? ... While they cast spells? :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2012-06-08, 03:37 PM
...This makes me wonder: Can a Beholder Mage have a bunch of Demiliches where his old Eye Stalks were and still be able to cast spells? ... While they cast spells? :smallamused:

If Lords of Madness is to be believed, no, because a beholder's eyestalks have no bones. No bones, no Demiliches.

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 03:55 PM
If Lords of Madness is to be believed, no, because a beholder's eyestalks have no bones. No bones, no Demiliches.

No i mean, can a Beholder Mage place Demiliches on his/her eye stalks after they are removed :smallconfused: (Like hanging them as earrings or something)

The Glyphstone
2012-06-08, 04:57 PM
No i mean, can a Beholder Mage place Demiliches on his/her eye stalks after they are removed :smallconfused: (Like hanging them as earrings or something)

.....I guess? I mean, you'd have to get the Demiliches to cooperate, but a Demilich is just a bone (traditionally a skull, yeah), so if it's okay with the whole thing, I guess you could have Demilich jewelry.

Rejakor
2012-06-08, 08:45 PM
Is it impossible to Raise a corpse if the corpse is now a wondrous item?

Anyway, I think we've all had the DnD Voltron show up in our games. I had it both with a dread necro who had used haunt shift to turn his Command Undeaded and undead leadership'd necropolitan wizard/psion/cleric cohorts into ghosts in his footwear and armour and rings and necklace and shield and weapon and helm, and when I had steampunk mechas that could voltron together onto a bigger steampunk mecha and use their weaponry from on top of it to gun down the PCs.