PDA

View Full Version : Healing Potion

SirWolf312
2012-06-07, 02:30 PM
I was looking through the AV at the alchemy section and noticed that there are no entries for a healing potion except for one very weak one. I was thinking of making one to have a stronger one that my PC could make and not have to buy them.

I was thinking a level 10 item that heals 2d10. Does this sound too powerful?

NecroRebel
2012-06-07, 02:42 PM
Healing potions are potions, not alchemical mixtures. They're consumable magic items, in other words. Potions are explicitly magical, whereas alchemy might be explained as nonmagical (though often fantastic) in nature. They're found in PHB1, and there are versions for levels 5, 15, and 25, take a healing surge to use, healing 10, 25, and 50, respectively. The L15 and 25 versions also grant a saving throw against the active effects. There's also a L30 potion that resurrects somebody who died recently.

allonym
2012-06-07, 04:30 PM
In Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, there are 4 potions which do the sort of thing you want - Potions of Cure Light/Moderate/Critical wounds, and the Potion of Heal - item levels 1, 10, 20 and 30 respectively. They work in a similar fashion to the healing potions from the PHB, except that the amount they heal is random rather than fixed, and if you have no healing surges left to spend, they still work if you are bloodied.

In specific reference to making a level 10 healing potion, the level 10 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds causes you to spend a healing surge and, instead of the usual amount healed, regain 2d8+10 hit points.

It's all up on the Compendium if you have DDI.

Does that help?

SirWolf312
2012-06-08, 12:32 AM
Yes that does help thanks. I may just make that and make it a little more expensive to make and get rid of the spend a healing surge part cause this is most likely going to be a one session item.