PDA

View Full Version : Kobold "Assassin" Buildy Thingy...

Amoren
2012-06-07, 09:18 AM
Mostly an in the works character build, partially for a game I might be playing, and partially to build the dagger wielding kobold rogue I've played off and on again in 4e in 3.5. The theme of the class is a sneaky, backstabbing kobold utilizing a pair of daggers as his signature weapons, usually also sporting back up throwing daggers if the situation demands. He also possesses little if any magical ability, and almost certainly no psionic capacity. Dragonwrought works well, likely being a copper, however the character will be starting young (10 plus a few years depending, barely considered an adult among kobolds).

Build so far is Kobold Substitution Rogue 3/Hit and Run Fighter 2/Invisible Blade 5, likely ending with either ten more levels of rogue, or capping it with assassin. Special rulings: The intended feats for Invisible Blade prerequisites (Weapon Finesse, WF: Dagger, Two-Weapon Fighting), and the Invisible Blade's Insightful Feint ability counting as Improved Feint for the purposes of Surprising Riposte.

Feats are thus;
Level 1 Dragonwrought
Fighter 1: Weapon Finesse
Fighter 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 3: Weapon Focus: Dagger
Level 6: Combat Expertise
level 9: Surprising Riposte

The result, at tenth level, is a BAB 9, 5d6 sneak attack rogue, who's only one level behind other rogues in trap skills due to the +4 bonus on search and disable device due to his kobold sub levels (and only requiring 3 ranks in craft (trapmaking) to do so). He's immune to any spells that require the target to be humanoid, has dragon immunities and abilities, a +10 bonus to hide from dragonwrought and counting as a tiny creature (and as a desert kobold, lacks light sensitivity), a bite attack for more sneak attack opportunities, and, best of all, renders the target flat footed after hitting it after his free action feint. Later levels will likely throw on Craven and Darkstalker, as well as the rest of the TWF chain to make him quite the dextrous, kobold knife fighter. I'm also going with the belief that the third level kobold rogue substitution can still trade its improved trap sense for penetrating strike, since its only a buffed version of that ability, and shouldn't be an issue except with the most hard arse of DMs (not a problem if I make this an NPC!). His primary weapons are likely to be a pair of +3/4 magic daggers, most likely dragonfang daggers from a shadow dragon.

Now then, is there anything you guys could suggest to improve the build? The goals are to be a bad ass dagger wielding agile kobold fighter, who can also handle traps. I'd also be interested in if the build should be capped with ten levels of rogue (skill points, sneak attack, uncanny dodge + 8th kobold sub level perhaps, two rogue special abilities) or Assassin (spells to supplement his strengths, hide in plain sight, death attack and poison use). I'm not leaning towards the swashbuckler Daring Outlaw path because it leaves his trap skills to low at higher levels, and he might not have the skill points to invest four of them into search and disable device in the Swash levels.