PDA

View Full Version : Wreck-It Ralph, or on Concentrated Awesome

Trixie
2012-06-07, 12:45 PM
Seriously, check this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDQHVkYq4g) out. I think it has greatest potential out of movies starring these particular characters yet. On the other hand, moral outrage on who exactly stars in a movie 'for kids' in 3... 2... 1... :smallamused:

Kurgan
2012-06-07, 12:51 PM
Welp, I know I am seeing this. Here's hoping that Bison, Bowser, and Robotnik get more than that one cameo.

Trixie
2012-06-07, 02:25 PM
Indeed. And to make this thread 20% cooler, have fan made video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=biX5iSBaCKo#!) of the same concept :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2012-06-07, 07:05 PM
This looks like it could be quite fun.

tyckspoon
2012-06-07, 07:15 PM
This is kind of a big I-want-to-believe thing for me. I really like John Reilly, and it's a pretty neat concept.. but I can't quite shake the feeling this is going to turn out bad.

(Also what does it say about my beliefs that I have no problem accepting the premise of a video-game character ditching his world and going traveling through the greater land of video games, but I balk at the idea of anybody still playing or caring about an obscure 80's arcade game?)

Fjolnir
2012-06-07, 08:23 PM
it is an arcade cabinet in a "Family Fun Center" they often see some play, though that one didn't have massive dents in it from boot skates so I would guess there are go-karts or mini golf there as well...

Gamerlord
2012-06-08, 10:29 AM
Huh, it's sort of like what would happened if you threw Toy Story and Monsters Inc. into a blender, and added in a bit of Megamind. Looks quite promising.
Also, I'm a bit (Read: REALLY) rusty on my Street Fighter lore, but was Zangief ever a villain besides that one movie? :smallconfused:

DiscipleofBob
2012-06-08, 10:47 AM
Huh, it's sort of like what would happened if you threw Toy Story and Monsters Inc. into a blender, and added in a bit of Megamind. Looks quite promising.
Also, I'm a bit (Read: REALLY) rusty on my Street Fighter lore, but was Zangief ever a villain besides that one movie? :smallconfused:

I could be wrong, but I think in at least one of the video games, he was unknowingly fighting on Shadaloo's behalf. In later games, he just turns into a robot and wrestles bears.

It could also just be the fact that you have to fight him in the game (assuming you didn't pick him to start with).

I'm wary of this movie. When the media tries to portray geek subculture, particularly in the video game department, it rarely gets the details even remotely accurate or gives the geeks or the video games any sort of dignity or credibility. I guess we'll see if this movie changes anything.

Trixie
2012-06-09, 02:43 PM
I'm wary of this movie. When the media tries to portray geek subculture, particularly in the video game department, it rarely gets the details even remotely accurate or gives the geeks or the video games any sort of dignity or credibility. I guess we'll see if this movie changes anything.

The difference in this case might be the fact the writers were young enough to actually visit arcade centres themselves? :smallwink:

Pokonic
2012-06-09, 02:56 PM
This could either be realy good, or realy, realy bad. I have faith in Pixar, however, so heres hoping for a bright future!

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-10, 01:09 PM
I don't think this is pixar. Just Disney:

This will either be very good, or very bland.

thubby
2012-06-10, 01:20 PM
i am severely conflicted.
on one hand, basically every movie even remotely videogame related has been bad.
on the other, pixar doesn't do bad work.

hmm

Devonix
2012-06-10, 01:27 PM

Might not be Pixar, but it's still John Lassiter

TSGames
2012-06-10, 04:20 PM

The lack of Pixar is extremely disconcerting. That said, I will still watch it in theaters. My expectations will be set to "bare minimum".

dariathalon
2012-06-10, 05:04 PM
If you are curious about the sort of life Wreck-It Ralph is leaving behind, you might want to check this out. (http://disney.go.com/wreck-it-ralph/#/fixitfelix) A kind of fun way to waste a few minutes.

Devonix
2012-06-10, 05:41 PM
The lack of Pixar is extremely disconcerting. That said, I will still watch it in theaters. My expectations will be set to "bare minimum".

Actually the CG Disney movies are pretty good. Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Tangled. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs.. All good movies.

JadedDM
2012-06-10, 07:00 PM
Yes, this is definitely not Pixar. Pixar only releases about one movie a year, and this year's film will be Brave.

I keep seeing a lot of promotion that focuses on John Reilly being in it. If this was a Pixar film, we wouldn't. Pixar never broadcasts the voice actors involved, even if they are really big names. :smallsmile:

Reverent-One
2012-06-10, 09:51 PM
Actually the CG Disney movies are pretty good. Bolt, Meet the Robinsons, Tangled. Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs.. All good movies.

Huh? Cloudy wasn't a Disney movie at all. It was Sony Pictures.

Devonix
2012-06-10, 09:53 PM
Huh? Cloudy wasn't a Disney movie at all. It was Sony Pictures.

Really? It looked so much like the non Pixar Disney CGI that I thought it was one of theirs.

Devonix
2012-06-10, 09:59 PM
Yes, this is definitely not Pixar. Pixar only releases about one movie a year, and this year's film will be Brave.

I keep seeing a lot of promotion that focuses on John Reilly being in it. If this was a Pixar film, we wouldn't. Pixar never broadcasts the voice actors involved, even if they are really big names. :smallsmile:

Ok don't know much about the writer's work but the Director Richard Moore has some serious experience in making memorable animated works. Just check out his IMDB

Lord Seth
2012-06-10, 10:27 PM
This film will probably be a really really big flop or a really really big hit.

Fjolnir
2012-06-11, 10:46 AM
The concentrated awesome won't hit until we end up playing a KH or Epic Mickey sequel with a Wreck it Ralph world in it...

Jayngfet
2012-06-12, 12:28 AM
Well, I'm super excited for this movie. The crossover elements seem fun and the people in charge seem to actually know enough about video games to not embarrass themselves. It's been a long time coming but it looks like this is going to be the first good, reasonably accurate, successful video game movie to come out.

I am however going to point out some fishy elements of production. If you look at early screenshots of the Villains meeting, Dr. Wily was featured and placed front and center. Obviously because it was just a screenshot we don't know how much of a role he had but it was there. Now he seems to be noticeably missing and replaced with another character. Obviously since Zangief, Bison, Chun-Li, and Ryu are still seen it's not like Capcom randomly pulled out of the project. Capcom still owns Megaman to my knowledge, so obviously they didn't NEED to pull out. Considering the way Legends 3 and Universe fell through around this timeframe I'm going to guess SOMETHING is going on inside Capcom that's stopping Megaman stuff specifically from coming through.

Fjolnir
2012-06-12, 01:15 AM
Well, I'm super excited for this movie. The crossover elements seem fun and the people in charge seem to actually know enough about video games to not embarrass themselves. It's been a long time coming but it looks like this is going to be the first good, reasonably accurate, successful video game movie to come out.

The Wizard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_(film)) would like a word with you... All joking aside though, I agree that this will be the first really GOOD video game movie that doesn't have the industry leading the subjects slowly by the nose to get it right...

Green-Shirt Q
2012-06-12, 09:35 PM
I'm really looking forward to it, and haven't been this hyped for a movie since they annonced a Deadpool movie in 2012!

While I agree that it could turn out bad, because geek culture and videogames have been RARELY shown as positive in any mainstream media, this movie's trailers seem to have a really affectionate view of them. And I think the cameos of Pac-man ghost, Bowser, Robotnik, Zangief, M. Bison, Chun-Li, Smoke, Kano, and Q-bert kinda prove how commited they are and how much knowlegde they have on the subject.

I'm looking forward to a movie that celebrates video games rather than demonizes them.

And the trailer is also really funny, too. That's promising. :smallsmile:

MCerberus
2012-06-13, 10:48 AM
As with what the above stated, you'll notice that there is a member of geek culture shown in the trailer. The little girl that likes to spend time in the arcade seems very very likely to play a large hand in resolving the plot.

This is an amazing step up from the usual role of people that play games in movies: sociopathic criminals.

Rallicus
2012-06-13, 11:33 AM
What's with all the "it might be good, it might be bad" comments? Why can't it be average? What are you getting at when you're claiming that you might like something or you might not? Anything you haven't seen has the potential to be bad or good. Why are you all stating the obvious?

That said, I have a feeling that I'll end up liking this movie. I think adding pre-established characters (Toy Story, anyone?) will work to it's advantage.

Also... seeing Q-BERT as a homeless thing begging for work and food was pretty depressing. Q-BERT was my first game. :smallfrown:

super dark33
2012-06-13, 12:08 PM
Me gusta!

looks like a great movie to watch with family.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-06-13, 12:10 PM
The concentrated awesome won't hit until we end up playing a KH or Epic Mickey sequel with a Wreck it Ralph world in it...

I don't think we're ever going to get that. It'd be so hard to get Mickey and Bowser and Eggman all in the same game. Wreck-It Ralph doesn't have any really big Disney characters in it. Plus, for all we know they just cameo.

Giggling Ghast
2012-06-13, 02:21 PM
I gotta give credit to any game that features the cast of Q*bert begging for food.

Nekura
2012-06-13, 09:00 PM
i am severely conflicted.
on one hand, basically every movie even remotely videogame related has been bad.
on the other, pixar doesn't do bad work.

hmm

You didn't like scott pilgrim vs the world? Or does that not count because it wasn't about a videogame only had video game elements. I for one liked the trailer and will probable go see it.