PDA

View Full Version : Untyped Attack Bonus [3.5]

Kansaschaser
2012-06-08, 12:08 PM
Okay, I've played a Warblade that uses the Blood in the Water stance. This stance gives you an untyped +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls every time you crit. We know that if you keep critting, the bonus will stack with itself since it's untyped.

I was just reading through the Complete Champion and I saw the Imbued Healing [Metamagic] feat. Basically, every time you heal with a Conjuration(healing) spell, you can give the recipient something beneficial for 1 minute. There are things like +2 sacred/profane bonuses to saves or temporary hit points.

The thing that stands out is the Strength effect and the War effect. If you selected Strength, the recipients get a +2 damage with melee attacks. If you selected War, the recipients get a +1 bonus to attacks with weapons. These bonuses are untyped. Does that mean if I cast Cure Light Wounds on my companions three times in a row, they will all receive a +3 to attack rolls if I selected War or a +6 bonus to damage rolls if I selected Strength? (At least for the next 7 rounds.)

Flickerdart
2012-06-08, 12:13 PM
Untyped bonuses from the same source don't stack.

Kansaschaser
2012-06-08, 12:22 PM
Untyped bonuses from the same source don't stack.

So, if I cast Cure Light Wounds and then Cure Moderate Wounds, would the bonuses from them stack? The carrier effect has a duration of 1 minute per level of the conjuration spell and an equivalent spell level. That means if I cast Cure Light Wounds, then for the next minute, they will look like they have a spell cast on them. It could even be dispelled. If I did the same with Cure Moderate Wounds, then it would last for 2 minutes.

Flickerdart
2012-06-08, 12:37 PM
So, if I cast Cure Light Wounds and then Cure Moderate Wounds, would the bonuses from them stack? The carrier effect has a duration of 1 minute per level of the conjuration spell and an equivalent spell level. That means if I cast Cure Light Wounds, then for the next minute, they will look like they have a spell cast on them. It could even be dispelled. If I did the same with Cure Moderate Wounds, then it would last for 2 minutes.
The source is Imbued Healing, not Cure Light Wounds.

VGLordR2
2012-06-08, 12:56 PM
If that's the case, why does Blood in the Water stack with itself?

Namfuak
2012-06-08, 01:01 PM

It appears the designers made a mistake. Obviously they intended for that particular bonus to stack with itself, but they are incorrect that untyped bonuses stack with each other when they are from the same source:

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).

As for Cure Light Wounds/Cure Moderate Wounds, that would be up to your DM to say what exactly the source is, presuming that imbued healing doesn't explicitly say that its bonuses do or do not stack with each other.

Duke of URL
2012-06-08, 01:11 PM

In short, despite the error in including the clause about it being "because this is an untyped bonus", they explicitly state that it stacks, and it is clearly the intent of the stance.

Flickerdart
2012-06-08, 01:38 PM
As for Cure Light Wounds/Cure Moderate Wounds, that would be up to your DM to say what exactly the source is, presuming that imbued healing doesn't explicitly say that its bonuses do or do not stack with each other.
It's not up to the DM. The wording of the feat is unambiguous. It doesn't say "the spell grants these benefits". It says you do.

Kansaschaser
2012-06-08, 01:52 PM
It's not up to the DM. The wording of the feat is unambiguous. It doesn't say "the spell grants these benefits". It says you do.

So, to get multiple bonuses, the spells would have to be cast by other people. So if there are two clerics in the party and we both had access to this feat, then since it's from two different clerics, the bonuses would stack then. Right?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-06-08, 01:58 PM
So, to get multiple bonuses, the spells would have to be cast by other people. So if there are two clerics in the party and we both had access to this feat, then since it's from two different clerics, the bonuses would stack then. Right?

It would still be multiple instances of a bonus from Imbued Healing, so probably not.

Multiple untyped bonuses or penalties from the same source don't stack. If you have six Blackguards surrounding you, you'll only be taking a -2 to saves instead of -12 because multiple instances of Aura of Despair don't stack. Just the same, multiple instances of a bonus from the same feat, even though it's from different characters, won't stack with each other.