PDA

View Full Version : Base Class Request

Madara
2012-06-07, 06:49 PM
There are probably some people who like making homebrew but need some inspiration. I need a base class for the world building project (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245619) I have. So, I am looking for some help. In exchange I will make a cool trophy for your sig.

Details:
I need a psionic class that doesn't use powers. Similar to the Channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244939) perhaps? Or like many of the other non-vatican spellcasters popping up on this forum.
I want it to work for The Brain in the Jar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8674054&postcount=649).

The reason: I'm trying to use all homebrew classes in my world, and I find this forum to lack psionic-flavor classes which would fit well in the world I'm building.

Don't make it broken, I like T3-4, but don't let it hold you back. Anyways, is anyone out there that would help me? :smallsmile:

Jarian
2012-06-07, 07:11 PM
I might be able to make this happen, but first I'd like to clarify a few things.

You want the class to be something akin to a psionic warlock, with at-will psionic powers?
Do you want the psionic augmentation inherent to many powers to play a role in the totally-not-powers-PLA's the class would get?
Is the class intended to more closely model a fullcaster, mobile skirmisher, beatstick, or something else?
Does the class have to be entirely devoid of power points, or just not use them to manifest powers normally?

Madara
2012-06-07, 07:35 PM
I might be able to make this happen, but first I'd like to clarify a few things.

You want the class to be something akin to a psionic warlock, with at-will psionic powers?
Yeah, pretty much. That's the idea.
Do you want the psionic augmentation inherent to many powers to play a role in the totally-not-powers-PLA's the class would get?
It's up to you. I could go either way, but it'd certainly be cool and have the psionic feel.
Is the class intended to more closely model a fullcaster, mobile skirmisher, beatstick, or something else?
Mostly a Fullcaster
Does the class have to be entirely devoid of power points, or just not use them to manifest powers normally?
Just not use them to manifest powers normally. You could have it entirely devoid if you want, but using power point would probably give you more options.

Those are the answers.

Empedocles
2012-06-07, 09:23 PM
I might try my hand at this as well.

Madara
2012-06-07, 09:34 PM
I might try my hand at this as well.

Well, it would be rather silly to have two classes that fill the same role, so if you feel interested, I suggest picking one of the other races

Mindflayers(Probably not, since there already will be a psionic class, unless you think you can make one different enough)
Minotaurs:
Centaurs:
Kuo-Toa:
Imp:

Empedocles
2012-06-07, 10:59 PM
Well, it would be rather silly to have two classes that fill the same role, so if you feel interested, I suggest picking one of the other races

Mindflayers(Probably not, since there already will be a psionic class, unless you think you can make one different enough)
Minotaurs:
Centaurs:
Kuo-Toa:
Imp:

So you want me to make a class for one of these races?

I'm thinking something with binding, but more infernal, or possibly the eidolon system for the imp. Sound good?

Madara
2012-06-08, 07:02 AM
Other than not knowing what a eidolon is, it sounds good. :smallsmile:

bobthe6th
2012-06-08, 07:27 AM
when the contest finishes up, I might throw the elan up here...

Madara
2012-06-08, 07:43 AM
It's not actually a contest...

Empedocles
2012-06-08, 08:04 AM
It's not actually a contest...

He means the current base class contest. You make a class for a race, and he's doing an elan. Once the contest is over, he'll put it up here.

Madara
2012-06-08, 08:20 AM
:smallredface:

Well that makes sense. It looks like I'll have lots of classes for World 2 :smallsmile:

Which is good since I emptied 9 pages from the homebrew forums worth of base classes in order to find 10 I kept :smallsigh:

bobthe6th
2012-06-08, 05:21 PM
yeah, the contest requires that the entry be exclusive to that thread until the contest is over...

dspeyer
2012-06-09, 02:21 AM
Hmm, to a psion as a warlock is to a sorcerer...

Resonanzgeist

Sometimes a psionic mind resonates with a fundamental principle of the world or of the universal subconscious. Thus is created a resonanzgeist. Their powers are similar to those of a psion. Mostly they are weaker, since these universals are not so easily bent to one's will as one's own mind is. They do have one great advantage, though: their powers cannot be exhausted unless the principle they resonate with is extinguished from the multiverse.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|special|pp/round|max power level|powers known
1st|0|0|0|2|resonance: skill|1|0|2
2nd|1|0|0|3|resonance: power|1|0|4
3rd|1|1|1|3||1|1|6
4th|2|1|1|4||2|1|7
5th|2|1|1|4|resonance: skill focus|2|1|9
6th|3|2|2|5||3|1|10
7th|3|2|2|5||3|2|11
8th|4|2|2|6||4|2|12
9th|4|3|3|6|resonance: power list|4|2|14
10th|5|3|3|7||5|2|15
11th|5|3|3|7||5|3|16
12th|6|4|4|8||6|3|17
13th|6|4|4|8|resonance: skill comfort|6|3|19
14th|7|4|4|9||7|3|20
15th|7|5|5|9||7|4|21
16th|8|5|5|10||8|4|22
17th|8|5|5|10|resonance: power boost|8|4|24
18th|9|6|6|11||9|4|25
19th|9|6|6|11||9|5|26
20th|10|6|6|12|gather power|9|5|27[/table]
HD: d4
Skills: 2+int
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Concentration, Knowledge(psionics), Psicraft

Resonanzgeists cast from the psion list, with save dcs based on wisdom.

Many of a resonanzgeist's class features depend on what principle his mind resonates with. Here is a table of principles and their effects on those features. Other principles are possible, and have linked abilities that are of roughly comparable power and usefullness.

{table=head]principle|power list|skill|power
creativity|shaper|craft(any)|conjure 1 handful / pp of a common substance
faith|egoist|knowledge(religion)|heal 1 hp/pp for yourself or a touched creature
empathy|telepath|sense motive|become aware of the general emotional state of 1 creature/pp within 30 ft -- will negates
the physical elements|kineticist|knowledge(the planes)|deal 1 hp/pp raw energy damage to chosen target within 30 ft, no save
curiosity|seer|search|use one sense as if your sense organs were 1 ft/pp away from where they really are
one's nation|nomad|knowledge(history)|become aware of things of great relevance to your nation within 10ft/pp[/table]

resonance: skill: The skill associated with the resonant principle is added to the resonanzgeist's clas skill list.

resonance: power: The resonanzgeist gains the power associated with his principle. This does not count against powers known.

resonance: skill focus: The resonanzgeist gains skill focus with the associated skill as a bonus feat. If he already has this, he gains any feat for which he qualifies.

resonance: power list: The resonanzgeist may select powers known from the associated power list.

resonance: skill comfort: The resonanzgeist may take 10 on the associated skill even if rushed or threatened.

resonance: power boost: The resonanzgeist has one additional power point to spend when casting the associated power or a power from the associated list.

gather power: Instead of manifesting a power, a resonanzgeist may gather power for a future round. He may add up to 5pp to his gathered power each turn. At the end of any round at which he is holding power, he must make a will save dc 15+pp gathered. If he fails, all the gathered energy is released doing 1d6/pp damage to the resonanzgeist and anyone within 30 ft (reflex negates, same dc, for people who are nearby -- no save for the resonanzgeist himself). When a resonanzgeist manifests a power with power gathered, he adds the gathered points to his normal points.

Level 0 powers:
While normally psionics does not include level 0 powers, beginning resonanzgeists depend on them. Here are a few:

Slide: As a move action, levitate slightly and move 1ft/pp along the ground. Ignore terrain obstacles. You may manifest this even if paralyzed.

Shatter: Destroy a nonmagical, unattended object of up to 2(hp+dr)/pp

Social Enhancement: Gain an enhancement bonus to bluff, sense motive and intimidate checks equal to pp spent.

Physical Enhancement: Gain an enhancement bonus to climb, jump and swim checks equal to pp spent.

Awareness Enhancement: Gain an enhancement bonus to spot, listen and search checks equal to pp spent. Also, a dc 15 spot check reveals otherwise invisible magical or psionic effects.

Push: Apply up to 1 lb/pp of force at any point in any direction. If the point is on a creature or an object held by a creature, that creature gets a reflex save to avoid the force.

Channel Heat: Increase or decrease the temperature of an unattended object weighing up to 5lbs by 10K/pp.

Madara
2012-06-10, 08:42 AM
It looks pretty good so far. I'm not sure how the pp/round works, but it looks cool.

dspeyer
2012-06-11, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure how the pp/round works.

You get that many pp each round. They refresh at the beginning of your turn.

Or did you mean what it turns into in game? I'd expect casting multiple powers per round would be very rare, so each turn you'd pick a known power at full augmentation and manifest it. The ultimate effect should be fairly warlock-like.

Madara
2012-06-11, 09:45 AM
Very cool.

Are you other guys going to post it in this thread? Or in another?

Prime32
2012-06-11, 12:39 PM
Does this count? (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=31)

Morph Bark
2012-06-11, 12:47 PM
Here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1128.0) is a psionic invocation-using "fix" of the Soulknife. It is less castery than you wanted, but it's a start.

I know there was a psionic invoker fullcaster on GitP once, as I saw it come by and liked it, but I dunno its name.

Madara
2012-06-11, 01:50 PM
Those are closer. Still not quite there.

Question: Does the Resonanzgeist have bonus pp/level(such as from a race) do anything? Like add to the pp/round?

dspeyer
2012-06-11, 09:44 PM
No, the Resonanzgeist gets no bonus pp. Wisdom only effects save dcs.

Same pattern as the warlock. Plus any additional pp/round would be too strong.

Melayl
2012-06-12, 12:47 PM
Try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199227)class.

Madara
2012-06-13, 08:28 PM
Not quite, I'm looking for a primary caster. Hey guys, the trophy's waiting :smallsmile:

dspeyer
2012-06-14, 10:11 PM
Here's something I've been toying with for ages and just realized mostly fit your description:

The Ectoplancer

An ectoplancer is an almost-psion, whose mind can shape the world in powerful but limited ways: specifically, by coating it in various forms of ectoplasm.

LevelBABFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialPower PointsAugments
1st0002Spew Ectoplasm4lubricant, adhesive, energy, hardness
2nd1003Anchored Ectoplasm12movement
3rd1113Ectoplasmic Mist21
4th2114Ectoplasmic Wall31force, nausea
5th2114Ectoplasmic Power 145
6th3225Ectoplasmic Cage61teleport (limited)
7th322578
8th422696glamoured
9th4336Lesser Astral Construct115distraction
10th5337Ectoplasmic Power 2136
11th5337159teleport (general)
12th6448183necrotic, deep
13th6448206power-proof
14th7449Ectoplasmic Power 3229
15th7559253plane-shift
16th85510276dominate
17th85510Ectoplasmic Power 4300
18th96611322
19th96611Ectoplasmic Power 5342
20th106612Augment Synergy360

Hit die: d4
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft (any), Knowledge (any), Listen, Psicraft, Spot
Skills: 2+int

Ectoplancers gain additional power points for intelligence, as psions do. Any save dcs they inflict are 10 + int mod + ceil(pp spent / 2). While their abilities are not exactly powers, they are similar enough for metapsionic feats to apply to them. Their abilities have a range of 50 ft + 5 ft/level. Anything they create lasts for concentration plus 1 round/level.

Spew Ectoplasm(su): As a standard action, an ectoplancer can coat an object or a part of an object in ectoplasm. The total surface coated cannot exceed 25 square feet. A reflex save can prevent the ectoplasm from hitting the target (if the target is or is held by someone capable of making reflex saves). The ectoplasm is translucent, has 2 hp, 10 hardness, and requires a dc 15 strength check to tear. The ectoplancer may spend power points to coat a larger area, at a rate of 1 point per additional 25 square feet.

Anchored Ectoplasm(su): As a standard action, for 2 power points, an ectoplancer can spread a sheet of ectoplasm across open space, anchored on both sides. The sheet may be up to 25 square feet, The ectoplasm has the same properties as before, and again can be grown by 25 sq ft per pp.

Ectoplasmic Mist(su): As a standard action, for 3 power points, an ectoplancer can spread ectoplasm into a diffuse mist. The mist fills a 5x5x5 cube, and additional cubes can be created for 1pp each. The mist is opaque: white with occasional sheens of all other colors. Mist is harder to augment than regular ectoplasm, so that only three augmentations (energy, nausea and necrotic) can be applied, and at greater costs.

Ectoplasmic Wall(su): Like Anchored Ectoplasm, but costs 4 power points and does not require anchors.

Ectoplasmic Power(su): There is a natural tension of ectoplasm wishing to enter the material plane. An experienced ectoplancer can use this energy to help fuel her powers. At first, she can source 1 power point of the cost of an ectoplasmic projection from this source rather than from her own power pool. As she gains experience, this increases to 5. At no time does this increase the total number of points she can channel -- it only decreases the cost to her. A cost can be zero, but not negative. If she has any actual psionic powers (for example, by being a multiclass psion) this does not apply to them.

Ectoplasmic Cage(su): As a standard action, for 6 power points, an ectoplancer can create 6 ectoplasmic walls at once forming a cube with no gaps. Each additional power point increases the size of any or all of the walls by 25 sq ft, but the cage must always form a rectangular prism.

Lesser Astral Construct(su): An ectoplancer can bring forth a blob of ectoplasm that acts somewhat like a living being. This acts like the Astral Construct power, except that it costs twice the power points and the resulting creature always looks like an ugly, conspicuous blob. The normal ectoplancer augments still apply normally.

Augment Synergy(su): When a master ectoplancer applies two different augmentations to a lump of ectoplasm, she need only pay power points for the more expensive of the two. If she applies more than two, she must pay for the rest normally.

Augmentations

Whenever an ectoplancer brings forth ectoplasm, she can augment it in the following ways:

lubricant: For 1 power point, an Ectoplancer can make the ectoplasm slippery like grease. Anyone attempting to hold or stand on the ectoplasm must make a reflex save or fail. This cannot be combined with the adhesive augmentation.
adhesive: For 1 power point, an Ectoplancer can make the ectoplasm sticky. Overcoming this is a dc 15 strength check. For every two additional pp spend, the dc increases by 1. This cannot be combined with the lubricant augmentation.
energy: An Ectoplancer can fill the ectoplasm with harmful energy. Anyone who touches it suffers 1d6 damage per power point spent. This damage can be fire, electricity or cold at the ectoplancer's choice. This augmentation can also be applied to ectoplasmic mists, but then the damage is only 1d4/pp.
hardness: For each power point spent, an Ectoplancer can increase the hardness of ectoplasm by 5 and the tear dc by 2.
movement: For 2 power points, an Ectoplancer can fill ectoplasm with movement. Anyone touching it is moved 5ft/round along the ectoplasm in the direction of the ectoplancer's choosing (this stops if the movement takes the creature out of contact with the ectoplasm). Resisting the flow is a dc 10 strength check that requires something to hold on to. If the ectoplasm is also sticky, sum the dcs. If relevant, gravity adds or subtracts 5 from the check. For every 2 additional power points spent, the speed increases 5ft/rnd and the dc increases by 1.
force[b] For 4 power points, an Ectoplancer can harden the ectoplasm so that it behaves like force (see the wall of force spell).
[b]nausea: For 4 power points, an Ectoplancer can fill the ectoplasm with inharmonious energy. Anyone touching it must make a fort save or be nauseated for one round. Anyone who continues touching it is effected again each round. For each additional power point spent, the duration increases by one round. This can be applied to an ectoplasmic mist, but then it costs 6 power points.
teleport (limited): For 6 power points, an Ectoplancer can tie the ectoplasm to space itself. Anyone who touches it is teleported up to 15 ft in a direction of the ectoplancer's choosing (but not into a solid object). Will negates. Every additional 3 points increases the distance by 5 ft.
glamoured: For 8 power points, an Ectoplancer can transform the way ectoplasm interacts with light. Anyone looking through the ectoplasm sees what the ectoplancer chooses. This is an optical effect, so it cannot be disbelieved (though reality can always be deduced from other clues). This does not effect non-visual senses.
distraction: For 9 power points, an Ectoplancer can fill the ectoplasm with emotion. Anyone attempting to manifest a power, cast a spell, or otherwise use an ability that requires concentration must make a dc 20 concentration check. For every additional point spent, the dc increases by 2.
teleport (general): Like teleport(lesser), but there is no distance limit. The destination must be familiar to the ectoplancer.
necrotic: For 12 power points, an Ectoplancer can fill the ectoplasm with raw death-energy. Any living being touching the ectoplasm must make a fort save or die. This can be applied to an ectoplasmic mist, but then it costs 15 points.
deep: For 12 power points, an Ectoplancer can tie the ectoplasm deep into the nature of reality. No one can teleport through the ectoplasm, nor pass through it on the ethereal or astral plane. The ectoplasm can still be circumvented if a route exists around it within the distance limits of the teleport.
power-proof: For 13 power points, an Ectoplancer can instill the ectoplasm with raw mundanity. Powers, spells and similar effects cannot cross the ectoplasm.
plane-shift: Like teleport(greater), but 15 power points and the destination can be on any plane.
dominate: For 16 power points, an Ectoplancer can infuse the ectoplasm with her own will. Any creature touching it must make a will save or be dominated.