PDA

View Full Version : Slahing Immunity

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-06-08, 05:29 PM
Is there any way to obtain immunity (or at least incredibly high DR) for a specific kind of damage?
On a humanoid character. Only slahsing immunity, not immunity to all damage.
Is it possible?

Invader
2012-06-08, 05:32 PM
Hammerblock Armor DR 5/Piercing or slashing

Spearblock Armor DR 5/Bludgeoning or slashing

You could scale it up to DR 10/15/20/immunity and price it accordingly.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-08, 05:37 PM
Hammerblock Armor DR 5/Piercing or slashing

Spearblock Armor DR 5/Bludgeoning or slashing

...You do realize the thing after the slash is what BYPASSES the DR, right?

Axeblock Armor is what you're looking for.

Jarian
2012-06-08, 05:39 PM
The Ironguard spell should provide immunity to 90+% of the slashing weapons you come in contact with.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-06-08, 05:39 PM
Thank you Invaderk, tho I'm afraid "5" is not really an incredibly high DR.
A minimum of 15 is required

The Ironguard spell should provide immunity to 90+% of the slashing weapons you come in contact with.
Unfortunately, this also works with non slashing weapons. It may look strange, but I don't want any other type of damage to be prevented on this character except for slashing damage... for concept reasons

Invader
2012-06-08, 05:46 PM
...You do realize the thing after the slash is what BYPASSES the DR, right?

Axeblock Armor is what you're looking for.

Yeah I did write done the wrong ones didn't I lol.

Still the concept is the same :smallbiggrin:

Invader
2012-06-08, 05:49 PM
Thank you Invaderk, tho I'm afraid "5" is not really an incredibly high DR.
A minimum of 15 is required

That's that why I said just scale up the DR with the cost. DR 15 could comfortably fall in the +4-5 range. If you make it just slashing and not 2 types I'd say it could be +3-4.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-06-08, 05:51 PM
That's that why I said just scale up the DR with the cost. DR 15 could comfortably fall in the +4-5 range. If you make it just slashing and not 2 types I'd say it could be +3-4.

...I think you screwed it up again. DR/slashing is only vulnerable to slashing, not only resistant to slashing.

And what about piercing weapons? If the fluff says he can't be cut, why can an arrow go through him?

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-06-08, 05:55 PM
And what about piercing weapons? If the fluff says he can't be cut, why can an arrow go through him?Actually I don't know.
The character is supposed to be Buggy the clown.
I can already do everything else, I just need slashing immunity.

That's that why I said just scale up the DR with the cost. DR 15 could comfortably fall in the +4-5 range. If you make it just slashing and not 2 types I'd say it could be +3-4.I can't use house rules, not even reasonable ones.
Otherwise, I'd just give him a level adjustment and state his abilities.
The challenge is doing it within actual D&D rules.

Invader
2012-06-08, 05:59 PM
...I think you screwed it up again. DR/slashing is only vulnerable to slashing, not only resistant to slashing.

And what about piercing weapons? If the fluff says he can't be cut, why can an arrow go through him?

Nope that's exactly what I meant lol

Slashing and piercing are pretty different. Slash and chain mail with a scimitar and then shoot it with an arrow. The scimitar won't do anything but the arrow will go right through.

IncoherentEssay
2012-06-08, 07:25 PM
Does it have to be playable, or will an NPC-only solution do? Specifically, there's the Swarmshifter template (Libris Mortis p.127) in it's Undead Parts variant. 20ft land/fly speed but only takes half damage from piercing/slashing instead of total immunity. Go necropolitan, apply swarmshifter, die and Resurrect -> retain Swarmshifter template since far as i know nothing makes you lose templates even if you couldn't take them anymore. Find a way to downgrade your size in swarmform and you get total immunity, such as Reduce Person(there's a ring for it in Lords of Madness, in the Tsochar section) or Compression.

But if that won't do, you could use God-Blooded from MM V (dr10/-, but you have to choose to apply it, since it runs out after 40 damage in total) or Fiendish (DR/magic, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to downgrade it into "magic or slashing or bludgeoning". The misc resistances are annoying extras, but there aren't many unintrusive templates) as approximations.

Hirax
2012-06-08, 07:58 PM
Half-clay golem (MM2) gives you immunity to slashing and piercing. That's halfway to what you want, sort of, though getting it approved for a PC is pretty sketchy.