PDA

View Full Version : epic level suckitude.

robertbevan
2012-06-07, 08:21 AM
for the longest time, my friends and i were taking turns being DM because nobody wanted the job permanently. then we met a guy who did. hooray. but he doesn't have any kids, and so his wife and he are more free to do stuff on the weekend, so he'd be unavailable as often as not on friday nights. now other stuff has come up, so he's bailed on us completely.

a younger guy in the group has offered to take the reins, and so i felt good about that, but he said he wants us all to start off at 20th level. i've got a bad feeling about this for a number of reasons.

1. i like starting out at level one. part of the fun of "fantasy roleplaying" for me is the fantasy part. i can actually imagine myself as the character, starting out from humble beginnings, not too strong or swift or whatever... not too far removed from myself. and as i gradually gain experience, my suspension of disbelief can keep pace.

2. i like to feel like i earned my way to where i am.

3. i don't know what half of my special class related **** does. when i gradually level up from scratch, i've got a week of downtime (often more) to have a good look at my recently leveled up character, and see what each of my nifty new abilities are good for. when i suddenly have twenty levels' worth of **** dumped on me, i can't be bothered to look into all that at once.

4. maybe the biggest reason. we've got one player who had his brother make the most badass monstrosity he could think of within the parameters given to us by our new DM. so he's an undead centaur or some bull**** who can routinely dish out like six hundred hit points of damage in one go. and he's pushing another in the group to be a four-headed troll (another of his brother's creations) who is nearly invulnerable and, of course, dishes out ungodly amounts of damage. so i ask you... what, exactly, are our roleplaying options here? i can't imagine a plausible scenario in which my vanilla human rogue would be chumming around with an undead centaur and a four-headed troll. worst case scenario is going to be just one battle after another, with those two guys smashing everything and me drinking beer waiting for my turn to do a piddly thirty-something points of damage. best case scenario... hmmm... no, i think that's probably the best case scenario as well.

so am i right in that this is inevitably going to suck balls? or am i being a whiny bitch?

Pigkappa
2012-06-07, 08:30 AM
Your first objection is debatable IMHO. If you are bound to change DM every few months or even just once a year, you can't start from level 1 every time, or you'll never see levels 10+. It would get boring if you play for a long time.

However, there's some middle ground between starting from level 1 and starting from level 20. For an higher level adventure, starting from level 10 or 12 or 14 may be nice. The few (3 I think of) campaigns I've been playing in which started from level 20 went really, really bad, and they were usually over in a couple of weeks.

an undead centaur or some bull****
four-headed troll
Yeah, this is a problem with starting at level 20. By the D&D rules, you can play those atrocities with minor drawbacks (while it's harder if you start at, say, level 6). The DM can of course say he won't accept those characters, but that means limiting the characters' power, and a DM who wants to start from level 20 doesn't usually want to do that.

I think it's most likely going to end badly, but give it a shot.

docnessuno
2012-06-07, 08:33 AM
1) Play a straight sorcerer 20:
No class features
Limited spell selection

2) Look for advice on your spell selection:
Don't be a blaster
Play GOD

3) Laugh as your unoptimized T2 class outshines their "badass monstrosity" consistently.

4) ??

5) Profit

---

On a more serious note, talk with the GM, talk with the other players, consider leaving the group. I guess you play D&D to have fun, if you are not having fun you should not play.

Bharg
2012-06-07, 08:42 AM
Starting at level 20 with a DM that isn't practiced kind of sounds like it is inevitably going to suck balls.

It also kind of seems like you want different things from your game than the other players (actual roleplay instead of just hack and slash?). Maybe talk with them about it.

Are there many D&D groups in south korea?

I also suggest simply playing a high tier class.

robertbevan
2012-06-07, 08:50 AM
i'll be alright. just wanted to vent. D&D is mostly a way for us to hang out and drink on friday nights. i can still do that at least.

robertbevan
2012-06-07, 08:51 AM
I think it's most likely going to end badly, but give it a shot.

and then there's always this possibility.

SanguisAevum
2012-06-07, 09:33 AM
so i ask you... what, exactly, are our roleplaying options here? i can't imagine a plausible scenario in which my vanilla human rogue would be chumming around with an undead centaur and a four-headed troll

For probably the best examples of Epic level roleplaying see this thread, and its various related off-shoot threads. (warning, there is a LOT of story to read here... i literally lost 3 or 4 days of my life devouring this stuff when i first discovered it!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/story-hour/130712-pharamnes-urn-updated-4-25-12-a.html

Seph's tales of wyre are perhaps the best campaign logs i have ever read, with some of the best roleplaying i have ever read about.

It just so happens this is an EPIC campiagn... as in... the players are now approaching the CR 50-60 ranges. And it does not suffer in the slightest for it... the detail, roleplaying, story and events are simply awe inspiring.

If you have doubts about how well EPIC games turn out, i urge you to go and read everything you can that is related to "The Tales of Wyre"