PDA

View Full Version : Escaping a Dead Magic plane as a Spellcaster

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 05:38 AM
This idea has been floating in my head for a while that it is possible to escape a plane that has the Dead Magic trait by using 2 spells that appear on 2 different spell list (It will require spell research). The 2 spells required are Invoke Magic and Lesser Planar Exchange (Cleric 4).

Invoke Magic allows you to cast one 4th level spell or lower while in an area of no magic (Anti-Magic Field, Dead Magic Zone, etc) Lesser Planar Exchange allows you to swap places with a creature on another plane for 1 round/CL.

Nevermind, you can't cast spells while exchange'd :smallannoyed:

Anywho! I'm looking for ways escape a Dead Magic plane and I'm consulting the playgrounds infinite wisdom... so... guide me :smalltongue:

Aharon
2012-06-08, 05:44 AM
- Have a friend who uses the transport travellers function of wish to get you out.
- Portals work even on dead magic planes, find out if there is such a portal on this plane.
- Use the save game technique to undo your entrapment.

blackjack217
2012-06-08, 05:50 AM
Abuse Psoinic magic transparency?

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 06:00 AM

We're assuming they function as the same thing meaning a Dead Magic plane is also a Dead Psionics Plane (Think Earth and unless you want to confess to being a Wizard or a Psion then we're assuming they don't exist outside of our dreams)

- Have a friend who uses the transport travellers function of wish to get you out.
- Use the save game technique to undo your entrapment.

We are assuming that you are a lone Wizard.

- Portals work even on dead magic planes, find out if there is such a portal on this plane.

Now your thinking with portals! :smallamused: (Good idea, but we're assuming this is Earth and I'd rather not get into a conspiracy thread so no portals)

liking the feed back so far though :smallbiggrin:

Feralventas
2012-06-08, 06:03 AM

Seconding this. There are many ways to power and if magic is dead you figure out which ones aren't and bail out.

Psionic power comes from within; you bring your power with you.
Incarnum Power comes from Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos, but considering the source on that is "magic of incarnum" it may not be a good example.

Science your way out of it; Use Technical Device skill.

Walk The Sublime Path. Cut your way to the next plane with the stroke of a sword; if you can, use the spell-seeds in the EPHB to craft an epic maneuver to do this.

Figure out that big ritual that Szas Tam was planning to use in the Unclean, Undead, Unholy trilogy of Forgotten Realms novels.

Do a little book-work; you should be good at it in most cases, and you could stand to read a bit more if you don't. Research natural holes and tears in the reality of the place.

Get a Really high escape artist check. If DC 80 lets you crawl through someone's digestive tract, 200 or so should let you slip between the veils of reality.

Amoren
2012-06-08, 06:33 AM
If we're assuming this is every day Earth and all sorts of magic or 'fantasy' is off the table (Incarnum, Psionics, Sword Magic, etc), I suggest getting a rocket. I'm not entirely accurate on dead magic planes, but from what I remember the planar geography of DnD is odd, so if you manage to get into the void off planet/plane, you might be able to use magic again?

Cespenar
2012-06-08, 06:34 AM
Invoke Magic, Rope Trick, enter Rope Trick's extradimensional space carrying a Bag of Holding (which you probably have).

Then, what happens is pretty much up to the GM. I myself would rule that all within the Rope Trick would be shunted to the Astral Plane, like the infamous Bag of Holding/Portable Hole situation.

hushblade
2012-06-08, 06:45 AM
Warblade dip/martial study for iron heart surge?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-08, 01:49 PM
Cast Invoke Magic. Cast Shadow Well on yourself. You're now in the Plane of Shadow, and you can freely cast Plane Shift, Gate, etc. to return home.

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 01:56 PM
If we're assuming this is every day Earth and all sorts of magic or 'fantasy' is off the table (Incarnum, Psionics, Sword Magic, etc), I suggest getting a rocket. I'm not entirely accurate on dead magic planes, but from what I remember the planar geography of DnD is odd, so if you manage to get into the void off planet/plane, you might be able to use magic again?

Hmm... I hear that the void between planets functions as the Negative Energy Plane... If that really words then sweet :smallamused:

Warblade dip/martial study for iron heart surge?

you are a level 20 Wizard, nothing is within your CR to give you another level :smalltongue:

Hirax
2012-06-08, 02:00 PM
Cast Invoke Magic. Cast Shadow Well on yourself. You're now in the Plane of Shadow, and you can freely cast Plane Shift, Gate, etc. to return home.

Sadly not on a demiplane

Demiplanes are not coexistent with the Ethereal Plane or other Transitive Planes, so spells that require access to the Astral Plane, the ethereal Plane, or the Plane of Shadow do not function.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-08, 02:06 PM
Well then, have Sanctum Spell. Cast Invoke Magic. Cast a Sanctum Dismissal on yourself. You're not inside your designated sanctum, so it's considered a 4th level spell. You're automatically sent back to your native plane.

Hirax
2012-06-08, 02:14 PM
Eh, I'd prefer arcane disciple (balance). In addition to dismissal as a 4th level spell you get some other decent spells like word of balance, mass sanctuary, and make whole. Either way, this is an obscure enough edge case that it's probably not worth spending a feat. Both feats do other good things, sure, but for one reason or another aren't going to be wanted by a lot of people.

Amoren
2012-06-08, 02:16 PM
You know, it occurs to me that you could live a nice, comfy life on Earth as a trapped wizard. After all, a reasonably optimized wizard has a 16-18 Intelligence, at level one. A level twenty wizard would likely have anywhere between 21 to 28, naturally. Steven Hawking only has an intelligence of 18, although how many levels of expert he has might be up for debate (likely not much more than a few, anyway, at least in DnD logic).

You'd be the smartest person on the planet. Start super villianing up in that bitch.

deuxhero
2012-06-08, 02:30 PM
But you are bonned until you can get a level and learn modern tech.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-08, 02:50 PM
Eh, I'd prefer arcane disciple (balance). In addition to dismissal as a 4th level spell you get some other decent spells like word of balance, mass sanctuary, and make whole. Either way, this is an obscure enough edge case that it's probably not worth spending a feat. Both feats do other good things, sure, but for one reason or another aren't going to be wanted by a lot of people.

Sanctum Spell is actually quite useful in its 'drawback' version. It allows you to use lower grade metamagic rods on no-save spells (Enervation), and you can put 4th level spells into Spell Storing weapons with it. It reduces a spell's base level so that Arcane Thesis can reduce its spell slot cost to one below its original, on top of being another free metamagic to help bring that number down.

Amoren
2012-06-08, 02:58 PM

Who says you need modern tech? Craft construct and start with the clockwork steam punk uprising!

deuxhero
2012-06-08, 03:59 PM
On dead magic plane?

Gavinfoxx
2012-06-08, 04:33 PM
Uh, constructs work just fine in antimagic zones, and presumably, dead magic planes...

deuxhero
2012-06-08, 05:18 PM
I thought the crafting rules required you cast the spell, turns out you don't.

Chess435
2012-06-08, 05:24 PM
Invoke Magic x2> Heroics x2 > Iron Heart Surge should work, unless Heroics has a no-stacking clause.

Hirax
2012-06-08, 05:26 PM
Invoke Magic x2> Heroics x2 > Iron Heart Surge should work, unless Heroics has a no-stacking clause.

Dead magic trait isn't something measured in rounds.

Randomguy
2012-06-08, 05:27 PM
Invoke magic + rope trick + plane shift while you're in the rope trick?

Jarian
2012-06-08, 05:28 PM
you are a level 20 Wizard, nothing is within your CR to give you another level :smalltongue:

Invoke Magic, Heroics, Iron Heart Surge away the Dead Magic. :smalltongue:

Edit: Ninja. Or I'm blind. Either way.

Chess435
2012-06-08, 05:29 PM

Dang, forgot about that. :smallfrown:

Arcanist
2012-06-08, 05:36 PM

Neither is anti-magic field... Its measured in minutes :smallcool:

Amoren
2012-06-08, 05:37 PM
Exactly. Now build yourself a 50ft tall mechanical spider.

Psyren
2012-06-08, 10:19 PM

By default, Psionics won't help you either. SRD/XPH:

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

You need to actually remove psionics-magic transparency to get out that way, and that's a variant rule.

Absol197
2012-06-08, 11:01 PM
Well, I didn't know about this Invoke Magic spell before, but now that I do...

It seems the obvious way would be to cast that, then cast dismissal on yourself. Since you're not on your home plane, you're an extraplanar creature, and so are a valid target. And you can always willingly fail saving throws, so no need to worry about that. Even if you bite the 20% chance to go to the wrong plane, you're still somewhere where you can use magic again, and so you can get home the normal way.

EDIT: Oh, the "level 4 or lower" restriction...well, dismissal is a cleric 4 spell. Maybe you can research a level 4 version...

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-06-09, 11:01 AM
You know, it occurs to me that you could live a nice, comfy life on Earth as a trapped wizard. After all, a reasonably optimized wizard has a 16-18 Intelligence, at level one. A level twenty wizard would likely have anywhere between 21 to 28, naturally. Steven Hawking only has an intelligence of 18, although how many levels of expert he has might be up for debate (likely not much more than a few, anyway, at least in DnD logic).

You'd be the smartest person on the planet. Start super villianing up in that bitch.

Still have knowledge nature, engineering, dungeoneering, geography and local. Once ID and some qualifications been received, try and build a non magical portal.