PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make Skin of the Construct suck less [3.5 PrC PEACH]

Blaze12692
2012-06-08, 04:50 PM
Master of Ectopic Skins

Requirements
To qualify to become a Master of Ectopic Skins, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
• Feat: Skin of the Construct
• Psionics: Manifester level 5th and able to manifest Astral Construct power.

Skill Points at each level: 2 + Int modifier.
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha) Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disquise, (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), and Use Psionic Device (Cha).

Hit Die: d4
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Expanded Options, Persistent Skin|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3||+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Shifting Skin|+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Boosted Skin|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Supreme Skin|+1 level of existing manifesting class[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Masters of Ectopic Skins gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: At every level from 2nd to 5th a Master of Ectopic Skins gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if she had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of Master of Ectopic Skins to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.

If a character had more than one manifesting class before she became a Master of Ectopic Skins, she must decide to which class she adds the new level of Master of Ectopic Skins for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.
I'm a little unsure about the full progression here might be getting too much power. Maybe 4/5 or 3/5?

Expanded Options (Ex): Your experience with astral constructs has allowed you to further develop their abilities. At 1st level you add the following options to your astral construct menu.
Menu A

Brawn (Ex): The astral construct does an additional +1 point of damage on a successful melee attack.

Burrow (EX): The astral construct has shovel like claws and a burrow speed of 20 feet.

Claws (Ex): The astral construct has razor sharp claws. Attacks are now considered claw attacks instead of slams. Damage from these claw attacks is 1d8 + Strength modifier. The claw attacks are considered slashing or piercing weapons. The type is chosen when the construct is manifested.

Dodge (Ex): The astral construct gains the Dodge feat even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Armor Spikes: The construct's body is covered in spikes, which allows the construct to deal an extra 1d6 points of piercing damage with a successful trample, constrict, bull rush, or grapple attack. The construct also can make a regular melee attack with the spikes, and they deal 1d6 points of damage (x2 critical) in that case.

Menu B

Great Cleave (Ex): The astral construct gains the Great Cleave feat even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Improved Brawn (Ex): The astral construct deals an additional +3 points of damage on a successful melee attack.

Improved Burrow (EX): The astral construct has shovel like claws and a burrow speed of 40 feet.

Reach (Ex): The astral construct's arms elongate, which increases its reach by 5 feet.

Stunning Fist (Ex): The astral construct gains the Stunning Fist feat even if it does not meet the prerequisites.

Menu C

Extra Brawn (Ex): The astral construct deals an additional +5 points of damage on a successful melee attack.

Tail Slap (Ex): The astral construct has a tail, and it can slap one opponent each round with its tail. A tail slap deals 2d8 points of damage plus 1-1/2 times its Strength bonus (round down) and is treated as a secondary attack.
I've read up on the Constructor PrC, and I figured as this was a PrC that also specialized in astral constructs albeit in a roundabout way I figured they should get those options too. I added burrowing, because astral constructs have every other type of movement available why not that one as well.

Persistent Skin (Ex): Your skill in wielding ectopic skins has allowed you to retain their power longer instead of lasting a round per level as the astral construct power your skins last three rounds per level, increasing to five per level at 3rd level, and finally ten per level at 5th.
If a major theme of your character is going to be using skin of the construct you might want to be able to use if for a decent length of time
Shifting Skin (Ex): Your specialization in ectopic skins has allowed you to shake the rigidity of the craft. Upon reaching 3rd level while you are wearing a skin you may change one menu option once a round as a move equivalent action . The option must be of the same level.
All the menu options of the astral construct reminded me of the old Ironman cartoon from the 90s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JBbnT-cIDVM#t=31s so I figured I'd add that as a class ability
Boosted Skin (Ex): Your skill with astral constructs has allowed you access to two options of the corresponding level. Upon reaching 4th level you gain the boosted construct feat, if you already possess it you may select a different psionic feat that you qualify for. Also when you reach the max level of a certain option group ie a level three astral construct for menu A you may use two menu options on when summoning your skin.
One of the crappiest things about Skin of the Construct is the fact that you only gain access to a single menu A option, I figured this and the Supreme Skin fixed that quite nicely
Supreme Skin (Ex): Your abilities with ectopic skins have far surpassed the average practitioner. Once you have attained 5th level you gain access to options from Menu B and C for use in your ectopic skin, however, if you couldn't summon a construct with them you can't suit up with them.
See Boosted Skin

Crappy name I know but I couldn't think of anything else.

Blaze12692
2012-06-09, 05:28 PM
Okay, I've reduced it to 4/5 manifesting, removed My Skin My Weapon, upped the entry requirements, and by extension the Hidden Talent route. Can anyone please tell me what they think? Does it look better, should I just kill it with fire, and never look back?

TuggyNE
2012-06-09, 11:21 PM
I can't think of much to say about this class; it seems entirely straightforward, but I don't have enough psionics mastery to be certain it's balanced.

There don't seem to be any obvious problems with it, and it's interesting enough for its niche, I think.

Blaze12692
2012-06-10, 09:16 PM
Thanks for replying, and that's what I was going for something straight forward, and to fill a potentially very fun albeit very specific niche.