PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger + Cyran Avenger?

Palanan
2012-06-08, 01:41 PM
I'm planning to use the lovely Mystic Ranger for one of the NPCs in my campaign, and I'm wondering how that would combine with Cyran Avenger. I'm thinking that their issue with "enemies of the Cyran people" could be rewritten as "enemies of the wilderness," with the Mystic Ranger there to deal out retribution.

Cyran Avenger seems designed for rangers, and three levels would give a decent bonus on ranged damage. I'd like to combine this with Mystic Ranger to end up with an NPC of eighth or ninth level.

I understand this would be nowhere near optimized, but I like quirky little builds that fit a particular concept. Any suggestions? Using Spellslayer Arrow, together with something from SotAO, this might make a good ambush for my PCs.

eggs
2012-06-08, 02:08 PM
The biggest limitation on the combination is Avenging Strike's Charisma basis, which would make CA pretty useless for a PC Ranger without absolutely astounding stat rolls. But for an NPC, daily endurance is less of an issue, so it seems like a reasonable enough dip.

As far as specific build advice, this framework can go enough directions that I'm not sure what would be most useful - basically any stat is going to be applicable to something. (Physical attributes for the normal lightly-armored warrior business; Int for skills and the option of wizard spells; Wis for Ranger spells, skills and a Will save patch; charisma for CA's defining ability)

Assuming an uneven stat distribution, this build is going to get more than normal out of feats and racial features that reallocate ability scores to character abilities.

Palanan
2012-06-08, 02:23 PM
The charisma issue did stand out, so I was thinking of using the Star Elf to help offset that. I'd been leaning towards something elf-ish anyway, and looking at this list (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0), it seems the Star Elf is the only variant that improves charisma.

Using Sword of the Arcane Order isn't a necessity, but it seems to tag along with the Mystic Ranger so I thought I'd mention it. Right now I'm just thinking some sort of ranged-ambush approach, fueled by a very militant attitude.

I dunno. Maybe a level or two of Cragtop Archer to top it off?