PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 PrC: Divine Marshal of Torm

Edhelras
2012-06-08, 03:24 PM
Hi, I'm new to designing PrCs, but I made a try and would like to hear if this PrC seems acceptable. The reason for this PrC is that I wanted a PrC for a Paladin of Torm, and found none to my liking. Actually, I liked the Justiciar of Tyr from Player's Guide to Faerun, but I'm not that fond of Tyr, and wanted something for a Paladin of Torm. So, I basically tried to translate the Justiciar of Tyr PrC, assuming that if that PrC is balanced, I might be able to create a similarly balanced PrC for a Tormish Paladin.

So, my main question is: Is this PrC sufficiently balanced, as compared to the Justiciar of Tyr?

Here it is:

Divine Marshal of Torm

The Divine Marshal of Torm is the eminent war leader, a champion of good, and a defender of order and the structure of society. The DMoT is sworn to defend the dogma of Torm, and has taken a special vow to protect the lawful authority of the land in which he’s operating. Loyalty and obedience are core values for the DMoT, both to be shown to his superior, and to be expected from his subordinates. He is also dedicated to the welfare of his soldiers, as well as to those who dwells in the land he’s protecting.

Requirements:
Alignment: LG
BAB +5
Skills: Diplomacy 7 ranks, Knowledge religion 6 ranks, Knowledge nobility 5 ranks, Heal 5 ranks
Feats: Leadership
Spells: Able to cast 2nd lvl divine spells
Patron Deity: Torm

Class features:
Hit dice: d8
Skill points per level: 2+ INT modifier
Class skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge Nobility, Knowledge religion, Knowledge geography, Knowledge history, Knowledge local, Profession, Sense motive.
Weapon and armor proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons.
Spellcasting: For each level, the DMoT gains new spells per day as if he had added another level of his divine spellcasting class.

Level-dependent benefits:
1. Know greatest enemy (from Spell Compendium, SC) at will, caster level as DMoT level. Lay on Hands, similar to and stacking with the Paladin ability.
2. Fuedalism. Add bonus equal to DMoT level to Knowledge nobility and Knowledge local checks, add same bonus to CHA checks when dealing with government and military hierarchy.
3. Healing +1. All spells with the conjuration (healing) descriptor are cast at +1 caster level (like the Healing domain effect for clerics; the effect stacks with that from the Healing domain).
4. Know vulnerabilities 1/day (from SC). Smite evil 1/day (in addition to other sources of Smite evil).
5. Torms’s Blessing. Use Heroism 1/day, caster level equals DMoT level.
6. Safe camp. Use Healthful rest (from SC) 1/day, caster level equals DMoT level.
7. Inspiration. Use Good hope 1/day, caster level equals DMoT level.
8. Holy weapon. Once per day per CHA modifier, as a free action and lasting for 1 round, the DMoT can infuse his melee weapon with the power of good, so that it behaves like a holy weapon (bypasses damage reduction -/good, deals an extra 2d6 damage against evil creatures).
9. Campaign leader. Use Hero’s feast 1/day, caster level equals DMoT level.
10. Smite evil 2/day (in addition to other sources of Smite evil). Torm’s Champion. The DMoT is constantly surrounded by a dispel evil effect, temporarily ended when used to dispel an evil outsider or dispelling an evil spell effect.

So, I'd be very pleased to hear your opinion!

Steward
2012-06-08, 04:18 PM
I really like it; it seems like a solid, thematic Paladin prestige class. It advances Smite Evil, which is really, really needed. If you wanted, you could probably grant even more daily uses of Smite Evil.

he DMoT is constantly surrounded by a dispel evil effect, temporarily ended when used to dispel an evil outsider or dispelling an evil spell effect.

What does "temporarily ended" mean? How long is the effect suppressed upon use? (One round? 2d4 minutes?)

Edhelras
2012-06-08, 04:47 PM
Thank you very much! I appreciate that!

For the Smite ability: I gave it one less Smite/day than the Justiciar of Tyr, because I was concerned I might have added a total of more abilities, and I didn't want to surpass that model Prc. Moreover, that PrC didn't provide Smite evil, but Smite chaos. So I thought that perhaps 3 uses of Smite Evil (in addition to those from the Paladin levels) was more powerful than 3 uses of Smite chaos plus those Smite evil from Paladin. But I'm not sure. The combination of Smite evil and Smite chaos makes the Justiciar of Tyr more versatile, perhaps. So, I might do as you say, add an extra daily use of Smite evil.

Temporarily: this was just taken (and abbreviated) from the Justiciar of Tyr "Aura of absolute law" description; the point is that the aura of dispel evil is discharged and ended when the aura is used for this purpose, then it can be reactivated as a free action on the character's next turn.

Gamer Girl
2012-06-13, 04:33 PM
This looks perfectly good for a holy warrior of Torm to me.